Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. Mornin' folks, On the 8th of july I bought a 2008 venture. Now have 10200 miles loged and the rear tire seems to be wearing away really fast. Two questions, How close to the wear bars can I run it and is the stock tire that came with the bike the best? Don't seam like many miles to be worn out already. Thanks in advance Herb:Venture:
  2. For the members in the states that do not require bike riders to wear helmets, how many always wear a helmet. I usually always wear mine; however Ron only wears his on a trip on the interstate. I was just curious. Mama:322:
  3. As some of you may have recalled, I had a tire blow last year while running through West, by God, Virginia. It was a Dunlop D404 that had been put on a couple of months previously. I was beating myself up for neglecting to check my tire pressure and was sure that was what killed it with 5581 miles on it. For a lot of expense (towing, hotel stay, tire, install, etc.) I was able to get another D404 installed so I could get home. That was the only tire available at the time. Well - IT ALMOST HAPPENED AGAIN! I was recently on a 4000 miles run around and was meticulously checking the tire pressure. It never varied from the original 40 lbs. However, as I was checking the tire pressure after getting gas, I noticed the tire wear was extreme. It was already down to, or below, the wear bars in the center of the tire. Thank goodness it was so windy that I wasn't running on the center of the tire. Since I was about half way across South Dakota and had a good 600 miles (most to be at night) to get home, I thought prudence would be the better part of valor. I pulled into a rest area and got on the phone and found a dealer in NorthWest Iowa with a - D404 tire!!! I had to get home and wanted to get there in one piece. When I punched the dealer address into my GPS, I noticed it would be 6:30 (they close at 6:00) before I got there. I pulled off the next exit to see if I could find a dealer any closer. Luck had me pull into Chamberlain, SD. I asked for a phone book but there were no M'cycle dealers listed. The clerk mentioned there was a Honda dealer the next exit down, I called and they had - an Elite 3 in the appropriate size. Apparently, that is what the Wings use. Showed up, they had me drive right into the shop, and the technician and I got to work. I took off the saddlebags, dropped the pipe, and took off the brake caliper. The tech started on the axle. We jacked it up with a standard floor jack balancing it against the kickstand. While the tech removed the dead D404 and installed the E3, he told me where the Moly60 was and I greased the splines. We reinstalled and I paid the standard bill (list price on the tire, but no complaints here). Slipped the tech a twenty on the way out for getting right on it and for letting me help. 45 minutes in and out with a new E3. OK, bottom line. I got lucky this time. The D404 was not designed for this bike - regardless what the Owners Manual says. The D404 that blew in WV had 5581 miles on it. I now firmly believe the WV tire died a natural death, not from neglect (although, I neglected to inspect for tire wear). This tire, when removed, had 4311 miles on it. Would it have made it another 600 miles? Maybe. But there will never be another D404 on my bike - if I can avoid it. Just a note on the E3. I felt the tire was not quite as smooth on groved pavement as the D404. Almost like it was a 'harder' tire. However, it might be that the tech did not balance the tire. I was in a rush and we both just forgot. I'll throw in some Dynabeads this weekend and that might help. It is a very small price to pay if I can actually make a trip and return safely with the same tires on the bike. The Darksiders almost had me coming over after this. We will see how the E3 works out. Hopefully, I will be able wear it out this year - by riding a lot!! RR
  4. Hello everyone and almost Happy new year! I have been doing some research and reading up on safety gear, and such and. I have the alpine stars, the olympias, the heavy leather and such. Seems like Motoport is getting a lot of good/great reviews regarding their kevlar suits, pants and jackets. Now they are not cheap by any stretch, but testimonies from others on various forums and site seem to swear they are the top banana in safety wear. Lately, I have been more concerned with the good or poor choices of my gear in such an event happen. So....I wanna here from you guys and gals. Anyone have personal or know anyone who wears this kevlar brand? Here in Florida, the heat can be brutal, yet many a Floridian who wear the mesh kevlar have not experienced any overheating. From all accounts the customer service is excellent and the pants and jacket are custom made for your body, so they want specific measurements. Let me know what ya thoughts are. Right now leaning towards the purchase, and it will be my final purchase regarding gear. Thank you kindly for replying and have a fantastic and safe riding new year!!
  5. A guy called yesterday to insure an Elio. He has already made a deposit on one. I had never heard of an elio but you can go to eliomotors.com and read about it. As of now, I can't find an insurance company that will insure one of these. Progressive has the rates and coverage set up but they haven't gotten approval to insure yet. On of the unanswered questions is do you have to wear a helmet and/or have a motorcycle license. Someone that checked into the Georgia law says they don't think you do but the law is vague. I wouldn't want one of these but evidently a lot of people do.
  6. This is the lyrics to a Kenny Chesney song and it describes how I feel today & most days .... We never know when our lives will change with a phone call that no one ever wants to get .....In rememberance of my son Garrett Heath Harden 8/4/89- 12/11/98 tho it has been 16 yrs I still wear the pain like a heavy coat...The only thing that gives me hope,is I know I'll see him again some day. "Who You'd Be Today" Sunny days seem to hurt the most. I wear the pain like a heavy coat. I feel you everywhere I go. I see your smile, I see your face, I hear you laughin' in the rain. I still can't believe you're gone. It ain't fair: you died too young, Like the story that had just begun, But death tore the pages all away. God knows how I miss you, All the hell that I've been through, Just knowin' no-one could take your place. An' sometimes I wonder, Who'd you be today?
  7. A young couple, just married, were in their hotel honeymoon suite, on their wedding night. As they were undressing for bed, the husband who was a big burly man tossed his pants to his bride and said, ‘Here, put these on.’ She put them on and the waist was twice the size of her body. ‘I can't wear your pants,’ she said. ‘That's right,’ said the husband, ‘and don't you ever forget it. I'm the man and I wear the pants in this family.’ With that she flipped him her panties and said, ‘Try these on.’ He tried them on and found he could only get them on as far as his kneecaps. ‘Heck,’ he said, ‘I can't get into your panties!’ She replied, ‘That's right, and that's the way its going to be until your attitude changes!’
  8. I belong to a lot of motorcycle organizations. My jacket and vest have a mixture of all these organizations on them. I view these patches as a billboard showing what organizations I belong to or support. One of my STAR chapter President's has told me his position on patches is when we are on a chapter ride he does not want anyone to wear any patch other than STAR and chapter patches. My jacket I wear all the time has a VentureRider patch on the back. He does not think I should wear that where people can see it on a chapter ride. I think this is ridiculous. This reminds me of what we have been fighting as Yamaha riders when other clubs say you have to ride this type of motorcycle if you want to ride with us. STAR says you can ride anything you like. My President says you can ride any ride you like but when you are on a chapter ride you can not wear any other patch. Does this make any since to any of you?
  9. Just replaced the pads on the rear of my 85 and now the rear wheel needs alot of convincing to turn. I had to clamp the caliper to get it back on the wheel. Put it all back togeather easily enough. Will it wear down and let loose after a long ride? Its a little hard/near impossible to push it back into the garage. Thanks for the advice.
  10. I've contemplated installing the EBC HH pads on my laden '90, but have reservations due to the reported high rotor wear. Rotors for my bike are very expensive if one can even find them. Any First Gen owners with long term HH pad installations out there? What is the accumulated mileage with the HH? Notice any significant rotor wear? What kind of riding have you subjected the bike while wearing the HH pads? One probably shouldn't attempt to put a price on safety (good braking), but if after spending $100 for just the pads and then perhaps several hundred more for rotors (or worse, having no ride-able motorcycle because one can't get any replacement rotors) after a couple seasons of back roads, two-up, trailer towing touring, well that is unacceptably expensive.
  11. http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/remember.jpg Remember to wear a bicycle helmet !
  12. Hope everyone is enjoying riding season...I know we are. My lovely bride & I are starting to look at safety gear (Jackets & Pants). What safety gear do ya'll wear? We are looking for something that is cool enough to wear in the heat but yet strong enough to protect us if we go down. It seems so confusing. Thanks, Melvin
  13. My eye surgeon has decided he wants to do another surgery tomorrow. This time, due to more blood vessel problems, he wants to take the oil back out and fix the problem vessels and the do the air bubble thing again. At present I have virtually no usable vision out of my right eye and have found if I wear my eye patch, it seems to help with my headaches. I don't know if this will help my vision any, but we will see(no pun intended). RandyA
  14. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this kind of wear patern from a rear e3 , i color one of the dips in the tread, tire has around 17,000 miles on it. its more on the left side of the tire. right side shows just a little wear .
  15. I am NOT taking about when you got drunk and rode naked....Yes....me too ! I did have my shoes on !! Or about helmets. I just purchased a Kaw. Versys and joined their forum. These guys dress for war.... a lot of " made for motorcycle "(Kevlar) coats, pants and boots. I DO have some textile coats and Sidi ( spelling ?) boots from my BMW days and a couple leathers coats, chaps and leathers pants.... BUT..... I wear mostly jeans ( I just ordered 2 pairs of Diamaond jeans ), a tank top and steel toed boots. I carries a leather shirt on the bike for that day it's not full leather coat weather. One thing I always wear are some type of glove. What are you wearing ? Cb
  16. OK guys and Gals what model of toggs to I get ?? there are so many to chose from. togg that and toad this.. sheesh Just wanna know what most are using and the price I should be looking at. Thanks for any input. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-rain-gear#v2-facets%5B%5D=72&page=1&page_size=96&sort=featured Oh and should I go with XL as I wear a large in clothes? to go over the clothes? Jeff
  17. For those that have them are you still happy with them and do they have the force flex sole. Also are there any retailers for Milwaukee boots not to keen on ordering them without trying them on. Are they good for all day wear and walking.
  18. WHY MEN ARE NEVER DEPRESSED: Men Are Just Happier People -- What do you expect from such simple creatures? Your last name stays put. The garage is all yours. Wedding plans take care of themselves. Chocolate is just another snack... You can be President. You can never be pregnant. You can wear a white T-shirt to a water park. You can wear NO shirt to a water park. Car mechanics tell you the truth. The world is your urinal. You never have to drive to another gas station restroom because this one is just too icky. You don't have to stop and think of which way to turn a nut on a bolt. Same work, more pay. Wrinkles add character. Wedding dress $5000. Tux rental-$100. People never stare at your chest when you're talking to them. New shoes don't cut, blister, or mangle your feet. One mood all the time. Phone conversations are over in 30 seconds flat. You know stuff about tanks. A five-day vacation requires only one suitcase. You can open all your own jars. You get extra credit for the slightest act of thoughtfulness. If someone forgets to invite you, He or she can still be your friend. Your underwear is $8.95 for a three-pack. Three pairs of shoes are more than enough.. You almost never have strap problems in public. You are unable to see wrinkles in your clothes.. Everything on your face stays its original color. The same hairstyle lasts for years, even decades. You only have to shave your face and neck. You can play with toys all your life. One wallet and one pair of shoes -- one color for all seasons. You can wear shorts no matter how your legs look. You can 'do' your nails with a pocket knife. You have freedom of choice concerning growing a mustache. You can do Christmas shopping for 25 relatives On December 24 in 25 minutes. ___________________________________ Men Are Just Happier People NICKNAMES If Laura, Kate and Sarah go out for lunch, they will call each other Laura, Kate and Sarah. If Mike, Dave and John go out, they will affectionately refer to each other as Fat Boy, Bubba and Wildman. EATING OUT When the bill arrives, Mike, Dave and John will each throw in $20, even though it's only for $32.50. None of them will have anything smaller and none will actually admit they want change back. When the girls get their bill, out come the pocket calculators. MONEY A man will pay $2 for a $1 item he needs. A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale. BATHROOMS A man has six items in his bathroom: toothbrush and toothpaste, shaving cream, razor, a bar of soap, and a towel. The average number of items in the typical woman's bathroom is 337. A man would not be able to identify more than 20 of these items. ARGUMENTS A woman has the last word in any argument. Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument. FUTURE A woman worries about the future until she gets a husband. A man never worries about the future until he gets a wife. MARRIAGE A woman marries a man expecting he will change, but he doesn't. A man marries a woman expecting that she won't change, but she does. DRESSING UP A woman will dress up to go shopping, water the plants, empty the trash, answer the phone, read a book, and get the mail. A man will dress up for weddings and funerals. NATURAL Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed. Women somehow deteriorate during the night. OFFSPRING Ah, children. A woman knows all about her children. She knows about dentist appointments and romances, best friends, favorite foods, secret fears and hopes and dreams. A man is vaguely aware of some short people living in the house. THOUGHT FOR THE DAY A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
  19. BAH HUMBUG!!! Now I feel better. I can wear my Bah Humbug shirt today!!
  20. I purchased MyPalomino in March, 2008 w/ 32,700 miles. The Avon Venom tires were advertised as "like new" and indeed appeared that way. Several hundred miles ago, I started to notice a disturbing wear pattern on my front tire. The left hand side of the tire was wearing much more rapidly than the right side. The bike's clock recently rolled past the 42K mark and I came to the conclusion that I could no longer ignore the wear and I ordered new tires. (see pix) I've been waiting to get whitewalls anyway. Ordered a set of Dunlop 404s from Motorcycle Superstore on the last day for the VR discount and received them on Friday, HOWEVER, I want to understand the geometry of this type of tire wear. Is it normal for the Avon Venom front tire to show this type of wear w/ less than 10K miles? Could this type of wear have been alleviated w/ the installation of a center stand or garaging the bike w/ wheels lifted off ground? I read similar threads discussing, among other things, the geometry of left hand turns and the added wear on tires. Could that be a contributing factor? The front wheel appears to be turning true, HOWEVER, there could alignment issues. How would I know? I want to avoid this kind of wear on the new Dunlops, if possible. Any input would be appreciated. The first pic is of the tire's condition when I purchased the bike. BTW, the rear tire looks like it could go another 20K miles or more.
  21. First of all let me say that I have thought alot about this since yesterday morning. I want to make my feelings clear about some of the posts by inconsiderate members concerning you guessed it Protective gear It is not anyones right duty or responsibility for anyone to comment on whether someone not of your imediate family (you pay there way) on whether a rider does or does not wear there gear.No one tells you to wear your gear so you can stop making posts on threads about whether an injured rider would or would not be in better shape after and accident if they were wearing all or some if any of the protective gear they may or may not own or like to wear.I dont give my friends and addopted family any grief if they do or dont suit up to ride I only wear a helmet because its required in the state I live in.Mini doesnt like me not to wear one but thats between me and her and no one elses concern as far as I look at it. I know that this thread is probably going to be deleted and if that is the case so be it the moderators do a damn fine job of keeping things correct here.feel free not to send me a pm or call me if you dont like my additude about this because I most likely will offend you before you get to many words out. I hope that everyone that has been injured as of late makes a full and complete recovery and that is all you need to concern yourself about with a post of an injured rider.Ask yourself this if you dont chose to put on all of your protective gear before you run to the store to get a loaf of bread or other items and you get into an accident whose fault and concern is it if you crack you head or get some road rash ect? Jeff
  22. I have a question for you ladies. What is the best way to wear long hair while riding? I have long hair past my shoulders and in the past I've not been overly concerned with how my hair is after I take off the helmet. But soon it will be a near daily thing to be on a bike. I've seen those skullcaps with attached ponytail holders on different leather and biker sites. I personally can't french braid my hair, but sometimes Hubby will do it for me. Anyway, I wanted ideas.
  23. Men Are Just Happier People -- Your last name stays put. The garage is all yours. Wedding plans take care of themselves. Chocolate is just another snack. You can be President. You can never be pregnant. You can wear a white T-shirt to a water park. You can wear NO shirt to a water park. Car mechanics tell you the truth. The world is your urinal. You never have to drive to another gas station restroom because this one is just too icky. You don't have to stop and think of which way to turn a nut on a bolt. Same work, more pay. Wrinkles add character. Wedding dress $5000. Tux rental-$100. People never stare at your chest when you're talking to them. New shoes don't cut, blister, or mangle your feet. One mood all the time. Phone conversations are over in 30 seconds flat. You know stuff about tanks. A five-day vacation requires only one suitcase. You can open all your own jars. You get extra credit for the slightest act of thoughtfulness. If someone forgets to invite you, He or she can still be your friend. Your underwear is $8.95 for a three-pack. Three pairs of shoes are more than enough.. You almost never have strap problems in public. You are unable to see wrinkles in your clothes.. Everything on your face stays its original color. The same hairstyle lasts for years, maybe decades. You only have to shave your face and neck. You can play with toys all your life. One wallet and one pair of shoes -- one color for all seasons. You can wear shorts no matter how your legs look. You can 'do' your nails with a pocket knife. You have freedom of choice concerning growing a mustache. You can do Christmas shopping for 25 relatives On December 24 in 25 minutes. No wonder men are happier. Men Are Just Happier People (Not a bad thing at all!!) :cool10:
  24. i just want to say thank you thank you thank you. as you all know i was faceing some real hard times. and im doing some what better. with the great support from to many to name here im doing a little better. its nice to know my lights and internet wont be shut off for at least 3 months with all of your help i paid in advance and my fridge is stocked with food maybe not steaks or even pork chops but its still food. cupboards have soups vegies and basic things. i did spend a few dollars for new socks and a pair of sneakers a man can wear boots just way to much sometimes they get heavy . i may not be out ridding but there is a smile on my face as i know i have a ton of of angels here watching over me. so once again my thanks and prayers go out to each and every one of you sincerly James aka oldgoat
  25. Hello Everyone: Can anyone make a suggestion on hot riding gear for my wife? When it gets hot, she refuses to wear long pants and will not wear her leathers. She enjoys the sun and would rather wear shorts. I prefer she not get on the bike without proper protection. Does someone know of a lightweight protective riding pant that allows good airflow that she could wear over her shorts and then remove easily during stops?