Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. I went to change the rear tire on the '83 for my brother, and when I finally got the tire off the rim, I saw that the Ride-On in the tire had dried up and turned into a big mess. First when I went to break the bead loose, it was much harder than normal to break, and when it finally gave in, a big cloud of dust came out of the tire. It seemed that the Ride-On had glued the tire to the rim. I worked on cleaning the rim with water and a wire brush, but the Ride-On didn't disolve comletely. Anybody have any ideas on what to use to help clean up the rim? On the Ride-On web site, they say that it wont dry up, but obviously they aren't telling the complete truth. In their defense, the Avon tire has been on the bike for 8 years and 22,000 miles, but......
  2. Guest

84 Venture

thinking about going over to the darkside... so, after looking at the links here, looking at the database and charts, I still do NOT know which CT might fit on my ride. I was just out in the garage, with a light, and the only "size" I see stamped on my Dunlop Elite is MU90 16 78H... Help! I get it's a 16" rim but what do them other numbers and letters mean and what CT can I put on her??? THANKS VR.org I already know that you are going to be coming through with the answer. Cheers, Mark J Haug
  3. I posted this else where and thought this might help someone else to. So copy and paste and add a little and here it is. I like doing my own, I know it is done to suit me. I changed my rear tire today. Here is how; http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=555 #1. Mark the axle position at the side with the pinch bolt line, make a line with the corner edge of a flat file and you will always have it there. Remove the rear wheel. The axle will come out easily if you turn the axle at the Allen head side (rotor side) and pull at the same time. #2. Take the valve out of the tire. Mark the valve placement with the tire location on the old tire and the new tire for location. Make sure you get the tire on in the correct rotational direction. Motorcycle tires are rotational oriented. They have arrows showing the direction of travel. If you have tires that have the balance dot, then if this is the case, the balance dot should line up with the valve and supposed to be balanced. #3. Put the wheel on some small pieces of 2" X 4" or 4" X 4" works best, one on each side of rim in a place that you can back a pick up or some vehicle up to it. #4. I used a 8' long 4"x4" and a 8" inch piece of 4"x4' to put onto the tire edge close the rim, 1/2" or so on tire edge and from the rim. Back a vehicle up to the tire location. I used a pick up with a ball hitch on it and pried under the ball mount stinger. There are tools made for this, but I do not have one yet. I am thinking of adding something to the side of my garage wall and have a friend weld me up a tool for this. #5. Put the long 4"x4" on top the short piece of 4"x4" and under the vehicle/hitch,bumper or what ever to get leverage. #6. Pry down and the tire will brake loose from the rim fairly easy on the first or second try. #7. I use a cheap set of tire irons from JC Whitney. They are 12" long and come with rim covers to keep from damaging your rim. Two sets are nice to have. Only about 10 -14 dollars a set. Remove the tire while the rim is still on the 4"x4" short pieces you laid your rim on. ( The back side is a little tricky, but will come off. I laid my tire with the brake rotor down for this part.) #8. Once you have the tire removed, use a fine wire brush to remove any black junk from the inside rim edge and inside the rim. I used a copper pipe cleaning tool. Then I used WD 40 & PB Blaster to spray on a cloth and wipe the inside of my rim. Cleans it very well after you brush the rim edge and rim on both sides. If you have a plastic 50 gallon barrel, it works great for a bench to work on the new tire and rim. #9. Now orient your tire in the correct direction of travel according to the arrows on the tire and your rim direction of forward travel. #10. Have your self some dish liquid from the kitchen (or regular tire liquid from auto store) to put on the tire edge and the rim edge. Only put the liquid on one side of the tire at a time. Start the tire on and apply pressure to a point that you will need to put the rim protectors on the rim and begin prying the tire on. Only 2-3 inches at a time. Just takes a 3-4 minutes and if you cleaned your rim and lubricated the tire and rim, no problem at all. I can put the front tire on with my bare hands and no tools. #11. Now that you have the tire on, very important to align the tire in the corect spot according to your marks or dot on the tire. Pay close attention to this as you proceed to the next step. #12. Have yourself a small ratchet strap. Put the strap on the tire in the center of the tire and cinch it up tight. Also align the tire edge and rim together as you do this. Pay attention to the markings to keep the tire in the right position. #13. Replace the air valve in the rim. Air the tire and see if it will take air, if not check for problem spot and fix it. Make sure tire is in right position. Make sure you get enough air in the tire to get it to pop onto the rim all the way (watch the fingers !). Check the rim once you hear the pop and make sure it is properly attached all the way around. If not add more air until it is. Set at proper air pressure, factory says 42 rear and 36 front. I personally go a little more because I weigh 278 lb. #14. Now clean and follow these instructions before putting the tire and wheel back on.http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13263 AND http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1705 #15. Check air pressure again and put the tire and wheel back on. Put the axle in at the mark you made and align all completely. A real good tech section on putting the wheel back on correctly is http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=515 AND http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4660 Pay special attention to properly aligning the axle to the mark you made, filed my mark into the pinch bolt line, tightening the acorn nuts and aligning the wheel and dive link properly and getting the drive shaft aligned and inside the yoke. Not sure if there is a good tire removing thread in the Tech Library. I never found one with all the information in one place. Had to skip around. So if this works then ask Freebird to put it in there. He usually will not, unless asked and there is not already an existing write up. I am not sure about that. I have been wrong before, just ask my wife. Someone else may see something I missed to, so please jump in if so. Will not hurt my feelings at all. Just trying to help out and give back to the site that has helped me so much. Thanks all. Fuzzy
  4. do they make a wider rim that will fit the 1st gens i will be getting a 1st gen hopefuly by next week and was wondering? i like wider tires on the rear just a comfort thing gives me peace of mind knowing i have more ruber on the ground just thought i would ask
  5. Anyone ever run a Dunlop 404 on the rear. I have a wheel and tire that I got from Pinwall that has a brand new 404 on it. I just wanted the extra rim for $100 bucks and was thinking about going to the darkside.
  6. If you are traveling through Eastern Arizona, you might want to tuck this info away for future reference - there is an excellent Yamaha shop in Show Low, AZ: Show Low Motorsports. I was heading back towards Texas this morning, and about 10 miles east of Show Low I blew the rear tire at 65 MPH - pretty bad, it un-beaded from the rim and the bike was virtually uncontrollable, went into a sideways 'slide' from the tire rolling off one side of the rim and it drifted into the left lane and off the side of the road before I could scrub off enough speed to get it stopped. Thankfully the oncoming traffic avoided me, and I kept it right side up! Wife was on the back, and she handled herself perfectly in the situation too - probably the only reason I kept it under control. With the tire loose from the rim, no possibility of repairing it on the side of the road. But we were wonderfully fortunate to have another rider come by who know the local area (also a Venture owner, but on one of the 'other' brands today!). Bill Poor told me about the shop in Show Low, and after we contacted them and waited a while for them to get back in touch, he decided to ride back and coordinate our rescue - a REAL class act. Hopefully we will see him on the site soon! Anyway, the shop came out and picked us up, had a tire in stock, and got us all fixed up in about 4 hours total. The final price for everything was extremely fair. I strongly recommend Show Low Motorsports! Goose
  7. I put a new rear tire on last week and found that the inside of the rim was coated with some sort of black stuff that had left corosion on the inside the rim so I cleaned the rim off with a brass brush and soap and water and there were some pretty good pits. Everything seemed ok after the tire was mounted but after the first ride it is leaking about 30 pounds a day. I am thinking maybe if I break the bead and reset it that may take care of the issue, I had thought about ride on but I was told it was no good for sealing around the rim. If this does not work does anyone have a spare rear wheel for a 2nd gen they would part with cheap?
  8. pick

Rear Tire

Just put on a new Avon, got about 3k on it. Bikes been parked for a few due to weather and it's totally flat! Filled it back up, lost pressure fast!!!!!! Put some soapy water around rim and sure enough, it is leaking around almost the entire rim. This happened once before, dealer had to r and r the tire, but it never completely stopped. This time the dealer put a tube in it to stop the leak. Any issue with running a tube on the rear tire?
  9. Well I decided to go to the darkside. Found that Discount Tire had to order the tire. When it came in their machines could not install on the MC rim. I took it to a MC shop and they mounted ok but could not get it to seat. Took it to Les Schwab (closest to house) and they tried a dozen time to get it to seat with no luck. They tried so much that it started to tear the rubber at the bead. What do I do now. Tire still on the rim but not seated. Do I return the tire (if I could), try to lube up the bead with petrolium jelly (figures less harmfull to the tire) or do I just have to go to a MC tire. Thanks for the help Wayde:bawling:
  10. Found another Vmax front rim for a decent price, this one is straight unlike last one I got. The seller did cheerfully refund money & shipping, plus didn't want rim back. $8 in scrap aluminum. Little bit of shimming and get the just broke in Avon on it and it will be one step closer to being a born again VMax. This one doesn't have red stripe though. But I do have a vinyl cutter I just got from my brother in law, so I might try cutting stripes for it. Gary
  11. Just bought an 06 VMax front wheel for the bike. It will somewhat match the rear VMax design (rear needs painted this winter) Whadda ya think. I am over the top yet?? 1st picture, as it sits now. 2nd picture is new rim, I think I will use the red rotors. 3rd is of rear rim style as it sits now. Gary
  12. Bought a Kumho powerstar and finally tore the bike down and placed CT on rear rim. Couldn't get it to take air so went to Halls tire. They sprayed with CRC and hit it with a tire seater(large volume of air in an extreemly short burst! well it partially seated. they to took it up to 70psi. still partial seat. they repeated this process several times bumping the pressure up to 80 psi until i finally said I'll 'take it home let it sit in the truck bed in this 95 deg heat and see it it seats. welp... it didn't I took tire back, they put some tire goo all around tire and rim and still only achieved a partial seat in numerous tries... 45 min worth of trying... finally concluded I did not want to get anyone hurt and it just wasn't worth it... My old motorcycle tire re-seated at 30 psi. Observations: 1. There is a raised lip on the innerside of the motorcycle rim. A car rim does not have this and in fact is rounded over. 2. Both MC and CT are 15 inches at widest part of inner tire. 3. A MC tire sidewall is thicker (3ply). 4. There is a different angle on the narrowest part of inner tire(sharper on the MC tire). Learned a long time ago if you find yourself swimming upstream and you aren't making any progress sometimes its best not to push it. Going to Cody next thursday and can bring tire along if anyone wants it for $50 Reason I was putting CT on, was I've only got 4-5/32nds tread left on front and back tires and didn't think I could ride out and back (+4000 miles) on the dunlop 404's as I already have 7800 mile on them. Last week I ordered a Dunlop E3 for front and will now have to order an E3 rear tire. Oh well... it's not going to get here in time, so, I believe I will trailer the RSV on my harbor freight trailer rated for 1200 lbs. towed behind the 2009 Toyota Corolla. I guess it isn't all bad as in this heat an AC will be much appreciated.
  13. After seeing the idea in this thread: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46995 I started looking for one. Found one from the Stratoliner S (RoadlinerS wheel is also the same)that was polished. Ultimately decided this was easier (and cheaper) than buying the painted Strat/Roadliner wheel and having it either polished or chromed. Was able to get the complete rim with tire and rotors. The Strat and Roadliner rotors are full floaters so will be ideal when I do the caliper upgrade. The tire is 130/70R-18. Its a radial and only has a 63H load rating (600lbs) versus the stock 150/80-16 71H loadrating (761 lbs). Haven't worked out yet how big a deal that is going to be if any as of yet. 130/70-18 is the same size front tire as the wing and it has the same load rating. Since no one makes a 15" radial motorcycle rear tire, my choices are to run mixed radial front with bias rear or purchase a 130/70-18 Bias Dunlop E3 Front although the recommended rim width for the Bias E3 in that size is only 3 inches and the Strat rim is 4" wide. There is a 140-80R -18 front radial that is close to the stock OA diameter and width and fits a 4" wide rim. That would fill out the fender more. Riding it, there doesn't seem at this point to be any noticable ill effects from the Size, radial, bias mix. That being said I'm in SOuth Florida- 11 turns in 318 miles- Not sure what it will feel like in the mountains or pushing it hard. The Slow speed handling is noticably improved as would be expected from the smaller tire. It looks to be over all about .8 inches shorter in OA height, something I don't really want, but it is what its unless I replace the tire. These are all the caveats I can think of at the moment. As I ride it more may have some more input. Put some pictures here and put them all in a gallery. RSTDdog
  14. I have a few scratches in my front rim that I would like to fix. Other then sanding and polishing is there another way to fix the scratches. Or is sanding and polishing the best? If so whats the best polish to use?
  15. Well, my first DS tire finally wore down and I'm continuing to ride the DarkSide. 19000 miles. Friday when I took my tire to get mounted the guy at the shop told me it was illegal to mount CTs on motorcycles. I asked to see the law. He shut up. First they took the old tire off, got the new one on the rim. He didnt clean the gunk off and used hardly any lube. I specifically told him do NOT go about 80psi and to inflate slowly. He proceeded to tell me he was the mechanic. Well he inflated it to 60 and let the air out, then staddled the tire bouncing it as another mechanic inflated it to somewhere between 80-100 psi and BOOM, the tire blew. We were all in the shop and I checked to make sure they were ok. Fortunately they were. The guy started cussing at me like I made it blow. I took my rim and went out bought another DS tire and took it to another shop. He cleaned the rim, lubed it up real good and inflated to 60psi 3 times and then to 65psi and set it in front of a heater and it seated with no problem. So after all said and done my 2nd DS tire ended up costing just as much as a MC tire. Tire #1 $62.00 Tire #2 $83.00 Shop#1 $50.00 (Didn't feel like arguing considering my bike was on the rack) Shop#2 $25.00 (mounting the tire on the rim) Total $220.00
  16. While changeing the oil today I noticed oil around both sides of my front tire rim, any clues as to what it could be. I have never added brake fluid and if a seal went on my forks I don't think it would land on both sides of the front rim? couldn't see where it was coming from I cleaned it off and so far it hasn't returned. My brakes are working in the front as well and the fluid is ok in the sight glass.
  17. After seeing Eagleeye's bike, reading everything I could find, pro and con, talking to the pro'ers and the con'er's, and thinking about it for the past year, I've gone and put a car tire on mine, a 2007 venture. The guy that put the tire on the rim said it was harder to get the E-3 off than to put the Kuhmo on. Said all he did was put a tube in the Kuhmo, aired it up really big and laid it in the sun (90 degree day) for a few hours. He then took the tube out and mounted the tire using Dawn to slick up the rim. Said he beat it a little but didn't really have a problem. The tire was so balanced, he din't have use any weights. I've ridden with my wife on the bike, about 150 miles on it at 42 lbs air. The roads were twisties for the most part. The tire did great! My wife said it felt smoother than the E-3 did over the same roads. Looking forward to the next 25,000 miles Cheers, Steve
  18. This was a picture of my wife and I last year on vacation at fossill rim , on our way to Albeque Ballon festivle in New Mexico .
  19. I am a new member, having recently purchased a 2005 RSTD here in Australia. I have been looking at other members' photos of their bikes and reading all your comments looking for ideas to copy. One thing I have noticed in the photos is that my headlight rim seems to be different from all the photos of bikes owned by members in the US. Mine is just a plain round rim and the ones in the photos seem to have a built in hood that looks great. My question is: is this an accessory sold in US or do RSTDs sold in the US come standard with this rim? I am also wondering if anyone knows how I can find out if the hooded rim will fit my headlight. I know it's a big ask but a part number for the rim would be great. If anyone can provide me with this information, perhaps someone could also let me know if the rim can be bought in the US and where I could buy it. I could then contact them to find out details of the cost of the rim and shipping details to Australia. Thanks, Les.
  20. I have the rear tire off of the 89 for a tire change. the question is, what needs to be taken off the rim ?do i need to take the rotor off of the rim before it goes to the tire changer? This is the first time I have taken one apart for the tire replacement. And is there anything that gets done other than cleaning the hub and regreasing the teeth? Is there anything else in there i need to take apart and service?
  21. If someone has lost one and they want it back, i have found it in the middle of our RSV rear tire. I am hoping there is a reward, because with not so much tread left i am opting to buy a new rear tire instead of repairing it. Well, i am gonna have it patched, then search for a rear rim and make that my spare. Does anyone have a second gen rear rim for sale? other wise i will have to cruise the bay for one. so how did i find the flat you are wondering? WELLLLL - - - I had some time today to ride before the rain hit. but it was not meant to happen. first i locked my keys in the house and Deb locked the window by the door that i normally have to come behind her and lock. then there was no answer on the mobile phone. she had the grand kids so no tellin how long she would be. so i looked at the bugs on the bike and said "self" "you might as well put time to good use." so i got a paint bucket and some towels and washed the bike down. still no one to unlock the house. Ok, lets replace some scratched parts with parts i have been collecting - I put on the new chrome license plate. Then i replaced the right side mirror with one that no scratches on the chrome side. when i sat on the seat to adjust the mirror - I thought - why am i sitting so flat footed? i got off to give a look about and saw the rim sitting on squished rubber. can't get to the tech section without logging on to the website. can't get to the computer without getting into the house. Ok, lets at least get things lined up for the job. about then Deb gets home. I printed out the steps to remove the back tire. while it was the first time to do this, it was no biggie. I had already bought an imitation Carbon One lift adapter and already had an ATV lift that i use for my 4 wheeler. with those 2 items and some basic tools, this is really an easy job. Sooooo. got the tire off and found someone's unused pop rivet. so it's off to tire surfing we go. i would most certainly rather have been riding, but the choice made me today. I hope everyone else's day went smoother, though i did enjoy working on the scoot. dale in La
  22. I'm going to try to change the front tire myself on my 86VR....40 years ago I used to work part time at Sears changing tires so I'm no stranger to the process.. Has anyone used a "C" clamp to break the bead and large screwdrivers to remove the tire from the rim?..It seems easy at face value but I'd like to hear from people that have actually done it... BTW: I figured diluted liquid soap and a paint brush ought to work when replacing the tire to get the bead slippery enough to fit the tire, with a little persuasion, over the rim...
  23. Would like to know if anyone has a couple of front rims off a dirtbike? Would like to stay with a 16 to 19 in. rim. Spoke or mag would work. Already have the box just looking for the wheels.
  24. After much bother I finally got the Kumno beaded on the rim. The first tire would not come up all the way around on one side. The folks At Discount Tire swapped it for a new one. Same problem, but on the opposite side of the rim. After everyone pretty much gave up, I contacted a truck tire repair shop. At least he wasn't afraid to squeeze a bunch of air into it. Previously I had gone up to 100+ psi. He had a can of some really slick stuff called "Bead Breaker". That and about 120 psi or so and it finally popped on completely. Now, after about 15 miles of riding on it I think I'll have to play with the pressure. I am running 35 psi and when accelerating in a turn it feels like it wants to slip a bit. Maybe drop the pressure a few #s and try it again. Otherwise it's great.
  25. I'm ready for tires, and extremely hesitant about downsizing my front tire, mainly because I can't get a single mechanic or shop to say that it will fit my rim. I know many here have done it with the Avons, but does anyone have the 130-90-16 Dunlop E-3 on the front of their RSV with the stock rim? Any issues whatsoever?