New Star Venture

10spd

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do not like it much, looks like a cross breed of a Stratoliner/Voyager/Victory.

They did add some nice features, ABS, dual zone audio and reverse/parking helper.

Yamaha really betrayed the Venture name and tradition by going with a V-Twin, I am pretty disappointed all in all.

I will probably ride one just because, but VERY doubtful I would consider dumping the wing to get one.

I do like it. Shame on v4 but I'm ok with air cooled. No more plumbing issues.

Like the combined braking with abs, standard heated seats, low ride height, forward and reverse power assist for parking, traction control, riding modes, integrated audio system, voice, touch screen or handle bar controls for audio, controls, winds protection adjustable, advanced throttle, all electronic no more cruise cables or throttle cables, six speed, belt drive, same length as RSV but heavier. Also really like the huge alternator... Over 700 watts!

All in all I think they did a good job!!!

bike looks bad ass. unsure why its air cooled

Economics. Cheaper to build than the V4. After thinking about it a while, the Vmax is 18K MSRP without the fairings, heated seats, etc. MSRP on the Stratoliner when they were building it was around 11K IIRC and the Strat Deluxe was around 14K, don't remember exactly, but way cheaper than the Vmax. I would bet the new Venture with the V4 would be at least 2-3K higher base MSRP. So now you are talking 28-30K.

Oh my! Thats repugnant! Is this what we have been waiting for? It looks quite bulky and confused about what it is.

Unless its 188hp at 7500rpm and 145tq by 2000rpm its another drop in a very big bucket full of big twin cruisers. Side profile not bad but generic and mundane considering all the other bikes out there just like it from at least 5 other manufacturers. Do we have a spec sheet yet?

Im terribly disappointed but not terribly surprised. Maybe it will be different in person but the front view is pretty far from clean and flowing. :icon_lurker:

I guess we'll see how it is recieved by those present.

Being a v twin air cooled belt driven, it kinda has lost its identity imo, if that's what I want in a motorcycle I have a lot of choices, but it's not what I want, I'll ride my 2004 RSV a few more years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks OK but a Kawasaki Voyager is a LOT less! (Around Cdn$20,000) less if a holdover model.

At $27,000 (I'm guessing US$) the New Venture would be around Cdn$36,500 plus taxes so around $40k ROTFLMAO!!!!

Edited by Kretz

Lot of pro's with the options like the infotainment system, keyless ignition, heated everything, high output alternator, parking assist (not sure what the forward assist is), lots of lights, electronic adjust windscreen, ABS (linked), 6 gears ....

The luggage capacity is the larger than the RSV...the RSV has 33.6 gallon, the new Venture is total 37.3 gallons

957lbs vs 869lbs on the RSV

Negatives (for me) ....

- air cooled v-twin

- belt drive

- no heel/toe shifter

Biggest negative... @ $26,999 (with Transcontinental package) that works out to about $36,450 with exchange. Ontario taxes are 13% so that brings it up to $41,186 CDN.

I paid $14,000 CDN for my '09 (used 2 months with 2,500km on it). At that time, brand new were selling for $20,000 CDN

Comparison (Canadian pricing on 2017 models) :

Honda Goldwing w/ABS - $31,000

Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic - $32,880

V-twins typically get less distance on the motor than the 4 cylinder Venture (my opinion)

Would I like to take one on a test ride - Yes

Do I like the additional features - Yes

Would a Yamaha V-Twin prevent me from considering buying one - No

Would belt drive prevent me from considering buying one - No

Would the price prevent me from considering buying one - YES. Now....if it had a 4 cylinder I'd be watching for a used one in a year or so.

The crowd reacted positively but the price is the major stopper. I like the looks and it has features I'd like, but comparing it to the 6 cylinder Goldwing.... they are priced too high.

I like the looks and it has features I'd like, but comparing it to the 6 cylinder Goldwing.... they are priced too high.

Unfortunately, Yamaha stopped trying to compete with the Goldwing in 1993. They could, they have just chosen not to, instead trying to follow the Harley business model of selling motorcycle lifestyle.

Yamaha builds a good motorcycle, the new one has ABS and retains the Star 5 year warranty, something still unmatched in the industry. If I wanted and were to buy a V twin air cooled touring bike, it would be Yamaha just based on the overall reliability, dealer network, etc. If I re-enter the motorcycle market, it will likely be a newer used FJR with cruise or a used 1800 Wing with ABS.

I like it.

wish it wasn't Aircooled, and 4750 redline? Seriously? Wow.

i wanna ride it to see.

So I would blow it up, Wow that is crazy.... I love 5000 and above sliding back on the seat against the sadle edge lol... Ok seriously I would rebuild a v4 and try to put it on this bike, and Jeff thinks he will have EFI ready in a year.... hummmmm