IGNORED

Wal-Mart Optic lights

I, as some of the others here, have bought and mounted the Wal-Mart Optronics driving lights on their bike. And like everyone else mounted them in the front fender bolt area. However with the air deflectors hitting on the back of the lights I added some extenders in stainless. While it worked to a degree I still hit occasionally when hard braking so today I moved em once again.

This time I bought a set of the Kuryakyn "P" clamps in 1" size #4018. Mounted them just below the footrests on the front crash bars. Really lights up the road surface now.

Only real drawback here was cost of the "P" clamps. At $20 each they sure aren't cheap but look great and fit perfect for the job at hand.

I must make one other note here in that one reason why my air deflectors were hitting is due to me having the light bar extension which of course moves them right near the Optronics lights. If it wasn't for that then the fork light location works very well indeed.

Larry

Edited by Carbon_One

UMM IMHO, where you mounted them makes you more visible to other drivers which is good.

However, for illuminating the road, you will get a LOT of shadows due to the lights are a lot lower than your eye level.

and in tight cornering they look like they will be the first thing to rub the road... so watch your alignment.

I would probably move them to the top of the front crash bars, but i don't have the optional wind deflectors installed on my bike.

Ok I can't lay the bike over as Buddy suggests. Kind of hard to do with a trike.:whistling: But I did go out and eyeball them again and I think they'll clear. It'll be pretty close but if the bike gets that far over you may have other worries.

Depending where you mount footrests or lack of them there should be plenty of room to put the clamp on the straight section of the bar. And then be able to mount them higher up if desired.

Don't know if there'll be "shadow" issues or not as I haven't ridden the bike at night yet, but they sure do a job of lighting up the driveway.:thumbsup2:

As a side note here you still get full adjustment range of the lights - left or right & up & down so you can play with that for whatever suits you.

Larry

Guest tx2sturgis

I dont get it. Why are you guys putting $20 lights on $15,000 to $20,000 bikes?

I'm sure its fun trying to rig some of this stuff up, but why not just get something made for the bike?

Over the last year I have seen many attempts, some successful, some less so, of riders who are going out to the discount stores and hanging cheap, ugly driving lights on otherwise attractive bikes, using fabbed up hardware that looks...not so good.

Some reports I've seen on the forum indicate that some of the lamp housings rust, get loose, or just fall apart. Not to mention the shoddy chrome and failing electrical connections or bulbs that burn out too soon. These lamps were made for mounting on cars, with vibration resistance a non-issue.

Many riders have fitted the OEM Yamaha driving lights, and I think those are fine units. I have no problem with someone mounting those on the bike. But if your like me, and want something a bit different, but still of high quality, why not check out the Kuryakyn Silver Bullets? A pair of these lights and the clamps will run around $120 to $140. No, not cheap. But they are high quality units.

I used the nice chrome p-clamps and mounted them on my stock turn signal bar, and they look nice, work well, and dont interfere with fairing removal. I used a relay to power the lights, and since they are 20 watts each, they dont strain the stock electrical system. No, they dont burn the weeds off the shoulder of the road, but they DO add a lot of light in a flood pattern, lighting up the sides of the road, and roadsigns, and also, and maybe even more important, they enhance visiblility to oncoming traffic. Plus they look unique, and that helps the bike stand out.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/tx2sturgis/silverbullets.jpg

Not saying this is the answer for everyone, but I'm constantly wondering, what are these guys thinking? When it comes to quality lighting and chrome bits...you usually get what you pay for. These lights have been on the bike for over a year now, and no problems at all.

[/url]http://www.customdynamics.com/driving_lights.htm

I will be listing a set of KURYAKYN large silver bullets mounted on "Squids" brackets on ebay. They were mounted to my 87 VR which I think is sold. Mounted on the bike 2 months.

I also listed fairing puches, brown seat, hitch, etc.

Didn't intend on stealing your thread!

Regards Dave

BTW the Küryakyn Halogen Silver Bullet lamps (part number 2320) use MR16 bulb in the large size which is the same as the inexpensive Optronics lamp above, or a MR11 bulb in the small size (part number 2305), if you want higher or lower wattage or a different beam pattern search the Internet or there are some are at the hardware store in the low voltage lighting section (to save on shipping).

Make sure you get a bulb with a front glass if that is what is installed in the lamp from the factory!!!!!!!!!!! I am not certain as I do not have a set of Küryakyn Silver Bullets on my bike.

If anybdy has some of these lights installed on their bike, can the post the part numbers that are printed on the back of the bulbs??????

Edited by KiteSquid

Brian,

I mounted a set of those cheap lights on a set of shoddy brackets that I purchased from Squidley. I added stainless steel allen head hardware and acorn nuts. That was about 1 year and 15,000 miles ago. Through the sun and rain they have not rusted. The bulbs are still inside the housing and the cheap electrical connections are intact. The total cash outlay for the lights, hardware, brackets, relay and wiring was less than $60.00. The results have been viewed by other people as innovative and appealing. With the difference in money I have purchased in excess of 60 gallons of gas, travelled about 2700 miles and had quite a few enjoyable meets and rides. Through all of this my lights with the exact same bulb (MR16) as the Kuryakyns have lit up the night in Big Bend, shown me the way to and from Houston, Victoria, East Texas, and the local back roads of Hill Country. All on my sub-$4000.00 bike. I would say that my money and return on investment was good.

JB

Guest tx2sturgis
Brian,

I mounted a set of those cheap lights on a set of shoddy brackets that I purchased from Squidley......All on my sub-$4000.00 bike. I would say that my money and return on investment was good.

JB

Me too...I would say hey if its not broke, dont fix it! But you know, on a newer bike, its kinda nice to see some good looking hardware, instead of the exposed brass colored bolts and stamped and bent sheet metal brackets. Just my opinion.

I never said the bulbs were any better...just that when the housing is mounted on home made brackets, sometimes, vibration will take out the filament. In your case, you apparently got it right. ( Got pics?)

Tell me though, how much time did you spend on the project? I have seen posts of guys who have worked all day or two days cobbling up something that will work...when they can just spend a tad more on bike-specific driving lights and mount them in half an hour.

BTW...I need to check on the Texas Stampede Ride...I think it falls on a weekend I have to work.

Brian -

My write up on the lights can be found here:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19714

As far as time goes, the only extra I spent was obtaining the hardware at the local Lowe's store. But, that could be the case with any light mount. I too like quality

work and accessories. However, I approach it from the angle of doing my own work.

I like the challenge. And, I havent seen an accessory catalog for a 1986 Venture

with current available items! I may replace the lights in the near future with a different

brand or model. My only complaint is the wires from the light to the bracket. I might

get a small piece of chromed wire loom of some sorts. Also, I might send the brackets

out to get them chrome plated. However, the stainless steel looks good.

The Stampede is the weekend of the 18th of October. I hope you can make it. If

not for the weekend, then at least for that Saturday. Then you can see the lights

in person.

JB

I dont get it. Why are you guys putting $20 lights on $15,000 to $20,000 bikes?

I'm sure its fun trying to rig some of this stuff up, but why not just get something made for the bike?

Over the last year I have seen many attempts, some successful, some less so, of riders who are going out to the discount stores and hanging cheap, ugly driving lights on otherwise attractive bikes, using fabbed up hardware that looks...not so good.

Some reports I've seen on the forum indicate that some of the lamp housings rust, get loose, or just fall apart. Not to mention the shoddy chrome and failing electrical connections or bulbs that burn out too soon. These lamps were made for mounting on cars, with vibration resistance a non-issue.

Many riders have fitted the OEM Yamaha driving lights, and I think those are fine units. I have no problem with someone mounting those on the bike. But if your like me, and want something a bit different, but still of high quality, why not check out the Kuryakyn Silver Bullets? A pair of these lights and the clamps will run around $120 to $140. No, not cheap. But they are high quality units.

I used the nice chrome p-clamps and mounted them on my stock turn signal bar, and they look nice, work well, and dont interfere with fairing removal. I used a relay to power the lights, and since they are 20 watts each, they dont strain the stock electrical system. No, they dont burn the weeds off the shoulder of the road, but they DO add a lot of light in a flood pattern, lighting up the sides of the road, and roadsigns, and also, and maybe even more important, they enhance visiblility to oncoming traffic. Plus they look unique, and that helps the bike stand out.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/tx2sturgis/silverbullets.jpg

Not saying this is the answer for everyone, but I'm constantly wondering, what are these guys thinking? When it comes to quality lighting and chrome bits...you usually get what you pay for. These lights have been on the bike for over a year now, and no problems at all.

[/url]http://www.customdynamics.com/driving_lights.htm

Shoddy I can't agree . I have put the same lights as lonestarmedic on my 2nd gen and as many miles as he has I think mine will last for a very long time.And personally I think they look just as good as yours.So to worry about or criticize another... I say to each his or her own. that would be why we call them our own.

And there are other high quality show chrome bullet lights available without spending over 50 bucks for the pair. Heck some may even be better looking than those overly small ones. Check out the pics in my pic library and no wires showing at all. Mo money does not always equate to better.

Shoddy I can't agree . I have put the same lights as lonestarmedic on my 2nd gen and as many miles as he has I think mine will last for a very long time.And personally I think they look just as good as yours.So to worry about or criticize another... I say to each his or her own. that would be why we call them our own.

Guest tx2sturgis
Kury silver bullets will corrode as quick or quicker that many other lights. They are not quality I don't care how much you pay for them. You don't understand the inexpensive lights and I don't understand those red flames you have on the front fairing. To each his own! :hurts:

LOL!

Hey...if it made you post...my work is done!

:witch_brew:

You DO have a point...to each his own.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Squid Brackets!

OK, I JUST got my squidly brackets today in the mail (Thanks!)

also waiting are a quad set of lights from walmart, 2 flood and 2 beam, for about 20 each. Also got me a new pair of horns from ebay. All going on the squidley bracket tonight (late). I will post pictures tonight just for lookin'.

Personally, I'm always a function over form person... Or I guess I believe function IS form.. either way. Especially when it comes to lights and seeing at night. I have had one to many 'butt clinchers' on a motorcycle at night. Even wired my previously traded Hawk to run high and low beams at the same time for night driving as well as power directly from the battery for brighter lights.

Appearance takes a back seat (for me). If I can get a set of lights for 20 or 120 bucks and they both light up the road the same and (if they are mounted right) both last as long, then I'll pick the $20 regardless of how they look. BUT THATS JUST ME (and I have a 1st gen, so no parts designed for the bike :( )

Think those bullet lights look real good by the way. I bet they are super bright for their size!

Anyway, will drop some pics of completed work tonight. I will have another thread coming soon with all the other stuff I have done with my new 88 venture and these lights will be on it.

Guest tx2sturgis

Appearance takes a back seat (for me). If I can get a set of lights for 20 or 120 bucks and they both light up the road the same and (if they are mounted right) both last as long, then I'll pick the $20 regardless of how they look. BUT THATS JUST ME (and I have a 1st gen, so no parts designed for the bike :( )

Think those bullet lights look real good by the way. I bet they are super bright for their size!

Anyway, will drop some pics of completed work tonight. I will have another thread coming soon with all the other stuff I have done with my new 88 venture and these lights will be on it.

Those kuryakyn silver bullets are VERY bright...little intense points of light are very noticeable to oncoming traffic.

Now, just so were all on the same page...yes, I prefer to save money too. And on a 20 year old bike, the aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder anyway. So, there is a beauty in making something work.

I wasnt trying to rain on anyone..I was just expressing an opinion that sometimes we are trying to penny pinch a bit too much. I like an overall cohesive design, and a nice new bike deserves nice new hardware. If the bike is all shiny and new, I think its cosmetically damaging to hang some ugly hardware on it. And conversely, an older bike might look wonky if you put a couple of high dollar shiny bits on it, making the older hardware and chrome look aged.

To make a point, think of a nice new leather jacket. All smooth and fresh. Now sew on an old tattered, faded, torn patch. Might look out of place. Same thing with your old faded, wrinkled, comfy but well worn leather jacket with a few patches that have aged along with it..the jacket has character...now sew on a bright shiny new patch...again...looks out of place...at least for awhile.

If I had a brand new 2009 Corvette I wouldnt go looking at the fleamarket or Joes Hubcap Corner for a set of aftermarket wheels, but if I'm looking for a pickup toolbox for my old 63 Chevy stepside, I would definitely check out garage sales and fleamarkets.

Actually, I'm looking forward to seeing the results...as long as it aint ugly!

:missingtooth: