IGNORED

Change to Search function

Freebird

OK folks, I've heard a lot of complaints here about the search function on this forum. I have made a change that we can try out.

The option to use the "Google" search in the drop down menu actually works very well. Just use that field and select "www.venturerider" and you will usually get good results.

HOWEVER, I have also added Boolean search capabilities to the regular search. Some won't know what that is so let me give a simple example.

If you enter 1999 RSV in the search box, it will search the site for every instance of 1999 and every instance of RSV. With Boolean enabled, you can use quotation marks around the term to better isolate the results. In other words, you would type "1999 RSV" in the box and now it will search for that exact term instead of any instance of either word.

For those of you who are more advanced with this stuff:

This permission allows Boolean searches, which includes the usage of AND, OR, and NOT to limit results.

This option can be server intensive for very large forums so its usage is cautioned.

There are a couple of ways you can do it. Let's say, for example, that you are seaching for a guy named James. You know though that his last name is not Smith. You would search for:

James NOT Smith

or

James -Smith

Here is a pretty good and easy to understand tutorial on Boolean search terms.

http://www.learnwebskills.com/search/engines.html

Thank you Professor Nelson!!! I always did like Boolean equations, they're the only algebra I understand!! Use it everyday in trouble shooting!! Works great in any situation, even if you don't know you're using it.

Dan

hmmm....I can't explain that one. I have it hard coded into the program so it should be there all the time. UNLESS you are talking about on the home page or pages other than the forum. I only have it coded into the search drop down here at the forum. Hadn't thought about that before. I'll try to add it to the home page also.