mattevans

Well heres another one. Im fearing the worst with this one. Sometimes when i go to start my bike ( 83 royal ) I get a grinding noise from the starter it sounds like two gears grinding together but not engaging all the way. Sort of like when a bendix goes out on a car starter and since these bikes dont have a bendix this cant be good. Has anyone experinced this. Im thinking maybe the starter clutch is bad. I have recently put in a new stator which frustrates me because now i may have to tear down that side of the engine again, which means ruining those new gaskets. when it grinds i let off the button and try again and it does'nt do it it works normal on the second try

thanks for your help

MATT

:Venture:

Edited by mattevans

Matt,

Im not certain, but I think your problem may be because of the light duty stock ground cable...

There has been mention of a heavy duty ground cable mod for 1st gens to help aid in starter related problems..

Squidley or some other 1st gen knowledgeable person will jump in here soon to explain more in detail..so hang in there.

I suspect he has a cracked drum on the starter clutch housing.

RandyA

I've heard, it's back to normal on the second try.

I suspect the Starter Clutch Housing also. Sometimes the Rollers get a good Bite on the Wheel and sometimes they don't.

It doesn't help, you need to undo the Stator Cover and get that Rotor out. You should replaced everything related to Starter Clutch Assembly. Housing, Wheel, Rollers, Springs and the small Spring Cups and the three Bolts which held the Starter Clutch Assembly on the Rotor. Don't try to reuse some Parts, they will mess up the new Parts in no Time and you'll back in there soon.

Its possibly Low Voltage, to the Starter--

You have replaced the Stator, so double check the Output Plug " From " the Regulator. Make sure the 2 black wires " from " that plug actually have a good ground.

Neg. bat cable attach point, Rt. Fwd cornere of engine block, Clean the Bolt.

Clean and Resolder, all 4 end Studs of the Battery cables. ( The studs get corroded ) This will cause Voltage Drop. ( use propane torch, and Rosin Core Solder )

You might have to remove Starter, open it up, clean the Commutator.

Open your 40 Amp main fuse, make sure the 2 small Screws are tight.

Make sure your DC charging Voltage is Reading at least 13.5 to 14.0 DC at the Battery. Use a Digital Volt/Ohm meter, to make sure. Don't believer the Panel Meter.

If your Battery is over 3 years old, Replace it. Consider, Dry Cell, or Gell Cell Battery.

--- You Might have Burned Up Main Contacts " INSIDE " of the Starter Solinoid.

Disconnect, the heavy cable from the Solinoid, To , the Starter. Then actuate the solinoid, with start button. Now READ the RESISTANCE, ACROSS THE MAIN CONTACTS, with an OHM Meter. with Solinoid actuated.

These solinoids are known, to burn the heavy contacts inside. The best Fix is to replace with an Automobile Type Solinoid, with heavier Contacts.

--------- However, haveing said all the above, your problem is most likley, the

" Starter Engage Clutch " But check ALL the above, first--

Have you been Charging your battery, with a REAL battery Charger ??? or just a Trickle charger ???

Use a Car battery charger, 2 Amp Rate, for at least 6 to 8 hours-- But I doubt thats the problem, current problem.

Your problem is not new. Many of us have been thru all of this, Its a Combination of All the Above. Not just one item.