Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. What do we make cagers think when we share the road, and related thoughts. Often and most time we blame the cager for not seeing us. This maybe true, but no matter who's to blame for the mishaps or near mishaps, riders still end up with the short end of the stick, and are the ones who have to deal with the worst aftermath. How to minimize these situations is an ongoing discussion and I would like to add to it from a different point of view. First, lets accept the fact that an accident is the fault of those involved, in our case the rider and the cager. We all know that the cager will not 'see us', so it's up to us to avoid being hit. The cager is no help in this department. With that in mind here's my thoughts: TWO LANE ROAD: 1) Always ride the left hand track, in the right hand track we get lost in the scenery and we tell others that we are not really a contender in the traffic. 2) When approaching an intersection and you have a left turner coming toward you, stay in the left hand track. If you move over to the right hand track you are telling the cager that you are making a right turn, and guess what, he's going first, and right into your path cutting off all chance of escape. If you stay in the left track and he does turn in front of you, you have a chance of going behind him. However small that opening may be, it’s may be the only one you’ve got. 3) When traveling down the road stay with the traffic speed. You are telling the cager that you are part of his environment and not just something to get out of the way. Keep your left track and block your lane. If you move to the right track you are telling them: I’m trying to give you room to pass me, try it if you think it’s ok and take me out in the process. It also gives you a better vision to the front and traffic coming towards you are also aware of your presence and so have to contend with you. 4) Always and always block your lane. You paid for it as much as anyone else, you have a right to it and it’s yours to use to your full advantage. 5) When making a right hand turn never use the right hand track, in doing so you are telling the cager that it’s ok for him to try and squeeze by you, but often times there’s not quite enough room and over you go. 6) When making a left turn use the center right track and so block your lane. Sure the cager has to wait to go past you, but then he does for anyone else as well so why not for you. If he knows he’s going to take you out he will contend with you, but if he can put you on the side in his mind, you’re the one who deals with the problems. Further more if the cager thinks that he can scoot past you and stay on the pavement he will, force him to leave the pavement and he will give you a wider berth. 7) Never give a cager the idea that you may even want to share your lane with him, it’s yours, you paid for it, at present you own it and are using it and he’s to keep away from you. 8) When stopped at a light or stop sign, tell others by your action that you own the lane, park crosswise in the middle if that’s what it takes, just don’t let anyone even think that there may be a chance that they could squeeze by. FOUR LANE, Two lanes in either direction. I find that sometimes it feels safer in the right and other times safer in the left. I’m not really stuck on the one vs. the other. 1) When in the right lane be visible and use the left track, when in the left lane be just as visible and use the right track. Again, let others know that you intend to be a contender in traffic and they will have to deal with you. This may seem to be an aggressive way of thinking and doesn’t fly with the thought that we are super vulnerable. We are super vulnerable and should never forget that fact, but that doesn’t mean that we need to tell the cager that. Let him know that we are part of the world he has to deal with and it will be much harder for him to put us aside mentally. 2) When passing continue to use the proper tracks. You may feel safer in the other track, but you won’t be taking over your rightful lane, you will be unnoticed, and therefore uncared for. 3) When doing an exit, continue to claim your right to your lane as long as possible, nobody will run you down, but if you fade to the right to try and get out the way then others will take your lane away from you before they should. These are just some thoughts, hopefully helpful, but I’m not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. Lets use this to start a discussion and to educated each other more fully. Got some helpful insight? Some good pointers? Type away and help the rest of us as well.
  2. BEER30

E-Track

As I will not be able to tow the new motorhome behind the RSV, I'm stuck by trailering the scoot in my 8.5' x 20' enclose car-hauler. Been searching for some E-Track and came upon this website, http://www.mfrexpress.com/ . I ordered: 4 x 2"x6" E Track Rope Tie Off W/D-Ring & Spring E-Fitting (ETF26) = $11.96 12 x Heavy Duty 2'' Searies E/A Fitting with O Ring 6000 LBS (EF2OHD6000) = $47.88 12 x 5' E Track Horizontal Galvanized (ETH5) = $194.76 Free shipping on orders $50.00 or more. Total came to $254.60. Order was shipped out the following day via FedEx. Just sharing some info. BEER30
  3. Americas Challenge has begun... Track the gas balloons here: http://www.balloonfiesta.com/GasTracking/2012/app_map.html You can click on the balloon icons for info on that particular balloon, and use the minus button on the left to zoom out to state level. Some of these balloons travel thousands of miles.....so pilot skill, luck, and winds aloft determine the winner. There are only 5 balloons in the race this year, due to the worldwide shortage of helium, they are flying on hydrogen. Still, it should be fun to see them, if they fly over your area around sunrise or sunset, they are easy to spot. In years past, some of the balloons have made it into the Great Lakes region, although most only travel into Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado and Nebraska. For general info on the event: http://www.balloonfiesta.com/gas-balloons/america-s-challenge The teams are displayed here: http://www.balloonfiesta.com/gas-balloons/america-s-challenge-2012 Request to moderators: Can you make this thread sticky for a day or two? I doubt it will receive enough replies to keep it active...I could be wrong. Thanks.
  4. I need to order a pin from Bushtec that would fit in a priority box USPS for $5.95, They will only use fed ex or Ups. Sales claimed that they had no way to track packages with Post office???? Anyway for a $49 part They are wanting $14 shipping. I don't mind paying I just feel that this is gouging....
  5. A great day of riding on Saturday capped with a bag lunch on the Blue Ridge Parkway, a total of 360 miles logged and even bumped into a fellow Vr'er along the way (tip of the helmet to ya, yamaduck!). Follow all that up with a night of good old dirt track racing and a day of rest to recover, does life get any better than that? I think not but I am pretty confident there are some out here that can try.
  6. Since I decided to restore the ol' body to the condition it was in back in the 70's (minus the drugs) I have also decided to retro fit the RSV with a NOS 8 track player with Quad sound. I figure once I win one of the trailer raffles that I have entered, then ill have sufficient space to haul those 8 track tapes around. Im also considering going with fuzzy dice and pompom balls around the seat. Hmmmm, anyone have any Jimi/Janis stickers laying around? Maybe some tie-die seat covers.....The possibilities are endless. Hmmmm, maybe I should go further back into the 50's, for Eck's sake of course.... Wow, Perks are great s***:smile5:
  7. This may belong in the "Jokes" threads. . . . As most of you know, there was quite a blaze in the Daytona 500 last week when the 42 car broke, Montoya lost control, and the car nailed the back end of one of the track's jet dryers. To call it a small blaze would be an understatement as the line of fire stretched across the width of the track thanks to 200 gallons of jet fuel. Add the 30+* banking and fighting it was "fun" too. It took a fork lift to get what was left of the truck off the track. Well, there were comments made by the broadcast crew over the track's use of Tide laundry detergent to clean the remains of the fire and the stuff used to kill it off the track so they could go back racing. Tide has taken that piece of film and made a commercial out of it. The captions read " You keep inventing stains.", then "We'll keep inventing ways to get them out." :crackup:
  8. My son and I are working on a car convention for Minnesota this July. Host hotel is in St. Cloud, and we are looking for great driving roads and motor enthusiast attractions in the area. Restaurant suggestions are also wanted. We are renting Brainerd, so if you or others you know would be interested in a track day (sorry, cars only) contact me. We could use some help in getting enough cars to pay the bills. any and all suggestions very much appreciated.
  9. Just thought the vets here might find this interesting.... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU-A7eqadho&feature=related]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU-A7eqadho&feature=related[/ame] or give the other moderators something to track for a while
  10. Well, Sleeperhawk totally surprised me today with my Christmas present, which I never dreamed I would get to do! He got me the Nascar Racing Experience! I will get to drive an original Nascar driven by a Nascar driver of my choice, Jimmy Johnson, Jeff Gordon, etc. on a race track, the two closest to us being Darlington and Charlotte. Any recommendations on which track to do this? Sounds like a meet and eat time too when I schedule a date! I have several dates to pick from in 2012 so I will post when we go up there! Thank you, Sleeperhawk, for an incredible gift. I love you!!!
  11. We need to get a forum going that keeps track of lost members, and Annie.
  12. Jeff, you move around so much, where are you going to be for the next few weeks...........I cant keep track of you.:doh:
  13. as i am shifting thru the gears , either up or down i always count the gear i am in - does anyone else keep track this way....curious minds what to know !
  14. Some of you have been following our ride for the last two weeks. Just wanted to let everyone know we made I made it home late last night. We started out on a two week loop around Kansas and Nebraska (in that we didn't touch either state). We left on the 18th and tavelled to Sikeston MO, on to Eureka Springs AR, through OK and the TX panhandle to Albuquerque NM. From there we went through Durango, Montrose, Telluride, Carbondale, Frisco, Estes Park and then on to the Black Hills of SD. We left Hill City SD Friday morning and made it home to Nicholasville KY last night, 1376 miles. Overall we covered 4410 miles in 14 days. It was an incredible trip. We saw very little rain, maybe 60 to 90 minutes the entire trip. It rained several evenings after we were settled at our hotel. We had no flat tires or equipment problems. Traffic was not a problem with the exception of a couple of lane closures for paving. It was a bit hot on the way to NM but after that the temperatures were quite comfortable. We travelled desolate highways, high mountain passes, beautiful canyons, and lush grasslands and forests. We saw many windmill farms. We live in a beautiful country as I'm sure you know. I had posted a few daily reports with links to the day's photos and some of you may have looked at them. I've combined all of those into a single link with all of the photos. If you care to see the photos they are at: www.traynorphoto.com/2010biketrip I also carried a SPOT unit. I highly recommend that if you have people at home trying to keep track of you. We had family following our track and it helped them know that we were safe and still moving. It entertained my 86 year old father-in-law as he sat by the computer with his road atlas following our progress. The SPOT track can be found at: http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=6473 We've began planning this trip about 9 months ago so it will soon be time to plan next years adventure. We're thinking about the Oregon and N. California coastline. But you never know. Back to work tomorrow..... Dennis
  15. OK Folks, I have been working with a patchmaker out on the left coast and she will be doing our patches for the rally. They are a bit pricey, but have 8 colors in them and a good amount of detail. The patches will be $12.50 a piece and we can either send them to you or you can pick them up at the rally. I am putting a poll up for the #'s game on how many we need to have made and it will display your name for how you voted so I can keep track of it. I will come back in a later thread and give details on where and to whom to send the monies to. If you have question PM me or ask them in the thread, I will keep this bumped up to the top and we'll let it run for 2 weeks or so....here is a pic of the patch.
  16. Hello: I owned the above tandem before I purchased my RSTD. I would like to equip the trailer to haul bikes. Looks like etrack is the way to go. Any suggestions on the etrack/wheel chocks and placement of the track? Thanks.....
  17. Got to mark an item off the bucket list on Saturday. My parents got to an age they didn't feel comfortable on their Gold Wing any longer and switched over to a Miata. They had a fundraiser Saturday at Bristol Motor Speedway and I had the opportunity to take their car for 5 laps. It was a blast, they kept us below 65, but on a steep half mile track you could still have some fun. Here's a pic my wife took as we were pulling on to the track. http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/elmicko2002/BMS.jpg
  18. A buddy at work with a Harley wants to go against me at the local drag strip on amateur night. Neither of us has run the track before but it might prove interesting. $20 a bike and all the runs that can be fitted in. I am wondering what rpm's would be most efficient to shift at. I expect 6500-7000 would work but looking for pointers. Not sure what model his bike is but I'll have to find out as it may be a sleeper! Any other pointers are welcome as this is new to me. The track doesn't open for a few weeks yet so I may have to find a quiet road to practise. My bike is bone stock except for the new diagphrams, needle shim mod, carb sync, MAc mufflers and new paint. I have an E3 on the rear with about 50% tread left. I read somewhere that it helps to drop the air pressure in the rear tire as well as the rear suspension. Fire away.
  19. I picked up a nice chrome trunk guard a while back but the Barons light lenses were all faded out and almost clear, so Ive been trying to find the replacements. Finally, today I managed to track them back to Drag Specialities and ordered the amber for the side lights and red for the back lights for 2.95 us per lens. They also offer the complete new light fixture if yours are rough for about 20 bucks. As Drag SPecialities is a wholesaler, they wouldnt sell so I managed to track down AllJet to take my order online, here is the info. http://shop.alljet.com/productdetail.htm?productId=7724779&catalogId=&searchProducts=2040-0299 Brian
  20. I have been considering a pull behind trailer and wsa wondering if any of you have looked into or know about the in-line brand of trailer? It seems like a very good idea to have the wheel of the trailer track the same as the bike. Any ideas and/or information will be appreciated
  21. Well that was a long Daytona 500, but I liked the end. I'm glad Jamie won that, after losing his ride last year. They should have used that epoxy the first time they tried fixing the track though. Would have shortened the time we sat around watching it dry. Margaret
  22. It's no secret that New Enough is an excellent company and offers customer service like few other companies. I know from personal experiences in the past. I own a pair of Firstgear riding pants and seem to have lost the liner. I did not buy them from New Enough but I have been unsuccessful contacting anyone at Firstgear. NE put me on hold and tried as well and couldn't get anyone to answer the phone either. I started calling Firstgear's 800 # a few weeks ago with no luck. I even tried e-mailing them. Needless to say I don't believe I'll be buying Firstgear anymore. The gentlemen said they didn't sell just the liners for the pants but he would try and track some down. He called me back an hour later and said he was able to get in touch with a FG dealer who was trying to track down the liners. He took all the info and passed it to the dealer and promised to call me back. Keeping in mind that NE is making nothing off this transaction I was impressed. I've bought a lot of gear from NE and will continue to do so. PS. the web site listed on the FG pants has not worked either for the last month. www.firstgear-usa.com (EDIT) I just tried the link from this post and the site opened. I tried again from my browser and it's still not working. Not sure what's happening here. (EDIT-EDIT) I found a direct number at the web site and left a message. We'll see what happens with FG now.
  23. Gail on her 1100 Virago and I no my 83 std. went on a charity ride for Richmond county Hospice. A 55 mile ride through the country some up and down and twisties, we ended up at the Rockingham Speedway. We got to do 4 laps around the Little Rock, a 1/4 mile oval track that was a rush!!! that was worth the $10.00 per bike. One rider on his Harley had to push it and went off the track, broke his windshield turn signal and some road rash but OK lucky for him the track was surrounded by sand. Then we went to a restaurant for hot dogs with all the fixens and of course ice cream:cry:, was a great day yes it was. Gail had fun to but only did 2 laps around the track.
  24. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgSujdW537k]YouTube - The 2009 Zero S Electric Motorcycle on a Track[/ame] An electric motorcycle !!!!! http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/
  25. Hey Guys, I think some you might be interested in see what a RSV will do on the track. But for some past history, a friend of mine got me interested in this a couple of years ago as a means to improve my riding skills. However I didn't start out on the Venture. I decided to buy a smaller bike (Ninja 650R) for 2 reasons (1) a starter bike for my 21 year old neice and (2) a track bike for me until I got her through the MSF training, her license and some coaching from me. However number 2 didn't come about, so I kept it for a bike to take to a track school for 4 sessions. And I'll tell you right now this is the most fun I have ever had on 2 wheels and I've never learned more than I did at the track than I have in any other of my other training and personal experiences. But after 4 times on the 650, I felt it was time to see if all I had learned would translate to takeing my bigger bike on the track. So I took her up to the track, preped her and then took her out. At first everyone was giving me that look like how is that big bagger going to do in the corners and how long will it be before he goes off the track. Well by the end of the day I had made a believer of all of them that this big bike could handle the corners and that I did not hold up anyone by parking it in the corners. Now I couldn't get the lean angle that I could on my 650 because of the ground clearance, but I was able to take it as far as the bike would let me and I didn't grind anything but the plates on the floor boards. Now I will admit that the suspension on my 02 Midnight is anything but stock, with Race Tech cartridge emulators, heavier fork springs, a Works shock, my Leveling Links, and a 130/90 front tire, not to mention 4 piston calipers on the front brakes (to slow me down). So I'm not sure I would have done this with a box stock Venture and had as much fun. So attached are a few pictures of the day, Rick