IGNORED

Something getting wet

I have a 87 model and when it gets wet the tach drops to 0 and it runs like crap. This happened to me at Vogel last year when we started out on the tail of the dragon. We left the gas station and I hit a pothole that splashed quite a bit of water up on the bike. It started missing, spitting, sputtering and wouldn't take gas. As long as I don't give it much gas it runs ok and the tach registers, but when i accelerate, the rpm drops to 0 and it starts sputtering and popping. At Vogel I also had water in the gas when we drained the carbs, but after that it still ran ragged, so I let it get almost in the red and then shut it down. The next morning we left coming home and it didn't miss a beat, so I'm thinking since I washed her today and it started doing this again, I am getting water in something. I am suppose to leave at 7 in the morning going on an all day ride with some friends, but when I crank her up in the morning, if she is still acting up, then I won't be going. I didn't take the side covers off when I washed it and I didn't get much water on the engine, but I did spray the faux gas tank down so i'm thinking water got into something from the top. All spark plug wires and caps have been changed last year, so I don't think it would be pertaining to that. I have heard of the TCI getting wet, but what do you do to stop it?? if that is the case or any other suggestions would be appreciated. Even if I could get it dry to where I could make the trip tomorrow, I would worry about the cause later. Thanks

thom440 is on the right track. Also...

Read post #5 (with picture) in this posting...

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12413

--------

But probably the best thing to do if thiese 2 things don't work, is to remove the TCI, open it up and let it dry out, either in the sun or in an oven (at low temp) 120* for 1/2 hour. Some guys have re-located the TCI to the top of the airbox, it keeps it dry there. There is a problem with where it is located...heat and then cools can cause condensation.

I will take a look at the 2 plugs on the tci and I will double check the plug mentioned. I cleaned and put dielectric grease on the plug beside the seat last fall, but will check it again. On the TCI, exactly where is it located. I know where the coils are. Also, to put the TCI on top of the airbox, do you have to rewire or is it enough slack to do this. Thanks for all the help guys.

Also, when you have battery box out. find the Yellow 2 wire plugs ( 4 of them ) going to each Ing. coil, ( under battery box ) and pull apart, and clean these contacts also, as long as its opened up.

Also, because of easy Access, Pull the plug wires out of each coil, and nip off about 1/4 inch of cable, and re screw them back into position, and replace the hold down collor. I also put some Silastic sealant on these to keep out moisture.

Also, if you pull out the TCI to Dry it, when cover is off, resolder the pigtails from the Two plugs, where they connect to the circuit board, there might be some crystalized solder joints here.

This is a fairly common problem.

There's two holes in my TCI "bottom" and if you pull the cover, desolder the two large connectors and pull the board, there's a clear milar sheet for protection from those holes but that wouldn't stop high humidity or water drops if they get there.

I assume the holes are for heat expansion or...?

But that REALLY talks well for moving the TCI up higher... and since there IS enough cable length...

I opened one from an 84 and it actualy had some OIL inside... a thin film but knowing electronics don't need regular lubrication... I figure maybe a former owner got carried away with a can of spray lubricant or... But it cleaned up well once you get those boards out.

If you aren't good at soldering, these old connections might well be handed off to a friend that is better. They are awefully hard to replace for a spoiled soldering job.

It's also my understanding that one of the "mods" through the years by Yamaha was to toss the fat, white diodes with the blue line for 1n4007. The fat ones were found prone to failure. I think there's ten in there.. almost in a row near the heatsinks,

"Some guys have re-located the TCI to the top of the airbox, it keeps it dry there. There is a problem with where it is located...heat and then cools can cause condensation."

Another problem with location - it sits right under the battery. Given enough time, batteries always leak stuff that corrodes whatever is under them, and it accelerates corrosion on the TCI connectors. Mine did exatctly what yours is doing, but only when I pulled the tank cover and sprayed water down in there for some reason. I didn't pull the TCI (PITA) but managed to get my hand down and unplug it. I used connector cleaner and grease, and several plug - unplug cycles to clean the connectors and it's working fine so far.

Jeremy

Thanks for all of the advice guys. If you noticed in the watering hole under "Fun in the sun", you know the bike cranked up the next morning and did great. I guess she dried out. I will be taking a look at the TCI when I get a chance. For right now, I just won't ride in the rain LOL! Thanks again for the advice.