IGNORED

Scoot at angle while trailering ?

BEER30

Just have a ? about placing the scoot at an angle while trailering ? I have an opportunity to buy an enclosed trailer at a deal . It's 7 x14 Continental V-nose , tandem axle enclosed . I want to haul the scoot and BEERCART within it . I can get both inside , but both are at an angle . Weight distribution is not an issue ! It's only that I cannot place the scoot and cart side by side as the total combined width's of both are greater than the inside trailer width .

The seller allowed me to bring the trailer home to see if they will both fit . As I said , I can get both inside . The scoot when placed inside is about 10-15 degrees off of true forward . It already has track tie-downs and wheels chocks . I would only have to move the one wheel chock to reposition it for the scoot . Of course I would I would extra tie-down straps to secure scoot as it'sin an angle because of braking and curves .

It's a nice trailer and at a good price , so I need to know ASAP to secure the sale .

TIA ,

BEER30

I agree with Carl here too. As long as the scoot and trailer are secured well there shouldn't be any problems. Will the Beercart still be attached or will you be securing it seperately from the bike? Either way I don't see a problem as long as both are well secured with tie downs. I say go for it since it's a good deal for you.

Larry

I have the 6x12 continental enclosed trailer and would strongly recommend using steel braces under the floor when you determine where you place your tie downs and wheel chock. I used uchannel iron all the way across the bottom of the trailer floor as the trailer floor in mine is only 1/2 inch plywood.

You wont have any major issues, but with the stress of the tall bike being subjected to back and forth motion because its not straight in the trailer ,extra tie downs would be recommended.

I also went to Costco and bought their rubberized garage floor covering, cut it to fit, and put it down before I placed my tie downs and wheel chocks, it makes oil and wet cleanups so much easier, plus it looks like diamond plate.

Brian

The scoot and cart will be parallel to one another , but at angle . I would need a 22' trailer if they were in line ! The track anchors are bolted to the metal floor frame using stainless steel bolts on 1" centers and also in between . The seller is also a biker and takes real good care of his equipment. If I get the trailer , I will place the BEERCART up forward , same angle as the V-nose with rear bumper of the cart up against the wall . I will fabricate a carriage mount for that bumper to mount tothe wall with rubber bushings to prevent wear . Then make a removeable hitch post , bolted to floor and wall with a trailer ball for the cart hitch itself . This way , I will only need one ratchet strap , dead center underneath the cart to strap down , so no bunny-hoppin if I hit a bump . The scoot will be mounted in a chock ! As it sits in the trailer right now , the track anchors are still in ideal locations to secure the tie-down straps too for the scoot , so no need to move them . The are 3 of the tracks secured to the floor , L-Center-R sides . As I drove the scoot in , the front tire is just inside side of the right track and the rear tire is left of the center track . I can place more angle on the scoot , but I prefer less angle if possible . The scoot will have about 10" of clearence away from the rear door/ramp . If I were to drive the scoot straight forward , I do lack the 6" of hitting the trunk if I close the door/ramp . I will definately use more tie-down straps on the scoot just as a precaution .

BEER30

Have you figured out what your hitch weight is going to be? I was told the ideal tongue weight was sposed to be 10-15 % of total weight.

I hope you got good suspension in your truck if the scoot will be pushed all the way forward.

Geez I gotta learn to read, i just noticed that youre going to put your beercart in front.......I am still curious about that weight ratio on the tongue.

Brian

Brian ,

Well , I look at it this way . Just about all the scoot weight will be slightly forward over the 2 axles . Then their is the empty weight of the BEERCART which about 185 lbs which will up front in the V-nose section . Not that will not include the BEER , ATV jack , more BEER , spare tire , more BEER , tool box , more BEER , new cabinets on upper wall for mics. supplies , and of course More BEER ! So far ,I still under what the trailer and truck are rated for .

Now I have another problem , the wife's beer ! :think: Dang-it , I'll be overloaded now :bang head: .

BEER30

Brian ,

Well , I look at it this way . Just about all the scoot weight will be slightly forward over the 2 axles . Then their is the empty weight of the BEERCART which about 185 lbs which will up front in the V-nose section . Not that will not include the BEER , ATV jack , more BEER , spare tire , more BEER , tool box , more BEER , new cabinets on upper wall for mics. supplies , and of course More BEER ! So far ,I still under what the trailer and truck are rated for .

Now I have another problem , the wife's beer ! :think: Dang-it , I'll be overloaded now :bang head: .

BEER30

woohoo!!!! if youre travellin with that much beer, I am following you to the next rally!!!!

youll love havin the trailer in case of crappy weather or even just for storage to keep lil fingers from touching everything. I had forgotten that the next size up from mine was tandem axles which makes a big difference when dealing with bigger weights, you prolly wont even notice its behind you.

Have fun and ride safe!

Brian

I don't know of any technical problem to doing what you suggest, but how are you going to deal with the shame of trailering a real motorcycle? :rotf:These bikes are built to be RIDDEN!

I suppose you could paint Hardly Davidson on the tank, but that just compounds the problem! Then you'd be poser with a bike that costs less than $50,000!! :stickpoke: Probably better to just buy the trailer and put some Hardly Davidson stickers on it and leave it empty - the rest of the posers won't know the difference.

Goose

Goose ,

No poser here ! Just need it every once in awhile when needed with a 1st rate excuse . I have only trailered when I have to drop the scoot at the shop for maintenance when I had no one to fetch me . I have only trailered once to a rally and that was when the wife and I were dog azz tired leaving work in the afternoon , driving across 3 states to join up with fellow members to drive just as far to the rally on the last leg .

I will need an enclosed trailer when we get the Motorhome as it will be the mobile garage .

Now if I were to put stickers on the side of the trailer , it would be "ACME Manure Farm" . That would at least give a 2nd or 3rd rate honest man a little bit more to think about before he tries to steal anything .

Here's some pic with BC and scoot inside .

BEER30

I was a little concerned when I started reading this post. I thought there would be way too much strain on the straps. But now that I've seen the pics...I rethink that and believe it will be ok.

Question....can the bike trailer be stood on her back side? If so would that give you enough room to straighten the bike a little?

Thats a good looking rig.

Question....can the bike trailer be stood on her back side? If so would that give you enough room to straighten the bike a little?

Thats a good looking rig.

Well , I don't think so . The BC body is 6' long itself , not counting the tongue . Something around 9'+ inches all together . Besides I have the built in ice chest and battery got the remote lid to deal with . I even thought about a trolley . A frame on casters that would allow the BC to attach like a rotisserie . Turn it so it is like on it's side and roll it into the trailer . Drain the ice chest and remove the contents and battery from the BC . Now that would be doable .

BEER30

If you buy this I would suggest turning the trailer in the oposite direction so that you can enter the side door and not have to climb over the trialer tongue. Look into a lockable wheel chock like they have for lawn mowers. ride the trailer into it and fold up to lock. With a wall mounted trailer ball you would need very little strapping to lock that down.

With e-Track on the floor you probably have 3/4inch plywood. might back oputr some of the lagbolts and replace w. thru bolts on the frame either side of the tie down point. 2" tie down straps are rated for 10000# cut them to size one across the ball in back and two for the front forks.

The only time you really have to worry about weight shifting if whith major potholes or bumps. If you're planning on running into a wall no amount of strapping is going to help:D

Max tongue weight for a three inch receiver with a 2" ball is 5000# if memory serves, 2-5/16th with a 1" shank will jump that to 10000#. Little overkill for what you're hauling. Do Not pull this with a 1" receiver and/or a 1-7/8 ball

oh, I pull a 24 foot 12000# GVW trailer every day:mo money:

Hey Beer! It won't work. Don't try to do it. Just tell me where the trailer is and I'll buy it just to save you. So much for the BS. Seriously though, I've hauled a LOT of wheeled equipment over the years and found it best to secure the axle (s) and let the suspension help with the ride. IE, anchor BC's axle and let its springs work. This is not as practicle on bikes so make sure you have it tied and anchored GOOD. It's hard to watch your load in an enclosed. (unless you install a camera) Looks like it will make you a sweet setup.

:178:

I don't know Gene, I was concerned when we discussed it on the phone, and after seeing the pictures I'm still concerned about the weight of that bike under a hard braking situation.

In my opinion it isn't worth taking the chance on damaging both the bike and the Beer Cart on the chance that it might go over, even if it's a slim chance. I mean heck you have that trailer that you can put the BC on top of. I thought that was pretty cool.

I know it's a nice trailer at a good price but is it really worth it?

BTW I got the bluetooth working again. I had to update the bluetooth firmware on the Zumo.

Thanks for the help.

Is that a CargoMate trailer??? Sure looks a lot like mine did before I started finishing out the inside. I pulled all the walls down and fully insulated them. Also did the ceiling and put up paneling to hold the insulation in place ....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/01REDWING/th_0708GettingClose.jpg

8' X 24' gives me lots of room for my trailer, two full size bikes and assorted goodies.... Don't trailer often but in a couple years when I retire we plan to spend months on the road. The motor home for us and the trailer for the toys!!! :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Is that a CargoMate trailer??? Sure looks a lot like mine did before I started finishing out the inside. I pulled all the walls down and fully insulated them. Also did the ceiling and put up paneling to hold the insulation in place ....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/01REDWING/th_0708GettingClose.jpg

8' X 24' gives me lots of room for my trailer, two full size bikes and assorted goodies.... Don't trailer often but in a couple years when I retire we plan to spend months on the road. The motor home for us and the trailer for the toys!!! :whistling::whistling::whistling:

No it's a Continental trailer . I would still like to do to this what you did to yours , by the way , that is a nice set-up . For now I might have to remain with a smaller trailer , so the Nissan Murano can pull . The P/U can haul more , but Murano for backup vehicle until we get our MH . When we get our MH , then I can either sale or trade-in this trailer if I get it .

Now that someone else has the same plans the wife and I have , perhaps ......maybe Goose will understand now that having a trailer isn't sinful ! :duck::duck::moon:

BEER30

Gene,

Sorry I did not call you back yesterday after our breakfast M&E like I said I would.

I ended up going over to DaveCB's house and helping him install rear lighting on his bike, and forgot all about returning your call..:sign13:

Continuing our conversation.....I do not see a problem at all with the bike being in the trailer on an angle as long as the front wheel is in a wheel chock of some type where it can not turn when brakes are applied or when rounding sharp curves.

When I hauled my bike, I also had two "emergency" tie-down straps that were attached to the ceiling frame and to the handle bars. These tie downs were not pulled real taunt..because the bike suspension will give a little when hauling the bike and you do not want to rip your handle bars off when you hit a big speed bump.... but I had these "just in case" the bike did try to **** sideways, these straps would "hold it upright"..I never needed them luckily..but they were there in case..

I'm not sure how the tracking system was installed on the plywood flooring in that trailer, but hopefully they use something underneath the flooring when securing the mounting hardware so that the plywood does not give way and a mounting bolt can not be pulled up through the wood floor from excess strain like slamming on brakes..

I installed non slip vinyl flooring in mine.. Made it easy to sweep and mop clean when camping....