IGNORED

Slider springs

Ivan

What the slides do is keep the airflow more or less constant through the throat of the carburetor (constant velocity). As they open they also let extra fuel in through the needle jet.

If the springs are too light the slides will open prematurely, resulting in slower air flow and a lean condition - particularly on acceleration.

Whatever problem you're having, it's not likely the slide springs are the culprits (unless somebody damaged them).

What the slides do is keep the airflow more or less constant through the throat of the carburetor (constant velocity). As they open they also let extra fuel in through the needle jet.

If the springs are too light the slides will open prematurely, resulting in slower air flow and a lean condition - particularly on acceleration.

Whatever problem you're having, it's not likely the slide springs are the culprits (unless somebody damaged them).

This is what I was thinking as well. reduced air velocity.

FWIW, my XS 1100 has a pretty bad stumble at off idle. No power up to about 2500 rpm. I have tried new idle jets, synced it nicely and set the idle mix. I was thinking that maybe the springs have been relaxed a bit from 27 years of service. I guess its easy enough to stretch them a bit, and see if it makes a difference.

If you decide to stretch them, take some measures to assure that the spring rate is close on all four. Something as simple as a single weight placed on each individual spring, and measure the weighted height to equalize their rate. Doesn't mean spring rate will be right, just more equal.

Back years ago I made parts for a moto-gp racer and he did that on every carb setup. Claimed it smoothed out the acceleration,and took out flat spots.

If you decide to stretch them, take some measures to assure that the spring rate is close on all four. Something as simple as a single weight placed on each individual spring, and measure the weighted height to equalize their rate. Doesn't mean spring rate will be right, just more equal.

Back years ago I made parts for a moto-gp racer and he did that on every carb setup. Claimed it smoothed out the acceleration,and took out flat spots.

Thanks for the suggestion. Its a great idea. I will probably use a bolt or something.