IGNORED

Lost Seat Hold Down Nut Replacement - 2nd Gen

KeithR

I lost one of my seat hold down nuts awhile ago and figured if I replaced it with an original I would lose it again eventually. I picked up a couple of drawer pull knobs for .99 ea. They are all plastic and are not threaded. I just happen to have a 6mm tap so after drilling them(5mm or 13/64") I tapped the hole in the knob. It has been on there quite awhile.It makes removing the seat a breeze and are easy to check and give them a quick twist if needed.

Keith

I just took my off and left them off. Seat ain't gonna fall off with my big butt on it.

Yep, same here.......with my fat butt on it, it surely isnt going anywhere..

and if I crashed, do you think I would really care if the seat stayed on... :thumbsup2:

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Lightnen
I lost one of my seat hold down nuts awhile ago and figured if I replaced it with an original I would lose it again eventually. I picked up a couple of drawer pull knobs for .99 ea. They are all plastic and are not threaded. I just happen to have a 6mm tap so after drilling them(5mm or 13/64") I tapped the hole in the knob. It has been on there quite awhile.It makes removing the seat a breeze and are easy to check and give them a quick twist if needed.

Keith

I tried this the other day sure works slick. I found the knobs at home hardware but when I got home I couldn't fine my tap bummer I thought but with the knobs being a hard plastic thought what the hay I'll just force them on after drilling out a bit bigger and of course the seat studs cut new threads just like the tap would have. So you really don't need the tap but I'm sure it would help .. just a thought here..

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I also lost one of my nuts (the ones under the seat:moon:) ha, ha, and have also tried the wing nuts, but both are still a pain in the arse to get off. Really, all you need is a tight fitting rubber (do I hear a chuckle:p) to place on over the bolts. That should keep it in place. That's what I will be doing in spring when I put my battery in. It will make removing the seat a breeze. Can't see why it wouldn't work?

Cheers, from another Newf

Bar @ Carbonear, and "how's she go'n by", to the other Newf in Grand Falls;)

• 1 year later...

I just took my off and left them off. Seat ain't gonna fall off with my big butt on it.

Yep, same here.......with my fat butt on it, it surely isnt going anywhere..

and if I crashed, do you think I would really care if the seat stayed on... :thumbsup2:

Damn, Eck! Now I see where it all started!

• 5 months later...

Before I got my "Butler Nuts", I used a thin piece of vacuum hose for a washer and put a 6mm wing nut from Home Depot on my seat. Tighten it down hard to compress the rubber washer, it never loosen up.

Rick takes nylon nuts and epoxys them into a thumb nut wheel. Works good.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

After loosing my 3rd set about 60000 miles ago, I just left them off. My philosophy may not be right, but my 270 lbs has done a good job of holding the seat down for the past 60+k.

However it did make it a lot easier to get to fuse for my gerbings on the side of I-65 one cold rainy night last January. I was shaking so hard I don't think I could have got the stupid little nuts off, much less back on.

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem with the seat bolts coming off. I noticed the seat loose and upon inspection found that one was gone and another loose. Ordered the bolts from Yamaha and installed with lock tight. No problem since. 2008 Venture :dancefool: DanC