Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. Does anyone know what would cause an '87 VR to red line in 2nd gear at 65 mph but not get above 4500rpm and 75 mph in 5th gear. It does sputter a little around 6000 rpm but will recover up to the red line. I normally don't do this to the engine but was trying to blow out the jets in the carbs after 2 cans of Sea Foam run through her this past year. It runs great but just a little slugesh in high gear. Any insight would be great and I just got carbs sync. this weekend. Is this normal? THANKS!!!
  2. There have been at least three other threads on this subject in the past month or two, but since this is going to be kinda long and detailed, I thought I would start a new one just for my measurements and results. We all know that reported MPG figures for the 2nd gens have been all over the map, from high 20s to mid 50s (don't I wish!). Nobody is really sure what they SHOULD be or how to compare them. I am on the trail to figure that out. My mileage has always been in the mid 30s average (much more detail below) on both of my RSVs over 50,000 miles. I recently checked and properly set the float levels in the carbs on my 05, and this seemed to produce a dramatic increase in fuel economy (about 5 MPG?). But I still have more to do, and I would love to find someone within a couple of hundred miles of DFW that claims to have mileage in the high 40s or even 50+ MPG with whom I could connect and do some comparisons. In the mean time, I have done some very detailed measurements over a 4,000 mile ride, and here is the information that should make it easier to compare our numbers: Stock Speedometer - on the RSV, it indicates approximately 8% higher than actual speed as measured by GPS. This does not really affect fuel mileage calculations, but is important to know when someone states what MPG they get at a particular speed. For example, if they get 33 MPG at 80 MPH, do they mean a REAL 80 (which would be an indicated 87), or are they seeing an indicated 80 (which is actually only about 73 MPH)? In my experience, the difference between 73 MPH and 87 MPH can change fuel economy by close to 10 MPG! So knowing how to compare apples to apples is quite important for us. Stock Odometer - On the RSV, it indicates approximately 4% higher than actual. In my testing, this calculates out to about 2 MPG difference on a typical tank. BUT, if someone has corrected their speedometer with an external device like a Speedohealer or Yellowbox, then their odometer will now read about 4% LOWER than actual, which means that the miles per gallon they calculate for a typical tank will be approximately 3 MPG lower than that exact same fuel consumption on an identical bike with a stock odometer. For example, if I ride 200 miles and fill up with 5.5 gallons, I get 36.4 MPG. But if someone with a corrected speedometer rides the exact same distance (their odometer will show 184 miles) and fills up with the same 5.5 gallons, they will only calculate 33.4 MPG, quite a significant difference, even though we both got identical mileage! SPEEDS - The difference between an actual 55 MPH (indicated 60) and an actual 80 MPH (indicated 87) will make a huge difference in fuel consumption, and any winds will make this difference even much greater. In my experience, a typical RSV can get 42 MPG at 55, and 32 MPG at 80, without factoring in any wind effects. I believe that for comparison purposes, we must all be vary careful to state specifically if we are using stock indicated miles and speeds or a "corrected" miles and speed. Note that in the latter case, the speed would be a true speed, but the miles reported would be approximately 4% low. Now that I have said all that, let me report on the actual measurements I made on the 4,000 mile trip. I am not going to actually report details on EVERY tank of gas unless someone requests it, but I'll give you the summary. I used to get an average of 36 MPG on my 05 RSV, but only about 32 MPG when running around 76 MPH actual (indicated 82). After setting the float levels, this trip started out showing about 35 MPG when running that fast. Ethanol mixes would drop a mile or two from the calculation, as would any significant cross wind or head wind. For example, my first tank of gas out of Fort Worth took me 206 miles at an indicated speed of about 77 MPH (GPS showed 71 MPH) with a medium cross wind. My calculated mileage (using indicated speeds and distance) for this tank was 35.84 MPG. The next tank took me 154 miles (indicated) at approximately 80 MPH (indicated), but no winds. This tank produced 35.57 MPG. Later in the day I was running around 84 MPH indicated (around 78 actual) and my mileage dropped to around 33 MPG. When I was riding with the group on day rides at the rally, speeds were staying much lower, of course. The three tanks of gas under those conditions resulted in 45.8, 41.6 and 38.4 MPG. When I left Kitchener, I spent the first day on secondary roads. I was still pushing it pretty good, but the speeds were all over the place since there was a lot of stopping, curves, etc. The next three tanks produced average MPG calculations (using indicated mileage) of 41.4, 39.3 and 37.8 MPG. Friday we got back on the Super Slab, running between 80 and 90 indicated all day long. Average economy was about 32.3 MPG for all tanks. That night, when we got done with dinner and fired up the bike to head back to the hotel, I noticed a pronounced misfire on the left side - the only time I heard this. Other than the misfire at idle, the bike ran fine. The next day the bike seemed to be laboring a little when hard acceleration around 70 MPH, but nothing really significant. The first tank of gas returned typical numbers. Then I had a couple of tanks that looked bad. I was running pretty fast on a divided road that had lights in the towns - probably averaging 85 indicated when out of town, and I got 31.3 MPG. The next tank only got 29.6 MPG! But after that the numbers went back up to the mid 30s and stayed there all the way home. That just shows you how much the numbers can change with little apparent reason! I suspect I had a partially fouled plug for a while, maybe caused by poor gas, but I doubt I will ever know for sure. So there it is, my actual numbers over a 4,000 mile trip with a 2005 RSV running well. I was riding two-up and heavily loaded. It was even worse when I left Kitchener due to the oil and heavy coffee table book I won at the rally and had to add to the load (which also made me add another bag to the top of the rack, increasing wind drag). I still have a couple of things to try to boost the mileage, but frankly, the best thing I can do is slow down! My all-around average used to be around 36 MPG, but now I think it will reasonably be around 40 MPG (due to float levels and tuning). If I can ever find a way to get it higher, I'll sure let y'all know! Goose
  3. We left home bound for Sikeston, MO this morning and about 20 miles from home running 70 mph on the parkway the bike just died like it was out of gas. A little sputter and dead. I coasted to the side of the road and checked everything. Kill switch was good, kickstand was up, ignition switch seemed to work, full tank of gas, fuel pump seemed to run, etc. I tried cranking it but it wouldn't fire. We set there a couple of minutes and I pulled the choke out and and tried again. It would fire and run a couple of seconds and then die again. I repeated this several times until it continued to run. So I assumed I had some bad gas or something. I rode on to Bardstown, about 50 miles and stopped a Walmart and got a can of Seafoam. I ran two tanks of gas with the Seafoam treatment as we continued on to Sikeston and we had no more problems other than very poor mileage. Riding two up and towing the Unigo at 70 mph I was only getting 30 to 32 mpg in 92 to 95 degree heat. Is there anything else I should check? Dennis
  4. Well after putting 10,000 miles on my Kumho CT, I replaced it with a Avon Venom. During the 10,000 mile Kumho test I endured: --- multiple wild tank-slapping episodes on curves above 70 mph --- instability trying to stop sideways on a grade... tire wanted to dump the bike --- instability on grooved highway --- pain in the ass getting comments from people telling me my wobble problems were other bike problems & that I needed to fix them because there was nothing wrong with a CT Well, I changed the tire & tested it today. I took the same routes & speeds that always generated a wobble. There is NO WOBBLE! Woo HOO! I then redid the test with speeds up to 100 mph (corrected). So now if I get carried away passing or avoiding, I don't have to fear a Tank Slapping episode of SUPER FEAR. The 2008 RSV rides & handles great now. No CT for me ever again on a 2 wheel motorcycle. JohnB
  5. Just heard that State Route #130, a toll road between San Antonio and Austin, TX, are changing the speed limit to 85 mph! Now that should be a good way to clean out your carbs! Yama Mama:225::225:
  6. Hey all, I've got a 1999 RSV with 46k miles and I noticed yesterday that when I do 60 mph, I get a humming noise from the rear tire. when I lean to the right the humming becomes MUCH louder, & when I lean the bike to the left its just a little bit louder. When I speed up to 70 mph or slow down to 50 mph, the humming goes away. I believe it's been there for awhile, I just usually have the stereo playing and have never noticed it. Does this sound like a worn wheel bearing? and when it hits its harmonic frequency at 60mph it humms? Is replacing the wheel bearings a difficult task? Do I need to purchase any special tools to accomplish this? Thanks D.W.
  7. After this last weekend's ride down to San Jose, then up to Sacramento/Auburn, then back home to Olympia, WA...I am tired of the error factor on my speedo and Odo. I have previously installed the SpeedHealer units on my previous 3 GL-1800's, dialing them in to match my Garmin Zumo 550. Now it is a must that I install a new SpeedHealer on this '06 RSMTD. I am disappointed that Yamaha had to join all the others in putting out a speedo that reads so darn high, compared to what the bike is really doing. If I just putted down the road, doing the speed limit, and falling aslepp like the rest of the sheep in traffic, then it would not be needed as bad. But it is still crazy to be riding along just slightly faster than the flow of the other vehicles, and my speedo reads 80 - 85 mph. I have had such great success with the SpeedHealer on my other bikes, and am hoping that the same device (but specific to the RSTD) will correct the error factor in my otherwise cool looking speedo. If my speedo is reading 85 mph, I want to really be riding at 85 mph...not 75 or even 72 mph. Urgh ! I will get this issue fixed. BTW, those new Flanders handlebars (650-08783) really are nice. Yeah !
  8. Being the dumba$$ that I am, I fell last night and hit my right hand on a landscape rock. (No, not riding the bike, doing yardwork!) The result is a chipped bone just below the middle finger in the palm of the hand, and a partially torn ligament. So unless I can get the cruise control to work at under 40 mph and just use the rear brake, I'm grounded for awhile. And aren't you impressed that I typed this using my left hand only? And I'm not left handed!
  9. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/texas-highway-first-allow-85-mph-speed-limit-154924311.html
  10. Trader

Cruise

Rode 3 hours in the rain today. I actually enjoyed it...but then I'm a sick puppy. I enjoy riding period! CRUISE CONTROL WORKS! WOOOO HOOOO!!!! All it was was the hose came off the pump or whatever in the lower right faring. It does seem as if it drops about 7 mph from the "SET" speed before the cruise actually kicks in. I have to hold the Accel. to bring it back up to the desired speed./ Any thoughts on that?
  11. http://bozardford.com/images/spacer.gif We had a chance to get a great deal on this car because my son-in-law shoots this ford dealers commercials. We just couldnt refuse and they gave me a great price on our sebring convertible to boot. Its a 2007 Mustang GT Deluxe....300 HP V8, shaker sound system, full leather interior, 5 speed automatic. Took it for a test drive on I-95 in St Augustine. Hit 100 mph with no effort. Jean deserves this car after putting up with me all these years. But, I do get to drive it now and then.......:smile5: http://cdnedge.vinsolutions.com/AP/3026-2-10257046-64052278-0-0/64052278.jpg
  12. An elderly man on a Moped, looking about 90 years old, pulls up next to a doctor at a street light. The old man looks over at the sleek shiny car and asks, "What kind of car ya got there, sonny?" The doctor replies, "A Ferrari. It cost half a million dollars!" "That's a lot of money," says the old man. "Why does it cost so much?" "Because this car can do up to 220 miles an hour!" states the doctor proudly. The Moped driver asks, "Mind if I take a look inside?" "No problem," replies the doctor. So the old man pokes his head in the window and looks around.. Then, sitting back on his Moped, the old man says, "That's a pretty nice car, all right.... but I'll stick with my Moped!" Just then the light changes, so the doctor decides to show the old man just what his car can do. He floors it, and within 30 seconds the speedometer reads 150 mph. Suddenly, he notices a dot in his rear view mirror. It seems to be getting closer ! He slows down to see what it could be and suddenly WHOOOOSSSHHH! Something whips by him going much faster! "What on earth could be going faster than my Ferrari?" the doctor asks himself. He presses harder on the accelerator and takes the Ferrari up to 180 mph. Then, up ahead of him, he sees that it's the old man on the Moped! Amazed that the Moped could pass his Ferrari, he gives it more gas and passes the Moped at 200 mph and he's feeling pretty good until he looks in his mirror and sees the old man gaining on him AGAIN! Astounded by the speed of this old guy, he floors the gas pedal and takes the Ferrari all the way up to 220 mph. Not ten seconds later, he sees the Moped bearing down on him again! The Ferrari is flat out, and there's nothing he can do ! Suddenly, the Moped plows into the back of his Ferrari, demolishing the rear end. The doctor stops and jumps out and unbelievably the old man is still alive. He runs up to the banged-up old guy and says, "I'm a doctor.... Is there anything I can do for you ?" The old man whispers, "Unhook my suspenders from your side view mirror!"
  13. I purchased a 91 VR last fall and one day riding, I for some reason let go of the handle bar to do something. At around 40 mph I noticed a sight handle bar shake left & right. As my speed dropped to 35 the shake got much more excessive then by the time it go to 30 it was very violent to the point I almost lost control. Today on a short ride I thought I try the handle bar test thinking I might need to tighten the steering. Now I just installed progressive about 3 weeks ago. I let the handle bar go at about 45 mph and coasted down to about 10 mph with no shake. I was controlling the VR with just 1 finger on each grip and oh so very lightly just to keep the VR going straight.
  14. Took a little ride today down to Greensboro, NC to meet up with the Muffinman as he was helping out one of our new members that picked up an 83 Venture for less than a song. It was great to see him again and be able to visit and have a meal with him. He is one of the best. I was glad Brian, HotRodYJ, got to meet him. It was a bit of a cool ride, for me anyway, as most of the day was cloudy and from about 50 to 55 degrees. We also ran thru some misty rain, but it did not get us wet. Normally when you drop off the mountain going from NE TN toward the middle of NC, it gets hotter. Today at about 1pm, it was 54 degrees in Greensboro and when we got Boone, NC, it was 72 degrees and about 50 miles away in Johnson City, TN, it was 82 degrees. On the way down, we ran from about 65 to 75 mph most of the way and when I gassed up, I got 42 mpg. On the way back up the mountain, we ran the speed limit, with most being 65 mph and when I got home and filled up, I was up to 47.4 mpg, which I was happy with. We also had a little headwind going down and tailwind coming home. It was a good day, especially when we almost got a ticket by a State Trooper. RandyA
  15. I have a question. All of you with 83 thru 91 first & second gen Venture & Venture Royales, could you please tell me what you'r engine is turning at 70 MPH? As most of you know it took me three years to turn our 89 Venture Royale into a trike, which I finished last spring and we took on a 4000+ mile trip. However I can't remember what RPM the bike used to turn at 70 so I don't know if my gearing is right or wrong. Thanks in advance.
  16. Just as an fyi .... maybe the Forum could make good use of a "Ride Reports" Section ... just a thought Left Tulsa at around 5 pm Friday headed for Lincoln, Nebraska. Completely uneventful ride apart from two small things. First ... somewhere on HWY 75 there is a STOP sign. As I approached, the whole front end of the bike started vibrating, felt like it was falling off so I stopped. Then I heard another car doing it and I laughed when I realised it was embedded speed bumps that were not clearly visible in the growing gloom. I checked the bike anyway. http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/April%20Fools%20Rall/DSCN0364.jpg Arrived in Lincoln at around midnight, found Motel and got a good nights sleep. I'm not going to describe the Rally I was on, a Rally Report will come later and I didn't finish. The other issue I was having was that the windshield is still too tall to comfortably see over ... it needs to lose another inch, and that adds an amount of strain to night riding that I can manage without given the number of hours I ride in the dark. On the plus side, the HID Projector is utterly awesome! Next morning, 8.00 am had me heading out, next stop Cheyenne, WY, about 480 miles. http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/April%20Fools%20Rall/DSCN0365.jpg That is a replica of the Liberty Bell, which I guess saves the good citizens of Wyoming a trip to Philly. From there the rest of the day was spent heading South. Leaving Wyoming and heading down I 25 all the way through Colorado. Never seen the Rockies before and I got to see them all day, just sitting quietly on my right still covered in snow. Left the Interstate to go visit the Federal Maximum Security Penitentiary in Florence. That got me off the busy highway and onto 38 miles of awesome twisties through the mountains. The VR handled it all with it's usual competence. Never felt concerned, never put a tyre wrong, didn't hesitate. It just ran and ran and ran. http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/April%20Fools%20Rall/DSCN0366.jpg Leaving the jail I had another 30 miles, or so, back to the Interstate on different roads, a different landscape. Narrow road but wide open, empty and very fast. That was a lot of fun, and would have been even better had I not been in quite so much pain! When I set out the night before it became clear that I hadn't fully recovered from the 1500 miles two weeks earlier. My back was aching, and my butt was worse. By now I was in agony so I stopped in Pueblo, CO and dragged the laptop out on a garage forecourt to look at routing options. There weren't any, I had to carry on. I went as far as Trinidad, CO, and found a Motel 8 for the night. It was midnight and I had covered 800 miles for the day. At this point I was 550 miles from home. I chatted with the Rally Master and figured that if I could get away by 2.30 am I could still get back to Tulsa by 2 pm Central, and qualify as a Finisher. Set the clock for two hours sleep. Woke up, couldn't move, my back was in complete spasm and I couldn't even sit up. So I did what everyone else would have done. I turned off the alarm clock and got four more hours sleep Left around 7 am MT feeling much better. I was still in a considerable amount of pain, but now I was "off the clock", so I could relax and take my time getting home. Home seemed a long way away. Rode through some incredible scenery out of Colorado and into New Mexico ... Just fabulous. There was no traffic, just me and the bike and the road. Then I saw the deer poop on the Interstate!!! Not only do deer get onto the main highway through Colorado, they have time to stop and poop while they do it. Part of my plan was a visit to the Capulin Volcano. I wanted to save miles but the volcano is only three miles off the direct route, and I was damn well not coming this far and missing it. http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/April%20Fools%20Rall/DSCN0367.jpg http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/April%20Fools%20Rall/DSCN0372.jpg That was the highlight ... The road up is, shall we say, interesting. Stick it in second, get to 20 mph and cruise to the top. Easy. After that I drove into the Oklahoma Panhandle and stuck it at 65 mph, hit the cruise control and did the next 400 miles. Yeah, I stooped, a lot. Just a few minutes at a time for McDonalds coffee, or just to walk around and try to relive the sore butt and the burning pain across my shoulders. Here is the tale: (This does not show the 400 mile ride from Home to Lincoln) http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/April%20Fools%20Rall/DSCN0388.jpg The Speed and Elevation Graphs show other interesting stuff. For a start, you can see where my average speed dropped significantly from a 70+ average to about 10 mph less when I took myself off the clock to cruise home. http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/April%20Fools%20Rall/SpeedandElevation.jpg Gas mileage figures are equally telling. On the ride across Nebraska and down Colorado I was hitting the speed limit most of the way (around 75 mph). From there to home I slowed to about 65 mph. The gas mileage was mid twenties on the first half, and mid to high thirties when I slowed (and lost elevation). My home is at 600 feet, the high point was eight thousand feet. Route: http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/April%20Fools%20Rall/RallyRoute.jpg Home ... Tired, hurting, happy http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/April%20Fools%20Rall/DSCN0389.jpg Postscript: I have an older Saddlemen Road Sofa on the bike, and the VentureLine Back Rest. They are good for about five hundred miles which, in the field of motorcycle seats, is very good. However, they are not good enough for multiple one thousand mile days, they don't even come close. The answer is a Russell Day-Long, but I can't afford one. I am working with the LD Riders on a solution, and I'll let you know when I have it cracked. I will fix this because in July I need to be fit to ride about 4500 miles in 100 hours, and I can't do that on my current set-up. On the other hand, I rode through six States and 1700 miles in 48 hours. Apart from the discomfort, it was a truly fabulous trip. There are more pics in the album
  17. I was in need of a new Speedo and I found a whole dash assembly on an ebay auction that I won for $32.00. WOW cheap right?? Yeah I thought so too but there was one draw back. The speedo was a KPH speedo and not a MPH speedo. It was so cheap, I decided to go ahead and get it anyway with the thoughts of maybe switching out the face of the speedo with my old face so the MPH would be the larger numbers. I tried this and unfortunately, the Speedo is off by about 5-7 MPH when check via GPS. Looks for now that I'll have to put the original KPH face back on and just deal with looking at the smaller numbers for MPH. My question is this, will this throw off the actual mileage of the bike (i rolled the dials of new speedo to match my mileage) even though I'll be driving following the MPH numbers on the dial. Just not sure if the mileage will tick by faster or slower since it's a KPH speedometer. Also, is there a way to calibrate this speedometer to match my MPH dial and to have the odometer roll for mileage and not kilometers? Thanks guys and gals! Jay Hope
  18. Finally got to ride my new (to me) 2008 Venture today as the thermometer reached 56 degrees and the roads were free of ice and snow. a few questions.: 1. engine was not as smooth as my GL1500 (which was expected) but also not as smooth as my FJR with main complaint being a handlebar buzz at 80 mph. Is this typical? 2. I definitely need a tach. 3. how do I switch the radio from speakers to headphones? thx in advance for any help. mark in MN
  19. Yesterday as I left work, I looked to the east where home is & saw very dark clouds. I thought, "Guess I'll be in quite the downpour by the time I get home." I also noticed it was quite cold. (My Gerbing's heated gloves are a joy.) So, as I reach the plateau (where I live), it's hailing. No big deal. Well, about a half-mile ahead it decides to dump with an accumulation of about a half-inch. Whoa! Tires a-slippin' & a slidin'. I'm down to a crawl between 5-10 mph, as are all the cagers. OK, I'm thinking I should just pull into the high school parking lot & park, call my wife at home & tell her she needs to pick me up there. Can't. No one will let me get into the right lane to turn into the lot. OK, maybe I can make it down the hill without an incident & go kind of the long way around to get home. Yeah, it's a flatter route once I get down that hill. I'm trying to stay in the tire tracks of the cagers while I'm thinking that everyone must think, "What is that guy doing? He must be an idiot riding a motorcycle in this kind of weather." All is well, so far. Now I'm at the light ready to turn left with the green arrow & this turn is about a 120 degree turn, with hail covering the ground, with wide wet painted lines for the crosswalk that I can hardly even see. "OK. I can do this. I hope." Going about 2-3 mph through this turn. Ah, made it. I'm puttin' along in 2nd gear (usually do this road in 4th). Half a mile later I must go through a round-about & make my exit at the 3rd right (270 degrees, 3/4 of the way around). Again, I'm only going walking speed through this round-about. OK, almost home. Only a 1/4 mile to go. I've got to start going uphill & then turn left into my driveway. Oh man, not looking forward to this. Driveway totally covered in hail. Successfully turn into driveway, tap my brakes twice to open the garage door, paddle through a 3 point turn so I can back into the garage. Yippee! Home safe. Sheesh! Talk about pucker power. Still icy this morning. Took the 4wd truck to work.
  20. I am looking to install some kind of audio/speaker system on my 1998 Tour Classic. (I really want to get rid of the ear buds.) What sort of systems have you found that will produce good sound at 80 mph without sounding like a transistor radio? Shark has a system that is pretty inexpensive, but when I listen the the videos that they have, the system sounds just OK. Thoughts??!!??
  21. Hello. Not a big nut on my bike but decided to see wat kinda umphhh my 86 Venture Royale 1300cc had the other day in the first few gears. WOW! I hit over 60 mph in second gear in a short time. Im impressed! RR
  22. Guys, I have owned my RSTD for just under a month. I owned and rode lots of enduro bikes as a young man, have had Kawasaki, Yamaha, and H-D road bikes. At 55 years old, I thought that I knew how to ride albeit it has been a few years since I owned my last. I wrote to you about the whine in the bike, at which MPH and in which gear. There was a boat load of advice about allowing the engine to wind out a bit. One poster responded that he never uses 5th gear until 75 mph. I should have just listened. Yesterday my wife and I took about a 4 hour ride. I just gave way to trust in your advice. I ran along in 3rd gear up until just over 40mph. I used 4th the rest of the time except when we traveled on the 4 lane turnpike at 65 - 75 mph and then used 5th. It was one of the most comfortable and good feeling rides I have ever taken on a bike. That little engine just seems to cook right along just as happy as can be at those rpm's & wheel speed. Thanks for the advice. OH, and by letting it rev a little more in each gear, almost no whining whatsoever. Thanks for the great advice. R.
  23. Does anyone know what hiway rpms are on the 2 gen(2007) rsv are say at 75 mph? thanks, Allen
  24. Can anybody tell me if the difference in the Canada/US speedo is just the faceplate, (so all working parts identical) just the speedo/Odometer cluster or if the front wheel part is different? I would imagine cross referencing part numbers would tell me but I don't know how to get that information. I don't think it is just the faceplate.....they don't quite seem to line up i.e. 12 o'clock high is 55 mph on US bike....but about 67 mph on Can. bike Mind you, I am comparing Mk I(canadian) to Mk II (US) The speedo works on my (Canadian) 84 but the odometer does not. I have a US speedo to put in (thanks to a member here) but I'm not sure if it will read correctly. .
  25. Geesh, last summer it was one clocked at 142 MPH. Last fall it was one at 148 MPH. The other day the record was broken again. 158 MPH on a four lane road and Interstate. The only thing not running WOT is the brain. OMAHA, Neb. -- Jonathan Goodburn, 20, faces numerous charges after being clocked going 158 mph and leading police on a high-speed chase on his motorcycle. Now Goodburn and his family regret his split-second decision. Nebraska State Patrol troopers spotted Goodburn with a group of about 20 other motorcyclists driving at a high rate of speed near 156th Street and West Dodge Road Saturday night. Authorities eventually arrested him along Highway 36 near Cunningham Lake. Goodburn's mother, Chris Goodburn, admits her son made a major mistake by taking off and not stopping for police. "Once he got in far enough that he was already running, he was trying to figure out when he should stop," she said. Capt. Bret Friesz with the Nebraska State Patrol said the chase lasted 24 minutes and traveled 32 miles. Goodburn was clocked at 158 mph at one point. "It was probably a one-minute bad decision that drug out over 24 minutes," said Friesz. Goodburn called his mother from jail while KETV NewsWatch 7 was interviewing her Monday. "He says he's sorry that he put other people's lives in danger," said Chris Goodburn. She said the split-second decision cost her son his job. He was expected to be in court on Tuesday. Goodburn told his mother that he's learned his lesson. "His lesson that he'd want to share with everybody is don't do it, it's not worth it," said Chris Goodburn. Read more: http://www.ketv.com/news/28879564/detail.html#ixzz1VDrpD6Fk