Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. Yeah Hello all been awhile since I was here, winters are long and harsh here in Alberta so haven’t done much on my bike since last here. I hate to double post but my last thread was more about an idea to restore my bike via 3D printing here https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?137341-3d-printing-replacement-fairing-and-parts&p=1045382#post1045382. Anyway that idea hasn’t panned out well and now I can’t even get my printer going so I decided to go another route. It’s been a slow process as I am still learning a lot but I hope to be up and running soon, I decided to come in here and share with you guys in stead of raging out after snapping my clutch level off in a poor attempt to straighten it sigh... here is a photo of the add I purchased this bike for $250 CAD it did come with the bags and I was planning to keep them however they were in fairly ruff shape. here I begin tear down some of these pics were on other thread but felt i should put them all together as you can see it was in pretty bad shape This is where I attempt to repair the fairing But they were just so bad and it was my first attempt at body work For got how to edit on this site lol been kinda of a relearning period so bear with me lol, any way this is that clutch lever I damaged trying to straighten sigh... This is the damaged sifter I have yet to repair This is How im securing my tail lights at the momemt this is temporary as budget permits I may swap out this entire rear end changing the rear fender etc some more photos showing some cable management etc Test fitting of the headlight test fitting of the new side Panels (I may replace these as well but this gets me on the road this summer Well Im all caught up now I think Till I get back out the the shop and finish assembly
  2. Something like this? http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/271405/images/golf-rack.jpg I want to build on that doesn't cover the brakelight/license plate. Possibly off to the side of the saddle bag.
  3. Guest

Bike build off

American choppers final bike build off starts tonight.. Gas Monkey might pull off a winner...
  4. "What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build targets." I thought this was very appropriate for our family. Matt the Mech. Eng. works at General Dynamics (armoured personnel carriers) and his wife Val the Civil Eng. works for the MTO (Hwy. Bridges etc.)
  5. Other PGR members here I am sure. I am looking into mounting the 3 foot x 5 foot flag to my bike for missions. I want to make the mount and the pole myself and any and all help would be appreciated. I have saw such things in some other sites (Harley) and can not get to the pics and other info with out becoming a member first. Not much on the Ky PGR site either. So far I have come up with very little. Maybe a clothes rod holder for the pole. So your help would be nice. I love pics please. I have searched for hours and many locations on the net and have not gotten any real good info. So I decided to post here and see what others here have done with our bikes. Thank you in advance. I now build these myself. Go here www.jandjflagmounts.com PS; I have come to the conclusion that if someone could come up with a universal type mount, then it would help others. I have decided to build my own and maybe some for others. I can sell a few and save a little gas money for the missions. The Patriot Guard Riders is becoming more and more popular, growing every day. Fuzzy
  6. I have pictures and so forth to help explain what I have done to make a PGR 3'X5' flag pole to use as a mounted flag on the bike and then also removable to use at the funeral home and grave sites. I have been ask how to make these and I promised I would do a "how to" here. So I will do the best I can to explain this here. Rather simple to build, but hard to put in writing for me. So here goes; #1. I purchased a 8' long poplar 1 1/4" dowel rod from the local hardware/home store or where ever you may find them. Around $10.00 - $12.00 . You can find plenty 6' long for closet rods and curtains that are expensive to, but not long enough. You need to cut the rod to 6' 6". This length gives you enough to keep the flag from touching the ground while standing the flag line at a slight angle. The poplar are what you may find most of the time. Hardwood such as oak would probably be, or possibly be better, but the poplar does work well and is light and pretty tough. Pine would be to brittle and would most likely break when under stress, so no good. You would be surprised at the force generated at 70 mph with a 3'X5' flag flying. #2. So now you have a 6' 6" pole. Next attach a decorative type ball on what would be the top end of the wood rod. You can find these at the same hardware places and are easy to find. Around $2.00-$3.00 total. You need one with a screw attachment made in it. Mine did not have the screw and I bought one of the attaching screws with it. #3. I bought some eye lag screws. You need at least three. This explains what I am talking about. http://www.boltdepot.com/Wire_eye_lags_Zinc_plated_steel.aspx #4. Purchase your self a 3'X5' polyester American flag. The cheap ones are what I use. #5. I put an extra grommet in the flag at the center of the flag, so that it now has three. You might want to even use four of these, but three is enough. I purchased a grommet package for tarps that included the small tools. Be very careful when putting these in. Use light hammer force and quit when you have the grommet attached and cut the center material out with a utility sharp razor. #6. Attach the flag to the eye lag screws with these quick links, shown here just to give you an idea. These give you the freedom to remove the flag and place in a zip lock bag for storage in your saddle bags if you like and also to replace the flag very easily. http://fasteners.hardwarestore.com/16-63-chain-links-swivels/quick-link-134619.aspx #7. I put a screw and a washer with a rubber washer on the bottom end of my flag pole. This will protect it while standing the flag line and resting the bottom on the concrete and black top. #8. I spray painted my pole with a clear finish shellac. It worked OK with several light coats. The next one I am going to paint it on. I feel I can get a better coverage and a thicker coat than the spay on. Just remove the eye lags and paint the end ball/decorative end. Then after drying put your hardware back on. Hope this helps other PGR members and I thank you for your honorable decision to help such a great organisation. Take care and ride safe. Remember the PGR is not only for those that ride, but also for those that do not. There are times that we can help in the winter months and drive our cars and trucks to help to. I build Motorcycle Flag Pole Mounts to work with this pole. My main decision to do this was because of the PGR members. I hope I have helped you here with this little explanation of how to build the flag pole. Here is the link to the Motorcycle Flag Pole Mounts that I build. The best and safest way to attach the 3'X5' flag I think. You can use these on bikes and also other vehicles with a 2" receiver by using the reducer/adapter. The flag removes very easily with just one small pin and re-attaches just as easy. http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=34 [ATTACH]66020[/ATTACH] The 6' 6" flag pole. Needs to be 6' 6" to keep the flag from touching the ground. [ATTACH]66021[/ATTACH] The decorative ball. [ATTACH]66022[/ATTACH] The top ball. [ATTACH]66023[/ATTACH] The hardware I used. [ATTACH]66024[/ATTACH] Quick link flag attachment. [ATTACH]66025[/ATTACH] The grommet package. [ATTACH]66026[/ATTACH] The bottom of the pole. Fuzzy
  7. This one says he is ready to weed eat and cut grass.Just lay it on him. Could it be I will have time on weekends to ride first gen? We shall see! Third time might be the charm.Like to have a good one. I could build new garage like Yammer.
  8. Going to build a hitch for my 07rsv new trailer on the way ! Does everyone's trailer set level when hitched to bike and is there any advantage other than appearance for it to do so. Trailer will have 12'' wheels and i just don't want it to look like its doing a nose dive going down the rode I'm a little OCD about these things. Will be installing leveling links before I build the hitch so that should help any comments or pics would be appreciated.
  9. My 1984 Venture Royale has a model designation of XVZ12, but I've noticed there are other letters like DKC2 or DL or KC2 so.... How do I figure out what my Royale is w/o a build sheet?
  10. Last night I scored a deal on a car topper from Craigslist. The guy has an old car topper that had been used once and was asking $25 for it just to get rid of it quick. After almost a week of us playing phone tag and email tag he finally sent me an email that If I can come tonight, I can have it for $FREE$. He just wants it gone. Needless to say I beat feet over there, and this thing looks almost like new. I stuffed it into the back of my truck and away I went with the goodies. Now I just have to decide quickly as to whether I should just get the HF trailer (the HF trailer is on sale for $179.95 till the end of this month) to put under this box, or build one from scratch. I know that it will cost a LOT more to build it from scratch, and take a lot more work and time, but I will have a much better trailer in the end that is exactly what I want/need.
  11. Well I finally did it. I took out the cassette deck & gutted the box of the inards. Then cut out some sheet metal to cover the bottom and added a backstop that goes back about 3". Did that since you can only get your hand in just so far and wanted to be able to reach whatever ends up all the way in. Also covered the inside with some nice black vinyl material I had on hand. I thought of saving that cassette assembly & build a box but who would want one. It was just easier altering the exiting box and not having to fabricate something for the door. For sure now I'll get some use of that part of the bike. Larry
  12. I would love to build one of these for the street using a Venture Royale and Vmax engine! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-R6-Turned-Into-Street-Quad-Must-SEE-R1-YFZ-450-RAPTOR-700-R-/270833791592?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3f0ef3b268#v4-39 Can this thing be street legal in your state?
  13. The wife is bugging me to ride on her own . I have a Suzuki 1400 intruder collecting dust in the garage. The wifes not big or strong enough to ride it, but could ride it if it was triked w/ a 4 wheel kit. Since we would still 2 up on long trips, I don't want to pay the bucks and am sure I could build one if I can come across some information. Has anyone built one or can direct me to pictures or info. Anything would be helpful. Thanks Richard
  14. Is it possible to build a headset for a 83 venture royale? I have all the cables, front and back... just wondering if it is possible?
  15. well the cushman is done and it hit the road for the shake down cruise today. it ran flawlesly and has more balls than i planned on. very fast. i think this is the best build i ever did, and it's going to be my last one. pictures will be coming soon. it really turned out better than i planned on. i just wanted a rider, and got in deeper than i planned. heading for greenwo0d ar. in 2 weeks for the debut. next project which should be a cheapy, is a gocart with an old 7 hp. wisconsin engine that i picked up at an old thresher show. it's not going to be anything major just an engine restoration and build a gokart from scratch. i never had a real gokart. the engine is almost like one i had on a cushman airborn frame back in the 50's.
  16. Hi all. I am looking at getting a trailer to pull behind my scoot. Not sure if I should build or buy. If I build, I am sure I can get a couple of friends to do the welding for me at the school where I work. Should it be aluminum tubing? I would think it's better for weight but would it hold on the road? Then put a car top cargo on it again for weight. To buy, not sure where to look for a good price and quality at the same time. Any ideas are welcome. If you have a plan of how to build one I would certainly appreciate it. thanks
  17. It looks like they are building an assembly plant in India, how long until they realize the lower cost to build there and send it all over there? http://www.google.com/url?url=http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hDa0x2B3eo354OC2sDnDgrvFR0GQ%3FdocId%3DCNG.07a5df7c6b6557b51ab3e6a8600d21ee.201&rct=j&sa=X&ei=yF7QTJf3LI-u8AbnnsSaBg&ved=0CDMQ-AsoATAA&q=harley+davidson&usg=AFQjCNESmJJOWzoJ9cRB4O3wo-FnRk5rXw
  18. i'm looking for one more winter project. may have to build one more bike. found what i was looking for for $350 dollars, almost delivered from oklahoma to my house. a few more details and i will close the deal. since i am a long time member of another forum and attend alot of their meets i figure i better be riding the right brand on their rides. so i have been hunting for a buildable prospect for the last year. the price is right so here we go again. i have already built several of these. anyone got an idea what it may be? the winner gets an all you can eat breakfast at hardies, or a check for ten dollars if your to far away. just name the brand not the model. snarley bill
  19. You see, I like the show American Chopper on TLC. This seasons episodes of Paul Sr. vs. Paul jr' has peaked my curiousity. Early in the season the Knights of Columbus approached Paulie (Jr.) to build a bike for them and renigged by the second episode of the season. That got me thinking about the possibility of getting him to build a bike for the Fraternal Order of Eagles which is an organization that I am envolved with. We have an membership of over one million members with chapters (or Aeries) all over the world. All of our Aeries are developing our own Riders groups which I have been a part of at our local Aeriel 714 (Atlanta, Ga) for the past couple of years. My idea was to approach Paul Jr. To build a F.O. Eagles theme bike that we could use to raise funds for Diabetes Research. The problem is that I have tried to reach Paulie Jr. through every avenue I can think of and have not been successful in getting him to responde to our enquires so far. Our organization is all about raising money for charitiy and getting him to build the bike would be solely for that purpose. The problem is this. I'm just a lowely Ole country boy from Georgia. And don't know how to make big waves. But, since it was my idea my organization thinks its a good ideal and has put me in charge of making it happen.:yikes: What do I do next. I'm open for suggestions.
  20. So- I finally decided to build a bike! It may take a while, but eventually I'll get it right! Here's a pic of what I have so far: http://www.nps.gov/plants/sos/training/typicalshipment/images/Step%2001%20Empty%20Box.jpg But seriously folks, my old man has an basket case FXDWG that needs to be put together, and he's agreed if I build it, I can ride it until he sells it. So if you have any spare building materials laying around let me know! The building is done, I just have to insulate it, wire it, and do the interior walls. It won't be a Venture, but considering the pickle I'm in (identity theft, baby on the way, and return of the inguinal hernia) I'm not gonna be too picky!
  21. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Venture-Royale-1983-Yamaha-Venture-Royale-XZV-1200-No-Reserve-/270618595158?pt=US_motorcycles#v4-31 Lower farings are missing and only extras I see at all are chrome air intakes and front fender rail but this one caught my eye for some reason. Wish it were closer. Be a good one to build your own!!
  22. I am thinking of building a trailer to pull behind the bike. I have a cargo box carrier i can use on it, so i just have to build the frame. I am leaning towards buying a Harbor Freight trailer to use. I just cant build the trailer cheaper than buying it. My question is, should i buy the lighter duty trailer with the 8 inch wheels, or the heavier trailer with the 12 inchers. I can take springs out of the heavier etc. to help the ride if i have to. Wouldnt 12 inch tire be better?
  23. Guest

if you build it...

...will she...uhh...come? I finished it up today, 5 months in the making, only had a few welds done professionally, the rest was me hacking away in the school's auto shop during my spare time, what little we civil servants DO have...cutting, drilling, grinding, and finishing up the electrical and painting in my shop at home...right next to the TV and coffee table. I got the idea from this website and eye balled all measurements. http://motorcycletrailer.com/tib/ Some of you may remember in late winter me asking about where the centre of gravity is on the VR...this was the reason...LOL...I enjoyed you guys guessing why I wanted to know such a thing. I changed a couple of features like only having a 2-piece backbone instead of 3 piece like they have. It's designed to be taken apart and all fit into the HHR when we reach our destination. I ended up with a couple of snags like not leaving enough room for where I planned to put the license plate, so will have to solve that, right now the plate is tie wrapped on. It's the biggest transportation related thing I've ever built, and given my pretty boy skills, I'm happy with it. It has received final approval by the Pretty Butt, so after 5 years of being a good boy, begging, pleading, and general a$$ kissing, we are going on a trip down the Blue Ridge together...YAHOO! So here's the multiple choice question for you all... Why ELSE would a guy like me build something like this??? A) because the Browner is really becoming a trailer queen of priceless value worthy of tender care during it's final years. B) because deep down I know that BradT hates being bugged for trailering duties. C) because the Pretty Butt has me ass whupped more than I realize. D) because I need to be ready on a moment's notice to head to the USA to pick up my new Gold Wing...or... E) (insert your opinion here)
  24. I went and ordered the hitch for the scoot. I already did the thread on whether or not to use brakes on the trailer. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47141 Now I just need to design and build the trailer. I need to a lot of pricing out parts to see if it is more cost effective to build a trailer from scratch, or to start with something like a Harbor Freight trailer and modify from there. The box needs to be a minimum of 96 x 40 x 20. At this point in time I am thinking of making the box out of marine grade plywood with a one piece hinged lid. Maybe a sloped and/or V nose to help wind resistance. I am still concerned about side wind load in a strong cross wind. That is a big trailer for a bike but what I need to carry is not heavy, just big and fragile. I am open to ideas for the construction of this beast.
  25. While not a Venture it sure looks sweet. Some amazing talent went into this build. Larry http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2009-11/you-built-what-luxury-sidecar