Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. 1 the last bar on the fuel gauge is the reserve. So turn the petcock or the bike will die. 2 it's very easy to hit the cutoff switch with bulky winter gloves on. 3 this bike is a real handful at parking lot speeds. I was was the only non-harley in this group but wasn't lacking a thing other than the HD shield. This bike will do anything I need it to and more. Many more miles to come.
  2. Hi, Just bought an '88 last night. Unloading it from the trailer I was surprised how heavy it was. I found out qiuckly I couldn't lean it as much as other bikes. I thought I was going to dump it. How do these bikes handle at lower speeds? Good for a big bike, Bad? Thank you.
  3. Previous owner installed a set of Baron's Risers on the RSV. Not sure that I like them. Got a pretty good reach being 6'5". I feel that my arms are trapped and I cannot extend quite enough for my liking at low speeds. The flexing of the risers themselves are also a concern. Would like to get any feedback from those that have tried them and went back to the stock setup.
  4. I just bought a 1999 venture has 37K on it I'm having an issue with the front end being VERY heavy in turns, I actually push the opposite way because of the weight it's like I'm fighting it . it also SEEMS to wobble slightly whe turning sharp at very slow speeds It's hard to explain. Does not seem to be anything loose on the axle etc...rubber is Avon with plenty of tread and looks fine HELP!!!!!!!!!please!!!!!!!
  5. Hello-I have a slow speed wobble in my 01 Royal Star Venure when backing off throttle with one hand on handle bars----not noticeable on acceleration. Not really apparent at higher speeds. First noticed when I leaned over to shut off choke and backed off throttle. Have set air pressure in shocks correctly. Not sure. Bob
  6. If I crack the throttle wide open quickly while at highway speed, I smell gas, the smell goes away as I resume normal speeds , all carbs appear dry externally, thoughts oh wise ones?
  7. Maybe it's just me, but my RSV runs sooooo much better after it's been cranked up to 70 - 80 mph for a little while. I ran the 230 miles up and back to Chattanooga today, and this bike just loves the high speeds on the interstate, and just felt like it had so much smooth power at the top end of 5th gear. I was already cruising at 75 when I needed to do a fast pass of an 18-wheeler, and when I hit the throttle, man it just flew in response. I really don't like interstate travel and don't do it much, so this feeling of power and acceleration isn't something I get to experience a lot. Is what I'm feeling at that speed related to ideal engine compression? I wish it performed that way at all speeds in all gears. What a rush!
  8. 1996 royal star tour deluxe. I have been having problem with bike seems like it runs out of gas at freeway speeds. It will start missing a little bit and as soon as i release the throttle it goes dead. It has happened to me twice now. First time i replaced the battery as it was bad. I purchased the bike with 4000 miles on it about 6 months ago. Took it in for inspection and dealer said all good except carbs could use a service. I declined as bike ran just fine. They gave me some additive and told me to run it through a couple of tank fulls and see what happens. It may help at low throttle. So this happens only at speeds 65-75 mph. As soon as i coast to side of road it starts right up again. I can ride it all over town here in Phoenix so it gets hot with no problems. I am going to change air and fuel filters next. Anyone have any other suggestions? Oh I also ran a little seafoam thru a couple of tank fulls.
  9. For those that have had both RSV and GW,, I find the one complaint I have on the RSV is the intercom.. It seems to have a faint hiss all the time, and it very hard to hear or use at freeway speeds. Under 55mph it is only ok.. Is the GW intercom any better?
  10. I have a Vulcan 1600 Classic, which has a five speed, counter-balanced V-twin engine. At highway speeds, I find that there's a fair amount of high-frequency vibes that come through the floorboards and to a lesser extent, through the hand grips too. Is this also apparent on the Venture? And do you feel that the lack of a sixth gear is a big deal? Is the engine maybe a bit busy when up to highway speeds since it only has a five speed transmission, causing any kind of noticeable buzzing/vibrating?
  11. Well I've had my 02 midnight almost a year now and just rolled over 10 k. today, had almost 7 k on it when I bought last year. I really like the bike, but with 2 up I'm still very intimidated by the weight and the awkwardness of the bike during low speeds when going through towns and making turns at intersections. I rode a friends ultra the other day and I must say I like the way it handled at low speeds in town. I know the venture is top heavy, but I just can't get comfortable and become one with the bike. Two weeks from now my wife and I are heading to Ocean City Md. for the bike week, actually going for the whole week for our vacation this year. I have considerd taking my 1500 classic instead as it's easy to handle around town, but will not be as comfortable as the venture will be. That's why I have the venture for longer trips. So my question, is there any suggestions on how to get the venture to handle any better? I've read that tire replacement helps,but I don't want to replace the originals just yet, maybe by next riding season. My wife's afraid at times I may drop up us,so far that hasn't happened,but it's in the back of my mind all the time:whistling:. Any help would be great, thanks..
  12. Anyone running these tires on the rear? ... Do you get a "howling" sound at certain speeds? Does it stop or diminish when in a corner?
  13. Just bought a beautiful Gen 2 2000 white/tan. Great shape and chromed out. Wanted more reliability than my Gen 1. Wanted to make sure I could get parts. Was quite shocked with the Gen 2. (The following is only my opinion after riding the Gen 2 400 miles yesterday. Not trying to upset anyone but I imagine there are some Gen 1 riders out there that wonder what they are missing) There are certain things I really like about the Gen 2. Foot positions-awesome Accessability to work on things Suspension- Maybe my Gen 1 just doesn't work right. Don't feel a bump on the Gen 2. Looks Cruise control No plastic ABS panels! Tank capacity. Love the 6 gallons. There are quite a few things that I think the Gen 1 is still better. Heat- The Gen 1 is more comfortable on hot days. Those side fairings really do something. Fairings- Protects better through the wind, moves better through the wind and less noise. Handles better at slow speeds. Tach, temp, time (Whats up with no clock on Gen 2. Doesn't make sense) Speed is hard to read. Granny guages on Gen 2. Hand position- Handlebar is adjustable on Gen 1 but not 2. Seems like at highway speeds I'm standing still on the Gen 1 it goes so easy. Lights- Back end and front end are much more visible. Seat- I think the seat is better on a Gen 1. Because of handlebar position I am way forward on the seat which makes me catch the heat coming up from the gap of the front of the seat and gas tank. Managing at slower speeds. Handling- I just have 400 miles on the Gen 2, but it seems like the Gen 1 handles better slow and fast. Hope I don't feel this way for long. Fit- I'm 6' 1". I think this bike is made for a guy who is 6'4". The handlebars don't come back far enough for the seat in my opinion. Center stand- Why no center stand on the Gen 2? I'm wobbling at parking lot speed on the Gen 2. Guess I will get used to it, but a weird feeling. Front end seems like I am moving through cement. Gen 1 just seems more fun to ride. In fairness I just got the Gen 2 yesterday and rode it 400 miles. I got it because of reliability. Thought I could get things fixed faster and better since parts were more available. I didn't realize how attached I was to the Gen 1. There is a certain pride in wrenching a 27 year bike and taking it a long way from home. Showing up at a gas station with a group of bikers and having them look over like they have never seen what your riding before. Unfortunately I can only have 1 bike. Don't have room. I bought the Gen 2 just because I wanted newer and more reliable I didn't care about better. I did expect to get the same though and not less and I do feel like the Gen 2 is "less" than the Gen 1 in too many ways. Seems like the Gen 2 sacrifices a lot of function to capture the Harley look. The only thing I know for sure is that I like and respect the Gen 1 a lot more today than I did a week ago. I've always cussed the plastic on the Gen 1. It frustrates me that things are too hard to get to. I'm going to be a Gen 2 rider for the coming years, but the grass is not much greener over here and there are some bare spots. The Gen 1 is a great machine. The feeling I have riding a bike that I have somewhat restored along with the function of the bike seems to have given me a thrill that was greater than what I bought. I know I'm going to have to sell my Gen 1 coming up soon, but I will definitely have some remorse with it.
  14. I can activate cruise and on light stays on, push set switch and set lights stays on, as they both should. Let go of throttle and cruise is actually not on. Tried at different speeds from 45 up to 65 to no avail. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. PGR, PC, FL
  15. I couldn't find anything on this in the searches I did....so here goes. I have noticed at slow speeds where my steering lightly locks. It is in the straight position and is a noticeable "slot" where it requires more pressure to turn it. It is getting to be annoying at slow speeds. Took a weekend trip and it seemed worse this past weekend. I have tightened the steering head a while back and the bounce when it's in the air is still on the loose side. Any info would be appreciated.
  16. The his in my helmet is really starting to bother me. I've noticed it since day one on the bike, if I have my helmet plugged in I get hiss. I like to be plugged in so I can switch to helmet speakers at freeway speeds to hear the stereo. At lower speeds I leave it on speakers. I have the intercom volume at 0, and it doesn't matter if I have the radio going to speakers or helmet there is a hiss. My wife says she hears it too, but she has a physical volume control back there and will just turn it to 0 and it goes away. (If I want to talk to her I tap her on the leg and she turns her volume back up.) But the only way I can get rid of mine is to unplug. Has anyone figured out how to solve this? One thought I have is to find an actual volume control that will plug in between the helmet and the bike, but as of yet I have not found one.
  17. Well, the Kumho was a champ on the Dragon last week. I rode from Dallas to Vogel at high speeds, in rain, at low speeds, on interstates, on back roads, and on the twisties. I had absolutely no issues with wobbling and/or tar snakes. Cornering was great. I am settled in at 38 psi for now. It seems to be a good pressure for me.
  18. I just purchased a 03RSV a month ago, I had a 86 Venture years ago and didn't notice the wind like I have with the 03, I put a new Clearview Medium windshield with the vent on and it did help some, I have the hoods on all of the front lights (5) and am thinking this might be causing some of the problem and thought I would ask what anyone's thought were before I took them off, I've got the J&M head sets and hear fair at low speeds but just turn the audio off at highway speeds. The hoods look nice but will do without them if this will help!
  19. Can anybody give me the Engine RPM in gears at speeds of the 06 07 and 08 models. As on the newer models, 4th and 5th gears are overdrive. I'm interested, in Rpm at say 55, 65, and 70 mph, running in 4th and 5th gear. I understand that the ratios were changed in I believe 03 or 04, so those bikes would be turning lower RPM's on average at normal highway cruzing speeds. My 89 is usually turning about 3800 rpm in 5th, at 65 mph. I'm wondering how this compares to an 07 or 08. Why ? Engine RPM effects the Amperage output of the Stator. I'm trying to figure out just what the reduction in STATOR output amperage, is on the new bikes verse the old bikes, due to the Lowered Gear Ratios. ?? Thanks, any info appreciated !
  20. Disclaimer: This is just my opinion. Yours may vary...... After running the 150 front for years last summer I finally went and tried the 130 front tire when I needed replacement. After a year of use all I can say is that I am not too happy with my decision. Sure, the steering is easier at low speeds but I also feel like im going to drop the bike in turns. Also I have no confidence at speeds over 85 with the 130. Bike just dont seem as stable at high speeds then it did with the 150. On the interstate I like to run up to 90 on occasion or higher. Im scared poopless now anywhere near that figure. Even my wife noticed my concerns. And shes usually asleep back there..LOL. Next replacement im going back to the 150.
  21. I Lowered the rear of my bike using the Baron's kit and it did make a difference on my seat height and at higher speeds the bike handles good, but I noticed at slow speeds, the bike gets swirly. My question is, has anyone lowered the front too and if you did, was slow speed handling better? Also, with the rear lowering kit I have to be careful where I park to make sure the bike does not fall over. I'm sure by lowering the front too I will have to modify the sidestand. Please advise.
  22. Since This Is My First V Four Need To Ask Some Dumb Questions. Is It Common For The Venture To Have An Occasional Backfire. Always On The Right Cylinder Bank. Usually Only Until It Warms Up. Sometimes A Backfire When Cranking. Sometimes Slight Backfire On Decel At Low Speeds. 2500 Miles On Engine. Installed New Plugs Since Carb Float Has Stuck One Time. Thanks For Any Info.
  23. OK, it's only new to me. Just traded my '01 wing for a '99 Venture. A guy in my riding club had wanted my wing since I got it. He had purchased the Venture last year and just wasn't up to handling it, had dropped it several times at walking speeds. Anyway, I have a couple cages that need work and needed cash and he made an offer I couldn't refuse. Another member of the club rides a Cream colored Venture and really loves it so I thought I'd be ok. And I love it! It does have it's problems though. It really "flops" over at parking lot speeds. I'm going to replace the front tire, the current one is really worn (a 150?! wow) I also plan to add a wider handlebar for leverage. Has anyone replaced theirs? I could use a suggestion or two. It also dawned on me that it would probably help to replace the steering head bearing with tapered rollers. Does anyone have experience with that procedure? Maybe a part #? I know I'm asking a lot for a first day member but having read a couple hundred other letters in the forum I feel someone out there will have the answers. I'm looking forward to a long and fruitfull membership in your group. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
  24. Can anyone out there tell me more about Levelling links. Are they useful, do they make the bike more stable, easier to handle at low speeds? Please let me know, thanks in advanve for your input. Joopster
  25. At exactly 64-68 mph, I get a clack-clack-clack sound from the right rear of bike. Approx. 120 times per minute. Can't find anything loose, speed specific, don't have anyone to ride next to me. It only does it at these speeds. Any ideas? New me880's w/2k on them, no bumps noticible on rear tire. I'm stumped!!! Thanks, Dan