IGNORED

Trikes = False sense of security (?)

papa smurf

Hi all.

Just felt i should toss this out there. A new rider in our club got a voyager kit, rode barely 1000 miles, got her license, and departed for an all day ride with about 200 other bikes.

She is having an 8 hour surgery this Thursday to repair broken wrists, fingers, right arm, replace right shoulder. She has about 40 stitches in her face from the shield on her ff helmet. Numerous other cuts, bruises, etc.

Tell all your trike riding friends, yes, you too can crash. Don't let your guard down just because you have three wheels.

Yall ride safe, and say a prayer for my friend Debbie and her hubby Jerry.

are prayers are with her for a fast recovery and this is ture my mother inlaw is recoviring from her trike accendent when thay crashed the trike rolled becouse thay where pulling a trailer and the trailer landed on her back and broke it in 3 places she just got out of the hospitel and has a lot of theropy to do so be care ful with them

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

I'm pretty sure it was on the news last night a woman up in VA on her trike hit a pothole and flipped her trike. Always have to be on the look out for stuff no matter how many wheels ya got on the ground.

Hope she heals fast.

Sorry to hear about our mother in law's accident. Hope she's well on her way back to normal.

Margaret

Yes accidents can happen regardless of the number of wheels under you. Be it 2, 3, or 4.

Gotta agree with papa smurf here too as I have also talked to other trikers who seem to think all their worries are over now that they're on 3. Not going to happen as a trike has it's own set of problems unique to it's design. Same goes for regular 2 wheeled bikes. Or even side car rigs.

We all must stay vigilant while riding our bikes.

Prayers for Debbie and Jerry. Hope she has a full recovery too.

Larry

Yes accidents can happen regardless of the number of wheels under you. Be it 2, 3, or 4.

Gotta agree with papa smurf here too as I have also talked to other trikers who seem to think all their worries are over now that they're on 3. Not going to happen as a trike has it's own set of problems unique to it's design. Same goes for regular 2 wheeled bikes. Or even side car rigs.

We all must stay vigilant while riding our bikes.Larry

Some may recall that I transitioned to a GW trike a few months ago. I thoroughly enjoy the trike, but avoiding obstacles can be tough. If you are on two wheels, it is easy to go around the foreign object; if you are on four wheels, you can straddle the object. Where do you go when riding three wheels?? :shock3:

I think trikes are more dangerous then motorcycles. I'd rather have a sidecar then a trike.

That's why they quit making the 3 wheel ATV... they were too dangerous. Can't remember how many people were killed or injured before they took them off the market in '87 but it was a bunch. :(

I have to take exception to the comparison between the Honda atv's and current state of mc trike in general. For one thing the atv's were short and narrow, and mostly run over rough terrain. Add in a kid doing jumps or cranking the throttle and you certainly do have a recipe for disaster.

By comparison a mc trike is run on smooth roads are longer and wider. I've got almost 10k on my trike now and only twice have I lifted a rear wheel and both of those times were done delibertly in a parking lot checking to see just what extremes I had to do to do so. I've ridden side car rigs before thou no way near the miles and from personal experince I'll take a trike over the side car rig anyday for stability.

Like I said in an earlier post all bikes have limitations whether it be on 2 or 3 wheels. You get tossed off any bike and you'll be hurting in most cases.

Larry

OUCH!!!!

Larry I think your missing something this wasn't a real trike... It was one of those Training Wheel setups.. It turns it into a 4 wheeler... I think a real trike has gotta be more stable than those things... At least your always steering... I've talked to people with those Voyager kits and they seem dangerouse by nature... I guess they allow some lean... But how much? When you run out of lean what then? turn the bars?

http://www.geocities.com/kellybomar/voyagerkits/voyagercyclepicture.jpg

OUCH!!!!

Larry I think your missing something this wasn't a real trike... It was one of those Training Wheel setups.. It turns it into a 4 wheeler... I think a real trike has gotta be more stable than those things... At least your always steering... I've talked to people with those Voyager kits and they seem dangerouse by nature... I guess they allow some lean... But how much? When you run out of lean what then? turn the bars?

http://www.geocities.com/kellybomar/voyagerkits/voyagercyclepicture.jpg

Yea I seen that it was Voyager type kit and thus not a true trike in the sense of it having only 3 wheels. Like you I feel those units all have a whole other set of problems concerning riding them. I know of a few who have em and most say they would rather have a true trike. Costs is one of the reasons folks choose these set ups over trike coversions. You bring up a good point about leaning the bike and then running out of lean. I don't know the answer to that as I haven't ridden a bike with a Voyager type set up. Maybe Frogman can shed some light on this as he has one on his 99.

From what I've read and people I've talked to these type rigs are a bear to turn thou.

Larry

Sorry to hear about your friends and pray for a quick recovery. I wouldn't blame the trike as much as some of the other contributing factors, low experience as a rider, riding in such a large group, and like some have said the voyager can be hard to handle. Without knowing the circumstances of the accident I'd hesitate condemn trikes as a whole. We all know you can't let your guard down even for a moment. Again our thoughts and prayers go out to your friend Debbie and her husband.

I have to take exception to the comparison between the Honda atv's and current state of mc trike in general. For one thing the atv's were short and narrow, and mostly run over rough terrain. Add in a kid doing jumps or cranking the throttle and you certainly do have a recipe for disaster.

By comparison a mc trike is run on smooth roads are longer and wider. I've got almost 10k on my trike now and only twice have I lifted a rear wheel and both of those times were done delibertly in a parking lot checking to see just what extremes I had to do to do so. I've ridden side car rigs before thou no way near the miles and from personal experince I'll take a trike over the side car rig anyday for stability.

Like I said in an earlier post all bikes have limitations whether it be on 2 or 3 wheels. You get tossed off any bike and you'll be hurting in most cases.

Larry

I have to agree with Larry, I have had my trike since July, and I enjoy it very much. I ride it just like I did my 2 wheels, "like riding in a race, trying to come in last place". Riding is "wind therapy" to me and I enjoy riding, it just so happens I have to have three wheels now. Those of you that have those "V" kits put on, just be careful, they don't handle like trikes do. You do have three wheels across the back. Accidents are going to happen we just don't know when. My prayers are going out to the lady that got injured and hope she recovers.

Ken:12101:

Many folks say that Trikes are much more stable than a scoot. For the ones I have driven I would say that it takes a whole new riding technique and awareness of the Trike's capabilities that the rider needs to develop. Failure to develop proper riding technique will eventually catch up to the rider and the end result can be disaster.

papa smurf...... good thoughts and prayers for your friend to recover quickly from this mishap!

Papa Smurf didn't mention what kind of accident it was. IT reads like rider error rather than someone turning in front of them etc.

If you can Papa, let us know what type of accident it was.

No matter what you ride or drive, you can't let concentration wander or overdrive your vehicle, skills and sight.

I ride with several groups, and never let the group dictate to me how fast I go in situations where my "alarm" goes off. Same with my wife. I have told her to go with her gut, and slow down if she doesn't feel right.

And we all know that no matter how careful you are, you can't plan on the stupidity of the oncoming or turning driver/rider next to you or in front/side of you. All you can do is drive aware, and keep as much safety zone as possible around you. Also, try not to ride in the most dangerous times, late at night super early morning, bad weather, rush hour etc. Can't avoid all of them all the time, but try to eliminate as many problem areas as possible.

I have been lucky so far on my 2nd go round with a motorcycle, and am enjoying the heck out of my VR. But I remember the words of a pro racer who told me this:

"The minute you think you have your motorcycle figured out.....stop, get off and get a little bit afraid of it again." A little fear is a healthy thing.

• 3 years later...

I've been riding for over 50 years now, both on two wheels and on three and my one rule is always the same:

"EVERYTHING on the road (or in the road) is your ENEMY .... STAY AWAY FROM IT!!!"

PS: My leathers have NEVER felt the pavement or gravel. I know, you'll say I'm lucky and it's true but I'm also careful. We all have too much fun out there to spoil it by having an accident.

"Nuff said !

In fact machines with one wheel at the front and two at the back are not very stable. That is why the Morgan sports car started out with two wheels on the front and one in the back as do the new types of three wheelers. With one wheel at the front they are easier to tip in a corner.

First I have to say the very best to the lady and her recovery.

Secondly........ where are the comments about her being a new, in-experienced rider who got too confident, and rode "outside her comfort zone" There is no way that such an in-experienced rider should have gone off in a group of 200? other bikes for a long run. She would have tried to keep up, or do something a more experienced rider was doing!!!!! Seen it many times where people are pushed beyond their capabilities in the need to "keep up" with the others.

I have ridden two wheels, sidecar, Voyager, and now trike... and have enjoyed them all. The biggest problem can always be the "human" in control of it.

I think trikes are more dangerous then motorcycles. I'd rather have a sidecar then a trike.

But like Carbon one said Side cars have their own set of rules as well and not as stable as a trike. I had a side car rig for 15 years and Learned well the technique i needed to be safe. i agree with Annie that this poor woman should not have been out there with all those riders. Or her partner or riding biddy should have been watching out more for his novice companion. Novice meaning to the voyager kit as well as riding. every device is different.

Edited by PB&J

That's why they quit making the 3 wheel ATV... they were too dangerous. Can't remember how many people were killed or injured before they took them off the market in '87 but it was a bunch. :(

Completely different design, the only thing they have in common with a trike motorcycle is 3 wheels. The Honda's you speak of had a very high center of gravity and balloon tires, without nerf bars it was easy to run your own leg over, you'd have a hard time doing that on a triked motorcycle.

I have a friend that is almost quadriplegic from a rollover on one of the old Honda 3 wheelers. His lawsuit against Honda was the reason Honda and other Manuf. stopped making them. You really had to understand the dynamics of them or they would hurt you.

The problem, I'm sorry to say is that trikes with one front and two rear wheel configuration are just not stable when cornering. This is not an opinion, it's physics. When cornering a trike, the forward momentum moves most of the weight of the machine and most all the weight of the rider to the outside of the front wheel opposite to the direction of the turn.

I'm not saying you all should give up your trikes...I'm just saying be aware.

The problem, I'm sorry to say is that trikes with one front and two rear wheel configuration are just not stable when cornering. This is not an opinion, it's physics. When cornering a trike, the forward momentum moves most of the weight of the machine and most all the weight of the rider to the outside of the front wheel opposite to the direction of the turn.

I'm not saying you all should give up your trikes...I'm just saying be aware.

You are correct about the weight transfer. I took our new to us Hannigan to a round-about and ran circles increasing my speed every other lap around, I finally had to stop because I couldn't fight the centrifugal force any longer, I never was able to lift a tire in the turn. With the Hannigan trike, I have found that the limiting factor in a turn is your strength to be able to hold on :yikes: . I have yet to be able to lift a rear tire in a corner. I think this has to do with the wide stance and a correctly set-up independent rear suspension of the Hannigan.

The Hannigan trike kit is W I D E and much more stable. Don has only lifted a rear tire once, the very first time he rode it after it was triked. Like Jay, I have to hang on for dear life because the G force when cornering is beyond belief! I thank God (AND CARBON ONE) everyday for my armrests. Otherwise I would be flying off the side. I'm not saying Don drives crazy, he is very watchful and rides defensively...but he loves the speed...so I hang on.

I realize of course that there is always something that could happen..but I have never felt so safe as I do on this trike. I think the main thing is the driver, the experience that he / she has and how they react to situations. Does not matter if you are on 2, 3 or 4 wheels. It's how you react to the situation, KNOWING your bike and it's limitations.

Praying for her recovery.

Patti