Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type

Forums

• vBCms Comments
  • General Discussion
    • Watering Hole
    • Welcome To Our New Members
    • Links to Classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, Sales, Etc.
    • VentureRider Merchandise
    • Picture Folder
    • Videos
    • VR Polls
    • Jokes and Humor
    • Fun and Frivolous
    • Ladies Lair
    • Inspirational, Motivational, Prayer Requests, Etc.
    • In Memory Of
    • Paying it Forward
  • Tech Talk
    • GPS, Audio, Electronics
    • Safety and Education
    • Poor Man Tips and Fixes
    • General Tech Talk
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Talk ('83 - '93)
    • Royal Star Venture Tech Talk ('99 - '13)
    • Star Venture and Eluder Tech Talk ( '18 - Present)
    • Royal Star and Royal Star Tour Deluxe Tech Talk
    • VMax Conversions
    • Honda Goldwing Tech Talk
    • Trike & Sidecar Talk
    • Trailer Talk
    • The Darksiders
  • Technical Library - Read Only
    • Venture and Venture Royale Tech Library ('83 - '93) - READ ONLY!
    • Royal Star Venture and Royal Star Technical Library ('99 - '13) - READ ONLY!
    • Star Venture and Eluder Technical Library ('18 - Present) - READ ONLY!
    • General Tech Library - READ ONLY!
  • Member Recommendations
    • Favorite Roads and Destinations
    • Riding Gear
    • Bike Accessories
  • Member Restaurant Reviews
    • United States Restaurants
    • Canadian Restaurants
    • Other Countries
  • Motorcycle Experiences
    • VentureRider Campers
    • Lessons Learned
    • Embarrassing Moments
  • Rides and Rallies
    • VentureRider Regional Rallies
    • Meet-n-Eats
    • Non-VentureRider, other clubs, public Events
  • VentureRider Vendors
    • Vendors who offer us Discounts.
  • Buy, Sell, Trade
    • Member Vendors
    • First Gen Venture ('83-'93) Complete Bikes Only
    • Second Gen Venture ('99-'13) Complete Bikes Only
    • Third Gen Venture ('18-Present) Complete Bikes Only
    • Yamaha Royal Star - Complete Bikes Only
    • Other Motorcycles - Complete Bikes Only
    • Trikes and Sidecars
    • First Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Third Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Second Gen Parts and Accessories
    • Royal Star Parts and Accessories
    • Universal Parts and Accessories
    • Trailers
    • Motorcycle Electronics - GPS, Headsets, Radio, Etc.
    • Riding Gear - Helmets, Jackets, Etc.
    • Other Vehicles - Cars, Trucks, Boats, Etc.
    • Want To Buy
    • Everything Else For Sale
  • VentureRider Website Discussion
    • Computer help and tips for using this site.
    • Bug Reports
    • Requests for Features
    • Testing Area

Product Groups

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

• Start

End

Last Updated

• Start

End

Filter by number of...

• Start

End

Group

Name

About Me

City

State/Province

Home Country

Interests

Bike Year and Model

Bike Customizations

Occupation

VR Assistance

1. Greeting to all here, I'm a newbie to the Venture scene but I have ridden for about 40 years and I'm a life-long Yamaha fan (FJ1200, 550 Vision, FJR1300, FJ09, among others) and I do most of my own work. I have been working on this new project bike I just picked up, a pretty clean 83 Venture with a VMax (!) motor of unknown vintage, transplanted by the father of the previous owner, that doesn't seem to want to make power at large throttle openings. I'm suspecting the carbs but I haven't gotten into them yet. The bike came to me without an airbox cover so I got off of Ebay and it anything, adding the cover made it worse. It runs OK at part throttle but when you open it up over 4000 RPM and expect that VMAX thing to start happening it just doesn't, and it starts to misfire like it's lean. It wont pull hard or really at all at large throttle openings. I think the carbs are from the Venture but I cannot be sure. I don't know if the bike was rejetted after the transplant, and I'm not sure if the engine has Vmax or Venture cams in it. I did get a big box of valve shims and lifter tools with the bike. Also I just refilled the tank for the first time and I got 100 miles out of 4 gallons of gas. Not great but I'm unsure if this points to something or not. So if I gather from all the searching I have done in the forum, spanning a couple decades, that the CV diaphragms tend to go bad and that fits the lean misfire thing if they are leaking and aren't letting the needle rise out of the jet making it lean. My forum search is not yet complete but if anyone has the link to where the latest/best source for the best carb kits and diaphragms I would be grateful. I will be pulling the airbox tomorrow to try to assess the state of the slides and diaphragms before tearing the carbs off. I'm also open to this being an ignition problem but it sure does feel like carburation. If there is something I've missed that happens to these bikes that causes this problem I could sure use that news too. After I get this resolved it will be time to do something about those linked brakes. Wow what a bad idea, at least as it is now on this bike. I already have all the parts (forks, R1 brakes, etc) for that except the lines. But I have to make this thing GO better before I worry about making it STOP.
  2. Here is a photo comparing the stock 1987 VR cam lobe with a VMax. The lift is either the same or very, very close. The duration is way different! I can't wait to get this baby up and running!
  3. I recently started a restoration on an 85 Vmax for my son. The bike has only 11K miles on it but has been sitting since 1999. So far most everything has been in pretty good shape, considering the lengthy down time. The carbs, however are history. I am having a difficult time finding a set of carbs for it that are not way out of his price range, but I can find first gen Venture carbs fairly reasonable. Would these fit on the vmax? I'm sure if they do, there would be some loss in performance, but would they suffice until he can find OE carbs.
  4. IM considering doing the VMAX rear upgrade. Those who have already done it, are you happy with the results?
  5. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iRTvSnWELg&feature=related]Roadstercycles Cruisin by Roadstercycle.com - YouTube[/ame]
  6. I love my RSTD and I think Yamaha would have a winner in they put the Vmax motor tuned down a little for better gas mileage in the RSTD. The bike has a great engine in it already but with the FI and more power I would think it would sell. What you all think?
  7. If anyone is interested in a VMax final drive for $130 & shipping, PM me. One of my keyboard friends on VMax site has 2 of them. Guy is one of regulars there, so I would trust him myself. I would only serve to hook you two up, prefer not to have to handle it. Gary
  8. Couple of links below to the history of our younger cousin, the VMax. http://www.vmaxguru.com/Tech/Gen1/Pages/History/Gen1_History.htm http://www.monstermax.com/Yamaha%20Vmax%20History.html Link to the V-boost page doesn't work in the 2nd one. Gary
  9. First of all, I absolutely do NOT think that there will be a new generation Venture for 2013. All the talk about it got me to wondering about something though. In the unlikely event that there IS a new Venture at some point and Yamaha is actually smart enough to build it around the new VMAX engine, what can we expect in regards to the engine/gear/clutch basket noise. Did Yamaha improve that with the new engine? OK...I addressed this to Squeeze because I know that he has the new generation VMAX but there may be some others that own or have ridden one also. So...I guess you can answer too.
  10. I just purchased some Vmax heads to throw on my 83 venture. I am NOT at least for now putting or even looking to put the 1300cc motor in. My question is what would be the best jets (all of them if you know ) to put into my carbs to really wake her up even more without overkilling it. I am willing to throw the cafe style air filters on IF necessary to let her breathe better. ANY insight would help. Thanks in advanced John and Christina
  11. Tweetie got a little more pinstripping done this week. 2nd picture is without added VMax (Special Edition) Hope this isn't a crime against VMax's !! Jaybird did the VMax addition, he did main stripping at Oberlin MD this year. The man has talent for sure !! Gary http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/VMaxpinstripe1.jpg http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/Closeup1.jpg
  12. Well, I'm officially a Venture owner. Picked up my '06 with 8900 miles Saturday morning and rode it the 4 hours home. Never been on any sort of touring bike before, I was extremely impressed, almost felt spoiled I'm familiar with the engine (in Vmax tune) and was happy with the torque and horsepower. Never used a heel-toe shifter before...so felt like a complete rookie and mis-shifted several times I couldn't believe it doesn't come with a tach....that confused me for the whole ride. I seriously pushed every button I could find...no tach. But did find the 12 volt aux and the clock Wasn't happy with the high frequency whine at certain RPM's. The Vmax has it too....but the fairing an this funnels the noise right to the rider. I know it's a normal noise...guessing it comes from the valve train? Anyone have fixes for this...or should I be in a lower gear? I'm hoping some synthetic oil might quiet it down. I definitely need the driver backrest...at 6'2", I find I slouch too much. Lastly, I purchased a cheap MP3 player and plugged it into the aux (once I got home) and it's not working? The stereo and CB work...didn't try the cassette though....any simple checks? I read through installing the splitter behind the fairing, straight into the amp...and may do that. Didn't play much with the headset and the CB....couldn't do it all in 1 day Overall (so far) was exactly what I was looking for....now just want to get out and ride
  13. Hi all! I'm about to get some R1 calipers and am trying to find some front rotors. Has anyone used the EBC md2096's? Also, someone had mention early vmax rotors will work. Will they work with the r1 calipers? They seem really thick too. 7.5 mmish? Several cheap sets of those floating around. Thanks everyone!
  14. Here is a real bike. Zoom Zoom... [ame=http://youtu.be/Ol0q7cCPCZ0]http://youtu.be/Ol0q7cCPCZ0[/ame]
  15. Hi All, I have introduced myself in the new members section so i wont bore you again. To the questions! I am picking up my 96 Royal Star tomorrow and am looking at ways to unleash the beast being a serial modder like i am! way the reviews read you would think the poor bike could not pull the head off a custard its supposedly so underpowered. However i dont expect it to be anywhere near that bad. I suspect its just a bunch of harley riding journos who arent actually used to a bike that actually revs out! My plan of attack is 4 into 4 slipons( it is bone stock!) dyna 3000 ignition, big air kit , vmax cams and springs and 32mm carbs. I might look at the Vmax rear hub as well but i would prefer to see how it pulls after the engine mods first. Now the issues! 4 into 4 pipes seem non existent now. Am i best off finding some generic aftermarkets and fabbing some mounts? Also can the cams and springs be swapped without removing the engine? Any help appreciated. Great to be here.
  16. Im going to have the carb off my bike maybe tomorrow, so i was wondering if instead of rebuilding it and not being able to ride it for a few days, if i could buy a vmax carb. Would it be possible to give it more power this way? Or will it just flood out the engine?
  17. Well I finally made the plunge. I have not been happy with 5th gear since I have owned this bike. So I finally broke down and swapped out the differential for one with the Vmax gears. That changes the gear ratio from about 3.3/1 to about 3.6/1. Not a drastic change but oh what a difference in handling. This is the gear that should have been in the Venture from the factory. No more bucking and lugging. Fifth is now usable from under 40 to over 100 mph. The bike is much more responsive at all speeds and in all gears. Slow speed cruising in first is much improved as well. So thanks Freebird. Your article in the Tech section convinced me to go ahead and give it a try. John Furber at RMSportmax was easy to work with and got the gears to me quickly. Mike
  18. My question for today is; Will a 1200 Vmax TCI plug-n-play on my 1985 Venture? It seems to make sense because I have Vmax cams . . .
  19. Does anyone know if swapping out the rear end for a vmax unit changes the speedometer reading? Thanks Mike
  20. I got the rear housing / gears from a VMax and swapped this out with mine on the 2008 RSTD. I don't have the rear wheel back on as yet as I wanted to take the time to check the drive pins before re-installing. My questions are; on the forum someone mentions two special tools required to change the drive housing. One, I assume, is to hold the coupling up inside of the fork tube to make it easier to get the drive shaft spline into it. The other is for some sort of bearing retainer? I didn't have either tool. One thing I did do was to start the driveshaft into the coupler, then push it into the housing aligning the spring, etc. Then I slid the entire assembly together and started the acorn nuts. Anything I may have missed on the rear housing end by doing this?
  21. OK, I'm new(oob) to this forum so maybe I'm just not adept at searching yet but I'm sure I saw a thread with instructions and part numbers for replacing the shifter segment with a VMax or later model Venture. This is to fix the loose dowel pin issue. Ride safe, Mike
  22. Thought you guys might get a kick out of this.
  23. Found another Vmax front rim for a decent price, this one is straight unlike last one I got. The seller did cheerfully refund money & shipping, plus didn't want rim back. $8 in scrap aluminum. Little bit of shimming and get the just broke in Avon on it and it will be one step closer to being a born again VMax. This one doesn't have red stripe though. But I do have a vinyl cutter I just got from my brother in law, so I might try cutting stripes for it. Gary
  24. http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/the-projector/ghost-rider-spirit-vengeance-either-going-stupid-awesome-210013120.html Looks like sporting a Vmax this time.
  25. I hooked up my Morgan Carbtune last night trying to get this 93 up and running, and it will not pull any of the sliders on the Carbtune up at all. If you rev it up, still nothing, but on deceleration they move slightly. Anybody have this issue before? I keep the Carbtune in its case, but maybe it needs cleaning? Or is it something with the bike? Thanks for any ideas. I have a Vmax, so I know the Carbtune is properly hooked up.