IGNORED

LED headlights coming soon!

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

http://www.truck-lite.com/wcsstore/tl/new/images/en_US/LEDHeadlampPR.jpg

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/GenericView?pageName=/new/PressReleases_en_US/LEDHeadlamp.html&storeId=10001&langId=-1

Here is the one paragraph that matters to us:

“While initial production is limited to 24 volt,” stated Brad VanRiper, Truck-Lite’s Sr VP of R&D & Chief Technology Officer, “we are actively testing 12 volt 7” LED Headlamps and we expect them to go into production shortly.”

Yall stay tuned!!

:clap2:

Here is the one paragraph that matters to us:

“While initial production is limited to 24 volt,” stated Brad VanRiper, Truck-Lite’s Sr VP of R&D & Chief Technology Officer, “we are actively testing 12 volt 7” LED Headlamps and we expect them to go into production shortly.”

Oh, but here is another:

The LUXEON technology used in Truck-Lite’s Headlamps will offer improved visibility over conventional incandescent as the color temperature of the assembly is around 5000 degree K, far closer to the sun light than incandescent or halogen lamps.

5000K is OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Guest tx2sturgis
Oh, but here is another:

I guess I should have said it better...like including more quotes...but I figured everyone would have a different 'take away' on that article.

LED headlights should, in theory, give a precise lighting pattern, as well as longer life and lower current draw....and probably last as long as the bike. Sure, they would cost a bunch...but hey...HID lites aint cheap either.

I guess I should have said it better...like including more quotes...but I figured everyone would have a different 'take away' on that article.

LED headlights should, in theory, give a precise lighting pattern, as well as longer life and lower current draw....and probably last as long as the bike. Sure, they would cost a bunch...but hey...HID lites aint cheap either.

Maybe, but it still might be cheaper and less work than having to replace the stator. LED's should free up some needed current and still get real lighting to the road in front.

Brian

Not being much of a techie, how would they handle a transition to high beam? Incandecent bulbs use a second fillament. How would that work?

They may not need a hi/low transition. The type of light may work for the driver and the oncoming traffic. In other words, it could be bright enough to light up all the road but soft enough to not blind oncoming traffic. Just a thought.

Guest tx2sturgis
Not being much of a techie, how would they handle a transition to high beam? Incandecent bulbs use a second fillament. How would that work?

In the lites I've seen, the LED headlamp appears to use 5 of the LEDs for low beam, and then when switched to high beam, 5 more LEDS come on, bringing the total to 10 LEDs. These are high power LEDs....so the light would be very bright.

On your typical headlight the difference in light output between hi an lo is only 5 watts. The big change is in the beam pattern and the aiming of the light. That's why a pickup fully loaded on low beam seems to have his hi beams on. They can do a lot of things to change the aiming for the hi beam on an led headlight. I would like to see 6k on the temp though.

In the lites I've seen, the LED headlamp appears to use 5 of the LEDs for low beam, and then when switched to high beam, 5 more LEDS come on, bringing the total to 10 LEDs. These are high power LEDs....so the light would be very bright.
That makes sense. Extra fillament, more LEDs..... D'Oh!!:doh: See what happens when you get old? :think:

On your typical headlight the difference in light output between hi an lo is only 5 watts. The big change is in the beam pattern and the aiming of the light. That's why a pickup fully loaded on low beam seems to have his hi beams on. They can do a lot of things to change the aiming for the hi beam on an led headlight. I would like to see 6k on the temp though.

that would be enough light temp to melt paint on a car in front of you at a stoplight, or see double life as a tanning bed

• 1 year later...
Guest tx2sturgis

Cool!

Well it looks promising...but I want to see one listed as having E-code lighting patterns before I put one on my bike, UNLESS I get to see one in action, and determine for myself that it will do the job on a bike.

I found it here, and the current draw on hi beam is only 4.5 amps...nice!

http://www.trailduty.com/product_info.php?products_id=1012

Thanks for the info!

:happy34:

Cool!

Well it looks promising...but I want to see one listed as having E-code lighting patterns before I put one on my bike, UNLESS I get to see one in action, and determine for myself that it will do the job on a bike.

I found it here, and the current draw on hi beam is only 4.5 amps...nice!

http://www.trailduty.com/product_info.php?products_id=1012

Thanks for the info!

:happy34:

What is E-code lighting pattern?

Guest tx2sturgis

E-code means European Code. For bikes, the main benefit is the horizontal cutoff on low beam includes a slighty inclined shaft of light over to the right of the road and up higher than the horizon, which means its able to light up signs and oncoming animals from the right a bit better, AND they help light up the turning arc when your banking into a sharp right turn.....and they are perfectly legal in the USA on motorcycles and are stock on some Harley touring bikes, or at least they used to be...not sure now.

Guest tx2sturgis

4.5 amps is about is about same wattage draw as a standard H4.

57.6 watts at 12.8 V

Sure is close, but my point was that we can get whiter, brighter light, and still use the same stock harness without stressing it.

Sure is close, but my point was that we can get whiter, brighter light, and still use the same stock harness without stressing it.

Agreed, but some previous posts in this older thread were hoping for reduced current draw.

Gary

Guest tx2sturgis
Agreed, but some previous posts in this older thread were hoping for reduced current draw.

Gary

Well there is lot less draw on low beam...so that is of some benefit if running passing lites that are only on during low beam.