Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'clutch upgrade'.

• Search By Tags

Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

Found 1 result

1. Been cold lately and I am a panty-waist wuss and don’t like to ride if it is less than 45 so I decided to upgrade the clutch using the @skydoc_17 kit that contains a .070” diaphragm spring, a gasket, and a full friction disk. I ordered the kit on 3-7-15 and it arrived here on 3-11-15 whereupon I dumped the new friction disk in T6 oil to soak till I could get around to working on the bike. Thank you very much @skydoc_17 for the prompt service. I installed the kit on Friday night 3-13-15 with 5952 miles on the bike. I did not have any slipping clutch problems with the factory clutch, but, I expect in the future to be pulling a trailer and I am certainly not losing any weight myself any time soon. Just wanted to head off any problems before they started. I unthreaded the factory wire on the half disk so, maybe, it can be reused in the future. I removed the factory half-friction disk, the factory Belleville washer, the factory flat washer, and the factory .060” diaphragm spring and replaced them with the components in the @skydoc_17 kit that contained; a new full friction disk, and a .070” diaphragm spring. While the basket was empty, I rotated the Clutch Boss containing the “dot” for the pressure plate to align with the “dot-dot” on the primary drive just for convenience during reassembly. Friction plates went in “hole-hole” up and pressure plate went on “dot” up. I was just lucky the primary was already in this position when I opened the cover. OH, NOW I UNDERSTAND: With the factory setup, the clutch lever would feather the clutch at about half-way pull. This is because from the factory the clutch pak was a “variable depth” setup in that once the pressure plate started to lift off the clutch pak, the Belleville washer would push the last steel disk a few thousands of an inch towards the pressure plate, maintaining semi-clutch-engagement, until the steel disk either reached full travel of the Belleville washer or the steel disk hit the wire. Once that travel was reached, …then… full disengagement started to occur, which allowed feathering the clutch at about the halfway point in lever travel, and gave about 3/4” of lever travel in the feathering range. With the @skydoc_17 kit that replaces the half-friction disk, the flat washer, and the Belleville washer with a full friction disk the clutch pak is no longer “variable depth” and the clutch lever only has a feathering range of about ¼” and full engagement is achieved with the lever approaching the very end …say the last ¾”… of its travel in its normal position away from the handlebar. The clutch lever travel took a little getting used to. It was like I was riding somebody else’s bike. I did not notice much, if any, greater lever pull in strength needed to pull the lever in, versus the factory setup. In other words, the strength needed to pull the lever in, seemed the same as when I was using the factory diaphragm spring. During my test ride, I was abusive with the clutch. Many times at 80MPH I would tap the lever to feather the clutch, or hold it partially disengaged for a one-count (which really built up some revs since I was already doing about 4K rpms) and the clutch always resumed its grab as soon as I let go of the lever. I also scared myself by dumping the clutch in 1st from a slow roll, with a good handful of throttle, and I swear the front end came off the ground. I recommend the @skydoc_17 Clutch Upgrade Kit to anybody that wants a stronger, more bullet proof clutch. It should prove especially effective when the bike is fully loaded (2up with luggage) and pulling a trailer. Mileage Work Started Empty Basket with "Dot-Dot" on primary in UP position and "Dot" on clutch boss in UP position Old Parts Saved For Possible Reuse.