Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

Found 24 results

1. Thought I would pass this on from my friend Skip. He has a collection of old dirt bikes from the 60's, 70's and maybe early 80's. I have always been impressed with his bikes since after a complete restoration, he will still ride them. Anyways, he has an old Penton he restored and had an opportunity to meet John Penton and they used his bike in the video trailer below: He sent the info and link below: ------------------- Hey all you vintage dirt bike lovers, here's your chance to make a great project come true. Below is a link to a movie trailer telling the story of PENTON and how John Penton changed the dirt bike scene in America. They are in the funding stage currently and hoping to generate enough interest to get this movie produced. Pass along the link to any fans of that era and maybe soon we'll all get to enjoy this movie on the big screen. Any support or help to see this through would be greatly appreciated. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...le-lovett-rela These are a great bunch that could use some help and the bike in the trailer at the end isn't all that bad either. Thanks Skip
  2. Sorry we missed you the other day when we passed thru. Had a great vacation in your part of the country and got out just as the big rally began. We did make it to the 'Wonderful House' () but that was all the time we had in Scottsbluff. We also colored in the states of S.Dakota Wyoming, Montana and Idaho. The cabins in Hemingford are great, I would highly recommend them, the only draw back was the half mile dirt road from the hwy. Here is a couple pics of our cabin, the name is Patriot Inn, just at edge of town. thanks for your info----yammer'less [ATTACH]70625[/ATTACH][ATTACH]70626[/ATTACH][ATTACH]70627[/ATTACH]
  3. A great day of riding on Saturday capped with a bag lunch on the Blue Ridge Parkway, a total of 360 miles logged and even bumped into a fellow Vr'er along the way (tip of the helmet to ya, yamaduck!). Follow all that up with a night of good old dirt track racing and a day of rest to recover, does life get any better than that? I think not but I am pretty confident there are some out here that can try.
  4. Ok, I got draggd into a conversation today about something I haven't been involved with for years. I don't even own a weed wacker or a chain saw let alone a dirt bike these days so I wasn't much help to the coworker. He recently bought a used, new to him Yamaha dirt bike from a dealer. He is having a ball with it but after talking to the service people at the dealer he came looking for me. Ya know, because I ride a bike. But he had been talking to them about 2 cycle oil for the bike. They told him he could ONLY use Yamaha or Polaris oil in the bike because ANYTHING else would gum up the motor. Now with that statement alone I would call BS by the dealer. From my experience, and I worked for several years in the lawn mower repair shops when I was younger find that info incorrect. As long as he uses the proper ratio for oil/fuel he should be fine. I gave him the only advice I gave any customer. Correct ratio and run the fuel empty before storing or changing oil types or brands. But I told him I'd ask around. I know some guys. Comments? Mike
  5. Latest flyer from cyclegear.com has HID lighting kit at $54.99. Now that is cheaper than dirt.
  6. Subject: The way it was when I was a teen/I'm older than dirt LOL 'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?' 'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him 'All the food was slow.' 'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?' 'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained ! 'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the kitchen table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.' By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it : Some parents NEVER owned their own house, never wore Levis , never set foot on a golf course, never traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears & Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died. My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow) We didn't have a television in our house until I was 13. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a..m. Andthere was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people. I was 16 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.' When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.. I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line. Pizzas were not delivered to our home, but milk was. All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents. He had to get up at 6AM every morning On Saturday , he had to collect the 42 cents from his customers. His favorite customers were the ones who gave him 50 cents and told him to keep the change. His least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day. Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive. If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren Just don't blame me if they burst out laughing. Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it? MEMORIES from a friend : My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea.. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old. How many do you remember? Head lights dimmer switches on the floor. Ignition switches on the dashboard. Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall. Real ice boxes. Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards. Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner Using hand signals for cars without turn signals. Older Than Dirt Quiz : Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom. 1. Blackjack chewing gum 2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water 3. Candy cigarettes 4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles 5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes 6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers 7. Party lines on the telephone 8. Newsreels before the movie 9. P.F. Flyers 10. Butch wax 11. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels[if you were fortunate]) 12. Peashooters 13. Howdy Doody 14. 45 RPM records 15. S & H greenstamps 16. Hi-fi's 17. Metal ice trays with lever 18. Mimeograph paper 19. Blue flashbulbs 20. Packards 21. Roller skate keys 22. Cork popguns 23. Drive-ins 24. Studebakers 25. Wash tub wringers If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt! I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life!
  7. Anybody have any ideas on how to cut down the dust in a pole barn? I and my wife have been spending every weekend cleaning out her Dad's pole barn since the snow cleared enough to get into it. It was used to store hay up until 20 years or so ago. I got all the old hay out and now the dirt has a layer of real fine dirt on top that is more like dust. This is where we are having our post wedding reception and we are trying to think of a good way to cut down the dust on the floor so it doesn't get kicked up so easily when all the people start showing up. I was thinking that a good wetting down would help the finer particles clump together a bit and not get kicked up so easily. I also thought maybe some sawdust might help. Especially where the dance floor is gonna be. Others have mentioned a load of gravel. But I'm thinking that fresh laid gravel is hard to walk on until it is good and settled. The party is in three weeks. Anybody have any other ideas? Thanks, Bill
  8. `[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX48zzAtI4A]YouTube - Motorcycle dirt drag FINALS![/ame] Or maybe the Muffin Man was the true King of the Dirt Drags ??
  9. i had the day off today so i thought id put my new trailer togeather; things started out good i took out the shell top and bottom set them on the lawn and went back took the fenders out and set them aside; now i started to asemble the trailer this went very quick with out even looking in the book almost done and i see a small inch and a half pice of black plastic in the box now im thinking the worst as i pick up my fenders and look for the broken one and there both still good well back to tighting all the bolts i have in the trailer and i go in the house to get a soda. on my way back out the door i see some dirt on my cover to the box OH NO its not dirt its a HOLE broken so i call harbor freight and they are very nice and looking up part #s for me and getting me a new shell lid and when talking to them i look at the bottom and its not broken but the corner is crushed in well now the trailer is done and im waiting for the new shell for it SHHHEEEESSSSSSSS just cant win some days now the good news is in two weeks ill have TWO not ONE but 2 trailers for my lill scooter and you get pics when done Dray
  10. This is an update to my previous front bearing question. Here is the general info on the bearings:file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/user/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=yamaha+venture+front+bearings&_sacat=10063&_dmpt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&_odkw=&_osacat=10063&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=yamaha+venture+front+bearings&_sacat=10063&_dmpt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&_odkw=&_osacat=10063&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313 All the bearings and seal required to refit a wheel in one convenient package. -Premium high-speed bearings feature low drag, double lip seals on both sides to provide superior exclusion of water and dirt and improved grease retention. -High performance Chevron SRI-II grease features special rust inhibitors for the most demanding applications. -Type TC, Nitrile Elastomer wheel seals are specifically designed to keep out water and dirt. The rubber coated outside diameter creates an optimum seal at the hub. -Made by All Balls. Hope this clarifies my question. The blue seal can be removed and reset. cimack77
  11. The white stuff is gone, the salt on the road is nowhere to be seen and it's about 80F. I took the Venture out for a 2 hour ride, saw lots of bikes and the highway traffic was minimal. It was so nice, the Harley riders were even waving! I was traveling on my way back home along a dirt road, when a woman quickly backed straight out of her driveway without looking. Since I was on gravel and driving slower than normal, I managed to stop about 2' from her side door. The look on her face was both of shock and horror. She said she was sorry and pulled back into her drive way again. Why don't people think when they get behind the wheel of a car? If I was driving a full size truck she would be dead and her 3 passengers hurt. I'm just glad it was a dirt road, didn't hit her and I didn't drop it. Here we go again... looking out for those people who aren't looking.
  12. I am planning on rebuilding my front calipers as I suspect one of my brakes might be dragging. I pulled the calipers out and upon inspection the pistons were as smooth as can be except for the small section that sticks out of the caliper while in the normal position. Running my finger across them I can feel that they are a little rough. Some of it is just dirt and some might be actual damage to the piston itself. My question is: How much pitting is okay in the caliper piston before it ought to be replaced? It appears that any roughness in the piston itself remains outside the caliper when a set of fresh pads are installed therefore I would presume that it is fine to go ahead and not replace these and just polish them as much as possible before reinstalling in the rebuilt caliper. I have included a few pictures of what I am looking at here - I know it is a little hard to tell, but it was pretty much the best I could do. Also, is there anything else I ought to be checking for on these? I did notice more dirt build up on one of the caliper's pistons than the other, which leads me to believe that something is wrong with that particular caliper (ie leaky seal or something like that). Thanks for putting up with my dumb questions...
  13. Dirt roads? We ain't afraid of no dirt roads! Stu and Marvin...any of this look familiar??? We did run into a fellow from California who said he figures in Montana and Idaho the term road construction really means "sent out for repairs." Teri (Roja of Pakidaho)
  14. Rode Sudbury's Xmas Toy Run Saturday . Boy was I out place there...389 scoots and Im the only one with a Dirt bike( Dua lPurpose) :rotfl: Can you spot my scoot
  15. Road Report, July 2009 Road is down to dirt all the way through Monticello, in every direction, but no waits, as this town is very small. Dirt is well packed in the tire tracks. Sand and small gravel elsewhere. State liquor store about 3 miles south of Monticello sells real beer. Monticello doesn't offer much. If you have a choice, move on to Moab.
  16. The thread about a member (Charlie) buying a KLR650 got me thinking about riding the dirt roads. I live on the edge of the Chattahoochie National Forest, so besides having lots of twisty 2 lane roads around here, there are even more narrow dirt roads and trails thru the forest. Maybe the 90 degree heat got me thinking about how much cooler the woods are than the asphalt? I almost bought a KLR650 this past week too. But I held back while I looked around and have almost decided that I want something in the 200-250cc class. I don't need a machine capable of sustained highway speeds, the dirt roads start 2 miles from my driveway. The smallest displacement machine I looked at is the one I'm actually leaning towards, a Yamaha TW200. It has a low-low gearing and a big fat rear tire that shouldn't get stuck anywhere. On the down side it has a top speed of 65mph and only 16 horsepower. Does anyone here ride something like this also? Other options are the 225/230/250cc machines from Honda/Kawasaka/Yamaha. http://randyrick.us/motorcycles/TW200.jpg
  17. Hey, it's early Sunday morning, and the mind's wandering. Some of you may remember?? But a few years back after VWI? a box of Bakersfield dirt was packed up by Hdhtr and sent out to a member who couldn't attend the rally, but were there in spirit. The deal was that the dirt was to be spred on a tarp and a picture of the member was to be taken while riding thru it... then posted to the board. Afterwards the dirt forwarded on to the next member. For all this trouble a VWI patch was mailed to the VR Dirt Rider. It was a great idea!!... I'm not even sure if this was something that happened in the pre-crash days?? Anyway, what happened to the dirt?? Don't want it... just curious.
  18. As long as we're sharing... I was riding back from Death Valley, our annual ride. The last of my 17 fellow riders had just left me to make the final 5 mile ride home. I was on a 2 lane controlled access highway in the number 2 lane. As I approached an on-ramp I was able to see several cars entering the highway. Seeing a good size opening in the number 1 lane I moved over and continued at speed. The cars began to merge into the number 2 lane, but the lead car decided that the opening I now occupied was actualy meant for him. With no hesitation the he, it was a he, crossed the number 2 lane and ended up right along side me. I was sure he would see me and back off alowing me to return to my lane. Instead I was forced off into the center divider. As luck would have it the center divider was about 40 yards wide and dirt with tufts of grass and shrubs. I learned to ride in the dirt, lucky again. I began down-shifting, not touching my brakes, and slowely came to a stop. No one stopped, no one called CHP. Had I gone down I hesitate to think how I ight have ended up. A Valkyrie is not a light machine. Keep you eyes open. Because most of the time we are invisible
  19. Below is the link to the website to take action! http://www.arra-access.com/campaign/advocacy_youth_atvs?rk=id1Ugm7aM4OFE
  20. Not quite the same as a motorcycle, but if anyone is into sailing I am selling looking at selling my 30 ft LOD sailboat. It does need quite a bit of work but am willing to let it go dirt cheap.. Interested or know someone who may be, send me a pm and I'll get you pics and details. Thanks.
  21. We had a large group out of Slidell Louisiana heading up to Natchez MS Saturday to ride part of the trace. Right outside of Columbia MS in a hard right hand turn across some RR tracks the rear got a little squirrly. I had my choice of hitting a RR crossing sign, a culvert or a patch of wet dirt. Went for the dirt and the bike laid down and immediately came to a stop, unfortunately the wife didn't and came over my back. I hit the edge of the road pretty hard and the wife didn't hit hard but twisted her already chronic back. We're ok, a lot of bruises, but I can surely testify to the advantage of leather and helmets. My jacket tore in half and the right side of my helmet is flat from scraping the concrete road. Witnesses said that we were moving about 10mph when all of this happened !! The adjuster is coming out tomorrow and basically the entire right side of the bike needs attention. I may be in the market for parts. After seeing the damage to the leather and helmet, I can only imagine how bad it could have been if we were not wearing the proper riding gear.
  22. For those who have 550's; Just got back from a 4300 mile ride, Zumo locked up three times. Would not respond to anything. The solution is to unscrew the battery, count to ten and replace. It all comes back to normal. Also discovered that some of the route calculations involve some trully idiotic combinations - I guess the programing guys in Mumbai are not as swift as advertised! Also, don't blindly follow instructions ! this thing will repeatedly send you on secondary dirt roads and even off a clif if you are not carefull! Fording streams on dirt roads ain't my bag on a 900 pounder ! Yess, it did happen.
  23. I am about to take my fairing off (83 venture royal)and can not find a guide to removing it. I searched the forums with no luck. Can someone give me just a brief down and dirt on how to proceed and what I should watch out for???? thanks Ron
  24. Hello all: I have a '90 VR and noticed that the accordian-style fork tube cover boots have tears in them. Any suggestions in repairing these to keep dirt, etc. off the fork tubes and keep the boots looking good? Thanks for your help. Grayghost.