IGNORED

Welcome to the Deep Freeze Called Texas

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Nineteen vehicle pileup, one death, and numerous road closings.

There are a lot of people on here who think Texas is a tropical paradise. Well, Texas is a BIG state. Down south its a bit warmer. But up here in the frozen tundra called the Texas Panhandle, welcome to reality.

http://media.amarillo.com/photos/index.php?xml=210

http://www.amarillo.com/stories/120908/web_pileup.shtml

http://www.amarillo.com/stories/120908/web_roadclose.shtml/B]

Edited by tx2sturgis

I drove to work this morning in a hard rain and the weather channel says it is 60°. Warmest weather since Oct. But, there is a cold front behind this rain that you are seeing. Friday is to be in the 30's and that is more in line with the 15 to 20° below normal we have seen for a month. We do need the rain here in east Tennessee as we are still in drought mode.

RandyA

Been down there on the bike when freezing rain and ice hit San Antonio,not nice at all but you could come up here and walk a mile in our moccassins tenps hovering around -20C 2" snow have fallen in the last 2 Day's and temps falling to -30C by the weekend.

Ron

Wow that's quite a snowstorm... Here in Maine we call that a "dusting"... Did anyone there ever hear of sand... Last time I was in West Texas that's all I saw was sand... You see if you sprinkle some sand on the roads the cars won't slip as much... Then if you mix a little salt or calcium chloride in the sand it will help melt the ice... Hey Brian you could get in on the ground floor on this...

Well, last night Mochalady was throwing snowballs at work. Snow stuck to the tops of the vehicles. This morning it was about 35 when I put the kickstand up and headed to work. It is a lot colder north of San Antonio. A couple degrees colder and even I would have used the truck. Don't like ice patches too well. It will be about 50 by late afternoon. Probably about 45 whe I go home. Tonight it is predicted to drop to freezing. Up where Brian is it gets nasty. Not much snow but a lot of ice type frozen slush. Keep warm y'all - spring will be here sooner or later.

JB

Guest tx2sturgis
You see if you sprinkle some sand on the roads the cars won't slip as much... Then if you mix a little salt or calcium chloride in the sand it will help melt the ice... Hey Brian you could get in on the ground floor on this...

Well the problem is that I-40 is a major Interstate, and it runs thru some long stretches of open country, and the freezing rain combined with the 40 and 50 mph north winds make it a hazard that even sand wont fix. Just that stretch of I-40 that runs between Tucumcari, NM and Amarillo, TX is about 125 miles of east-west highway with nothing out there to block the winds, and since most of the cars and trucks are used to doing 80 mph, its a mess when it gets its first ice storm of the year. The salt and sand trucks just cant keep up. After the storm passes, then the blades and sand trucks can do some effective work.

Edited by tx2sturgis

I Can't help it... Everytime I hear Tucumcari I think of this song and Lowell George (4/13/45 - 6/29/79) R.I.P. ... I included the lyrics in case anyone wants to sing along at home

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrCMlSWlDX8&fmt=18]YouTube - Little Feat - Willin'[/ame]

Willin'

Lowell George

I been warped by the rain, driven by the snow

I'm drunk and dirty don't ya know, and I'm still, willin'

Out on the road late at night, Seen my pretty Alice in every head light

Alice, Dallas Alice

I've been from Tuscon to Tucumcari

Tehachapi to Tonapah

Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made

Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed

And if you give me: weed, whites, and wine

And you show me a sign

I'll be willin', to be movin'

I've been kicked by the wind, robbed by the sleet

Had my head stoved in, but I'm still on my feet and I'm still... willin'

Now I smuggled some smokes and folks from Mexico

Baked by the sun, every time I go to Mexico, and I'm still

And I been from Tuscon to Tucumcari

Tehachapi to Tonapah

Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made

Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed

And if you give me: weed, whites, and wine

And you show me a sign

I'll be willin', to be movin

Been down there on the bike when freezing rain and ice hit San Antonio,not nice at all but you could come up here and walk a mile in our moccassins tenps hovering around -20C 2" snow have fallen in the last 2 Day's and temps falling to -30C by the weekend.

Ron

I have 18-22 inches of snow on the ground here. It has not stopped snowing for a week now. we typically get from 49-60 inches of snow by the end of the winter. Then my friends in Marquette,MI they typically get 12 feet or more.

Having a giant lake next to you feeding the snow machine from November to April just does not help. That said, most everyone here can drive a compact car through 1 foot of snow easily. we get at least 4 ice storms a year, I guess we are really used to it. I just wish it was still legal to run studded tires.