Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. I have a '97 RSTD, it normally runs great, but lately it had started to pop or backfire at higher RPM/Speed and I can't figure out what the problem is. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I have drained the tank and put in fresh gas and run a can of Sea Foam through it already.
  2. Ok. I bought a 1999 Venture a few weeks ago. I know the last guy that had it let it sit for about 3 years. He also apparently tried to do some exhaust mods to the stock exhaust and totally butchered it. The bike runs pretty good so I thought I would take it into the local shop and have the carbs cleaned and synced. They did but it still backfired a lot. They said it was the bastardized exhaust causing the issue. So I bought some LA Custom slip-ons. I just put them on and it did not fix anything. Sounds louder and good but still backfiring. This all happens with little to no load on the engine. I also note that if I am in 3rd or 4th gear and cruising along and decide to speed up a little, it tends to bog. I told the local shop this and they said I need to rejet. I'm very new to Yamaha and know very little about their engine setup. It is just plain embarrassing to ride like this. I've hear different things about some circuit that is supposed to open something up during decel, low load, etc. to let more air in or something. What do you guys think? I know somebody has the answer and I'm not quite sure that the garage has the answer. I already spent money on a new exhaust that they said would fix it. I'm running out of money. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have not replaced the plugs yet. Thank you.
  3. 1989 XVZ13 63K Miles. Purchased 2 years ago and finally got suspension and other troubles sorted. I've been getting a few weekend close-to-home miles over last 2 months. 2-4 hour rides max. (I don't trust her yet). Bike has developed (or I just began to notice?) a low RPM miss. Under low throttle acceleration at about 3600RPM I hear popping from exhaust then, as RPM increases to around 4000, a 4th cylinder appears to engage and bike smooths out. Closing throttle from high RPM results in a backfiring fit as it slows through about 4500RPM - very predictable. At constant cruise any RPM bike vibrates and sounds like a 3 cylinder machine. At Wide Open Throttle, bike is "notchy" with moderate acceleration up to about 4000RPM then Oh My Dear God! It appears to discover the 4th cylinder and earns its reputation. It's producing 37MPG over the last 8 tanks of gas. Not right. Mucho Seafoam thru unit: ~10% of every 2nd tank has been miracle juice. Figure 8 tanks is enough to fix the "bad gas" scenario & do all the chemistry cleaning possible on the bike with Seafoam. Another solvent recommendation before fiddling with her guts? What should I be looking for, do, check, buy, etc.? A reference to a thread covering my problem is probably all you need to post - I simply can't whittle down my search enough to find the right / best one. I'd love to hear any advice that anyone has to give me - lord knows I'm not much of a mechanic: witness installing 3 used mono shocks all resulting in too high a ride height only to find the linkages that came with the replacement shocks were ALL different than the original. Pull original linkage off of blown shock, install new shock into old linkage and install onto bike and, Presto! FIXED! Arrrgh!
  4. I just bought a 1996 Royal star classic, only issue is a popping noise only on the Right Aft cyl or #3 Happens shortly after engine starts to warm up 2min popps at all ranges of rpm but it does NOT back fire (loud bang) Where should I start looking first - vaccum - carb sync ? Thanks Pete ptynning@msn.com
  5. I removed my Yics system months ago and capped the ports with rubber vaccuum caps that i got at an automotive store. I capped the inner Yics hoses (bolt and clamp) since i couldnt reach them and used a cap on the outer ports. Recently, i started getting the popping back and then the strong gas smell. After looking closely during a break on a ride, i noticed that one of my rubber caps had deteriorated to a point where it was just attached by a thin piece of rubber (huge vaccuum leak). I need to find good quality rubber caps. Any ideas? When my bike started popping and smelling .......i started thinking Yamaha Tenere again, but after finding out my problem is a little one, i am keeping my comfortable beast. Would this type of leak be enough to cause the light popping on decel or should i look elsewhere as well. I did synch my carbs before my cross country trip. Is it time again?
  6. Well, I got off my butt and put the bike on the lift yesterday. Put the stock leveling links back on, tightened up the neck bearing. That took a half turn to snug it up! Then I went ahead and pulled the fairing loose and pushed the forks up 3/4". Plugged the ais system. Took it for a quick ride yesterday and a 55 mile ride into work this morning. So far, Very happy with the saddle height. I can touch flat footed sitting on the bike and have my knees bent. When I stand up I have about an 1 1/2" clearance. Me likey. The bike haandles much better at low and high speeds. Seems like I can turn a tighter radius. Me likey that too. AIS plugged. I know some are against it, but for $1.28 for the 2 rubber stoppers and the 15 minutes it took I figured why not. Pretty much eliminated the popping through the exhaust. I run 29" Samson turnouts. It may even be a tad quieter without those gases burning in the pipes, I could be wrong though, but could just be because it does'nt pop like it used too. I do have a small exhaust leak and need a new doughnut gasket. Once I replace those, I do not think I will get any popping at all. Me likey likey.
  7. Hey all, I am the proud owner of an 06' midnight venture. The knucklehead before me gutted the ends of the mufflers with a screwdriver. They look like ass. The sound is good but there is alot of popping when the throttle is released or going down hill off the gas. I just installed Baron Bag Slash Slip-Ons. The factory baffles were not wrapped, Wow are they loud, can't hear my Jimmy Buffett cassette. The popping is even LOUDER now. I wrapped the baffles with fiberglass, took it down to almost bearable, still popping loud. Does anyone have a suggestion? Muffler Brand? Tuning? Etc. The Baron Mufflers are going to be returned. Thanks
  8. After installing a set of LA Choppers Oval Bag Slash Slip on pipes I quickly discovered how much more "popping and crackling" was going on in the pipes....I decided to purchase a jet kit from Factory Pro ("drop in" requiring no slide drilling) #crb-y92-1.0. This decision was based on the majority of opinions that the RSTD's are lean from the factory. Just picked up bike today. Crackling & popping and occasional backfire upon decel. and hard throttle have been cured! Much more pleasant (IMHO) to my ears, no pops or garbled sounds on downshifts either. Occassionally when you back off throttle quickly after hard accell. there is a "pop" - but just one (grin) not the "dozens" as before and this does not happen each time. If you're curious the install was a coule hund. bucks (+100 for jet kit). Oh yeah, plus a few "hun." for pipes......Oh well, nuthin' comes cheap nowadays anyhow. These pipes are a deep throaty rumble at idle and produce a sharp mid-tone bark when snapping throttle. I like the idle a lot, throttle bark is nice too; however, the cruising volume on highway could get old on long trips.....I think I'll look into wrapping the baffles with steel wool (two brothers racing) or fiberglass packing. Anybody have an idea as to what percentage of volume reduction can be had by packing baffles? (These pipes are the same as the Baron's Oval Bag Slash Pipes) Anyway, it may not be necessary to jet this bike with stock or slip-on pipes but it sure smoothes down the exhaust note a lot! (Popping and crackling and occassiona back/afterfire accurred with stock pipes as well. Later & Advice/opinion is always welcome!
  9. I have an 07 RSTD with 21k and since I have owned it only 6 weeks I don't have a lot of info about what was done by the prior owner (original). So that being said I believe it to be stock, I know the exhaust is, I'm experiencing some slight decel popping. Is this a tuning issue that is a warranty item or is it normal?
  10. I just purchased a 2005 RTSD with a little over 7,000 miles for $6,000 which I am hoping was a decent deal. But any ways I test drove it and it never showed the first sign of a problem. But on my way home it started cutting out when accelerating and popping on deceleration. Well at the end of my 200 mile trip home the bike was cutting out pretty bad pretty much through about 70% of the rev band and popping any time I stared to decelerate. I know the bike has been siting for about 7-8 weeks and not sure if that would have anything to do with it or at least to that extent. (Oh, and the bike has a pair of BUB's on it if that may be contibuting to the problem). My last bike was fuel inj. so I never had any of these problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks: Tim
  11. Good morning everyone. I've made a couple of changes to my 06 RSTD. I installed a set of RK exhaust that are drilled out on both ends (see through) and a set of K&N filters. After the installation of RK exhaust I started experiencing popping on decel when going from 4th down to 3rd and 3rd down to 2nd. After I installed the filters the exhaust seems a bit louder (the sound is perfect - not too loud but it sounds really nice on accelleration) and the popping does too. So, now that I've made those enhancements I want to rejet with bigger jets. My questions are: 1. Where and what jets should I buy? 2. Would rejetting take care of my popping issue? 3. Is there a step-by-step somewhere so I can do the install myself or would I be better off to take it to my Stealer considering my mechanical abilities are less that perfect? I've already stuck more money into the bike than I wanted too this year so any do-it-myself work would be acceptable. I just don't know if replacing the jets is something I should tackle. Thoughts, feelings, comments everyone? Thanks, Les
  12. Hi everyone first time posting here. I got a question? I have a 06 midnight venture with around 26000 miles on it and the more I drive it I notice a popping sound coming from the drive line only when im backing it out of my shead. Now it stops when I ride it a few miles and it dont seem to hurt anything? But when its been sitting a few days it pops alot when i back it out? I checked the rear end and it all looks good there. So any comments or sugestions would help. Be cool and ride ride ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. Hey guys. jose here with my 96 rstd. I just purchased this bike 3 weeks ago. The bike had a hard time rolling when cold and also popping at idle and decel. I decided to adjust the valves and clean the carb. All intakes were tight at 27,600k miles exhaust were fine. Plugs looked good and I changed them anyway. The carbs had some gunk build up. Everything back together and the bike pulls like a monster but i get popping through the pipes at Idle. Accel and lots of popping on decel. My lil bit of experience tells me this is a rich condition allowing raw fuel in the pipes which get ignited by the heat and there fore make a popping sound in the pipes. Question if i am correct is.How do I lean this out a bit to get her running better. the bke was bought with aftermarket louder pipes. not sure the make of pipes. the baffle are still in and yet it sounds pretty loud. I have yet to spray carb cleaner by the intakes to see if any change in RPm which is what i read to do to locate and intake leak. does anyone have a pic of the pilot screws. I looked for the caps and think i found the holes to be drilled out but I am not sure http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh221/muaymendez/tag%20o%20rama/SDC10352.jpg
  14. Took my VR out for a ride today and noted that the fuel gauge, which had been down to 4 bars yesterday, was now showing full. In fact there was a bar where the "Full" usually resides. I had it up to 200 km (about 125 miles) with no change, then as I took a fairly sharp right hander at an intersection, it dropped down to 5 bars and the "Full" reappeared. Once I straightened up, it went back to about 6 bars. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this (Besides some prohibitively expensive part needing replacement.)? Oh yeah, also...I've not had previous experience with a VR before and do't know anyone with one around here. So...on deceleration, when it gets down to around 2,000 r.p.m., there's a sound coming from under the "Gas tank" that sounds like...well...slapping, popping. I know that's not the best description, but for now, it's all I have. It may be perfectly normal, but I've never had that particular sound on any bike I've owned before. And finally (Don't newbies get annoying after a while?), when I start it up (Hot or cold) the motor spins a couple of revs then seems to "hang" for a split second then starts. Again, does that sound normal? I'm really going to have to find someone with a MKII to do some comparing.
  15. Have 2009 RSV with paint problems on the gas tank and fender. It is two toned red & black. It looks like you have rock chips in the paint, but paint was popping off from underneath on red only. Called Yahama to see if they were having a paint problem on the 09s of course they said no. They said to take it to the dealer that you bought it from. So I did. They said they would order me a new gas tank to replace the old one. Last Monday I got the new tank. Took them a day to get the new gas tank on. Now they have ordered the front fender. Don't know when it will get here. They didn't put the badges on the tank. I kind of like it without them. If you have any paint looking problems don't be surprised because it is popping off from underneath the paint. Especially on the newer bikes. Looked like it had the measels. LOL It looks good now. Hal
  16. I worked on my bike these past few days, and got it ready last night to ride to work today. I started her up and let her idle as I put on helmet and gloves, and put down the garage door. I eased down the driveway, not wanting to wake the cul-de-sac by roaring off. As I approached the intersection, I let off the throttle to listen for popping. (One of the things I did was to re-install the pipes since a faulty joint was a suspect on my popping on decel issue) As I turned and accelerated, she began to hesitate as if out of gas. I know she has gas since I had taken the tank off and had to heft it back. I switched from reserve where I normally run to main, with no help. Finally, she stalled and wouldn't start. I pushed her home, and man am I sweaty! We had fog, so you know it was Houston Humid. I've found she'll start and rough idle with full choke. Try to blip the throttle and she dies. Take off the choke, and she dies. Over the weekend, I took off the tank and side panels. I installed Powerlets on the left side plastic panel where the passenger floorboards mount. Is there something I forgot to hook up? I think I hear a knock when the fuel pump is energized, but not the knock knock knock that happens if she is off for a while. Ideas? Dave
  17. I am a little confused now after my 400 plus mile trip to the NC mtns Monday and Tuesday. :confused07: I checked gas mileage at every stop and it clocked it at 43-45 each time. I have read on here that this mileage is OK. The confusing part is, I feel it is running rough as all get out. I have plans to find someone to assist with a carb sync. Reasons: 1) A little sluggish since I installed baffles and repacked the Bag Slash pipes. 2) Lots of popping with deceleration. Now I am not sure it is a sync problem. Popping is annoying. Any comments.
  18. got a deal on a 96 rsstd w/only 9k miles this summer! been a blast to ride! previous owner installed a dyna 3000, and a barrons big air kit, and aftermarket slip ons. my only issues have been exhaust popping, mainly during warm up, but also during ride when downshifting. and poor fuel economy. about 95miles and i am switching to reserve. ignition is set at 6500 rev limit and curve 4. plugs look good and she idles smooth. any input would be appreciated. thanks.
  19. Folks are talking about pluging the AIS to cure popping on decel. What and where is it? Thanks
  20. I started having the dreaded popping at deceleration again. My AIS is connected and I have new spark plugs (as of June, 5K on them). There is no noticeable cracks in the vacuum lines or carb nipple covers. I do have some leakage at the "Y" pipes. Before the Texas Panhandle Maintenance Day I put a can of 44K in the gas tank, ran it one day, let it sit for three days and then we took off towards North Texas. The popping is gone. If you think you have dirty carburetors and Seafoam hasn't helped, try the 44K. Ponch
  21. I have a popping and burbling on my right exhaust pipe,especially on decelleration.AIS has been plugged.Resynced the carbs yesterday with Morgan Carb Tune.I had a set of Harley Street Glide pipes on it,found an exhaust leak at the clamp and thought that was what was causing the problem.Removed them and put stock exhaust with the end baffle removed back on.Still have the same problem.I checked the Y pipe for a leak and cannot see one,but that doen't mean its not there.Left side does not do this.It is smooth,like it is supposed to be.It is still under warranty,but if its not warranty work,My dealer where I bought the bike charges $120 per hour.I can't afford that right now.I hope some one here can help.Any ideas?The bike has 8500 miles on it and is a 2007 RSV.I thught about changing plugs. I don't think it will help,but stranger things have happened.
  22. So i drained the battery the other day by leaving it on Today I tried one of those jump starters that plugs into the wall. Heard some popping and it didn't turn over. But the popping didn't sound good. Does that thing put out too much amperage? Did I kill it? How much is this going to cost??? :bawling: I guess it's time to send the seat to rick since I may not be riding a while...
  23. A friend of mine has a '05 RSTD. When you turn the handlebars all the way left or right there is a popping noise from the stearing head. Could it be lack of greese or just wornout bearings. He says the bike handles fine. tew47
  24. Ok folks: You guys (n gals) are amazing and have helped me so much. Here we go again. Sometimes when downshifting it skips second and goes right to neutral from 3rd. Not all the time and seems to work more often than not but I believe it is getting worse. I know someone here will be able to tell me what the problem is. I don't have 2nd popping out on acceleration. Upshifting is smooth and never misses a beat. A few weeks ago I had to take the clutch cover off and have a look at the thingy with the pins. A couple of them were loose so I fixed that and all was good. Any ideas? HELP?? Wayne
  25. Wow what a weekend!! decide to address some things on the Pearl, and well ended up doing more than planned..... New dunlop404's front and rear, new brakes all the way around, spark plugs, air filters, sync'ed the carbs, plugged the ais unit, changed the oil, and added a lil more chrome! all and all a good weekend other that the wifey's claim I went MIA. But anyways no more popping AT ALL, she purrrrrrrssss!!! now to put some more miles on her thanks to everyone for all the great write ups YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!