IGNORED

Nitrogen in your tires

slick97spirit

I use a very expenive, and hard to obtain, high tech gas mix in all my tires.

Nitrogen 780,840 ppmv

Oxygen 209,460 ppmv

Argon 9,340 ppmv

Water vapor ~4,000 ppmv

Carbon dioxide 383 ppmv

Neon 18.18 ppmv

Helium 5.24 ppmv

Methane 1.745 ppmv

Krypton 1.14 ppmv

Hydrogen 0.55 ppmv

nitrous oxide 0.3 ppmv

xenon 0.09 ppmv

ozone 0.0 to 0.07 ppmv

nitrogen dioxide 0.02 ppmv

iodine 0.01 ppmv

Oh, and trace amounts of carbon monoxide and ammonia

IMHO, the key is the iodine.

I use a very expenive, and hard to obtain, high tech gas mix in all my tires.

Nitrogen 780,840 ppmv

Oxygen 209,460 ppmv

Argon 9,340 ppmv

Water vapor ~4,000 ppmv

Carbon dioxide 383 ppmv

Neon 18.18 ppmv

Helium 5.24 ppmv

Methane 1.745 ppmv

Krypton 1.14 ppmv

Hydrogen 0.55 ppmv

nitrous oxide 0.3 ppmv

xenon 0.09 ppmv

ozone 0.0 to 0.07 ppmv

nitrogen dioxide 0.02 ppmv

iodine 0.01 ppmv

Oh, and trace amounts of carbon monoxide and ammonia

IMHO, the key is the iodine.

Clean air is getting hard to come by these days.

I work at a car dealer and I've had it in my Road Star tires since April. Haven't had to add any pressure since then. In fact, if I'm loosing any it's from when I check the pressure! :happy34:

I work at a different dealer now that doesn't have the machine or I would have it it my Venture.

Why Inflate with Nitrogen?

Compressed air is your tire’s worst enemy. Air is about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% other. Nitrogen is inert, non combustible and non corrosive. Oxygen, on the other hand, is immensely destructive to rubber and other tire materials. As soon as a tire is manufactured and exposed to air, the effects of “oxidation” begin to deteriorate the rubber. Over time it loses its elasticity and strength, just like an old rubber band you’ve probably found around your home. This same process occurs in tires inflated with air as the oxygen attacks the rubber molecules, working from the inside out, until the oxygen, and its destructive properties, permeates the tire structure and ultimately the tread.

The purity of nitrogen available from nitrogen generators generally ranges from 95% (low purity) to 99.9% (high purity). A minimum of 95% purity in the serviced tire is the minimum allowable purity that must be maintained in the tire to enjoy the benefits that nitrogen provides.

Tire Pressure loss:

1. Permeation. Permeation is the normal process by which the air in a tire bleeds through the tire’s body or carcass. It is typical for an "air" filled tire to lose 1-2 psi of pressure every month through normal permeation whereas it can take several months for a NitroFilled tire to lose a single pound of pressure.
  2. Temperature Change. All gases expand and contract with temperature. If you live in an area that experiences dramatic temperature changes, you will have to adjust your tire pressure accordingly. Typically you will only have to adjust your tire pressure "up", adding pressure as ambient temperatures decrease. Count on losing about 2% of your total tire pressure for every 10 degrees in temperature reduction.

Unless you have a readily available free source of nitrogen, it ain't worth the money.