IGNORED

How many inches can a royal star venture be lowered

I'm 5'6" tall and thinking about purchasing a 2000 royal star venture. I would like to know how many inches it can be lowered and what options there are to lower it. I would especially like to here from anyone else who is vertically challenged and owns this bike

Hi, I am 5'5" have an 06 RSV so I guess I have some experience with your question. Barons has a kit to lower front and rear, or you can lower front by sliding fork tubes up in the tree. I chose to go with the Corbin seat and the one I have was made even lower then most. I can flat foot with no other mods to the bike. If you went with this seat and the lowering kits you would really have no trouble flat-footing. I wanted to maintain the stock ground clearance so I havent lowered the bike yet. A good pair of boots, and a good understanding of gravity will also help. :080402gudl_prv:

Craig

I'm in the same situation. Currently on an '07 Roadstar but looking at an '09 or'11 Venture. I am 5'6" with a 28" inseam. I carry my wife who is shorter and 25lbs. heavier than me. Hope I can lower it a few inches without losing the cushy ride or otherwise compromising the ride quality. I also have a problem with having a heavier passenger in that in stop & go slow traffic it's hard to maintain a straight line. Don't know if the Venture would be any better than the Roadie in that respect. Or do I really need to look at a wing with it's lower CG? Wife is 64, recently had knee replacement surgery and she has arthritis in her back and osteoporosis pretty bad so that's why were looking at the cushiest ride possible. But sure don't want to lay that puppy down with her on it. We talked about looking at a Can-Am Spyder but that ain't no bike. Looks like a sled to me. Might as well say "ski-doo" on it.

All I see on Baron's web site is the rear kit which only lowers it one inch > http://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/display/565/index.html The instructions suggest increasing the suspension air pressure to 30-40psi to prevent bottoming out. Has that proven to be really necessary? What have most of you set yours to?

Edited by Griz1

Had Baron kit on my 2006 RSV when I bought it this year. Bike handled very badly with it, bottomed out and was unstable and scraped pipes in turns. Two up was even worse even with rear shock at max psi. :bang head: Once I returned to its stock height it became a much better and stable ride. :cool10:

Would not recommend lowering this bike. Now I know some folks have done it and swear by it, but for me it was not good. Some have had their seat modified instead which sounds like a better option.:322:

I know it's not what we all want but my wife also has osteoporosis and some other issues that make putting down the bike with her on it not an option, trike kit will remove any worries if you can afford the change over and these bikes make fantastic trikes. better than having to stop taking her with you or risking her life.:backinmyday: :confused24:

Think twice before you lower the bike. Consider ground clearance left after lowered. I am an inch shorter than you and did not lower my RSV. I am 180 lbs, button wife is 55 lbs lighter than me. However, I do take my 5'9" 200 lb 13 year old son for a ride time to time with no problems.

Make sure any luggage you carry is balanced left and right every time you ride.

When I got done with my RSV, it was about 8 inches from the head light, then zero inches from the dash board, then 5 inches (maybe) from the TOP of the seat, then zero inches from its tail light and maybe one inch from its side as it sat on its saddle bag and side edges of its tires..

I do not recommend you lower yours in this manor...ever...

When I got done with my RSV, it was about 8 inches from the head light, then zero inches from the dash board, then 5 inches (maybe) from the TOP of the seat, then zero inches from its tail light and maybe one inch from its side as it sat on its saddle bag and side edges of its tires..

I do not recommend you lower yours in this manor...ever...

The steamroller that got you is still out cruising the highways.....

• 2 weeks later...

I lowered the rear the full 2" but it bottomed out too much so I went up to the 1.25" or something like that. The front fork tubes I put up to the handlebars but they bottomed out too so I went back to about 3/4". Also make sure the air in the shocks is at the proper pressure.

• 6 years later...
Hi, I am 5'5" have an 06 RSV so I guess I have some experience with your question. Barons has a kit to lower front and rear, or you can lower front by sliding fork tubes up in the tree. I chose to go with the Corbin seat and the one I have was made even lower then most. I can flat foot with no other mods to the bike. If you went with this seat and the lowering kits you would really have no trouble flat-footing. I wanted to maintain the stock ground clearance so I havent lowered the bike yet. A good pair of boots, and a good understanding of gravity will also help. :080402gudl_prv:

Craig

Hi.. I just purchased a 1983 Venture ..I am 5 ft 6 , I have extended and lower several bikes in the past and I do not see that this Venture will be any harder than the ones I have done in the past ..I will custom fit the seat and build a kit for the rear wheel . When sliding the fork tubes you have to remember that rake angle will change and will effect the handling . Have always found that small changes is better than to make radical changes at once .

larrydr

I've toyed with this idea too. I'm 5'6". I can flat foot when I have good hiking or riding boots on, so I've decided I'm OK with that. I think I've got 45 pounds in the rear shocks and zero in the front. I know for sure the front is zero.

My wife is the same height but heavier than I, ergo, I've no problem when riding two-up. I have thought about the seat mod that I believe someone on this forum does. I'm just nervous about altering the seat because I do not want to upset the comfort of the bike/seat. I can ride all day without getting a sore butt. Stock seat, that speaks volumes in my book.