IGNORED

How big is wal-mart?

Guest BluesLover

Guest BluesLover

I don't know that this data is (or isn't) correct, but it wouldn't surprise me. I know for a fact that the HEB grocery chain in Texas went bankrupt in large part due to the proliferation of WalMart SuperCentres.

1. At Wal-Mart, Americans spend $36,000,000 every hour of every day.

2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!

3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.

4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target + Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.

5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people and is the largest private employer. And most can't speak English

6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.

7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger & Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only 15 years.

8. During this same period, 31 Supermarket chains sought bankruptcy (including Winn-Dixie).

9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.

10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centres; this is 1,000 more than it had 5 years ago.

11. This year, 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at a Wal-Mart store. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 billion.)

12. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart

13. Let Wal-Mart bail out Wall Street

Cheers,

Guest BluesLover
Where did you get the information that HEB filed for bankruptcy? I live in San Antonio, and I am unaware of this fact.
My brother used to work for HEB, but they were driven to bankruptcy when all the Wal-Marts popped up. He wound up having to move to Austin as a result.

Cheers,

I have also heard they are the worlds largest retailer of diamonds.

Probably china made cheap knock off diamonds with the clarity of pond scum, but they sell a lot of them.

Remember in the late 80's early 90's when you could walk into a walmart and ask the gal at the jewelry counter where to find an oil filter for a 72 F-150 and she would show you and help you look it up in the book? I do. Makes it even more bitter when, just the other day, I asked the guy in the hunting and fishing department if they had whet stones, and he literally yelled at me and screamed "LEAVE ME ALONE DAMN IT!"

I know how they got to the top, but I don't understand how they are staying there.

They may be bankrupt but they have $6 + million to spend on a new store...

Council clears tax agreement for new H-E-B

By Chris Cobb

The Herald-Zeitung

Published December 9, 2008

The city’s second H-E-B grocery store could be going up soon on Loop 337 and Texas 46 after the New Braunfels City Council on Monday approved a tax incentive agreement with the developers to help shoulder road construction costs.....

The rest of the story

Not to hijack the thread but I often wonder "What if you made a superstore that just sold things {made in America}? I'd be willing to bet you'd be filing bankruptcy in a week!:rotfl:Sounds funny, but is so true that it hurts.:doh::D

walmart has st7317 oil filters., for $2.48 cents. i go through them like water. saves me a bundle. i may be a greeter before to many years. they are converting our walmart to a super center. the building is now 1/10 of a mile long. i have been to the original walmart in bentonville ar.. just a little hole in the wall store that is now a museum. hard to believe one man could start with nothing and accomplish what he did in such a short time. we had a lady who retired from our walmart several years back that worked in the gardening department, who got in on the ground floor buying stock. she was a millionaire when she retired. very nice gal. sure wish i would have bought walmart stock when i wanted to back in the 80,s. :)

Damn you WalMart for selling stuff so cheap and saving us money!!!

Damn you Americans for going to WalMart and supplying them with all this money!!!

They take from the rich (Safeway for example) and give to us, the poor. :whistling: They save the average family of four (I'm talking about the poor again) $2,500 a year buying groceries, and this is appox. 40,000,000 people that live below the poverty level. It works both ways, but as long as they've been selling their products, the poor can at least survive, and this is why their the biggest, because they care and when they keep building, they will come.

For the people that have an earning potential of 150 to 200k a year, be my guest and keep the rich people alive ( talking about Safeway again). Well, I've given my opinion and I know I've opened a can of worms, so I'm through ranting. :duck:

Guest BluesLover
They may be bankrupt but they have $6 + million to spend on a new store...

Council clears tax agreement for new H-E-B

By Chris Cobb

The Herald-Zeitung

Published December 9, 2008

The city’s second H-E-B grocery store could be going up soon on Loop 337 and Texas 46 after the New Braunfels City Council on Monday approved a tax incentive agreement with the developers to help shoulder road construction costs.....

The rest of the story

They're doing very well now - their down period was 4 to 5 years or so ago. Now, I think they're up over $10B a year in revenues.

Cheers,

Damn you WalMart for selling stuff so cheap and saving us money!!!

Damn you Americans for going to WalMart and supplying them with all this money!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't most of their products come from China India and Korea. How much is made in North America?? Just asking.:confused24:

Ian

This was posted 12/02/2008

H-E-B wrested away a bit of Texas market share from Wal-Mart in the last quarter, according to The Nielsen Co.

San Antonio-based H-E-B gained .09 percent of the Texas market, while Wal-Mart dropped .03 percent.

Wal-Mart has 295 supercenter stores in Texas and 33.45 percent of the market. H-E-B has 280 stores and 23.45 percent of the market.

Rounding out the top five were Kroger, Albertsons and Tom Thumb Food & Pharmacy.

As a truck driver that has to deliver to their distribution centers from time to time,I will never set foot in one of their stores.They are slow to unload,treat the drivers like second class citizens and think nothing of holding you there for hours waiting on paperwork.

Shari knows how I feel about this,but sometimes shops there..:doh:

I'm all about saving a buck,but it won't be there..

They're doing very well now - their down period was 4 to 5 years or so ago. Now, I think they're up over $10B a year in revenues.

Cheers,

OKay... The way it was posted I thought it was a recent development but couldn't find anything about a bankruptcy... So now you're saying they went into bankruptcy a few years ago but they've recovered now... So what's the point of the original post? Did you just wanna beat on Walmart a little?

Guest BluesLover
So what's the point of the original post? Did you just wanna beat on Walmart a little?
No, my point is not to beat on anything, or on anyone. I just thought the stats were a little astounding to me, or at least surprising. If you want to take that in some other direction, feel free.

Cheers,

Not to hijack the thread but I often wonder "What if you made a superstore that just sold things {made in America}? I'd be willing to bet you'd be filing bankruptcy in a week!:rotfl:Sounds funny, but is so true that it hurts.:doh::D

The store would probably be the size of one of the containers bringing in all the imported stuff!!!:doh:

walmart has st7317 oil filters., for $2.48 cents. i go through them like water. saves me a bundle. i may be a greeter before to many years. they are converting our walmart to a super center. the building is now 1/10 of a mile long. i have been to the original walmart in bentonville ar.. just a little hole in the wall store that is now a museum. hard to believe one man could start with nothing and accomplish what he did in such a short time. we had a lady who retired from our walmart several years back that worked in the gardening department, who got in on the ground floor buying stock. she was a millionaire when she retired. very nice gal. sure wish i would have bought walmart stock when i wanted to back in the 80,s. :)

My grandpa lives in Bentonville and drove for WalMart since they got out of that 5 and dime store. He had stock and he tried to convince my dad in to buying stock. My dad way back then didn't think Sam Walton would make it work so he didn't. Now my dad is kicking himself in the butt and he hates it when his dad brings it up. Pop retired from driving for them several years ago...but he has a goooood nest egg. Glad ol Sam lived long enough to see that his idea was RIGHT ON. Now people can grocery shop, Christmas shop, get just about anything they need at a low price and not have to go to all the specilty stores. :smile5:

My wife Jean works for Target and I am not allowed to use the "W" word when she's around. In the town we live in (South Central Pennsylvania) the Target actually outsold Wal-Mart on "Black Friday" of this year. I do sneak into Wal-Mart from time to time. (I hope Jean doesn't read this!) :cool10:

Shop Safe,

Earl

walmart has st7317 oil filters?

Not all Walmarts have them. I have looked at every store I have been in West Virginia can't find them here. Maybe I need to check out of state.

they are a little scarce around here at times. think all the bike people are buying them. they fit all my bike accept my scooter. :2133:

I don't know if there is any truth to it or not, since I've never worked at one, but I've always heard that since Sam Walton passed away the treatment of employees took a nosedive.

But again, as one on a limited budget myself, I shop there. Then again, I also have to take a loan to buy a new vehicle, and I know how many people on these forums feel about that.