IGNORED

New Fuse Block

The old fuse block ain't doin' it anymore. Aside from the corrosion that keeps coming back time after time, yesterday one of the fuse holders broke off, so the fuse won't be held now. Luckily, it was the ACC fuse!!

Who's got a good setup on their ride?? I'd like to move over to the newer auto fuses. I've tried a few different fuse blocks, but can't find one that is small enough to fit under the faux cover. Any ideas, manufacturers, parts stores???

I replaced my fuse block only three days ago. I, too, considered going to the plug in fuses, but that required a bigger job and cost more than just going back with an original type glass fuse block. And I figure that the originals lasted 25 years, so this one will outlast me. So this is what I did. I went to NAPA and bought fuse block # 782-3213 ($17.99) a package of ring terminals #784579 ($2.99) and 5 new fuses the right amps @ $0.49 each. When I got home I took the plastic cover off of the fuse block on the bike and pulled all the fuses and then pulled all the wires, remembering where they all go. I left the bottom of the original fuse block in place and then placed the new block over it to see how it fit. It was one fuse too long, but it was a 6 fuse block and the original is 5 so I just cut one of the fuse holders off of the block and had a perfect fit. I then cut all the metal fuse clamps off of the wires and replaced with the rings. Then I attached the new block right on top of the old one using a couple of short screws, attached the wires and placed new fuses in place. Looks just like a factory setup except the plastic block cover won't fit over the new block.

If you look in the first generation tech talk under fuse block there are the numbers that you will need. Also a picture of the one that Squidley did on his 86. We did it to both of our bikes and it works great. You also can get one that has room for more fuses for accessories. Hope this helps.

I went to the hardware store and bought a new fuse block similar to the original. The metal peices on the original just slide out when there is no fuse. The new block had the same type of metal peices which just slid back in. I then soldered all the connections back where they were and I have the original block with new components. It even still has the cover. The cost was about $6.00.

Wayne

• 6 years later...

I am not really good at electrical work - but I have too many direct leads to my battery posts so I need to install and new mini blade fuse block with built in relay? I connect the positive lead of the block to my positive battery post using the correct gauge wire and then ground the block. I am not clear how to wire in the white switched lead that I read about in this forum? How does this connect? To the relay?

Can anyone give me a basic wiring diagram for this? Or point me to a place on this site where I can see a wiring diagram?

Thanks a lot

Bill

I am not really good at electrical work - but I have too many direct leads to my battery posts so I need to install and new mini blade fuse block with built in relay? I connect the positive lead of the block to my positive battery post using the correct gauge wire and then ground the block. I am not clear how to wire in the white switched lead that I read about in this forum? How does this connect? To the relay?

Can anyone give me a basic wiring diagram for this? Or point me to a place on this site where I can see a wiring diagram?

Thanks a lot

Bill

Bill, depending on the accessory fuse block that you use, there may be no ground to the fuseblock. But you are contemplating a fuse block with a built in relay? I am not familiar with that fuse block, but a ground wire will be needed to activate the relay. Can you post the pertinent manufacturer and model of this fuse block?

See this thread on my fuse block upgrade. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/first-generation-venture-tech-talk/66650-upgraded-updated-fuse-block.html

A simple wiring diagram of my fuse block with the auxiliary, relay switched, accessory fuse block is below.

IMG (Large).jpg

Edited by Prairiehammer

I know what you are experiencing. Napa (and possibly others) has a universal fuse block with the same type of clips that broke on yours-and mine. If you are handy, patient, and don,t mind a bit of fiddling, carefully cannibalize the Napa item and even more carefully replace the one- or more of yours that are broke. It's a job I'll admit. But riders of old machines have to be resourceful. Good luck.