IGNORED

Vmax engine for my 1985

That won't be a big Problem. Mechanically it fits right in and is bolt on. You will need to transfer the Shifter Linkage and the Shift Shaft, or make up a new Shifter Linkage Connection. This would be a better Solution, because the XVZ Linkage is always sloppy. The Feeding Line for the Clutch Slave is coming from above on the VMX instead of from underneath. You need to undo the short Tube Connector and mount the Line from underneath.

Electricaly, you need watch the Pickup Coil. The Models since '90 use only a single Coil Pickup where the earlier Engines are two Pickup Coils. This is the same for XVZ and VMX Engines. So you need either a earlier VMX Engine or interchange the complete Stator Cover.

I'd bring in solid Motor Mounts while i'm on it. And i'd check the Valve Clearances while the Motor ist out of the Frame.

If he gets a later engine with the single pickup coil, along with the stator cover and pickup coil, he would need to change the rotor too, wouldn't he? The trigger point pattern won't be the same thing. Other than that though, that should do it. At this point, you and I both know quite a bit about these trigger point patterns, don't we.

What year was the break point where Y upgraded the second gear parts in the transmission in the VMX? I halfway wouldn't mind coming up with a VMX transmission myself.

Edited by pegscraper
used incorrect term

If he gets a later engine with the single pickup coil, along with the stator cover and pickup coil, he would need to change the stator itself too, wouldn't he? The trigger point pattern won't be the same thing. Other than that though, that should do it. At this point, you and I both know quite a bit about these trigger point patterns, don't we.

What year was the break point where Y upgraded the second gear parts in the transmission in the VMX? I halfway wouldn't mind coming up with a VMX transmission myself.

Yes Lynn, you're right. The 2-Pickup Rotor has two separate Paths for the Trigger Points. I forgot to mention that. WHY did i ?? Don't ask .... :think::scratchchin::whistling:

I don't recall an Upgrade for 2nd Gear on the VMX, this only relates to the XVZ Models.

I believe the VMAX came out in 1985... after the second gear issue was resolved in the Venture. The frame wiring should support the 85-89 VMAX ignitor and pickup plugs?

If he's dropping in the whole VMAX engine, the rotor and pickups are already matched... then you just have to use the correct ignitor unit... to match the VMAX and existing Venture wiring harness...

ignitor unit

85 VMAX 1FK-82305-10-0

85 Venture 41R-82305-11-00

The pressure sensor's the same though.

Isn't there a problem with the VMAX carb assembly sitting too tall?

I believe the VMAX came out in 1985... after the second gear issue was resolved in the Venture. The frame wiring should support the 85-89 VMAX ignitor and pickup plugs?

If he's dropping in the whole VMAX engine, the rotor and pickups are already matched... then you just have to use the correct ignitor unit... to match the VMAX and existing Venture wiring harness...

ignitor unit

85 VMAX 1FK-82305-10-0

85 Venture 41R-82305-11-00

The pressure sensor's the same though.

Isn't there a problem with the VMAX carb assembly sitting too tall?

You're right Mike, but i figure it would be easier to match the Motor to the Harness/ Igniter Unit than fit the Bike to Motor, at least when you have to buy the VMX Igniter Unit and hassle with the Harness. But when TCI/CDI lays on the Bench ...

When you mount the Carbs without V-Boost Intake, there's no Problem. Might cost some Power (80 kw rwhp to 88 kw rwhp on my Max) but it's more than any XVZ Motor anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

What about swapping in an engine from a 2nd gen?

I have been researching the newer engine and it looks like the engine case casting is very similar, maybe the same. The heads are different with the exhaust flange turned at an angle. Comments?

There are even more differences there than to the VMX engine. You'll still have ignition module problems, and wiring harness problems, among I don't know what else.

You're already thinking of pulling the engine. Once the engine is out, it would really be easier to fix the transmission you have. You're only dealing with a couple gears. Much cheaper. Much easier. And the engine will fit right back in with no problems.

If you want more power, swap some VMX cams in while the engine is out. Also, the V boost system is pretty easy to add to the 1st gen.

What about swapping in an engine from a 2nd gen?

I have been researching the newer engine and it looks like the engine case casting is very similar, maybe the same. The heads are different with the exhaust flange turned at an angle. Comments?

For what it's worth, I have a low mile '87 1300 VR engine that I bought for a backup in case my '85 2nd gear went south. But I'm selling my VR while it's still okay. I gave $740 for the engine, but would take $550 if you picked it up in Springfield, Missouri. If interested, my email address is cwg45@sbcglobal.net.

I seem to recall that Rider magazine tried such a swap back in 86 or 87 and it was a flop. Not sure what the issues were back then but they were not pleased with it.

Another moto magazine tried the swap in 1985 when the Vmax was first introduced. They had a Venture for long-term evaluation and swapped the engines for fun. The picture for the article was the Venture pulling a mile-high wheelie!

Another moto magazine tried the swap in 1985 when the Vmax was first introduced. They had a Venture for long-term evaluation and swapped the engines for fun. The picture for the article was the Venture pulling a mile-high wheelie!

That ewould be a cool pic to see. kida like this Beemer

Thanks. I had already seen that one. I've been looking for one that could at least be perused through without having to register.

The easiest ways for more power on a 1st gen are going to be VMX cams and a V boost system. You could also get the 35mm VMX carbs, where the Venture has 34mm carbs. You may or may not feel much difference there though.

Thanks. I had already seen that one. I've been looking for one that could at least be perused through without having to register.

The easiest ways for more power on a 1st gen are going to be VMX cams and a V boost system. You could also get the 35mm VMX carbs, where the Venture has 34mm carbs. You may or may not feel much difference there though.

Of course you've probably looked thru this one already. Once in a while I'll drop in poke around. No registration I could find...??? http://vmaxoutlaw.com/main.html

I've been looking for an actual forum that they would let people read without registering.

Hey Lynn.

What is this thing about not registering. Usually these forums are pretty safe and you can decide on getting - or not getting newsletters, exposing your email address and so forth.

I am a member of many forums even though I do not frequently visit them and I never get any emails from them since I kept my email address out of my profile and marked an x with "no Newsletter" and so forth. If they are handing out email lists then they usually tell about it in the disclaimer.

Just a thought - I am sure you have your reasons.

Thanks Squeeze. Man, I sure could have used that a long time ago. I might not have pestered you so much. (I'm seriously thinking about shoving a car out of the garage so I have room to work on the bike this winter. It would be much easier to keep working on that project when I'm not also trying to ride the thing.)

It has nothing to do with safety or privacy. I just don't need anything more to keep track of than I have to. I've been a member of forums that I can't even remember anymore. I'd like to be more active in some other forums that cover other interests and I just don't have the time for everything. I have too many interests and projects and ideas for projects. So this is one way I try to keep things pared down a little. If I don't have any need to post, I don't need to register either. Usually if I lurk around for a while, if I'm not in a hurry, someone else will ask the right questions and I can pick up the information I'm looking for.