IGNORED

Sidestand/neutral safety switch

I just solved one problem, here comes another. 99 Venture Royal Star, replaced faulty ignition switch, corrected problem. Now, with the motor running and in neutral, if I place the sidestand down the motor stops. If the clutch lever or the sidestand is in any position, as long as the bike is in neutral no problem.:bang head:

Now, with the motor running and in neutral, if I place the sidestand down the motor stops.

The sidestand switch is either gunked up or faulty. If you look at where the switch is located you will see that it is very easy to collect road gunk. A good cleaning with WD-40 or Carb Cleaner should do the trick for you. Doing this cleaning every 2-3 months should prevent this problem from happening at all.;)

Now, with the motor running and in neutral, if I place the sidestand down the motor stops. If the clutch lever or the sidestand is in any position, as long as the bike is in neutral no problem.:bang head:

You have contradicted yourself. Your first statement is that the bike stops if you put the stand down in neutral; your second statement says no problem if the bike is in neutral.

Can't tell you how to troubleshoot it until I know what it is REALLY doing. If it is in gear, the bike will ALWAYS stop when you put the sidestand down - that is normal.

Goose

What I meant to say on the last sentance, was if the clutch lever is pull in.

You have contradicted yourself. Your first statement is that the bike stops if you put the stand down in neutral; your second statement says no problem if the bike is in neutral.

Can't tell you how to troubleshoot it until I know what it is REALLY doing. If it is in gear, the bike will ALWAYS stop when you put the sidestand down - that is normal.

Goose

What I meant to say on the last sentance, was if the clutch lever is pull in.

That IS what you said in the last sentence.

Simple question: If the bike is in neutral and you put the side stand down, does it run or die? Forget the clutch, that is meaningless.

Goose

N3FOL, you and I keep saying the same things (and we are both right), but we are not getting any meaningful response from the OP. Here is one more simple statement that should help him tell us if he really has a problem:

The RSV will ALWAYS run with the side stand down while in neutral; the RSV will NEVER run with the side stand down while in gear.

Of course, I am assuming the kill switch is in the "run" position, but the position of the clutch is immaterial.

Goose

• 10 years later...

​There is a relay associated with the Neutral/ kickstand switch. When you get a chance, contact the Diamond Cut Guy and he will probably have a relay to sell you.

Yes my 2003 will only start with side stand up. Pain in the butt. I was told possible side stand relay. Allready replaced natural switch.what about this other relay you were talking about? Is there a way to test/check these relays??