IGNORED

Center Stand

The only commercial one that I know of is made by Rivco and can be purchased through Diamond R, but there have been many of them break at the welds and bikes dropped.

Somewhere on the site, there are directions on making an adapter bracket to use a 1st gen stand on the 2nd gens. Freebird used to make them, but has stopped. I have one and it works fine.

Can anyone tell me what advantages there are to having a center stand.

I have one and have tried using it a couple times. Frankly it is a PITA to use. Difficult to put up on the stand and it doesn't takes any of the wheels off the ground (yes I know that you can only have one off the ground at a time w/ a center stand). Only advantage I can think of to have one is when doing things like oil changes and checking the oil level. I think that can also be accomplished by putting a couple 2x4 blocks under the kickstand.

Centerstand makes oil changes super easy.

Also, I've used it to plug the rear tire before. The Venture is a heavy bike and it's difficult to get on the stand, but the capability to easily plug the rear tire is my main reason. The Venture is hard to push around on a flat.

Centerstand makes oil changes super easy.

Also, I've used it to plug the rear tire before. The Venture is a heavy bike and it's difficult to get on the stand, but the capability to easily plug the rear tire is my main reason. The Venture is hard to push around on a flat.

Your posting caught my eye...you okay with a plugged tire? What has been your experience with them? Are they safe?

Does anyone make a Center Stand for the 2nd Generation?

I got one, I love it. Bike takes up less room in the garage and makes tire pressure checks and oil changes a snap. I inspect my tires before every trip. The stand makes this quite easy.

Just buy a 1st gen centerstand off ebay and make your own brakets per the bracket article and your off.

Freebird stand article

As for being hard to put on the stand, I drive the rear tire up on a 2 X 6 and then it's not hard at all. I keep a 2 X 4 in the saddlebag that I use on on the road. It's cut just right to place under the front of the frame enabling the front and rear to be off the ground at the same time.

Ponch

As for being hard to put on the stand, I drive the rear tire up on a 2 X 6 and then it's not hard at all. I keep a 2 X 4 in the saddlebag that I use on on the road. It's cut just right to place under the front of the frame enabling the front and rear to be off the ground at the same time.

Ponch[/quote ]

Thanks for the idea!!!!!!!!!! Just about gave myself a hernia with this thing! Don't know why I didn't think of it!:doh:

Lifted it once while wearing slippers and my toes felt like I had been perching like a parakeet for three days or so.

Your posting caught my eye...you okay with a plugged tire? What has been your experience with them? Are they safe?

Ive ridden on plugged tires and have had no problems. I've even ran a plugged Metzler before and the tire wore fine for me. I have seen plugs leak on other machines though. Everyone has to assess their own risk.

I put my last tire on and 100 miles later had a machine screw in it. I stuck a plug in it and 13,000 miles later, it's still not leaking.

Edited by flb_78

• 1 year later...

I used a LOT of them when I was putting them together and selling them. I saw no difference at all in them. Keep your eyes open and you may find them even cheaper. I paid as little as $12.50 including shipping but never more than $25.00 including shipping.

• 8 years later...