Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. Not a favorite, just a road report. Ride: July 2009, Weekday, PM Gas Available: Loma, Rangely. Direction: South Avg Speed: 70 Flora: Farm, high desert, pine/fir to Pinion. Fauna Encounters: 1 mule deer in the mountains Subjective Temp: cool. Road Condition: Generally good. No construction. Once past the farms in Loma, straights and sweepers take you into the mountains where sweepers and tighter corners are found. Out of the mountains more straights and sweepers. All corners are well marked with no suprises. Cars Passing Same Direction: few Cars Passed Same Direction: few Cars Passed Opposite Direction: slow drip Smokeys seen: 0
  2. When I bought my 83VR in December I had no idea what oil was being used in it. I changed it using 20w50 Valvoline regular motorcycle oil. I would like to chance to synthetic oil. In the past when I tried to use synthetic oil in cars that had some miles on them they leaked oil quite badly. My 83 has 48000 miles in it. Do you think it would be safe to go to synthetic?
  3. And the hits just keep on coming. So the battery showed up today (thanks skydoc_17) and I put it in and she fired right up. Just as a double check since I was there I checked for charging voltage and I only had 12.30. I increased the idle and it only went up .2-.3 volts and the longer it ran the lower the voltage dropped. My background being with cars not motorcycles I'm asking here, where do you start with these? Is there fuses for the charging system on these or do I go straight to the regulator?
  4. My wife got a coupon on cyber Monday for 20% off the Dale Jarrett Racing Adventure so she signed me up. So on Febuary 9 i'll be at Talladega Superspeedway to do 20 laps, driving 10 with a instructor and 10 by my self in cars that do do up to 185 MPH. Is that going to be fun or what, i canted wait.
  5. Went on a road trip through the NE corner of Pennsylvania last weekend. Stopped at a place near Titioute on Route 6 called Simpler Times museum. Happened on it by chance, found the door to be locked, with a sign "open by appointment or chance". Just then an old timer (88) stopped by in his truck and opened up. He lives just out back, so if it's closed you can probably get him to open up.....he loves to tell you about the history of the stuff inside. Mostly old cars, trucks, gas pumps, drilling equipment and tractors. He'll charge you $4 to enter, and it's money well spent. He has quite a collection in the 5 or 6 buildings on site. I particularly enjoyed the two ancient Mac Trucks he has. One of them is chain drive. My peeps and I were glad we stopped. If you're in the area, check it out.....you'll be glad you did.
  6. As a little kid back in the 1960s, one of my favorite cartoons was The Jetsons. They had all the coolest robotic stuff to make their lives easier… Rosie the maid, the conveyor belt dog walker and especially the flying automated cars. As an adult, I see that same cartoon as a dark harbinger of our future. It should come to no one’s surprise that Congress believes that we cannot think for ourselves. In their eyes, we cannot be trusted with our own safety. In their minds, we are the unwashed masses that need constant direction and ever-present supervision. They say that it is for our own good, and we have seen it coming all along. It’s name is Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and it wants your motorcycle off the road. Former Senator Bob Letourneau had this to say when I forwarded a link to an article about Google & ITS to the MRF Reps mailing list: “We certainly talked about that at a MRF Board meeting over ten years ago when ITS was first introduced, Wayne Curtin warned the Feds that they would have to take motorcycles under consideration during development. MRF was one of the first organizations to step up and speak to this issue. I guess we are now a lot closer to reality...” What Bob was commenting on is this recent headline - Google Unveils Driverless Car Tech. A company that started out making the results of your web searches more relevant is upping the ante, and they’re holding all the cards. Instead of finding results for your search on “spark plug gap on 2002 Harley Evo engine”, they are geek-deep in self-driving car technology. In fact, a full ten percent of the folks employed by the search engine giant are dedicated to the building of autonomous vehicles. These driverless cars, completely controlled by computers, are said to be for the betterment of highway safety and traffic decongestion. The car operates with a $75,000 laser spinning around on its roof that generates a 360º, three dimensional model of the space around the vehicle and compares that information to known maps. It can then use that data in a manner that gives it omnipotence of every road and traffic light, but it also recognizes the position of every other car on the road as well as pedestrians. This all happens regardless of weather or time of day. The Google robot car recently completed a one thousand mile trek through complex city traffic and highway conditions. Nevada’s legislature recently passed legislation requiring their state Department of Motor Vehicles to create the rules that will govern these robot cars. Google has high hopes that the federal government and even other countries will follow Nevada’a lead and do the same. This scenario begs the question… what if you have outstanding parking tickets and the cops detect that you have entered one of these driverless cars? Will you then be locked in and chauffeured downtown to address your grievous crimes? Didn’t these geniuses ever see 2001: A SpaceOdyssey? I seem to remember that the primary focus of that flick was about an all-controlling computer gone rogue. Or, even better yet… don’t they remember George Jetson flying around the electric dog walker?
  7. Went out trying on cars today, thinking of this one. My daughter thinks it would suit me!
  8. Any Washington riders know of a unique restaurant experience in Ellensburg Wa. Looking for something that has a unique and interesting decor for conversation. Variety of food average or better, not interested in expensive foods but rather tasty. My wife and I are planning a day's ride this Sunday. Supposed to be mostly sunny. in the mids 60s. Starting out from Buckley, Wa To Enumclaw Chinook Pass (Beautiful Views) Tipsoo lake (Nice Twisty Roads) Take a few pictures Top of Chinook Pass ( More pictures) Long Canyon Road Beautiful Naches Yakima Hwy 821 - This is an increable road that litterly follows the Yakima River bend for bend. Just map Ellensburg Wa to Yakima Wa. It will route you on hwy 82 Then drag the route in the middle to the river just to the left. Thats hwy 821. Eat in Ellensburg Return trip Follow route back to Naches Hwy 12 all the way to Packwood Along the Cowlitz River Past Rimrock Lake Top of White Pass At Packwood Take Skate Creek Road to (map Packwood Wa to Elbe Wa) Used to be a dirt service road now paved. (nice 20 + mile ride) Maybe Dinner at Copper Creek Inn. I usually pull off the road Near Alder Lake State park To allow the cars ahead of me a few minutes. When the next set of cars comes around the sweeping corner I quickly take off for the next few miles of great short quick twisties along the Canyon. And with no cars ahead of me, hopefully. I think there is only one side road Where a car could get in front of me. Then Home thru Eatonville, Graham, Orting, South Prairie, Buckley. Should be about 335 miles. Get home just probably after the sun set. Get to try out some of my new lights. I plan on taking my Drift HD170 and film the best parts on a 32 gig card. Hopefully I can operate the Stop and Record on the remote with my gloves on. Anyone interested let me know.
  9. Have recently decided to put a stop on all of my discretionary spending... Will be dedicating it to essential needs and of course trips on the bike... No pontoon boats or new cars...
  10. My son and I are working on a car convention for Minnesota this July. Host hotel is in St. Cloud, and we are looking for great driving roads and motor enthusiast attractions in the area. Restaurant suggestions are also wanted. We are renting Brainerd, so if you or others you know would be interested in a track day (sorry, cars only) contact me. We could use some help in getting enough cars to pay the bills. any and all suggestions very much appreciated.
  11. Inquiring minds want to know?! I have a 1/32 scale Ninco digital slot car layout with 82.5 feet of twisties & straights that I just got back up running after a 2.5 year busy break from it. Tomorrow I'll be tuning up my 70 chipped cars so they will run good again after sitting for 2.5 years. It will run up to 8 cars at a time on a 2 lane track with lane changers you can actuate for your car from your controller. Very cool racing action! My layout has a lot of little "scenes" with exotic cars, vintage motorcycles, a gnarly biker gang, a winners circle, etc... I guess I'm really into cars since I also have a 1/43 (mostly), 1/24, & 1/18 scales metal die-cast car, bus, truck, 4WD, motorcycle...collection with 350+ vehicles. I've been trying to break into the model railroading scene. About 3 years ago I bought most everything I need to make an HO layout with enough engines & rolling stock for about 8 complete trains. At this point I'm seriously considering trying to turn my HO stuff into N scale stuff & doing an N scale layout (room/size constraints in my house). Anyways, these are some of my hobbies. Is anyone else out there into any of this stuff too? Doug Nordin
  12. ok... here is where I show my age .... I know little to nothing about these hi-tec fancy things...... My wife will read anything anywhere and numerous times over. If I had a dollar for every book she has bought in the last 30+ years I would likely be able to retire now. Not complaining... if she had the money I spent on cars and motorcycles... she would have a lot more books. I see these book readers... I think they look great but do not know anything about them or how one get the books loaded on and costs. What is a good one what is a bad one if I was to get her one for Christmas..... Any help................
  13. ...both cars got me VERY FRUSTRATED with where auto digital technology is going...... So, my lady's lease is up on her RX350 and she still tolerates me enough to be invited along to go test riding with her. We took the Q5 and the new RX350 out this weekend. Both are within a grand of each other, but Lexus might give her a slightly better lease for being a return customer, so price not the issue. The newer Lexus grew an inch everywhere and so I wanted her to consider the Audi because it is smaller than the RX350 and because I thought her current one was kind of big to begin with. BUT this is my frustration; it is on the same topic that I've been complaining about to her whenever I get in her car. And that is that these high tech cars actually make driving more cumbersome, they actually make you less attentive to the road. I can operate all the controls on my cheapo GM car way faster than on her car while doing the exact same thing. For example, changing the climate controls on her Lexus can involve up to five hits on the touch screen, which involves reaching to the dash up to five times; whereas on my car I can practically do it without looking. Additionally, the same thing with the GPS; which I was cursing last weekend on a trip to Toronto with her; if I had my cheapo Garmin I surely would have been 5 minutes faster finding our address. So NOW we go to the new Q5 and the RX350 and here is my big beef...on both these cars they have this mouse control stick on the right hand console near the gear shift. It has buttons around the mouse to click your selections. To operate the environment controls and GPS (and much more) you have to move the mouse controller and make your selections using the surrounding buttons, and that involves watching the mouse track along on the screen to various menu options. So your eyes are off the road even more than before!!! PLUS, you have to train yourself on all this. That means that anybody getting into the car cannot quickly operate something. We did a lot of internet surfing on these cars before hand. Auto reviewers say that these digital systems are the most intuitive yet. I say TO HECK with them. My biggest beef about this new technology is how UNintuitive it is. So when I hopped into both these cars I didn't let the sales guys show me how they worked. I wanted to see if I could do it as a total stranger to the system, and let me tell you I'd have to sit there for 5 minutes just to access the GPS or change the temperature....absolutely stupid. The only answer that the sales guys had for my frustration was that these systems can do everything with voice commands. Well, so what, that is the same voice system on her car now and she could never get it working because it would never recognize her commands from one day to the next. PLUS even if the car got trained on her voice, then it would be totally useless for the next guy that got in it...like me. I'm so flippin exasperated about this; I'm surprized that the auto consumer hasn't given more negative feedback about this. Has anyone had any experience with these systems? You can all forget about the you're "getting too much like an old fart, Swifty" replies...cuz I'm smart and I know it...just ask Tuckett.
  14. Last year I was stumped :scratchchin:on what this was all this was about, So I did my research and it only took a year to get it just right. but it makes since now. There is a method to this madness !!! At first I could not figure out what the difference was with Polishing and Waxing. then found out about cleaning clays. (what's that?) *lol* So basically vintage cars and Trike in my case. WASH Trike/Car Use cleaning clay to remove all the rest of any surface dirt. Use Polish (1) (2) or (3) after that to remove any surface scratch marks and finely WAX . There are different polish and wax applicators as well. All used with Griots Orbitals I use mostly the 3" on the Trike and I also have the 6 " for the Vintage cars. Today it is real humid out so I am doing this in the Garage with the Air Conditioner running. Man oh Man what a difference in the paint job after doing this the correct way. Rather than the basic way-- wash and slapping wax on. AMAZING !! So Shinny !! Jeff
  15. this past month 7 motorcyclist were killed within an hour of my house. two couples were taken out at one time by one car. I didn't know any of them but it sure was close to home. Each one was killed because a car driver wasn't paying attention or doing something stupid. the only exception to this was a young man who hit a cow on a sport bike. there is just too many cars out there, be careful.
  16. I stopped by to see a customer today in Knox, PA. While talking, I noticed a picture of a '68 Plymouth Roadrunner convertible on the wall beside his desk. I asked him if that was one that he wished he had kept and he said...Heck...I still have it. Turns out that he is a big Mopar fan. He asked if I wanted to see some old cars and of course I did. We ended up walking through 3 buildings full of early to late 60 Mopars and a couple of early 70 models. This was a very nice guy dressed in Dickie's work clothes and you would think that he was just any regular guy but he had probably close to a million dollars worth of cars in those buildings. Not junk...NICE cars. Most were in very nice original condition or very lightly restored. He had 2 Roadrunner convertibles, 2 beautiful Superbirds, a number of early sixty Satellites, 300's, etc. A couple of early 70 Challengers and several other great cars. All had original engines and most were 383, 440, etc. It was a real treat to walk through and see the cars, sit in them and remember the muscle cars from my teen years. You just never know what you are going to run into.
  17. I've been off work this week burning last of my vacation time for the year. As it's been a dreary week, cloudy and raining most the time I've spent a lot of time in the garage working on little things on the bike. Last of all a new set of pads all the way around. I'll post a couple of pics on that story later. LOL! Got my moneys worth out of the last set for sure. But I figured it was NOT raining today so a trip out to check the bike and seat the new pads would be a good thing. Almost ended up poorly. I rode for a few hours and stopped by my store to pickup my security keys for Monday. Stopped and BS'd for a while with some co-workers and they followed me outside when I was leaving to look at the bike. As we talked I was gearing up, armored jacket, leather gloves and the full face helmet and they were giving me static about all the gear, as usual. I just laughed it off and said "Parking lots are the most dangerous place for a biker." Not all that far off really ya know. I had just pulled away from them and as I turned into a lane through the lot I saw two sets of brake lights light up in two cars across from each other and as quick as the lights came on the backup lights lit up also. I hit the brakes and stopped as fast as I could. (YEA!! New pads!) Both cars shot out of their parking spots and met with a pretty good impact that crushed both rear quarters, folded the bumpers and sent pieces of taillight flying everywhere......all about 3 feet in front of where I sat. WoW! Cool! My co-workers came running over as I put down the side stand a waited for the cars to decide what they were going to do. All I could do was laugh and say, "See, what did I just tell ya!" Both drivers left their cars where they were and got out. A couple of Blue Hairs. You know... the ones that do 15 mph under the limit in a 25 mph zone. They had more speed backwards than they do going forward. They decided to exchange info before moving the cars out of the way. Now they are moving at the speed of mud as they do this. I'm just shaking my head and laughing. So the Cager Club Sandwich ..... Hold the Yamaha, makes sense now right? So where does the "Dip" come in? That would the three cars that pulled into the lane behind me, RIGHT behind me a felt the need to sit there and lay on the horns. Dips would be a nice term for them. I had a couple of other names for them but nobody would want that with a sandwich. I'm not a lil fella at 6'3" and dressed in full gear. I pulled my helmet off and walked back to each car and made my statment, "Ya'll back your a$$ up and go on your way. NOW!!" That worked, I love that Bambi in the headlights look, I really do. Some people say I have a nice smile. My daughter says it looks like I'm showing my teeth. Well, whatever, the effect works. LOL! So the lil old Blue Hairs both came over and asked me if I saw what happened. They both were fishing for a witness. "Yep, I did. And if either one of you contact me to be a witness I will gladly come to court and be a witness for the OTHER driver. You both screwed up!" So that sort of set the whole thing off and I was starting to see a remake of the famous Star Wars lightsaber fight with a couple of Yoda Blue Hairs and canes. Eww! So I rolled back and made my way out of the lot. Slowly. Safely. Back to the safe harbour of my garage. Ahh, Home. So folks, keep your eyes moving in the parking lots ok. Things happen fast in very little space. A few more feet and at best, I would have been rebuilding my front forks ....again. Ya see that Earl!!! Won't be needing anymore parts for a while! Ya'll ride safe, Mike
  18. Just put this on, and it will start the show itself. Turn up your speakers! Someone did an awesome job putting this together and with sound to boot. At the very end of the video you'll hear the song 'Thunder Road,' sung by the star of the movie for which it was the theme! Not uncommon, except this is the one and only song ever recorded, for publication, sung by Robert Mitchum! Cars we drove in the 50's and 60's.....click on line below. http://cruzintheavenue.com/CarsWeDrove.htm
  19. Yammy

Bear

What do you do when traffic has stopped because people are feeding the bears? I've never come across that senerio on my bike but have wondered that if? What would or should I do? When driving over the rockies some years back at least a dozen bears were walking boldly amongst the cars. People throwing food out the windows. Some people were even out of there cars taking pictures! Glad I wasn't on my bike. So, what do you do?
  20. your engines Its go time. This marks the beginning of the riding season for me. When the cars hit the track, I know its getting close.....
  21. Kissimmee, Fl. 1-26 to 30, 2011 www.mecum.com going with 5 friends, 4 cars for sale, none mine, going to look around at the cars, quite the show they tell me.
  22. I voted, and what a zoo. I got to the poles at 6:58 and was already #13 in line. I have been voting at the same location for the last 30 years and have never missed any vote. In the last 30 years I have never been higher than #5, the #5 was because I was a couple of minutes late one year. By the time I finished with my ballot there were about 30 people in line waiting to vote. I've never seen a line in 30 years. I pass 2 other polling places on the way in to work and they both had a lot of cars in the parking lot, One of the places the lot was full and cars parked both sides of the street for 2 blocks in each direction. If what I saw in the first half hour is any indication, the estimate of 50% turnout may be way low. There are some hot button issues here in WI. Get out there and vote. If you are in Chicago, Vote early and often......
  23. Hi all. Does anyone know of a shop/dealer in the Cleveland, OH area that sells and installs side cars for the RSV's? I am thinking about adding one next year. Thanks in advance...
  24. I just visited their website to find the next auction. This weekend.... While on the home page I started looking at some of the cars coming up for auction in Vegas. The page showed about 4 and a half cars. Then I dragged to the left and... what a cool pic display!! You need to give it a try. http://www.barrett-jackson.com/ Scroll down to the Las Vegas logo and click and drag. It hard to discribe, and I've never seen anything like it... Hats off to the web designer...