Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

Found 18 results

1. Hey everyone. New to the forums here and new to ventures. I picked up an 83' which had been sitting for probaly5+ years. I had it running last year but it was running really rough and chugging fuel like a frat boy chugs 4loco. So I ended up tearing the carbs apart and cleaning them. Got it back together and now the bike runs rough (though it starts a lot easier). I can tell she really wants to run but something is holding her back, I am guessing the timing. The tach jumps all over the place and sometimes just sits at zero while running. I have already remounted my TCI and found that the bosst sensor is bad (its putting out 6.3v at atmospheric pressure). Even with that unplugged it runs rough. I also get lots of backfires, mostly just little puffs from the #2 carb. I have also tested the fuses and coils which seem to be good. dash cluster works fine as well. I know all the timing is computer controlled which I hate, I almost exclusivly have owned 80's vechicles because of how easy they are to work with due to lack of computers. That said, for the few seconds at a time when the bike decides to run right I can understand why people love these bikes so much. Anyways, I go another boost sensor on the way and after reading some threads here got brave enough to cut open my TCI and think I found a few issues in it but could use some help as to what I should actually do with it (I do have honed soldering skills) Here are a few images of it. The bottom of the board looks good, that black wire I added in as the eched in wire looked like it was on it way out. As for the top of the board, I think it speaks for itself. Thanks in advance for the help and hope to be able to ride alongside some of the Pacifc North West members soon!
  2. I have a '97 RSTD, it normally runs great, but lately it had started to pop or backfire at higher RPM/Speed and I can't figure out what the problem is. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I have drained the tank and put in fresh gas and run a can of Sea Foam through it already.
  3. Took the Venture in for new set of sneakers today. Went back to Metzlers....888 this time. I had the 880s on the 86 and liked them. Avonns were good but flat center on the rear from highway riding made it difficult to do my stunt driving at low speed. All good there. Had the shop balance the carbs while it was there... it was there why not. Seems they have troubles with it as now I have continual popping sound and the big bang on deceleration. The air stuff was cap off long time ago so not that. Mechanic feels the O rings on the adjustment screws are dried out and should be replaced. I am going to order an Ivan's kit to be installed but not sure about the O rings if they will be in the kit. It was funny seeing the shop opening up VR.org to check carb sync info. Open for discussion.
  4. 05 venture with 56k has backfire when letting off the gas, any help?
  5. I recently bought a 2000 RSV Millennium. It had Bub slip ons that sound really good, but too loud. I couldn't hear the stereo. So, I purchased a set of stock mufflers on ebay and slipped them on. Now, I have a backfire (sometimes very LOUD) on deceleration, just as the engine reaches idle. I have greatly reduced the frequency of this backfire by raising the idle. However, it still backfires occasionally, and I really don't like the higher idle. (I'm guessing 1200-1300 as opposed to 950 or 1000, hard to tell without a tach.) I'm thinking I could adjust this backfire out. First by getting someone to follow me and see which side the backfire is on and then by adjusting the pilot screws in the carbs on the offending side. I'm just wondering...Can the Pilot screws be reached without removing the tank? Thanks. dana
  6. So i just checked the vaccum caps on carbs as advised due to backfire on decel. Just as was mentioned they were both cracked badly so i replaced. Will there be any performance differences since the leak is fixed? Will it impact mpg? I guess other than the backfire on decel what other issues does the leak effect? Thanks for all the good info! What a great site. Larry
  7. I put in new spark plugs ... NGK double checked the gap at .035 ... and now that they are in i have a slight backfire when coming off the throttle ... anyone have any ideas? I can take them all out and check them again but I was very CAREFUL when putting them in so as not to bump them and ruin the gap.
  8. OK so I got the ventrue 1200 standard on the road, Legally now. I ended up putting a set of Dunlop 404s on it...everything else was OK for the safety check. Could someone tell me again what pressure I should be running on the front and rear (no class)...and in the tires. I'm about 210 lbs. Its got a bad backfire. Only when I gear down agressively or if I really rev it up and back off in a lower gear. It backfires almost every time about 4200 rpm. If I let the revs down gently, no backfire! but there is still some popping going on. There is a minor leak in the exhaust...just enough to give it a bit of a throaty sound...not bad at all (I don't like loud bikes unless it's a high performance rocket sled) I put a 1/2 can of Seafoam into it but it hasn't made any difference so far.I've only ridden about 1 1/2 hr since I put it in. I've tried to keep the revs up and did lots of hard accelleration to give it a good chance at cleaning everything out. So where do I look for causes?
  9. My bike is a 1992 Venture Royale. I had thought my TCI is bad, still might be, but I am stumped on what is going on with this bike now. This is an intermittent problem... sometimes the bike works just fine. I have spark at all 4 plugs when initially cranking, maybe for 1-2 cycles and then no spark to any of them. The bike will crank over once , sound like it wants to fire and then nothing else.... If I try long enough I get a really loud backfire. The spark seems like it might be a bit weak also. I'm googling and searching the forum and purusing the manual, but not sure what to check for since it has spark on the initial revolution. Could this be a pickup coil problem.?
  10. Just got the new bike back from deal after 600 mile service. It seems to have a back fire when deceleration. He said it was set lean from factory and he adjusted. Am I wrong or does this bike not tend to backfire when it is running lean. If he set it richer should that take care of the back fire
  11. 83 venture, finally have all cylinders firing. Runs very good. As in previous thread, I am concerned I may have reamed out 'pilot air jet' in carbs 2 and 4. They were plugged and I run .020" stainless lock wire thru jets. When compared to good jets, .020 was too large to pass thru. Now I have serious "M2 .50 cal gun blast" out right side, only during engine braking/down shifting, as tach comes down below 3000rpm. Scared the s**t out of me, every time! If I pull clutch then brake to slow, no backfire to matter how hard I close throttle. I have read most backfire air leak in exhaust, but I can't detect one. What is the effect of my 'reamed out' pilot air jets? I also have what sounds like air leak on intake side. Kind of 'chugging sound' at idle, hardly noticable at normal cruise, pretty loud during loading like hill climbing. I suspect maybe aircleaner boot loose and air bypassing aircleaner, but could be below carbs I guess. Haven't had time to check yet. Any idea's before I get started? I'm thinking I have a carb too rich, and engine braking with throttle partially closed causes to much fuel to be pulled thru, unburnt, into exhaust. Maybe due to pilot air jet?(not sure what this REALLY does) Also thinking only idle circuit too rich as backfire only on closed throttle when main fuel circuit is closed.----Any of this make sense, or am I way off base trying to over analyzing it!
  12. Ok folks. My '04 RSV has a bad decel backfire. Just changed collectors on both sides without fixing it. Also had AIS removed by Snarly Bill. Took it to the shop to look over, they said they didn't find anything to cause it. No exhaust leak (they say) only offered carb sync as a possible solution. Going to maint day so will have that taken care of then. The caps on the carbs look ok far as I can tell. Those who know me, know I am almost the most non-mechanical person here. Looked at all the other threads for backfire too. So anyone bold enough too step up at maint day and see if they can cure the beast? Or at least give me new ideas. Other than the explosive backfire, she runs great, gets excellent mileage, but does occasionally have a gas odor. This makes me think It's getting too much in there and blowing up on decel. But again, I really have no clue and don't want to mess with the carbs by myself. The challenge is out there! See you at Don's!
  13. Greetings... 89VR Just synced the carbs (using my $3.50 homemade mamometer) this morning. Starts very easily. Idles perfectly like a bumblebee at just under 1000. Accelerates wonderfully (after the chuffing stops anyway). Sounds like it's in the airbox - and not in the mufflers. In fact - all in all - other than this annoying low rpm backfiring - it runs perfectly... It only happens in first gear, usually on a slight hill. It will not happen if I open the throttle very very slowly and ease it up to over 1800 rpm, at which point I can rocket it if I want. But If I try to beat the next light - It will POP POP POP until it reaches about 1800 - 2500 or so... I'm thinking it might just be bad gas - as I did fill up last night, and did the sync this morning, and it's been happening all day. But anyway - I'm really wondering just exactly what causes backfire on ACCELERATION - it does NOT backfire at all on decel... Timing? But If it were timing, I would think I would have other problems too... I plan to switch out the plugs tomorrow morning, and possibly all the filters too if I can find the cash. So maybe all the running around town will let me get a new tank of fuel from another source in and see if that's all it is... And yes - she's already guzzled 2 cans of seafoam in the last few months - Fwew! The Price of that stuff has doubled in the last year!!
  14. I changed my own oil for the first time yesterday, and today I have a backfire on the right pipe during deceleration. More, it has a surging kinda sound in the idle. It's a subtle hiccup every so often that wasn't there before. Is there something I could have done during the oil change to cause this? If I take it to the dealer, can I claim warranty service? Or, should I wait for the Maintenance Day on March 15? Edit: I was looking at photos after posting this, and saw that when I first started the bike, the right pipe has "smoke" while the left does not. Is this a clue? (Large photo here: Two exhaust pipes, but one exhaust? on Flickr - Photo Sharing!) http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3412/3207785037_816f114801.jpg
  15. Hi all. I have a 2007 Venture and wanted to ask a question: I've had the carbs synced 2 times in 9,000 miles. Both times they were synced, I start getting a backfire out of the right side exhaust when decelerating (in gear). Never the left side, always the right. The bike hasn't backfired since I ran a bottle of Seafoam in it earlier this summer. Had my 8,000 mile service done today. On the way home, it's backfiring again! What are your thoughts? It's not bad, but I prefer it not to backfire. I had the dealer service dept. look for an exhaust leak the last time. I've tried to find one as well, but there just doesn't appear to be a leak. Is this something any of you have experienced? Thanks....
  16. I've just started to notice a backfire when I downshift hard. I haven't done anything to the carbs so I thought it mights have something to do with that. Can this generally be fixed by syncing?
  17. Since This Is My First V Four Need To Ask Some Dumb Questions. Is It Common For The Venture To Have An Occasional Backfire. Always On The Right Cylinder Bank. Usually Only Until It Warms Up. Sometimes A Backfire When Cranking. Sometimes Slight Backfire On Decel At Low Speeds. 2500 Miles On Engine. Installed New Plugs Since Carb Float Has Stuck One Time. Thanks For Any Info.
  18. I have a 2006 RSTD all I have changed on it is the air filters to (K&N) and I put a set of road king exhaust on it I like the way it sounds now. But when I throttle down to change gears I get a loud Pop most of the time but not always. Now I have read that with these changes I do not need to modify the carbs but why am I getting the backfire? Thanks for the help. PRNTTEK