IGNORED

Question re: 2nd Gen Valve Adjustment

Guest JGorom

Well I've looked in my owner's manual, I've looked in my Yamaha Service Manual...what is the specified interval for adjusting the valves on the 2nd Gen?

My mileage recently dropped and got half of it back with a carb sync today...carbs are clean...use Seafoam often.

I'm thinking my valves may need adjusting and are causings some of my diminished MPG's so I'm hoping someone knows what the recommended intervals are.

Also my plugs and all filters are good and have all been recently changed.

Thanks in advance!!!

Just found it in the owner's manual...page 7-3...calls for every 26,600 (which is probably excessive)...I've got 30,000 on my 2nd Gen and I'm thinking this could be an issue for me right now...thowing off the air to fuel mixture.

Any thoughts?

Just found it in the owner's manual...page 7-3...calls for every 26,600 (which is probably excessive)...I've got 30,000 on my 2nd Gen and I'm thinking this could be an issue for me right now...thowing off the air to fuel mixture.

Any thoughts?

If you have air/fuel mixture problems, valves may not help. You may need to set the mixture on the carbs. If you have access to a ColorTune, it will help. Mine was way off - to the point where I was smelling gas when I drove.

However, thanks for making me look at this issue. I have 60K on my bike and have not even looked at the valve clearance. Will do some reading in the service manual tonight.

RR

That is when you are suppose to check them, but I bet if you do you will Nothing wrong with them. Checked a couple with more than double that without a problem.

GAS mileage is most likely a different issue. Could be just a the air outside and colder temperatures.

BRad

58,700 miles now and I have NEVER had the valves adjusted...

dont plan on it either.........

With all due Respect, that's not a good Idea. It's right, these Motors don't need much Attention regarding the Valve Settings, but you need to check the Clearances because these tend to get narrower and not noisy.

This can lead to burn the Valves, especially the Exhaust Valves. The first two Services should be performed as planned.

If you have air/fuel mixture problems, valves may not help. You may need to set the mixture on the carbs. RR

Already set the mixture on the carbs...I'm letting my dealer...who I trust do the valves this coming Tuesday.

With all due Respect, that's not a good Idea. It's right, these Motors don't need much Attention regarding the Valve Settings, but you need to check the Clearances because these tend to get narrower and not noisy.

This can lead to burn the Valves, especially the Exhaust Valves. The first two Services should be performed as planned.

I agree...which is why I'm having it done! Also some people are probably not aware that the valves being slightly off can lead to decreased mileage, and it doesn't really take much. I've done everything but the valve adjustment and I check my mileage with every single fill-up so I know where it should be and how the engine should perform.

I probably should have given more info on what was going on with my bike recently. I do keep track of my miles per gallon on every tank of gas. I always buy mobil gas because in our area they add no ethenol. Recently my mpg dropped by about 10 mpg over the past several fill-ups which got me looking into what was going on. My plugs were examined (put in last summer) and were fine. Air/fuel mixture reset...not a problem. All hoses checked for gas leaks, loose fittings or cracks...everything looked fine but I changed out two of the vacum plugs just to be safe. Even checked my tires (pressure and spin test for resistance). After all of this and a resynch of the carbs I gained back 6-7 mpg on the 10 I lost. The only other thing that has not been done that I feel can impact my mileage is the valve adjustment which Yamaha calls for at the 26,600 interval.

Once I have this done tomorrow...and get a chance to put 3 to 4 tankfuls through the bike I'll let you all know what the results are. Normally I would not have done a valve adjustment at 30,000 miles...would have waited maybe to 36,000...but the loss of mileage in light of all I've done so far makes me feel that I should look at this now.

For those of you who have avoided this service well past Yamaha's recommended limit...Squeeze has already pointed out a very good reason on why you should have this checked.

Been real busy lately with work...school...and life in general...but I will try to post my findings once I have something to say. Weather for Western New York is terrible for the next week but hopefully I can get 3-4 thankfuls of gas through my bike to give you all some balanced results.

Double check the fuel for water at the pump.

get a test tube.

put in a little water. mark the level of the water.

Put in some gas from the nozzle. you want to put in about 10 times as much gas as water.

cover and shake.

allow to rest for a few seconds... take this time to fill your tank.

note the level of the water.

If it has gone up, there is either water or ethanol in the gas........

discard the gas and water safely.