IGNORED

1st Edition Cruise Control Problem

Before I start, I have done a bit of seaching this site looking for the problem I am experiencing with my cruise control but have not been successful. Not that I use it much, I am a little anal about things and if it is there, I want it to work as designed. Anyway, my cruise has always functioned until this weekend. My cruise would set and all seemed fine except this time, and several attempts afterwards. It would set but the speed would very slowly decel and after about 7 or so mph, the cruise would simply disconnect; not turn off, just cancel. I am not very spun up on this system and thought I'd ask around first if anyone has experienced this same problem and what they may have done to fix theirs. If anyone has any advise, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,

:confused24:

I was having the same problem with my 93, i had found that the vacume hose going to the vacume pod that pulls the throttle was cracked,and loosing the vacume,had to remove the head light and the right front turn signal,and with a long pair of needle nose pliers, i was able to pop it off and cut the bad part off and reconect it to the pod.I think in the service manuwal it has some tests you can try to make the vacume pump run and check for leaks.:fingers-crossed-emo

Get that cruise fixed yet?:think:

Thanks for asking but No, I haven't. I have been putting it off until after surgery that I have scheduled, as a matter of fact, for tomorrow morning. I will not be ridin the bike for about a month or so. But by time another month goes by, it will probably be too cold to enjoy the old gal. I printed off your recommendation as soon as I got it that day, so whenever I do get to pulling things apart, I will have your instructions. I am sure it is something simple since the only factor determining deterioration of this bike is time, not miles.

TTYL (and wish me luck tomorrow)

• 5 years later...
check the throdale cables,a frayed,or dry cable will cause it to drop out,takes to mutch vaccuum to move,also the spedo cable

been there

I just found out that the vacuum pump didn't manage to regulate the throttle wire as it should. Maybe the problem is the throdale cables as you say..

I will check that tomorrow.

Just a word incase I might help, my bike was kicking out the cruise but found out last spring that it was that the clutch handle was worn and moving too much. It was a cheap and it made a huge difference, now I have a steady cruise if I want it.

Hope it helps.

OK,

now I've oiled and geased the wires so now they move easy I think. The throttle is at least much easier to move now than before. But, still the actuator doesn't move. When I force the pump to run is still cannot move the actuator enough to regulate the throttle. When I push the actuator by hand the throttle handle also moves. Is this correct? It feels a little heavy in my opinion when pushing it by hand. I'm thinking that it needs a lot of vacuum to move this..?

Also, when running the engine and push the cruse control switch to "standby/on" will the vacuum pump run or will it not run before you set the switch to "set"?

I get the correct readings when I measured the control unit so the switch is working.

I'm now thinking that it might be the vacuum pump not producing enough vacuum to move the actuator, or maybe it never gets the start up signal. ???

Lots of questions here. Hope someone can help me.. :)