Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. Hello fellow Venturer's, I was able to get my hands on the TomTom Rider 550. It is great just like my Brother @cowpuc finds the twisties for you along with free world wide map updates and free traffic- as long as it is connected to wifi or bluetooth off your phone. I really like it and will be using it from now on. Here is my review. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2020/07/01/tomtom-rider-550-review-gps-and-more-for-motorcycles/ VentureFar...
  2. Thinking about getting a Zumo 550 for 3 reasons...weather, road construction, mp3+xm. Ride mostly in ND, SD, WY, MT where alternate routes are few & far between, so knowing what's in front of me is a good idea! Have a few questions though: 1) With NavTraffic it shows road construction but it says it only has 80 markets...and none up north. Am I correct that I won't get road constr info for up here, or can I get road const but just not the up to the minute traffic reports, etc? 2) With WX Weather subscription, can I display weather on the screen simultaneously with xm/mp3 playing? 3) If I disconnect the 550 from the bike, it has a lithium battery to power it. If I take it over & crash in the lawn chair with a beer...can I use it without having the antenna on the bike connected? I'm guessing I'll be able to see the last downloaded info but won't get current updates. Thanks for the help...JR
  3. Has anyone used the Garmin trip card for a Zumo 550 ? Opinions ? cb
  4. I have a question I hope somebody here can answer. Having just purchased a 2011 FJR, I plan to mount a Garmin 550 on an aftermarket helibar triple tree clamp. My question is: Is the Garmin Zumo 550 bluetooth feature capable to send (via bluetooth) to a bluetooth capable helmet headset? If not, will the audio out be sufficient to power a regular headset? I know the bluetooth works with making and receiving calls, just not sure about the MPG3 player? Thanks
  5. Hey all, I've managed to break the car mount for my Garmin Zumo 550. Darn thing lost suction on the windshield and fell on the dash breaking the input jack. I use it in the truck during the winter to listen to XM radio. I'm probably going to just buy a new one online, but thought I'd ask if anyone might want to sell theirs. This is what it looks like. http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/marinerfan/default/zumo-car-mount--gallery-msg-132621887928.jpg Bob
  6. I have a friend here in Perth looking for a fuel tank for a 1990 Kawasaki Zephyr 550......... Can anyone tell me the best places to look in the states?????
  7. :confused24:I recently update the map on my Zumo 550 and now it will not display streets. I zoom in and all I get is a blank screen. It does display major roads. It was working fine before the update. What did I do? What do I need to do to fix this?
  8. The main features I want are the navigation and the MP3 player. Is the 550 my best bet? I really don't think I will use features like loading in trips, etc.
  9. Got a question. What does the Zumo 550 use as a mount on the backside. The reason I ask is my look-a-like Streetpilot c550 snaps onto a 17mm ball, and I just got off the phone with RAM and they are telling me the Zumo mount bolts on?? And.... they don't have anything that will work with the STPilot. Even though when you go on their website for MC mounts,, and use their search engine, the mount they say to use on the MC says it's not recommended for MC use. I used to really like RAM mounts, but lately they are getting to be a joke....
  10. Anyone have one? What do you like about it? What don't you like? Issues? Did you switch from a 550 to 665? If so do you like the 550 or 665 better and why? Is the only difference between 660 and 665 is XM?
  11. Well, our zumo 550 has locked up....Beth used it last fall for deer widow's weekend, and had issues with it......we tried using it a couple of weeks ago and it was a no go...wouldn't "open" up.....I tried updating the maps today...and it wouldn't go past the initial page, something about saving trip data and the usb being hooked up....so I guess it goes back to Garmin for some TLC......it's been awesome up to this point, hopefully the repairs won't tear us up $$$ wise...and we should have it back before riding season, which is still 2-3 months away for us up this way, or thereabouts depending on Mother Nature. gunk:think:
  12. I am having a problem with my Zumo 550. My GPS works fine by itself but when I plug in my GXM 30 antenna it shuts of the unit within 3 sec. I have a friend near by who has a Zumo 550 also and when I place his in the cradle it works fine, music, traffic, and weather. I have updated the software on my GPS and been on the phone with Garmin. Now they are on "Vacation" and I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. It acts the same way on the car cradle and the motorcycle cradle. Any suggestion???
  13. What do I need to hook up xm radio to my Zumo 550? gunk:shock3:
  14. Santa Claus....is not too far away.....and I was wondering if I should maybe sell my 550 and replace it with a 665. The xm radio and lane indicators are really very attractive to me...but....is it worth the extra$$$? Maybe members who have owned/used both could give me some insight as to their thoughts on the good/bad/ugly between the two gps's? How much is the xm subscription? How is the reception out in the "boonies" Does the lane indicator work well? on a 6 lane freeway for instance...... Where did you install the xm antennae? Can you install it inside the fairing? What's my 2 year old 550 worth? Will the 550 cradle mount(Ram mount) work for the 665? Thanks for your insights..... gunk:mo money:
  15. With the Zumo 550. This one needs to be sent in for repair . Its 150 to fix it. Anybody wanting to get a deal on a Zumo 550 PM me. I'll sell this one for 150 and that includes shipping. Will send both mounts also. That will get you a Zumo 550 for 300. I'm beginning to see a need for a bigger screen and that's pretty much the decision maker for me.
  16. OK, I love my Zumo 550 but I just can not hear it. What am I doing wrong. I have it attached inside the faring just like the article explained. I have the volume on the Zumo set at 100% and I have the AUX volume set at 30 and I can bearly hear it at 50 MPH. As you all know I do not have loud pipes. It is no better wheather I use the Head phones or speakers. Do I have a bad unit or did my wife buy a $600 gift :mo money:that-- in my opinion--sucks--
  17. It has happened two or three times now. I'll just be riding along and look down at my Zumo 550 and notice the screen has locked up. I can't even turn the thing off when that happens. To fix the problem I must remove the unit from it's mount then remove the battery. Once the battery is reinstalled it works like new. WTH! Anyone experience this? What's the fix? or should I just get a 660?
  18. I want to design a route then load it to my Zumo 550 - problem is I can't find anything/information on how to do it. Help Please
  19. I know this is the wrong forum but i figured more people would see it and respond here about it. I am thinking about getting the Garman 550 and was wondering how much it cost, where is the best place to get one, is it or will it be outdated soon since they have the Garman 660 out, and where can i get the brackets that hold it? I think i would like for it to sit above the radio maybe? Also until i can get it hardwired in. does it come with a power cord that i can plug into my fairing and use it until i get it connected to the wiring harness? I'm not a tech guy and for some reason the GPS thing just seems complicated to me, with having to by the mounting brackets from another place, and which GPS to buy etc. I just know that i have heard alot of good things about the Zumo 550 and now i am seeing that the 660 is out by Garmen. Sorry for sounding like a Dummy, but i just need some help with this. Thanks.
  20. Well folks, I've had my Zumo 550 listed in the classifieds for a couple of weeks now. I think I've had one inquiry so unless somebody is interested within the next day or so, I'll be putting it on Ebay.
  21. Well, I've decided that I'm probably going to upgrade to the Zumo 665. I've put my 550 with XM receiver in the classifieds if anybody is interested. If so, please note that I will not be able to ship it until I get home on weekend of the 16th. If it hasn't sold by then, I'll probably put it on Ebay.
  22. I'm not sure what kind of prices you guys are paying for the Zumo 550 but GPScity has them for 583.70 after 100.00 rebate... sounds like a decent deal to me...
  23. The mornin of May 15 I am off work for 10 days and headin to Grand Canyon , Kanab , Zion and Kodak . I was raised in the area and the last time i was there in 1989 and on a cb 450 burned a piston in Ceder City UT. gave the bike away and hitched hiked back . this time i think no hitch hiking will be involved got a lot better bike ! the only bad thing i see is getting from here to hwy 180 in NM. BORING !! and i hate interstates , i need to buy a new GPS but can't afford a Zumo 550 , need to find to find a cheap one to plug in the cass player . got to pull the trailer out of storage , wash it , grease bearings and make sure the lites work . almost forgot ! download the VR asst. list ! with that , tools and new helmet I'll feel safe . :cool10:
  24. I had a Garmin 550 that I bought in 07. At Christmas I got a new 255W (I think that's the model) and I dpownloaded the new maps 2010.3. Can I use that update on the older 550 as well? Or will it somehow disable the older 550 unit? Thanks. Spotsy
  25. Updated my Zumo 550. After I downloaded the update to my computer I put it on the gps. I had to pick what areas I wanted. I picked the 48 states but that leaves quite a bit off. Is there any way I can increase my memory to carry all North America? The update had a pop up that said that with all the new stuff that was included there wasn't enough room for all the maps I used to have. ????