IGNORED

Reving bike and pushing it....??????

newman

Hi Guys,

Speaking to a friend of mine who has an 05 Venture. He tells me that the engine in the Ventures can take alot. He suggests pushing it a bit harder and that you won't hurt the bike. I have an 07 Venture with about 5000 km on it. I don;t want to hurt my baby, but would like to rev it up a bit more.......is it ok to push it thru the gears harder?

Thanks

In my opinion lugging it is worse than reving it.

Also I have never really babied anything I owned expecially cars. Personally I think they run better if they are not babied. Worst thing for a piece of equipment is too let it sit, so enjoy it and ride.

I have read some articles on piston rings (high performance), they say they should run hard right away so that they heat treat and harden in position they appy more pressure to the walls and seal better. (I am not an expert so I do not know if this is true.).

Brad

My feeling is that every engine should be broken in and run moderately hard. The temps need to be up to make the engine reach it's maxium performance range. As far as the RPM, that is what the rev limiter is for. It helps to keep idiots like me from stretching out the connecting rods:no-no-no:.... I am an agressive rider and it is not unusual for me (when I'm alone) to hit the rev limiter several times a day:whistling:.

As long as you don't peg it out every time you accelerate the engine should be fine. I've got 42k miles on my 04 and have not seen any kind of adverse effect (leaks or high temps). Of course as soon as I hit the rev limiter I come back off the throttle and shift up.

It is just my opinion, which doesn't mean much to anyone but my dog, the stock rev limiter is set a little low. I believe it is to protect people like me that like to get close to the edge every now and then. (OK,, a lot....:innocent:) Mainly, just ride it and enjoy the day...

Something not mentioned here but you should keep in mind....The rev limiter on the V-4 for the RSTD/Venture is set about 1500 rpms below the "actual redline. I think it is set around 6K. Using the Dyna 3000 you can very safely raise this to 7200 for the rev limiter and have no problems whatsoever. Just keep in mind that even when you are pushing the "stock" limits you are far from pushing this montser.

The computer won't let you over rev it. Let it rip till it misses. Then you'll get use to the sound of the redline area.

Is this the case on the '03 model as well? I've (to my knowledge) never hit a rev limiter, but I tend to be conservative since it doesn't have a tach. I would like to use your theory though so I know what the engine sounds like close to redline for those days I just feel like getting on it.

• 2 weeks later...
"BLUE Beast" had 98,700 miles on her and when she left left everyone knew it. Redline was home to her and the longer she stayed there the better she ran.

Dido,

The 83's are the beast of the family,these V-4's can take it.Like the old saying goes - Run it like you stole it. Mine has 73,000 this past week low miles for these motors,Do Like Yammer Dan said run the dog out of it you won't be sorry I'm not.When I bought this bike it had been sitting for some time gas mileage stunk 28mpg,I ran the dog out of it too ,Plus showing my buddies how bad the beast is too.Gas mileage has jumped up to 43-46 mpg now,so yes running it hard at times does help very much.

buddy

Speakin about running the dog of er, here is what I did earlier this year and have been having a RIOT with her.

I got tired of having the HOG boys that I run with out toning me,, heck guys - I couldn't even hear my scoot running most of the time.. Sooooooo,, I built a set of custom pipes for her and I absoulutly LOVE them so much I havent taken them off in 4 months!!

I built them out of galvanised thin wall chain link fence pipe, made my own fish tail ends.. I built the tails wide enough and long enough so I could squeeze them and get the "tones" I want..

As it is right now, at idle and up to 2500 it sounds pretty "V-twinish".. As a matter of fact, its a BLAST to pull into a gas station with a buch of Hoggers and get into a sound contest with them.. This baby BARKS and backs off with the best of them...

Of course,, my favorite part is drag racing those new big cubes!! Just goofing off the other day I ran against a recently done 110 inch (high comp so he has to run Torco but non-alchly). He was right there by me until the V-4 tapped into er fresh air at 5g's.. I was grinning from ear to ear as I knew he was about to get an ear full - he was about a half a bike length down so his head was in just the right spot... With these pipes - when the ol girl hits 5 grand her tone changes from the tone of a high performance V-twin into a Formula race engine INSTANTLY!!! When we finally came to a stop and he caught back up to me he says "WHAT THE HECK DID YOU DO TO THAT MOTOR!!!!".. The real shock for him came when I said - NOTHIN = its stock hahah

Gonna try a couple shots of my pipes here.. May have to go to Firefox to post em so please be patient..

What a blast!

'Puc

"

"BLUE Beast" had 98,700 miles on her and when she left left everyone knew it. Redline was home to her and the longer she stayed there the better she ran."

Hey Dan,

I keep seeing these references to Blue Beast, but it sounds like she's no longer on the road. What is her sad story?

Jeremy

"

"BLUE Beast" had 98,700 miles on her and when she left left everyone knew it. Redline was home to her and the longer she stayed there the better she ran."

Hey Dan,

I keep seeing these references to Blue Beast, but it sounds like she's no longer on the road. What is her sad story?

Jeremy

Bad Wreck Jeremy, bout a year ago the Blue Beast got mortally wounded and Yammer got busted up.

"

Hey Dan,

Jeremy

jeremy, around here, the "blue beast", is sort of a "revered benchmark".from what i can gather from some of the old timers(:stirthepot:) she was the "baddest of the bad",first gens!

someone around here has pics of the blue wonder, but i haven't seen any lately!

did you read that? YAMMER DAN!!!!!?

just jt

When i bought my 02 the mechanic told me it was better to rev it than lug it, V4s love revs. On my '85 v4 Madura the red line was 11,500. Apparently when they built it they ran it at 14,000 with no problems but the thought of letting that loose on the streets scared them so they limited at 11,500. Rev it up and listen to it. It will tell you if it does not like it, and if it doesn't then something is wrong.