IGNORED

Asking for opinions

Bemental

Hello all!

I just purchased a 1985 Venture Royale. I am real excited about putting some miles on this bike. Your forum help me check many components before making the buy, and so far it seems like a great bike. I have found some manuals online, and got the original owner's manual(water damaged)with the bike. I recently refurbished my 1986 Yamaha radian. I could use some help learning the finer points of the air suspension, and what everyone prefers for tires, oil, and plugs. Thanks to all who respond!

Tires and oil are both popcorn time. Lots of opinions and they may all be good. Sticking with Jaso rated oil would be my recommendation. Tires? Anything that fits and has the proper rating. Dunlop elites seem to be a favorite as well as a less expensive Shinko.

If you haven't gone to the tech section you should and read all about the Gen Is.

Other than the normal stuff like brakes, tires, wheel bearings, head bearings, wire connectors, light bulbs, switches, rust and polish, leaky gaskets, torn seats, cracked tupperware, scratched windshield, leaky forks, there is some other stuff that might be hidden.

Poor starter, cracked starter clutch, worn clutch plates, but most of all,,, missing second gear and that would depend on the vin number. The thrust washer that caused the 2nd gear issue was upgraded mid 85, but I don't know the vin number of the change. @Parriehammer would know this maybe.

Welcome to the Forum.

Tires: I'm a fan of Shinko's

Oil: I'm a fan of Rotella with a Wix filter, change every 3k

Air: I run my front with maybe 1 psi, rears at 40

Plugs: I run stock what the manual calls for, replaced my boots a couple years back.

I ride mostly afternoons in the country, never out of state. I put maybe 6k miles a year on my 83, mostly country cruising speeds, occasionally wide open :whistling:

Which tires are best is a huge topic. I'm using a set of Dunlop E3, and I like em enough to use E4 next time around. I did not like the Metzler Marathons r/t uneven wear and cupping. There are a lot of good tire choices.

Oil: another big subject, but an overwhelming number of folks here and in the Vmax world prefer to use good ol' Rotella T4 (non-synthetic) 15 40. T5 and T6 are semi and full synthetic and many of us avoid that and just use conventional Rotella. It's listed as a diesel oil but it works quite well. I use in both my 1st gen Vmax and Venture and have been for a few years now.

For filters, really avoid Fram or any Chinese no-names. NAPA Golds are WIX and great quality. There are other parts house brands that are decent and some to avoid, but those escape my brain right now. There is an oil thread here somewhere (probably many) that talk about the best filters to use.

Congrats on your new bike!

Unlike SOME CANADIANS I am much less opinionated this early in the DAY!

Now there once was this Canadian feller went of to California'a! He went a cruising one Californian rainless day in his kinda old ford thru demdare hills.!

He got'so inspired he wrote himself a tune, it goes somethin like ;)

Asking for opinions on this site could be dangerous: :rotf::nanner:

That is a totally unfair statement :backinmyday:

This forum is known to be very open and friendly with opinions :biker:

and opinions, and opinions, and opinions, and opinions, and opinions, and opinions, and opinions, and opinions,and opinions, :confused07:

Ok you may have a point there :detective:

Now there once was this Canadian feller went of to California'a! He went a cruising one Californian rainless day in his kinda old ford thru demdare hills.!

Yeh but you make up for it the other 23 hours :beer:

Sure this aint more your speed patch

OH Brothers, :canada: leave it to the Canadians to forkup a perfectly fare question/opinion request:duck:

I told y'all it was dangerous, darn Canadians. LOL

Well I guess this American did open the door, just a little. Hit, Run, Watch the fun.