Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

Found 25 results

1. I ran across THIS last night. What do you all think?
  2. Can I get rid of it? I want to remove the breather tube that goes from the crankcase to the intake. Can I remove it and put something in its place like a filter or something? Even with perfect oil level it makes my intake box oily.
  3. Like some of you might now I was looking into buying some Second Gen carbs that were listed on eBay by Pinwall Cycles. Well I got them for 304 US$ with shipping in USA and am one happy guy. They are already on their way to Earl Harell (skydoc_1). Then Earl sent me a mail Saturday morning and told me he had found some V-Max cams for my bike and was on his way over to Harrisburg to have a look at them. These cams are from a 1989 Vmax and only have 80 miles on them!!! Thats right, only 80 miles! The guy who had them rebuilt the motor, ran it 80 miles, sold the block and heads and had the cams left over.To cut a long story short Earl got all four of them for 200 US$ and now in general we only have the following things missing before we start the project: - (2) Intake boots - Yamaha part number 4XY-13586-10-00 - (2) Intake boots - Yamaha part number 4XY-13596-10-00 -(4) Intake boot clamps - Yamaha part number 4XY-13575-00-00 -(4) airbox boots - Yamaha part number 4XY-14453-00-00 -(4) airbox boot clamps - Yamaha part number 90460-58015-00 - (16) Spring valve inner - Yamaha part number 36Y-12113-00-00 -(16) Spring valve outer - Yamaha part number 36Y-12114-00-00 -(4) fabricated adapter plates (Good old Earl-skydoc_1)) and the Dyna ignition module as well as bolts washersh and stuff. So, if any of you guys and girls have any of the above sitting in your garage and would be willing to part with them then I would surely be interested in buying. I´ll keep you posted as things move along. Friendly regards from Iceland / Norway. Jonas http://www.yamahaofwarren.com/common/images/blank.gif
  4. My 87VR always had carburation problems ever since I acquired her used at 40k miles. The last mechanic that worked on it before I gave up on other techs, and took over the full responsibility of being the only one to work on it told me that the intakes that were on the bike when i got it were the wrong intake manifolds. He said the ones on the bike were vmax manifolds that had a crossover port that the 87 xvz1300 did not have. He explained that the extra ports were sucking air that affected the air intake with the gas mixture to intake port causing the gas/air mixture feed to the spark plugs to be wrong. The end result was that the fuel burn was rich and the bike didn't idle properly and the fuel burn in the cylinder was not efficient causing poor ignition at the spark plug. It sounded reasonable to me so i gave him the OK to order the right intake manifolds. It ran a little better for a while but the same poor performance quickly returned. Then the bike died altogether. Note: The next few paragraphs are background describing my mental reference at the time If you not interested in my thought process and want to skip to the point scroll down to the paragraph heading "The Point". It was at that point that I started believing that i was the proud owner of a dinosaur too old for reliable professional service and abandoned by Yamaha since a lot of the parts i needed were no longer available. And the parts that were available were so cost prohibitive that I couldn't justify the expenditure needed to keep her alive. I was almost ready to part her out. In fact the Yamaha dealers wouldn't even talk to me about working on it since it was more than ten years old. Evidently Yamaha in their marketing strategy has decided to only stand behind their product for no longer than ten years. As much as that pisses me off I guess I can understand that they have to cater to the new money and twenty year old + bikes are past history, from their corporate point of view. But as a builder and contractor that has made my living built on my reputation of providing quality work and a man of character that stands behind his product, engineering, service and workmanship no matter how longs it been, I felt deserted and violated. So anyway I had a decision to make. Do I give up on her, Part her out and and commit her usable organs to Ebay. Or do I stand by the old girl and fight for her life even though she was on Life support and could possible already be dead. I started looking at new Goldwings, BMW 1200's, Victory Visions. The ride on the Goldwings somehow felt like a park bench, the BMW's had a nice ride but the saddle didn't fit my crouch, the vision took my breath the first time I saw it. As I was considering it as a option the reoccurring thought that popped into my mind was about if George Jetson rode a motorcycle it would be the Victory Vision. I was weighing out my options when I investigated ebay for the first time as marketing research to test the market for used 87 Venture Royal parts. My plan at that time was to generate the down payment on a new bike by parting out my 87VR. To my amazement I found out that ebay offered what Yamaha no longer did and what I needed could be won realitively cheaply on the internet ebay auction. The first Auction I won on ebay was a set of Carbs from Sean Hess (Hessforless ebay seller & member of VentureRiders.org) which I was sure was the root of my bike problems. During that transaction I talked to Sean on the phone and he told me about Venturerider.org God Bless you Sean. Well I BELIEVE THAT LIFE IS ABOUT TRIAL AND ERROR. Thomas Eidison was once asked about his failures in testing 300 and something different materials to use as the filament for the light bulb before he discovered that carbon tungsten worked. His response was, "None of those test were failures, in fact I succeed in all of those test by discovering what did not work". Dragonslayer philosopy: Failures are learning experiences you can profit by. Am I rambling? The carbs didn't fix the problem so I timidly entered a tech thread that seemed to be related to the problems that I was experiencing and asked for help as a newby to VR.org. GeorgeS (my VR.org hero) responded offering his assistance. Typical of what I have since discovered is the nature of this club and it's members he selflessly committed his considerable time addressing and walking me through troubleshooting and fixing my bike. God Bless you GeorgeS, God Bless you VR.org each of you one and all. With his help and others we breathed new life into her. With all of that said I'll get to the point. She ran better than she ever did. Well enough for me to feel good enough about her to break her down for a new paint job and going over which I completed just in time to make the Clay18 Bike presentation. Which was the first time I had met any of ya'll in person. Muffinman stepped up at that event to offer to sync my carbs in the parking lot. An offer I deeply appreciated and humbly accepted. Even though I felt that I had managed to get the sync fairly close judging by her improved performance. I was floored to discover from muffinmans carb sync that the intakes were still sucking outside air and as Muffinman explained it, meant that the current efficiency was equivalent of operating on 2 1/2 carbs instead of four. Evidently I still had some work to do. I limped thru last summer diagnosing low compression problems on one cylinder, chasing Ohm demons through the electrical and electronic systems then finally starter clutch failure on top of the never resolved carb problems. So I committed to another ground up going over including a new to me, used 9000mile 1990 model engine. During that process i won a ebay auction for a November 1986 issue of Cycle Magazine which evaluated the 1987xvz1300 Venture Royal with technical changes from 1986 to 1987. The Point One of the technical points the article mentioned was larger carb bores from the 34 mm mikunis to 35 mm mikunis in 1987. And I quote, "These measurements come from the carb's mouths- at the venturis, the jump is even bigger: 30.3mm in 85, 31.6mm in 86. To even out the mixture, both pilot and main jets grow larger this year yet fuel consumption remains remarkably close to the numbers from our last test unit." When I first read that information it didn't mean anything to me. During the history of my ownership and the foregoing background dialog I have ended up with three different sets of intake manifolds. All of which look exactly the same visually. But on the work bench they got mixed up. Then as I was preping carbs to mount on new motor I noticed that some seemed to fit tighter on carb mouths than others.:lightbulb:I Got out the ruler and guess what? There is a measurable difference in the opening (Where carb throat inserts in intake boot.) size between the three different sets of Intake manifolds/boots. is it possible that my problem all along was that the intake manifolds were not the same year as the carbs therefore the clamps did not fully constrict the boots around the carb throats and therefore not completely sealing or preventing air being sucked through that incomplete seal. I have no clue what year carbs I bought off ebay nor do I know what year each set of intake boots are. I figure that I will us the tightest fitting set to mount to this new (to me)1990 motor. Then the next question occurred to me that I would welcome some input on... I wonder how many internal carb changes might have occurred between whatever year carbs I have and the 1990 motor I'm getting ready to mount them to and to what degree will those changes adversely effect the performance of the 1990 motor potential performance. These carbs just got brand new diaphragms and fuel enrichment/air cut off diaphragms if I'm gonna need to change jets to match 1990 engine I rather do it now while they're on the bench instead of putting it all back together and having to do it later.
  5. I recently purchased a valve shim tool on flea bay, and when it arrived it has the original Yammie part number engraved on it. When I purchased it, I knew that I had 1 intake valve that was slightly tight, so today I dug in. Now, I've changed shims before, but I've never used the correct tool. I figured that using it would be straighforward....that didn't work though. I looked in the online manual and found the proceedure. Heck, I even printed the 2 pages and took them out to the garage. I can get it to push the valve down some, but not enough to get the shim out of the bucket. The shim is loose and will come up some, but not enough to come out. The tool is hitting part of the head casting when it gets about 30 degrees past straight up and it's pushing on the bucket, not the shim. Does it matter which way you use the tool? What I mean is that you can use it on the outside of the V (in my case, towards the carb for an intake valve OR with the tool in the inside, or forward of the camshaft. It's to the point the maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe the tool isn't made correctly. Frank D.
  6. Has anyone in the last couple of years purchased a set of Chrome Intake Air Vent for an MKII on ebay? If so could you tell me what you paid for them. I need some reasonable price comparions for an insurance claim.
  7. The previous owner had the carbs were synced by Muffinman last summer. She runs great but I feel she is eating too much gas. Does anyone have a write up of what I would need to do & what I would need to have on hand (equipment wise) other than a screwdriver to decrease the feul intake? Would the carbs need to be synced again if I do?
  8. I've finally got around to installing a Stebel horn...and have a question about the air intake. I understand the logic behind installing the hose to provide "clean/clear" air to to the compressor. Since I've mounted the horn in the factory default horn location using Carbon_Ones mounting bracket, and the air intake clips into the horn is downward facing, couldn't I cut a small piece of a "horse hair" AC filter and insert that into the air intake opening, thereby eliminating the black plastic fitting and the unsightly hose option??? Seems like that would be an easy solution? Thoughts?
  9. was install the wind deflectors in the crash bars... So far have replaced the right crash bar (almost) and replaced the broken tabs on the right lower fairing. But then I found an intake leak behind the right air filter, and the drain tube not connected to the rear of the right air box. Well there is no dirt or oil in the intake piping now... Maybe I'll have the wind deflectors on by kbran's MD
  10. Quick Question. My rtsc has little rubber caps plugging the intake nipples. My buddies 99 rsv has a tube connecting left intakes together and right intakes together. I thought that would cause a vacuum problem but before I go changing it I wanted to know if any one knows how it should be?
  11. Under the front left carb the "rubber" "intake manifold" seems to have a crack. This looks like it will be a very ugly switch. I have looked in the online manuals and parts fieshs I could find and it seems this part is not pictured. So what is it called and how do I get knew ones.... should I change all 4 if I am going to take all of it apart or is it repairable?
  12. I know I can purchase a billet cover for the ugly Air Intake, but I thin I saw someone use 5 inch car air intake before. I have looked and cant find. Or maybe somthing diffrent to get rid of that ugly black box.
  13. Read all the stuff on valves have the manual, looked at doing it myself. I am pretty good wrench but! Just pick it up from the dealer 3.5 hrs @ 85 bucks shims included if need. Talked with mechanic only 1 intake tight. He said it took better part of a day to do. Money well spent! $297.50 96 royal star boulevard Kregg
  14. I just bought a 1984 venture Royale 1200 that runs perfect but has leaky carbs. Before I tear into them, I was wondering what would be considered the best bvang for the buck on the intake and exhaust. Nothing like asking those with a background. I found several threads but not about both together. I have heard about a k&N filter, multiple pods with airbox removal, and tons of ideas on the exhaust and the carb jetting. I guess I'd like to just get it all broken down to the ins and outs of things!
  15. Reading another post gives me an Idea. Just for FUN Make up a modification for your bike, and tell what it did for you' example, I made a new intake, and no get 397 miles to the gallon. Use Your imagination, and try to out do the pervious post. Gregg
  16. Just wanted everyone to know I will be part of the VR family for years to come! Can't bring myself to sell my bike, and thanks to everyone here who didn't buy my bike, i'll be able to keep her. I was considering a sale due to possible cuts at the hospital, but hasn't happened yet (started trying to sell in july) and it doesn't matter if it does in the future cause we can cross that bridge when we get there. Took it out for a ride last saturday and it left me stranded at wal-mart, paybacks for not keeping it on the battery tender and not riding it for 2 months. Also noticed that left rear intake boot on carb is leaking fuel. But strangely enough I dont feel frustration or a strong sense of trying to off this thing. Instead I am thinking about sinking some more money into it and liking it!!!!! I think I have just reached that LIFER STATUS:confused24: I love this bike....no turning back for me! Big Mike p.s. Can't wait for Dons next maintenance day!
  17. I am new to the Venture and need some help on maintenance. Can anyone tell me if there would be a problem with putting a 1992 v-max intake manifold and carberator on my 1987 Venture?
  18. Does anyone have a front AIS intake filter for a 2000 Yamaha RSV that you don't want anymore? lobo17
  19. Does anyone have a front AIS intake filter for a 2000 Yamaha RSV that you don't want anymore? lobo17
  20. Decided to check my Carb Sync today, was getting set up, and warming up the engine. What do I hear ? the sucking sound from #1 Carb. Pretty loud. So, 3 hours of work, pulling out the intake manifold, and replaceing. Oh well, runs good now. OH, It did NOT RAIN, in Seattle today !!! Sunshine, and about 65 deg F. FINALLY!! Some hint of Global Warming !!! Hmmm,,, might go rideing tomorrow.
  21. Showing "Ugly" to son. Been having E2 coming up on Class and it wouldn't pump up. Compressor would kick on run for few seconds and kick off. He was looking at bike and asked "Is this supposed to be hooked to something" and pick up end of compressor intake hose that sticks out from under side of seat. He said" It's got something in it" MUD!!Mud Duabbers strike again. Plugged the intake. Took hose off cleaned it out and works like a new one. I had been in there looking for maybe a leak but never thought of that. How long would I have looked??? Never thought it wasn't getting air. Heard some remark about "Motorcycle Mechanic." Made his day!!
  22. Why does it always seem when you try to get ready for a road trip your motorcycles mechanics become a problem. I bought a new "to me" Venture a few months back. My brother, son and myself are getting ready for a trip through Arkansas and I decided to bring the Venture in for a good check out a few weeks ago. All looked fine until the mechanic saw large cracks (not all the way through) on the Intake Manifold Boots. He has dicked around for almost 3 weeks and we are scheduled to leave Saturday. Of course the parts came in yesterday and were wrong We are trying to overnight the new ones in and will have to see what happens. I got on the phone to call around Houston and see if the parts are available locally (I know it's a long shot) and couldn't find any. But I did find out the price was about $167.16 for the 4 carbs. He had quoted me $436.00 for the parts that he ordered. They were the wrong ones but I am interested to see what he says on these one. Of course there could be more parts that I am not aware of? If he says $436 and I have priced all the parts, then we will part ways in a not so nice manner. I don't want to confront him and find out that I omitted a few parts that justify the cost. Any input will be helpful. P.S. Nice site and I apoligize for jumping in with a post like this.
  23. I saw a modification on another site which claims that linking the intake ports by joining the same vacuum ports which we use for sincronizing the carbs gives somewhat better low end torque, albeit at a slight sacrifice of idle smoothness....Has anyone here ever done such a thing?????????
  24. OK, done with the bottom end, everything but middle gear cover on (hookup hose to clutch slave cylinder), time to check the valves. Gotta pick up some feeler guages tomorrow (metric or standard?), then tomorrow night get'ter done. Huge question----- got the loaner kit from BuddyRich (Thanks KYCaveman & BuddyRich), how does the tool work? Before I screw something up, book doesn't show, all it says is to install it, then rotate the cam to remove it. Also, with timing mark on T1, lobes are laying just off to the side of the intake and exhaust valves. After measurement, do you turn the lobes up, or what? Searched for a thread on this but could not find one. Last item to do before buttoning up the motor and moving on to the frame and everything else. Thanks, Dan
  25. 86 Venture Royale - It looks like the intake area in the air cleaner cover is about 1/4th the size of the area of the carb intakes. Is this an obvious restriction?