IGNORED

Helpful Hints Requested for two RSV issues

The first issue is that when the key is inserted into the ignition switch it won't turn. After fiddling with it for a while it turns. I first sprayed some WD40 down the key hole and that didn't seem to help. Next I sprayed some Liquid Wrench penetration oil down the key hole and that didn't help. The key is the OE key ??

The second issue is that when the key does turn to ON, I depress the start button and I hear only one click. Repeated button depressions followed by one click and the starter finally engages and spins with the engine starting. The battery is new and fully charged. ???

Are these typical issues with the RSV? Any helpful hints on what to do to fix them would be appreciated.

Generally I would say yes those are fairly common issues.

First question is do you have the key code that came with the original keys? That is a small tag with 4 or 5 numbers stamped on it, with those numbers a locksmith can punch a new key that will be as good as the one from the factory. If all you have is a worn key and get it copied all you have is a copy of a worn key. It may be better than the original worn key but not much and not for long. Generally it is never a good idea to put liquid lubes in a key hole, they attract dirt and collect particles of metal as the key and tumblers wear. I would recommend cleaning the key slot with some good plastic safe contact or brake cleaner to drive out the oil and dry out the inside, then use a dry lube specifically designed for locks, I use graphite.

The electrical switch on the Ventures and many other Royal Stars are weak and minimally robust enough for the current that Yamaha puts through them, they are known to fail, just in the manner you are describing. There is a fellow here on the site , Dion, djh3 that makes a bypass electrical jumper that removes most of the load from the ignition switch, you may want to look into one of those.

Ditto on Dion's Ignition bypass relay. Plug and play. Super easy to install. 1st thing I recommend that anyone should do on RSV's and RSTD's.

Ditto on cleaning out the stuff you put in the switch and using graphite instead. I use NAPA Lock-Ease. One can will last you a lifetime for all your vehicles.

I can punch new "Factory-like" keys for these motorcycles with or without the keycode. I have all the information in the Classifieds section. Or contact me for more information.

I acquired the tools and supplies to make these after having the same issue with my key turning.

I have both of the original keys to my RSV. The one I was using appears to be the one the original owner always used. It is a little worn looking. It's attached to the dealer key chain. The other key looks like it was never used. So, I tried it and it took only 2 tries to get the key to turn. So, the worn key idea was a good suggestion.