My BMW dealer's service man told me that I could use it in lieu of the BMW oil "if need be". Basically, if it meets the owner's manual's specifications, you're fine. He did point out that most motorcycle specific oils have more additives in them for longevity's sake, because they're typically not ridden as often and for as many miles as cars. So if you planned on leaving your bike sit all winter long, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use an oil formulated for motorcycles. That was all I needed to hear. I went to my local Farm & Fleet and bought a gallon jug if it for about what I'd pay for a quart of the BMW oil. Because I don't know about the rest of you, but my bike doesn't sit for any length of time if I have anything to say about it. :thumbsup2:

So no, I can't say for sure it'll work for the older Ventures, because I'm not familiar with them, but as I said, if it meets manual spec, I'm sure it'd be fine.

Either Rotella is fine, the dino oil or the synthetic. I've used both in my 90, it still has the synthetic rotella in it. Runs great, seems to shift smoother with the synthetic than with the dino. I'll probably use it in the 06 when it's due. Get it at Walmart for not very much $ in a gallon container.

Either Rotella is fine, the dino oil or the synthetic. I've used both in my 90, it still has the synthetic rotella in it. Runs great, seems to shift smoother with the synthetic than with the dino. I'll probably use it in the 06 when it's due. Get it at Walmart for not very much $ in a gallon container.

Paid $22 / gal for SYN at Wally World 3 days ago... price has doubled in last 2 years. :starz:

There was a thread around here on the big rig oil. If I remember correctly it is blended for high shear strength due to the high pressures in the valve train of the big engines.

The owners manual metions what additives you can't use. From the manual for my 07:

API service SG type or higher, JASO standard MA. Do not use diesel specification of "CD" or oils of a higher quality then specified. In addition, do not use oils labeled "ENGERY CONSERVING II" or higher.

The jug of Rotella dino I have sitting around seems to meet all of the requirements. For that matter so does many of the automotive oils on the shelf. Add that it (I think) carries the higher shear strength and about half the price of motorcycle oils it will work for me. After reading that report it also sounds like what I will be using in a semi high performance small block Chevy I hope to get done some day.

Motorcycle oil blended for more intermittent use is something I hadn't hear of before but it would be a good idea. At least the no riding season is short around here, just have to wait for the temperatures to get under 110.

Jerry