I have a strange rattle in my engine. When the bike is tilted to the left, while on the side stand, there is a rattle. When I pull the bike up straight, the rattle goes away. Anyone got any suggestions on what you think this may be? It has been doing it for quite a while.

When I had the collector off the other day, I could not tell if there were any baffles loose in it.

RandyA

Is it definately internal? the reason I ask is your statement about the baffle, sugesting that it could be exhaust related. What might be helpful is a short piece of garden hose used as a primitave stethoscope to help pinpoint the location.

I was thinking the possibility of some kind of sideplay such as waterpump impeller, starter clutch, etc...

Randy I have one of my scoots doing the same thing. i Know for sure on my bike it is in the tranny.

With the scoot on the side stand sit on the bike (very important) and rev the motor if it is in the tranny the bike may like mine try to jump forward where the gears are trying to engage. My scoot has no second gear and I have not heard this on one with an opperational second gear but check it anyway the scoot may be telling you that you need to go back into the transmission and fix her again. Good luck

Jeff

Guest timshosvt
Randy I have one of my scoots doing the same thing. i Know for sure on my bike it is in the tranny.

With the scoot on the side stand sit on the bike (very important) and rev the motor if it is in the tranny the bike may like mine try to jump forward where the gears are trying to engage. My scoot has no second gear and I have not heard this on one with an opperational second gear but check it anyway the scoot may be telling you that you need to go back into the transmission and fix her again. Good luck

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I had a bit of a rattle when the whole main shaft slid to the left. Here's more info, but I know you followed the thread already. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11493

TIm

Many possibilities...my first thought would be cam timing chain slack. Maybe the tension ratchet is stuck or the chain guides are worn. But you have to locate the general area first. I like Yammer Dan's suggestion, but I think that would rattle all the time, upright or on the sidestand.

Mine would not rattle at idle Denden, but only when reved as the RPMs were climbing. Don't remember if sitting certain way would do it but only noticed it when sitting (It was on Blue Beast) and I tightened the rear header shield and it quit.Don't know why it was loose. They are bad at wearing out mounting holes too. Then the chamber started to go. I thought timing chain when I heard mine.Hope it is a simple fix Randy.

Mine would not rattle at idle Denden, but only when reved as the RPMs were climbing. Don't remember if sitting certain way would do it but only noticed it when sitting (It was on Blue Beast) and I tightened the rear header shield and it quit.Don't know why it was loose. They are bad at wearing out mounting holes too. Then the chamber started to go. I thought timing chain when I heard mine.Hope it is a simple fix Randy.

The rear header heat shield (on my '83), broke at one of the mounting holes. I don't remember at what speed or RPM it rattled, but I remember having a heckuva time finding the rattle. My solution (the easy fix) was to run a big SS hose clamp around the heat shield and header tube. It has been held in place like that for many years and many miles...and no more rattles.

I have not taken the time to really try to pin point the engine rattle. It has been doing it for a long time as I noted, probably for at least 10,000 miles. Like I said, it only does it when the bike is leaning on the side stand, as when I straighten the bike up, it goes away. I also changed the collector this past weekend and nothing changed as far as the rattle.

I am more inclined to think it might be timing chain related, more than gear related. Also, when I lean it left as far as I can in neutral, it does not have any jumping that I have noticed.

I have an 86 1300 engine with 46,000 miles on that sat outside for awhile with the carbs off and it is locked up. I have taken the pan off and looked in the bottom and it looks real good and clean. I am thinking about pulling the heads and seeing what it looks like from that end. I might just need a hone job and some new rings and maybe a valve job.

RandyA

I have a shop and tools, bring the 86 motor over and we will tear into it. (Hey I could use the education)

No luck on the proportioning valve, it is still "frozen".

Front brakes done!

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
Guest timshosvt
Hi Jeff,

I had a bit of a rattle when the whole main shaft slid to the left. Here's more info, but I know you followed the thread already. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11493

TIm

Did you try to tighten all the bearing retainers on that shaft? Mine sounded like the shift fork or a gear was rattling. That's why I posed the question regarding play on the gear shaft. Your shift fork might just be bent again. Mine was slightly bent in addition to the loose retainer bolts.

Good luck,

Tim