I laid the bike down in Aug. of last year and messed it up in the front pretty badly. Got that all fixed and thought all was good. Yesterday did some maint., oil change, rear end oil change, etc. Took the left saddle bag off to get to the rear end fill cap, all was good other than rusted bolts that broke off, or so I thought. Went to put saddle bag back on and nothing lines up. Got to looking and when I laid bike down the saddle bag crash bar was pushed back and in towards main frame.

Any one have any ideas on how to straighten saddle bag crash bar so I can get bag back on. I have thought about getting a couple of chains and putting a chain from the mounted hitch to my pick up and hooking up the other chain to the crash bar and my wife's mini van then using a ratchet chain binder to tighten the chain and hopefully pull the crash bar back into position. Sound doable, or completely out to lunch??

Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.

Don H.

Check the crash bar mounting points on the frame. Mine were bent in towards the frame and when I went to put on a new crash bar it wouldn't line up. I took crash bar off and used a slide hammer with a hook and pulled the mounts back out and it lined up. If you don't have a slide hammer you can buy a cheap one at Harbor Freight. You could loosen the bolts up of the crash bar and put the saddle bag on then tighten the crash bar up. the crash bars on the 86-93 are pretty tough.

Dave

Don, could you use a small Hydrolic jack? like a " Port-a-Power " The chain thing may work, but like we said the other night " This can`t be Good" have your bike chained between 2 cars.. LOL I don`t know, it may work. Let me know, I can load up some tools and things and come give ya a hand if you need it.. just let me know.

Kreg

Just a thought not knowing exactly how bad it is bent or out of alignment...

Maybe you could use your small sissor jack from your car, and piece of a 2x4...

You can place the jack & piece of 2/4 between your tire and frame and then you can slowly screw out the jack and "control" the pressure and distance that you push the frame out..????

A phot speeks a thousand words..maybe post a pic or two of the bent frame so I (or we) can see how it is bent, and what direction it needs to be adjusted... :think:..then maybe we can come up wiht an idea or two that may help you.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Just looking at it, it appears to be bent towards the back about 1- 1 1/2 " and in towards the main frame less than an inch. Don't really have a lot of clearance to get anything between it and the main frame area. With all of the accessory lighting on it, it's going to be touchy to try and pry on it, that is why I thought of the chain or small cable way of pulling it. Still may try any or all of your suggestion.

Don H.

I laid the bike down in Aug. of last year and messed it up in the front pretty badly. Got that all fixed and thought all was good. Yesterday did some maint., oil change, rear end oil change, etc. Took the left saddle bag off to get to the rear end fill cap, all was good other than rusted bolts that broke off, or so I thought. Went to put saddle bag back on and nothing lines up. Got to looking and when I laid bike down the saddle bag crash bar was pushed back and in towards main frame.

Any one have any ideas on how to straighten saddle bag crash bar so I can get bag back on. I have thought about getting a couple of chains and putting a chain from the mounted hitch to my pick up and hooking up the other chain to the crash bar and my wife's mini van then using a ratchet chain binder to tighten the chain and hopefully pull the crash bar back into position. Sound doable, or completely out to lunch??

Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.

Don H.

I've got a good set of 1st gen 86/93 crash bars I'll sell with no road rash on them for $150.00 plus shipping. :mo money:

• 10 months later...