The gear indicator on my 84 stopped working properly last summer. I checked all the wires coming from the transmission with my ohm meter and all are making a complete circuit. Now where is the doodad/gadget/thingamabob that I have to check to see if it's malfunctioning? I can't find it in my manual.

Thanks, Bill

• 2 months later...
Bill

You might need to take the computer module out of the dash and resolder the pins in it. Sort of like the error codes fix in the CLASS.

I finally got around to resoldering those pins like you suggested the other day. Still does the same thing. Next time I have some of the bodywork off, I'll have to check the wires between the dash and the wires going to the transmission.

Any other suggestions?

for the nuetral/gear position switch on the left side of the bike under the side cover. Clean contacts. 6 wires.

Ground each of the 6 wires/connectors at the switch under the middle gear cover. If the monitor for the gears starts working it's probably this switch. Take it off and clean everything.

The brass pin wears down and should be replaced.

Part # are for 84-93 , prices are online just to give you ballpark prices

GASKET,CRCS COVER2 (thats the middle gear case gskt)

3JP-15461-01-00 (replaces 3JP-15461-00-00) $2.68

SPRING,COMPRESSION

90501-06022-00 $1.90

POINT, NEUTRAL (the brass pin)

4UN-18542-00-00 (replaces 278-18542-00-00) $0.92

O-RING (that seals the neutral switch, its a orange o ring)

93210-29196-00 $2.82

Yes, the contacts, wear. Each contact is Ground. As the switch rotates, a different wire gets a ground that goes up to the Indicator.

I installed a new switch unit, it still did not make good contact.

I put a Dab of Solder on each of the contacts of the switch, then it worked.

Its a ***** to change.

Also, if you have never worked on your Clutch Slave Cylinder, would be a good time to replace that also. You have to remove the cylinder to get at the switch.

( at least if I remember correctly )

Or else just forget about the indicator, and drive happily down the road :Venture:

The gear indicator on my 84 stopped working properly last summer. I checked all the wires coming from the transmission with my ohm meter and all are making a complete circuit. Now where is the doodad/gadget/thingamabob that I have to check to see if it's malfunctioning? I can't find it in my manual.

Thanks, Bill

for the nuetral/gear position switch on the left side of the bike under the side cover. Clean contacts. 6 wires.

Ground each of the 6 wires/connectors at the switch under the middle gear cover. If the monitor for the gears starts working it's probably this switch. Take it off and clean everything.

It is mounted below the slave cylinder. I had found that the one on Friesman1's bike was loose & leaking oil as a result. Try tightening the 3 mounting screws, but not too tight, as the plastic plate can be be brittle & crack. His had erratic readings, sometimes working & sometimes not.

Well... when I checked the switch with the ohm meter, I clipped one lead to the engine for my ground and clipped the other lead to each wire coming from the switch one at a time. Then I changed gears till I got a completed circuit. I did this with each wire. After doing this I could tell which wire was for each gear. Before doing any of this I had the switch off and got a good idea how it worked and made sure I cleaned all the contacts and stretched the spring a bit to put more pressure on the contacts. I'll try using my test light next by connecting it to the positive battery terminal and clip it to each wire coming from the switch and see if I get different results. But I'm also assuming that if my neutral light comes on when it's in neutral that the gear indicator would also display an "N"? Now that you guys got me thinking, I could just ground each wire going up to the dash from the switch and see if the indicator changes. :scratchchin:

Well I'll let ya guys know when I figure it out.

Thanks for all your input, Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Checked things out again today. The switch in the tranny checks out fine when tested with the test light in each gear. When I ground the wires leading up to the display the neutral light comes on but says it's in 4th. If I ground the 5th gear wire it says it's in 5th. All the rest still say it's in 4th. Any ideas what I should check next?

Thanks, Bill

WOW! Does this switch exist on a 2nd gen??? Could I switch the OD indicator to be a first gear indicator.

There is a quick way to tell if you are in first gear on a 2nd gen, simply crack the throttle, if your bike takes off like a bat out of hell, you are in first gear:rotf:

• 4 years later...

Wow, I didn't realize I've been ignoring this problem for this long. I finally got around to getting a spare CMU and got it put in. Now everything works as it should. As I thought, nothing wrong with the switch on the tranny or any of the wiring. Now when I get time I'll have to go through the bad CMU and see if I missed anything the first time I had it apart. Gonna check all the solder joints again and see if there are any bad components I can find.

I just thought I would give an update in case anybody else ever has similar symptoms and to help point them hopefully in the right direction.

Thanks for all your input guys, even if it was so long ago.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend everybody. Ride safe and don't forget, it's not National "BBQ Day" coming up.

L8tr g8trs!

Bill

:bighug:

I have a 2nd gen now, " No " gear indicator, so far I don't really miss it !!

But, you get 10 points for fixing your's !!! :whistling: :stirthepot:

And you lose 17 1/2 points for going "2nd Gen" on us.... :no-no-no:

:rasberry:

:sign yeah that: But inquiring minds want to know, will it make a 2nd gen faster?!?!?

I have an '83 (no indicator available) and I dropped in a '88 engine that had the gear indicator switch. I now have a '84 gauge cluster that I want to install so I can have the gear indicator. All I gotta do is re-wire the connectors (I got them with the gauges) and all should be good.

-Andrew