IGNORED

Christmas time shopping/looking

Older...

We recently compared in the showrooms most of the tour bikes again: Venture, Gold Wing, Electra Glide Classic, and BMW’s offering.

For room and "back seat approval" the Venture wins.

Just can’t get ourselves to "Do It;" On any of those available choices.

Fact is there are no bad ones, they are all good and/or better in some way or the other.

The wife loves her 2008 400 Burgman, and is hinting on the 2009 650 version for me.

You know, in the real world it just might be the right choice.

When my lady speaks, I listen.

Believe it or not, It’s down to Venture or Burgman 650. Almost worlds apart yet so close to our riding needs.

I've had two Ventures and most recently a 2008 Goldwing. Lost my 99 RSV to Katrina when our house was flooded. Wrecked my 06 RSV in WV last year when another biker pulled out in front of me. Lost the Wing this past September when I was broadsided by a lady who ran a red light. I loved both of my Ventures very much. Put 58k on the 99; ran it from Portland Maine to Portland Oregon. Only had 18k on the 06. When I lost it I decided it was time for a change and after much looking and head scratching I settled on the Wing, airbag model. That was an awesome bike. Didn't take long to get used to the riding position and was, overall, very comfortable. A tad more leg room would have been nice but I was VERY happy with it. If I were to get another bike right now it would be a Wing.

But after two accidents in one year, with a quadruple bypass in between, I have decided, with the insistance of my wife, to give up bikes. I still love them but I just don't want to tempt fate.

If you decide on the Venture I don't think you will be sorry. It is definitely the classiest looking bike of the bunch, and very comfortable and reliable. But whatever your choice, good luck and happy riding !!!

Greetings Rich,

Sorry to hear about all of the problems with bikes, Katrina, health and such.

Motorcycles aren't like cigarettes, you can always take a break and come back to them. They will also always be hazardous to your health, but there are few things that aren't.

Take a break after those bypasses, let your body and spirit heal a bit. You don't have those type of operations and accidents without some type of emotional and mental stress appearing. And I guess all of those things make us realize our mortality.

Sometimes it takes a few months or even a few years to get back in the saddle, but after that long a service to our country (thank you for your service), that short time is a piece of cake.

We are bikers. We look forward to that little bit of freedom we can only feel on a bike. So, please don't give up, just take a break while your body and mind heal. I'm sure your wife can understand that also because she knows how important it is to you.

Although I told my lady I was ready to ride right out of the hospital (which of course upset her as it should have at the time), it took me 5 years to be fully able to ride again. Started with trikes, went to scooters and finally back to cruisers. 12,000 miles this year making it over 35,000 since I started riding again.

Remember all those great project bikes? My 1982 Virago XV920 is up and runs great and actually took me from DC to Reno and back last year. Not something for everybody, but there is always something to keep you occupied until you do what you want.

Hi Dan,

If I could walk in your shoes for a few miles, roam in your head and see what you like and dislike, watch you make decisions of what you consider to be important, what your bank accoount says and most of all, what you would do with a RSV or Burgman 650, I might consider making a suggestion, but...

I see you ride a Suzuki LS650. How many miles do you have on it?

Looking at the two, Burgman and Savage, there isn't much difference in engine size, but a whole lot of difference in handling, storage, comfort. One is a motorcycle (oh, shivers) and one is a scooter. I don't think either one is comparable to the cruising capabilities of a Wing, RSV, Harley (I didn't really include that did I? Buy the Burgman and RSV for the same price and your problem is solved :happy65: ) or other bike although, any of those bikes will weigh twice as much as a Burgman. The weight and mass requires fitting your head around the two measurements and feeling comfortable with them. A bike that makes you feel uncomfortable at the onset usually retains that feeling later on because instinct has already spoken to you. What are your trip plans, how often do you plan to go, and, and?

I'm not trying to be funny. I know how difficult those decisions can be. I have a trike, scooter, automobile and mobile home in Germany. I keep two bikes in the states, one for cruising and one for quick handling within 100 miles of home. I think you'll see a lot of folks here in the forum with more than one bike. I guess bikes become family too.

Actually right now I’m bikeless. Sold my thumper in August to a happy camper.

I’ve owned bikes since 1966 from 80cc to 1500cc.

Truimph 900 Tridents to Harley FLTRI’s to Honda’s and Yamaha’s and Suzuki’s and Kawasaki’s. Duel purpose to cruiser to touring to standard to...

Money is not a problem.

It’s almost like I’m looking for something to speak to me, to say, "buy me."

It ain’t happening.

This is kinda like a first.

I might even give them up for a while, ‘till the time is right...