Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. While one of the advantages to running a car tire on your bike is longevity, don't forget maintenance. The other day I left dinner with a group of friends, just like I have done many times in the past. Pulled out into traffic shifted to second gear and heard the sound that sounded like ball bearings in a blender. I coasted over into the left turn lane and came to a stop. One of my buddies pulled up along side of me and asked what was wrong. I looked at him and said, I'm in second gear, both feet are on the ground, my hands are in the air, the engine is running, and I'm not moving!!! Your guess is as good as mine. So we pushed the bike off the road and into the parking lot and shut it down. Luckily for me I was close to help. My buddy went home and grabbed his trailer, (about 3 miles away) and we took the bike to his house. Now comes the problem. We removed the rear wheel, and found the splines on the clutch hub, (the gear on the wheel that connects to the rear differential) was stripped clean. This is why regular maintenance is essential. After further thought, my rear wheel had not been removed from the bike for 30k miles. When I was running a M/C tire and changing it every 8k to 10k miles, that hub was getting cleaned and greased regularly. Fortunately there was no wear or damage to the differential and $104 later for a new hub and dust seal, I was back on the road. Just thought I would share this little bit of info. If it saves just one person from braking down on the road, my job is done.
  2. Well, I was doing some regular maintenance on QuickSilver the other day, just getting ready for the Ohio Carnival next week, and while I had the rear wheel off to change the tire I figured it was about time to finally check the drive shaft for lube. I know some folks here think this needs to be done every two weeks or so , but not me! I haven't pulled the drive shaft even once in 80,000 miles, and from what I saw, there really wasn't much need to do it now. There was not a ton of grease in there, but enough. It was clear that Yamaha used a moly grease when they put it together, and there were no visible signs of abnormal wear. So I just added a touch more 5% moly and put it all back together for another 80,000 miles. It really wasn't too hard to get the drive shaft back in the U-joint with the help of another member who just happened to be around while I was working (THANX Formerfuzz!). The trick was to simply put the transmission in gear and have someone else turn the final drive gears while I held the drive unit and tried to generally center the shaft on the U-joint. Here's a tip for when you get ready to do this - first, pull the drive hub/fingers from the rear wheel (which you should be doing to lube the drive fingers anyway), and use that hub for your helper to turn the gears/drive shaft while you hold the drive unit and try to insert the drive shaft into the u-joint. After you get the drive housing back in place, you can finish greasing the drive fingers and putting the hub back in the wheel. Since I hadn't done this before and I had already greased up the drive hub, I just wrapped a rag around a 2x4 and jammed it into the drive splines to turn the gears. Goose
  3. I've seen a few different ideas for hub caps on 8" wheels. Don't know if anybody has tried this. I had a front hub cap from my semi kicking around, it measures 8 3/4" same as the outside lip of 8" wheel. There's a small gap between the wheel and the cap about an 1/8" but it's really hard to pull back off. Can't give it the acid run right now( few to many icy patches).
  4. Anyone have one chrome wheel trim hub from their RSV laying around they dont need? I need the non-weighted side. This is the hub that bolts over the front brake rotor. Thanks, Jeff
  5. Trying to plan for some events this year along with a vacation and was just wondering if there will a Eureka Springs Hub rally this year and if so about what time of year will it be.
  6. ken

Moly 60.

I plan to grease up every thing in the rear end and the driveshaft of my RSV while the tires off for some fresh rubber. Should I use moly 60 on all the gears and the hub fingers or should I used bearing grease on the hub gears and fingers?
  7. OK, I'm sure this is nothing but......I found the attached fragement of metal in an area where I have been working on my 2nd Gen rear hub. I've done the following:- Remove hub and shaft from bike. Pulled shaft out of hub and regreased both ends, replace checking spring was in place. Remove hub gear wheel from hub after removing circlip and dust cover for regreasing. Now I'm sure this fragement has come from somewhere else as it is so clean, but just thought I'd check in case anyone hase see anything like it before from the rear end of one of these bikes. Its clearly broken at one end and has a tapering V groove on one side. I hope the pics are good enough for identification. All help gratefully recieved. Cheers
  8. Here is a few photos of the Pie in the face fund raiser for ST. Jude's. We had a lot of fun at the Hub and glad everything went well.. Thanks goes to Cindy for planning this. And those who volunteer for us to watch. The girls had a lot of fun too ...LOL Rick - Sarge46 John - Dooder1 Dale - Midnightrider Randall - Owner of the Hub Marilyn - Sarge46 better half Mike - mikeC Karl - Ic23b Don - FreeBird Cindy - Cinderella Hal-HALRSV99 Venturerider Mascot
  9. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu7YCBTP2g8&feature=grec_index]YouTube - Motorcycle engine for a USB hub[/ame]
  10. well, not quite trailer, sidecar really. My leaning sidecar came originally with a 480x8 wheel with integral hub, I am upgrading this to a separate hub and wheel combo from Northern Tool. Here's the rub, when I install everything there is a hump like you would have on a spoke wheel with the spokes adjusted wrong. If the swingarm is somehow not perfectly even, would the tire not still track straight albeit under an angle Am I correct in assuming that if the hub is cast incorrectly the whole wheel would run under an angle? Could the wheel rim be warped? What would the effect of this (sideways) wobble be at high speed with this size tire? I am trying to get the side car back on the bike and run it before next weekend's March on Rome, so I am kind of pushing on this to get it re-attached and aligned. Thanks for any feedback! And have a great Labor Day weekend!!
  11. While doing the vmax rear swap I noticed my wheel hub's teeth are about 1/3 worn off. Plenty of Mk1 wheels on Flebay. Will a good hub from one of these fit a Mk2? What about Vmax or 2nd gens? Inquiring minds want to know.
  12. having a great time down here at the hub. great turn out and some much needed time off. every one showed up safely. haven,t seen lowel yet. hope he makes it here. dooder said he did'nt get his bike fixed yet. as usual randall and debbie have been great hosts. just got back to the room after our late night party. some may feel the pain in the morning. big day tomorrow. may run in to eureka springs. hey don annies buddy is still down here and getting all the loving we can give her. bill
  13. if you need something fun to do next weekend check out the hub rally on the calender 29th, 30th, and 31st. great riding and lots of commeraderie. and you will get to meet some very special people. ( fellow venture riders). :clap2:
  14. if you haven't already, check out my regional rally at the hub next week july 29th, 30th, and 31st, at the hub motorcycle resort in arkansas. nothing fancy just a nice get together of venture riders and friends. lots of great riding, scenery, commeraderie, in the heart of the ar. mountains. hope to see you there. more info under regional rallies. bill
  15. me and a good friend went to fort smith, ar. today, and got lost going and coming. we left at 7 am and just got home after midnite. some how we ended up at the hub and ate dinner. than we stopped in steelville, mo. and picked up my cushman scooter winter project. it was the trip from hell. the folks at the hub are looking forward to seeing our group again and i saw our rally tshirt on the restaurant wall from last year. back to the hub again in 2 weeks. can't wait. bill
  16. i am going to put on a meet at the hub in arkansas. i just talked to randall at the hub and he said these dates were open with no other big events scheduled. july 29th, 30th, and 31st. randall has the meet dates on record. now if i can get vacation for that week which i should know by tomorrow, these dates will be written in stone, and folks that want to attend can start making reservations. i will have that information posted. hope this works out cuz i'm really looking forward to it. we had such a good time at the international at the hub last year, that this will probably be my annual arkansas event instead of my st. charles meet and eat, as long as i can still do it. bill :clap2:
  17. well as hard as i tried i just can't sit on the side lines and not have a meet this year. i would like to have a meet at the hub again. no date planned as yet, and it is just going to be a get together of old friends. we did it last year in preparation for the international and had a great time. it will be nothing fancy. no prizes, no frills , just a good old sit around and chew the fat and random ride get together. let me know if your interested. i will have to contact randall at the hub to see what dates are available. i'm figuring a thursday, friday, and saturday. i don't care if we have 10 people turn out, or 100, it will be a blast. i will officially post a date as soon as i get with the hub. i'm open for suggestions on dates. bill :clap2: ps. i talked to lowell yesterday and he said let him know when. like to see you texans up there again.
  18. I had Time Warner take their hub out today and I installed my own. I've been putting this off for over a month because of the horror stories I've read about. I bought an "inexpensive" Linksys hub ($30) and plugged it in, my laptop recognized it immediately and my Dell had to have the NetGear software reloaded. The entire operation took about 10 minutes. All 3 puters are up and running at a $15 a month savings.
  19. Anybody heard from JB lately? I sent him an email have not heard anything back yet? Was wondering how JB & Robbie are doing. Last we saw them was at the International Rally at the Hub. ? Buddy
  20. Hello everyone, Well it's getting to be that time of year when we all think about getting the bikes ready. I'm changing tires for the first time on the Venture and wanted to lube the hub splines when i have the rear wheel off. I can remember something about using a Honda lube of somekind. Would someone please refresh me as to what I should use. I understand its suppost to be the best. Thanks and have a safe summer Frank
  21. While out for a ride yesterday, I thought I heard a rhythmic squeak at low speed once in a while. I was 50 miles from home so I decided to run it home. Everything seemed fine at highway speeds, so I wasn't overly concerned. I thought it was the splines in the drive hub dry so I ran it in the shop to grease it. As I was removing the wheel I found it strange that the castle nut on the axle was barely finger tight. When I pulled the axle out I was very surprised as it was only 7 inches long with a nicely rounded end. The other end was still sticking out of the hub! I had to remove the final drive from the swing arm to get the wheel off the bike. Apparently the bearing was jamming at times and started rotating the end of the axle shaft. When I drove the axle out the inner race is still stuck on the shaft. Darn good thing the pinch bolt on the right side was tight so that end of the axle could not fall out. I don't even want to think of the concequences of something like that happening at highway speed. Now it looks like I'm going to have a fun time getting the outer race removed from the wheel. The right hand bearing came out reasonably easy. I just bought an axle from Pinwall Cycle and will have to order the bearings and seals from Yamaha Monday. By the way the splines have plenty of grease on them.
  22. My friends are figuring out a trip to AR in the middle of October. One proposed stop is at Cliff House, which is right down the road from The Hub. How was the riding around The Hub? We're mostly passing through on Hwy 17 and Hwy 74. Food recommendations in the area? Anyone ever stay at Cliff House? It looks very nice. Dave
  23. going to pick the dates for the hub meet next year. remember this is not the international rally. july and august are out, too hot! need some ideas on this, the majority may rule. we had a great time at the international this year ,so i have decided to do it again. it will be a no frills meet, a just come down let your hair down and relaxed get together. i need to get a date set so i can contact randll at the hub, so we can secure the motel reservations. they have other groups lined up. randall will take care of our group. i know it is early but i want everyone to have plenty o notice so they can plan ahead and make reservations. so give me some kick back. thanks, bill
  24. For people that didn't make it to the Hub but would like to see what the roads were like here is some video. The riding doesn't start until about a minute in. I forgot to mount the camera ahead of time. The camera was mounted to my left side highway peg so it looks like I'm over the yellow line when I wasn't. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZV64-QvJRc]YouTube - Ar1[/ame] Hope this works, I've never posted a video before.
  25. don mentioned to me at the 09 rally, that he would like to do a meet at the hub next year. well i'm chompin at the bit already. it won't be an international rally. some one else can do that. it will be a 4 day get together. no raffles, no prizes, no registration fee, no catered meal, no shirts or patches, no planned rides, just a barbeque one night, and a good old let your hair down and relax meet, at a little cooler time. since don is on vacation at vogel right now i thought i would mention this to see how many folks would like to see this happen. we had so much fun and commaraderie this year and the hub is a wonderful place for a big meet. how many of you folks would be interested in attending? just curious.