IGNORED

Car starter solenoid mod... Who remembers?

GeorgeS and I were discussing my current and reoccuring draggin starter problem. He mentioned that he remembered someone posting that they had used a solenoid from a small foriegn car to replace the oem solenoid that comes on the 1st Gens. But, he did not remember the details of which car the starter came off of.

The problem is that the stock solenoids don't seem to hold up very well and the cost of new replacements from yamaha run close to $80.00. Using the car solenoids was considerably cheaper with a heavier duty solenoid.

The question is does anyone remember the name of the post or by who the post was made that had the details of this solenoid mod?

id say the best way is to just take it in to a parts store and ask for one close to it I have done this with cars snowmobiles tractors and small engines there all close to the same thing heck i have even used one off a meyers snowplow to get a truck going till i could get to town then put the new one on the plow

GeorgeS and I were discussing my current and reoccuring draggin starter problem. He mentioned that he remembered someone posting that they had used a solenoid from a small foriegn car to replace the oem solenoid that comes on the 1st Gens. But, he did not remember the details of which car the starter came off of.

The problem is that the stock solenoids don't seem to hold up very well and the cost of new replacements from yamaha run close to $80.00. Using the car solenoids was considerably cheaper with a heavier duty solenoid.

The question is does anyone remember the name of the post or by who the post was made that had the details of this solenoid mod?

Can you use one of these as a replacement? I know that a lot of Goldwingers replace the expensive Honda solenoid with something like this.

Joe

Hey Dragonslayer,

Have you checked the voltage drop from the battery positive to the starter lug while cranking? I ask because in my case the starter would drag but this check showe no appreciable drop so I know the solenoid was not the culprit. I just got mine back on the road, and one of the things I did was an internal grounding upgrade to the starter, as recommended by a Vmax website courtesy of Squeeze. So far it's working well, but it's biggest problem before was hot restarts and I haven't really put it to the test.

Jeremy

You could simply connect one Lead of your DMM on one Post of the Solenoid and the other lead on the other Post, select 2 Volt DC on the DMM and hit the Starter Button. If there is a internal Voltage Drop, you can read it on the DMM while starting.

• 2 weeks later...

some where, I can't remember where, I was told that a solenoid off a datsun B210 may work, as it is relatively small. I cant confirm this, as I haven't done it.

From what I can tell, the solenoid from a Yamaha Rhino is the same as well. I did a search on ebay for yamaha starter solenoid and yamaha starter relay and found a new one that should work well, but I can't remember what it is from. It was less than $20 with shipping. Also, there were lots of adds for a knock off replacement for $6 or so, but it was a plastic one. Might not hurt ot get three or four and carry a spare.

Just some ideas