IGNORED

Any OEM headset alternatives?

Hello, I would like to use Eluder GT's CB radio, as well as the Intercom features and hear the radio through a headset. Now I'm looking at Yamaha's OEM accessory headset which is actually the J&M and I just can't see forking out 700 bucks to get myself and wife hooked up. Thats two headsets, passenger connection kit, headset connection cord, passenger ext. cord. So is there a more affordable option out there like the bluetooth headsets & do I lose some of the built-in features of the infotainment system going the cordless route?

Hello, I would like to use Eluder GT's CB radio, as well as the Intercom features and hear the radio through a headset. Now I'm looking at Yamaha's OEM accessory headset which is actually the J&M and I just can't see forking out 700 bucks to get myself and wife hooked up. Thats two headsets, passenger connection kit, headset connection cord, passenger ext. cord. So is there a more affordable option out there like the bluetooth headsets & do I lose some of the built-in features of the infotainment system going the cordless route?

Sierra Electronics sells the headsets and lower cords at a lower cost https://www.sierra-mc.com/

I purchased the below ( 2 sets) they work fine, the extension can only be purchased from Yamaha. Hope this helps.

[TABLE=class: MsoNormalTable, width: 100]

[TR]

[TD] JM-HC-ZYH

[/TD]

[TD] J&M Z-Series Lower 8-pin Headset Cord for 1998-2019 Harley 7-pin Audio Systems - J&M Elite 801 ONLY

[/TD]

[TD]

$58.50

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] JM-HS-EHI801-UNV-XHO

[/TD]

[TD] J&M Elite 801 Series Helmet Headset Universal-Style for most Open/Flip-up/Full-Face Style Helmets

[/TD]

[TD]

$154.99

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I see Sena makes a system called the Freewire. They advertise it for the Honda Goldwing and Harley models. I wonder if it would work on the SVTC/Eluder seeing how it has a similar audio/com output connection as the Harley. If it does that would give access to all the bikes audio/com features with the use of a Sena headset. I guess if I had to shell out big bucks for a com/audio unit I'd rather not have cords dangling in the breeze. Anyone here have experience with the Freewire on either the Venture or Eluder that can confirm its compatibility?

I see Sena makes a system called the Freewire. They advertise it for the Honda Goldwing and Harley models. I wonder if it would work on the SVTC/Eluder seeing how it has a similar audio/com output connection as the Harley. If it does that would give access to all the bikes audio/com features with the use of a Sena headset. I guess if I had to shell out big bucks for a com/audio unit I'd rather not have cords dangling in the breeze. Anyone here have experience with the Freewire on either the Venture or Eluder that can confirm its compatibility?

Didn't read through all of this but, Here Ya Go!

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?135681-Sena-Freewire-works-on-the-2018-Venture

And this:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?135689-Take-your-2018-Star-Venture-wireless-with-Sena-Freewire

• 3 weeks later...

Look at what Sierra Electronics have to offer: https://www.sierra-mc.com/

These guys know their stuff, with prices that are better than anywhere else I have seen... I've been using them exclusively for over 15 years for my Goldwing and Yamaha headset needs. Give them a call and they can tell you what besides J&M will work on the bike. I usually stick with J&M as I've rarely had a problem with their equipment.

IMC offers 5, 6, and 7 pin headsets to install in helmets - Sierra has them for about $80/set. Sierra will also install in the your helmet for you (i've done this in the past - their turnaround is usually real quick) - or buy a new helmet with the headset already installed (done this too and greatly satisfied).

• 8 months later...

I have the free wire using that Sena 20S, works fine except you get an echo on the phone . . . not sure why.  I flip flop one whether I have the phone paired directly to the Sena or have the phone paired to the bike.   As far as the rest of the functionality it works fine, CB, Radio and comms . . . the thing we loved about the Sena is that we could talk seamlessly with out having to push any buttons when we made the initial connection to each other.  When using the comms on the bike you obviously have to push the button, but in the rare case where wind is being picked up by the mic and causing your mic to pic it up using the bike comms is better.  There are more pros than cons that's why we stayed with it.  I like it.  

• Like 1

I recently bought my Eluder and would like to add a Blue Tooth Headset to work the Infotainment as well as communicate with other's using a Sena. My brothers both use a Bell Mag 9 with the Sena 10 built in to the helmet. Is this a good alternative or should I be looking at something else? I typically wear a half helmet but the Mag 9 is a 3/4 helmet with a visor. 

The Mag 9 looks good, should work just fine.  I'm not sure of all the functionality of the 10, but I'm sure it's a good device.  Talk with your brothers and find out if they have connection issues with their phones or to each other and if they use it with others that are not using the 10.  Either device you go with you will still need to get the Sena Freewire to connect to the bike and then connect wirelessly to the Sena 10.  Unfortunately there is no direct connection to the bike for blue tooth comms.  

2 hours ago, dragonstorm said:

The Mag 9 looks good, should work just fine.  I'm not sure of all the functionality of the 10, but I'm sure it's a good device.  Talk with your brothers and find out if they have connection issues with their phones or to each other and if they use it with others that are not using the 10.  Either device you go with you will still need to get the Sena Freewire to connect to the bike and then connect wirelessly to the Sena 10.  Unfortunately there is no direct connection to the bike for blue tooth comms.  

I did not know about the Freewire, thank you. Does that connect to the headset port on the tank and then wireless to the Sena Headset?

Yes, there are two links above to info on how the person put on their bike.  I used that and more or less did the same thing they did.  The only thing I have an issue with is when connecting the phone to the bike I get an echo on phone calls.  Not sure why and no one has seemed to find out how to fix it.  I am able to (on the 20S) connect to the freewire and then to my phone as well and not having the phone connected to the bike and it works fine.  Sometimes it's nice to have the texts come up on the screen so  you can decided if you need to stop and deal with it or not.  But with my phone i have the auto reply on when it's connected to the Sena to tell anyone to call me.  Like I said above there are pros and cons but for me the pros out weigh the cons.  

1 hour ago, dragonstorm said:

Yes, there are two links above to info on how the person put on their bike.  I used that and more or less did the same thing they did.  The only thing I have an issue with is when connecting the phone to the bike I get an echo on phone calls.  Not sure why and no one has seemed to find out how to fix it.  I am able to (on the 20S) connect to the freewire and then to my phone as well and not having the phone connected to the bike and it works fine.  Sometimes it's nice to have the texts come up on the screen so  you can decided if you need to stop and deal with it or not.  But with my phone i have the auto reply on when it's connected to the Sena to tell anyone to call me.  Like I said above there are pros and cons but for me the pros out weigh the cons.  

Thanks for the info. My bike is an Eluder, not GT, so has no CB or NAV. Not sure the price of the Freewire will pay off without those features. I guess you can control the Infotainment with your voice though