Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. Well, I finally pulled the trigger on rebuilding my '83. It is in ok condition, but I think I paid too much for someone's put-back-together parts bike. It is a Royale, but someone removed all the Royale stuff (Class, radio, CB, etc) and hacked all the wires/connectors for them. Plus a lot of the plastic is cracked, missing tabs, randomly screwed together and zip-tied. It needs a lot of attention, and for a short moment I considered just trading it off and looking for a better bike. But I figured whoever got it would probably just part it off and one less 1st gen would be on the road. So here goes my tear-down and rebuild of my 1983 Venture Custom. It's going to be the way I want it. Starting off, here are a few pics of it in late 2010 (pre-crash) http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/icebrrg3rd/Stripped%20Venture/2010_Closeup02.jpg http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/icebrrg3rd/Stripped%20Venture/2010_Closeup01.jpg And here is what it looks like now: http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/icebrrg3rd/Stripped%20Venture/2012_NakedBike01.jpg http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/icebrrg3rd/Stripped%20Venture/2012_NakedBike02.jpg And all the plastic: http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/icebrrg3rd/Stripped%20Venture/2012_NakedBike03.jpg Now let the fun begin... -Andrew p.s. if the pics are too big or posted wrong, let me know and I'll fit it. Same if I should post it in another catagory.
  2. I've removed my fairing on my 2006 RSV for painting, as it has a few scratches on it. I need to get the 2 small pieces of trim off. Do they simply pry off? As they're only plastic I'm afraid I might break them if I don't do it right. Thanks in advance......
  3. maybe this isnt new, but i see so many great looking paint jobs on this site, but the black plastic still looks like 25 year old, sun beat, black plastic! ive been riding mine and i look at the dash and think, yuck! so i got a hair up my butt and squirted this on it and WOW, looks like brand new 25 year old plastic.says its made for plastic, rubber, wood, leather, i was careful not to hit the controls (slippery) but didnt mask off anything, just wiped her down after. didnt take much and NO prep. Teflon is carcinogenic (so is used motor oil) so take caution. it worked well on the other plastic, including the wind screen, time will tell if any bad side effects but for now, im real happy with the outcome!!!
  4. Ever hear of Bondit, looks promising for plastic repairs that we are always needing. https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/bondic-6d378346-198d-4326-880b-45ebe26c3242/bondic-super-bundle
  5. I have recently done away with the glass fuse holder in favor of the ATC fuse block from Littlefuse (part# 350417BP). I picked up my block from O'Reilly Auto Parts but they are available from other sources. I decided to just replace the block, making the least amount of change to stock as possible. Installing the block is pretty straight forward. I just clipped the wires off the old terminals and then soldered them in place on the new block finishing out with heat shrink over the exposed terminal ends and then an application of liquid tape for further protection. I also cut the accessory terminal block from the original holder so that I could continue to use the stock setup. In a departure from other installations, to keep everthing in place and sercure the terminal block, I fabricated a plastic strip from ABS, perfectly forming it to the block with the cover on. Using ABS cement I attached the terminal block to the strip. I used a plastic welder to heat the ABS where the plastic needed to be bent and formed it over a block of wood, holding it place until it cooled sufficiently to retain it's shape. The strip fits into the original front slot in the stock mount and secures with the stock screw in the rear holding everything in place tightly. There are no clearance issues with the false tank cover and it slipped right into place.
  6. The sight glass on my front brake cylinder burst, I caught it all, and super glued the sight glass (it does not drip. Remotely sight usable) But, it seems despite that, the lower half of the plastic on the terminal panel that holds the CLASS, and the CB is severely gone now, the "seat" for it all is still fine. (And, gone as in. The CB bounces >.>) Anyone have that panel? http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp #45 here
  7. is there a picture showing where the ground wire is for the R/R ? I have the gas tank off, and I understand its on the right side of the bike near he neck. do I have to remove the other plastic plate, wrapped around the ignition? Just checking, for a lose ground
  8. This morning I was in the middle of replacing my clutch bearing on my 86 engine in my 83 Venture. I took the entire clutch basket out, which is a very good thing. On the very back of the clutch basket there is a gear, it drives a plastic gear on a keyed shaft going through the case. a screw had broken that holds the retaining piece for the shaft, so it was floating. On the other side of the case, where there is a gear on the other end of the shaft, that gear meshes with a plastic gear that drives the oil pump. that plastic gear was stripped. So my engines been running without oil supply probably for 150 miles this week. crap, crap, crap. I need an engine, a different bike, a new bike, ...no money. crap, crap, crap. Doug
  9. Anyone have 2 of those small plastic caps that goes over the allen head screws that holds the right Fairing Cover onto the Faring.
  10. Before I send them to the garbage, Are there any good reason to hang onto plastic that are broken, with chunks torn off, way beyond reasonable repair. As spare for my 89 VR of similar color.
  11. what is the best product to fix cracked plastic parts on a 1st gen
  12. I just pick up a plastic welder from HF. does anyone have experience with this welder? I have some hairline cracks on my boxes and a couple small cracks on my fairing that i want to try to repair before i have my bike painted. Here is the welder i picked up. http://www.harborfreight.com/plastic-welding-kit-with-air-motor-and-temperature-adjustment-96712.html
  13. This warning about Locktite is posted here periodically, but since I just worked on a bike today with massive ABS plastic damage due to stupid Locktite use, I thought I'd start it again. The bottom line is that Locktite is known to damage many plastics, and ABS is one of them. We often caution people to never use Locktite on any screw that goes into plastic, but the problem is much worse than that. NEVER use it on anything that is even near ABS plastic! Every once in a while someone gets a bit uppity about these warnings and tries to say it is BS if a screw/bolt is going into metal, but I will give you first hand information about how much damage can be done by ignoring this warning. Had a guy come by today with 2nd gen trunk where all of the mounting points inside the lower trunk for the latching mechanism had busted loose. This just does not happen on this bike, so I was puzzled by why it had happened to him. The initial examination looked like maybe the plastic was defective from the factory. I have 100,000 miles on my RSV, most of which have been with the trunk over-full, and I have never had any problem, so why did his all break? Well, it became obvious while we were fixing it. Turned out that the plastic all around the latch mounting points had just disintegrated - no clean breaks at all, just crumbling plastic. And when I was removing the mounting bolts, I was struck by how tightly they were frozen into to the tinnerman nuts that fit over the plastic mounting tabs. These bolts should easily unscrew, but not his. Closer inspection showed that some poorly informed person had used Locktite on each of these bolts. Although these bolts do not directly screw into the ABS plastic, the tinnerman nuts clip over the plastic tabs so the bolts fit through a hole in the plastic, and the Locktite fumes damaged all of the plastic around the bolts. So the standard warning remains as strong as ever - NEVER use Locktite anywhere near ABS plastic! Goose
  14. 20 hours to tentative departure (minus time to post this) for 3 week east coast trip and I find a missing piece of plastic and cracked plastic around backrest to trunk connection last night. I've read of this problem somewhere, should have payed closer attention to these threads. Get right to it, looking for any advice next 12 hours for temp fix to get thru trip & NYRally. Materials I've picked up : A pint of 2 part Dominion Plastic repair Rigid Flex Bonder, JB Weld putty stick, PF230 pinch&bond weld primer, 14 gauge sheet metal. Plan is to cut 2 pieces sheet metal, one for the missing piece and a large one to replace the existing metal plate and cover the entire cracked area from the inside. I've worked on small areas prior with the Dominion plastic. Not to sure about the long term affects on plastic using the PF250, so might drop that step. Any suggestions welcome (1st gen one liners:no-no-no:) Off to cut up some sheet metal... Will check back periodically. thanks Max
  15. The other day I was cleaning my bike and noticed a deep scratch on the rear of my trunk. looks like somebody may have keyed the bike. I am sure if I backed into something hard enough to make that scratch I would have noticed. How would you fix a deep scratch in the plastic. this is on a 2007 Midnight Venture. scratch appears to be light grey so assume the trunk is really grey plastic painted black. if it is black paint it will be hard to match. Al
  16. The 4-wheeler I bought a few weeks ago has some light scratches on it. A few of the worse ones you can feel with a fingernail but most are lighter. What can I buff these out with? I know the plastic is different from our bikes. This thing is in such great shape i would like to make it look like new. It is a Honda Ricon if that makes any difference. I know zilch about them. Question is what to use???
  17. I figured since many of you have been helping me with this bike, it's only fitting that I show you the progress so far. When I bought her last month she was running strong. The major thing was cosmetics. This is how I picked her up. She needed some repairs but a lot of cleaning and plastic work. One of the first things I did was buy a new seat. I found this one on EBay for $50. The original seat had a rip by the gas fill & was covered with stick junk. I've since read this is protectant breaking down & quite common. I understand that when the original owner died & the bike sat for years. A major part of my work so far has been tearing her down & cleaning, scrubbing & polishing. When I took her apart, you could not imagine the amount of dirt I found. The next thing I did was slap a trunk on her. When I bought my 81 Honda CB750, she came with K&G hard saddlebags & an aftermarket trunk. Since I pulled all the bags from the Honda, I decided to recycle the trunk. This is how it sits right now. I'm going to start the plastic welding on the fairing and other ABS parts. I will make videos of the repairs & post them so that anyone else looking to try their hand at plastic welding has at least a heads up to what to expect.
  18. I have a really sweet 89 Venture now, and I feel a little strange for owning 3 at a time, so I want a v-max. The Drag car of the bike world. Anyone have any leads. Cash is short right now, so i would really prefere a trade. I made a really nice, running 83 out of the two i have. The one just needs a rear master cylinder. The other one needs the carbs put together and both will run just fine. I have the fairings and all other plastic torn off the the one that doesnt currently run. The one that does run has like 28 thousand miles, and the one that doesnt have 58k. The one with 58k ran until i tore it apart for carb parts.
  19. My speedo and rpm gauge lenses are hazy and there is a crack in the rpm gauge. Is there a way to replace the clear plastic lenses without replacing the whole gauge unit?
  20. The black plastic on my bike has white splotches on it. See picture. I have tried various cleaners, rubbing compounds, and polish to get it off but nothing has touched it. Is this normal for the aging material and other than paint, is there a way to get it black again? Ray
  21. Pulling the tank tomorrow to replace the air filter and possibly attach new horns. I've chucked the plastic clamshells they came in but they are I believe Wolo Blasters(?) Hi and Lo note. [ATTACH]66345[/ATTACH] I don't like the area the old one came from. To "hey notice the blk plastic chunk" for me. [ATTACH]66346[/ATTACH] While I've got the tank off I'm going to check out behind the plastic cover. [ATTACH]66347[/ATTACH] Can anyone give me a heads up what is under there and if there would be space for two of these horns? I'm thinking of hitting Radio Shack and getting some black metal outdoor speaker mesh and cutting rectangular holes so I can aim them outward. One on each side. Something along the lines of this....(I will accept compliments on my ninja MS Paint skills, but don't feel like you HAVE to. ) [ATTACH]66348[/ATTACH]
  22. So I installed 1.5" riser on the handle bars today. All the lines look like there is plenty of play in them. I was not able to re install the rubber mounts for the fairing. Have to think about that for a while before I modify them. Any suggestions are appreciated. The one other problem I found is the mounts now hit the plastic cover on the gas tank by the key. They don't touch the ignition but do move the plastic. I am looking for another one that I can modify. Preferably in Black but any color will do. if anyone has an extra they are willing to part with please let me know. Thanks much
  23. I have some minor scratches on my helmet visor that I'd like to try to polish out. Does anybody know what might work? I'd like to try before I buy a replacement, so I wanna keep it cheap. Seems I remember hearing somebody say they used toothpaste on hard plastic, but I'm a little afraid it would be too abrasive and leave it scratched worse. Any thoughts? Thanks. Bert
  24. I spent yesterday cleaning the bike it had about an inch of dust and tree sap so I washed it and got out the rubbing compound with plastic polish for the windshield. I took inventory on what it needs, what I like about this bike is that it was produced for so long I can order the plastic parts for it. I still have a lot to do to it but it runs great. This thing will flat outrun my 86 VR and my other 86 I had and my 84VR I can't believe the power difference between an inline 4 and a v4.