IGNORED

Puc and Tips: Fun With Guns thread! Sharing ours and hopefully you will share yours!

cowpuc

My friend and yours, our fellow club member @videoarizona must have noticed a comment I had made about building an AR so VAz sent me a PM asking me to explain. Those big ol :Bunny2: of yours must have also been ringing LOUD ya lop eared varmint cause me and @Condor been yakkin up a storm about guns for EVER :Laugh:.. Anyway, my response to David's PM was a simple one that went something like this: "I think I will start a thread about it all to compete with your "Riding in sunshine while the rest of you are FREEZING thread" (which I TOTALLY have enjoyed following!!).. So,, lets get started!!

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice looking weapon you should make a video of shooting it I would like to see how it handles and with all 3 chokes. I got myself a Christmas present also it is a Glock 22 police trade in the ad said that it did not come with the extras like the back straps mags and so on and was used and had usual wear and tear,let me tell you when I received it everything that came from the factory was there and it did not have a scratch on it or holster wear anywhere when I tore it apart the barrel and trigger assembly did not have a speck of dirt or a scratch I don't even think it has been fired and I got it dirt cheap. I have since added a Sight Mark laser to it and will go to the range this weekend with my Taurus Judge and I am picking up a brand new Springfield Armory XD-E .45 single stack tomorrow to try since I have never fired a Springfield of any kind before.

Glock.jpg

I don't have anything new... I can't afford it. Picked up 5 Nikon Black X1000 6-24x50 60moa Long range rifle scopes at an auction. In the world of LR scopes it's not the cheapest, but I think it's the best bang for the buck available. And it's hard to beat Nikon glass quality... So, $2000 bucks later I'm :mo money:.... The ironic part about it is I only wanted 2... :-) Gotta stop raising that damn paddle...:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

I don't have anything new... I can't afford it. Picked up 5 Nikon Black X1000 6-24x50 60moa Long range rifle scopes at an auction. In the world of LR scopes it's not the cheapest, but I think it's the best bang for the buck available. And it's hard to beat Nikon glass quality... So, $2000 bucks later I'm :mo money:.... The ironic part about it is I only wanted 2... :-) Gotta stop raising that damn paddle...:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

Jack are the scopes duplex crosshair or thin? May be interested in one for my 7mm.

Jack are the scopes duplex crosshair or thin? May be interested in one for my 7mm.

Hey Slowroller.. Yep I planed on putting one on my 7mm also, and one on my 338RUM as well. They do have 30mm tubes. Here's a video on the scope and they get into the reticle pretty quick.. Found a better video than the first one I posted. If you're interested give me a shout...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f5u02WnbyM

Edited by Condor

Mean while, back at da ranch..

Got my new shooter back together and ready to go. Gotta say that I was VERY impressed with the quality of the machine. I did some checking on the manufacturer of this cool little shooter BEFORE placing a bid on it and found out some interesting things about them. Probably due to my management background in manufacturing, one of the foremost things I found out about them was the fact that they are ISO 9000 certified - this clearly shows in the quality of this relatively inexpensive piece of shooting iron (it took some patience but I ended up winning this clay pigeon popper on a well known gun auction site for just over 200 bucks!!).

Nice looking weapon you should make a video of shooting it I would like to see how it handles and with all 3 chokes. I got myself a Christmas present also it is a Glock 22 police trade in the ad said that it did not come with the extras like the back straps mags and so on and was used and had usual wear and tear,let me tell you when I received it everything that came from the factory was there and it did not have a scratch on it or holster wear anywhere when I tore it apart the barrel and trigger assembly did not have a speck of dirt or a scratch I don't even think it has been fired and I got it dirt cheap. I have since added a Sight Mark laser to it and will go to the range this weekend with my Taurus Judge and I am picking up a brand new Springfield Armory XD-E .45 single stack tomorrow to try since I have never fired a Springfield of any kind before.

After taking my new ar15 out and running 50 rounds of ammo thru it, we decided that the AR platform did not fit her well (she needed the angular comb of the traditional shotgun but still LOVED the pistol grip design of the AR!). I actually planned on getting video of this TuffTom but, in the excitement of it all I forgot my camera. I PROMISE I will video a clay busting extravaganza in the very near future of both my AR15/FR98 and her FX4 in action! With the shooting experience under our belts of having shot the AR, we looked at several options (over unders, side by sides and so on), then I went to back to Gunbroker and came out of auction with this sweet little semi auto 12 for a measly 116 bucks!! We excitedly look forward to getting back out as a shooting team in the very near future (as soon as this -0 weather departs western Michigan!). @videoarizona, at the time of this writing 1/26/2019, I am still waiting for upper receiver parts for the 556/223 Wylde chambered AR15 I am building. I did manage to give you a little :stickpoke: about the build in this vid though!! It looks like, not including the dual feed drum mag that cost me 89 bucks, the total build is going to come in well under 300 bucks! As soon as the rest of the parts get in I will post a video of that completed build and also of it's field testing. WHAT A FUN WINTER!!

One simple way to double the ammo capacity of a 12 gauge shotgun is to use the new Aguila minishells (https://www.aguilaammo.com/shotshell/). They are 1.75" long which means that a typical pump action shotgun can hold about twice as many compared to standard shells. I thought that they might also be quieter than standard size shells, but experimenting at the range proved to me that hearing protection is still required. My Mossberg 590 required an adapter made by OPSol (http://www.opsolmini-clip.com/) for the shells to cycle properly. Takes about 2 seconds to stick the little adapter into the area where shells travel. It may be possible that other guns wouldn't require the OPSol adapter. When I ordered the minishells, I emailed Mossberg to see what they might recommend. Totally excellent customer support and a quick recommendation to get the OPSol part. I was blown away by the quality of Mossberg's quick and accurate customer support.

Just thought you guys might be interested.

zag

PS In case you might be interested, I wasn't able to find the Aguila minishells at local gun shops - they had zero idea of what I was asking for. I bought some online from Buds Gun Shop (https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/search.php/type/Ammunition/caliber/10000533-12+Gauge/sort/per-round-asc) but the shipping of $10 cost almost as much as the box of shells. Since these aren't shells that I would just blast off at the range, I figured it was worth it.

Edited by zagger

One simple way to double the ammo capacity of a 12 gauge shotgun is to use the new Aguila minishells (https://www.aguilaammo.com/shotshell/). They are 1.75" long which means that a typical pump action shotgun can hold about twice as many compared to standard shells. I thought that they might also be quieter than standard size shells, but experimenting at the range proved to me that hearing protection is still required. My Mossberg 590 required an adapter made by OPSol (http://www.opsolmini-clip.com/) for the shells to cycle properly. Takes about 2 seconds to stick the little adapter into the area where shells travel. It may be possible that other guns wouldn't require the OPSol adapter. When I ordered the minishells, I emailed Mossberg to see what they might recommend. Totally excellent customer support and a quick recommendation to get the OPSol part. I was blown away by the quality of Mossberg's quick and accurate customer support.

Just thought you guys might be interested.

zag

Here's the tube extender taking Tip's FX4 out to 8 rounds (7 in the tube and 1 in the pipe). I haven't grabbed one for her yet cause I figure if she cant hit a clay pigeon with 5 try's of 1 1/8th ounces of 7 1/2 shot hitting the sky at 1250 fps a couple more bangs aint gonna help her much.. :guitarist 2:

Here's the extender Case:https://fedarm.com/product/fx3_fx4_mag_extension/ ,,, :think: only 28 bucks,, :scratchchin: maybe I will get it for her for Mothers Day :happy65:

After taking my new ar15 out and running 50 rounds of ammo thru it, we decided that the AR platform did not fit her well (she needed the angular comb of the traditional shotgun but still LOVED the pistol grip design of the AR!). I actually planned on getting video of this TuffTom but, in the excitement of it all I forgot my camera. I PROMISE I will video a clay busting extravaganza in the very near future of both my AR15/FR98 and her FX4 in action! With the shooting experience under our belts of having shot the AR, we looked at several options (over unders, side by sides and so on), then I went to back to Gunbroker and came out of auction with this sweet little semi auto 12 for a measly 116 bucks!! We excitedly look forward to getting back out as a shooting team in the very near future (as soon as this -0 weather departs western Michigan!). videoarizona, at the time of this writing 1/26/2019, I am still waiting for upper receiver parts for the 556/223 Wylde chambered AR15 I am building. I did manage to give you a little :stickpoke: about the build in this vid though!! It looks like, not including the dual feed drum mag that cost me 89 bucks, the total build is going to come in well under 300 bucks! As soon as the rest of the parts get in I will post a video of that completed build and also of it's field testing. WHAT A FUN WINTER!!

Sometimes I think the northern winters allow too much time for indoor foolery. On a note of your 100 rnd. double magazine, have you charged the rascal with ammo yet? I prefer the AK platform and have a 100 rnd. drum for it. Now that I have surpassed seven decades plus nearly three more years It is one heavy machine. But h3!! a forty rnd magazine is heavy too. I hunt with mine and only use a five rnd. magazine and that is very doable. Now granted the 7.65x39 round has more weight than the .223.

Keep em coming my north central friend, it is good for the soul and mind. Hope your weather improves, it is 54 here today.:sun::scorched::sun::scorched:

:farmer:

Sometimes I think the northern winters allow too much time for indoor foolery. On a note of your 100 rnd. double magazine, have you charged the rascal with ammo yet? I prefer the AK platform and have a 100 rnd. drum for it. Now that I have surpassed seven decades plus nearly three more years It is one heavy machine. But h3!! a forty rnd magazine is heavy too. I hunt with mine and only use a five rnd. magazine and that is very doable. Now granted the 7.65x39 round has more weight than the .223.

Keep em coming my north central friend, it is good for the soul and mind. Hope your weather improves, it is 54 here today.:sun::scorched::sun::scorched:

You might be 100% right on the winter brain strain thing there Sly,, it has been -7 windchills here of late. Couple that with the FACT that Flyinfool's been fairly active for us - we are suppose to get another 2 to 4 inches of his White Wash tonight and another 8 inches on Monday,,,, well that definitely is a good foundation for cabin fever.

On the 100 rd drum feed, in building this shooter from the ground up one of the basics is the need for some form of magazine. I know, for a few bucks I coulda grabbed a 10 rounder,,, or even a 20. Thing is though, all of my biken buddies here (Harley riding bunch, always carrying on and on about me riding a cheap ol beat up 1st Gen) are shooters just like you and I. I helped one of the build a brand new Dyna up to 117 Cubes cause he thought it would somehow be able to compete with my little 1000cc R1. It is sooooo much fun to run beside him on that big ol noise maker and then when we hit 100 mph with him in 4th gear to be able to grab 2nd and loft my front wheel = get it? The point of this 100 rounder is exactly that,,, a sort of being one step ahead of this bunch of lop eared geezer varmints I call my buddies.

I no longer hunt. I used to be an avid deer harvester but those days are long gone. Now the shooting is all about fun. We are surrounded by thousands and thousands of acreage we own (here its called State Land). There is HUGE valley with a river flowing thru it that dumps into Muskegon Lake which dumps into Lake Michigan. That valley is about 5 miles wide in spots and it is all swamp land (lined with AWESOME climbing hills that, as kids we developed/earned our motorcycle hill climbing skills on). It is a RIOT to take a post on one of those hills and to be able to target shoot into the swamp/valley below. Clay Pigeon shooting is also allowed as long as you use real Clay Pigeons so they disenigrate (turn back to dirt) in the valley below. I just picked up a really cool Range Finder that is good for 1600 yards. The plan is to fill the mag, be able to walk to a comfortable edge over looking the valley, range out some pieces of bark in the swamp and blast away - OLD PEOPLES FUN!! One of the reasons I decided to stay with the 556 is that of which you speak - lighter to tote. Another is the VAST amound of cool ammo to try out (I used to reload and have no real interest in going back into that pain staking endeavor at this point). I know of at least one VERY good source for TRACERS at less then .30 a round!!! I have had numerous AK's in 7.62x39 and never really had a good long distance shooter in them. Back in the 80's, around here anyway, the gun shows had CASES and CASES of SKS's - brand new still in cosmoline for well under 100 bucks a pop including Bayonette and cleaning kit. I bought 5 of them at one time once to see if I could get a good shooter (something that would do sub MOA at 100 yards).. Just didnt happen. I even tryed Romanian and Russian AK's,, suckers wouldnt work for me. In the end, for the "fun hunt" (last deer of the season) I just ended up hunting with my 29 Smith or my 1911 and called it good.

Another one now that really has my interest is this new a17 Savage semi that is chambered for the 17hmr! That round (the 17) has been really difficult for the manufactures to get to work properly in a semi (both Ruger and Remington took a shot at it and failed) cause of the higher pressures. I guess Savage figured it out and are now using a delayed blow back to make it work. I been hearing good things about them, think they would be fun shooters BUT WOWZY WOW WOW WOW, try to find one in the 200 dollar range (can buy a brand new 22 mag Ruger for that)! Suckers are selling for 4 bills and that is WAYYYY to much dollar for the fun we would have with one...

WOWZY can I :Im not listening to.. Sorry Sly,, guns is like motorcycles around this house.. :Im not listening to

I understand your frustrations on the .17. Not my cup of tea but have friends that love them. .22 mag. works very well for me and since I am retired I have to live with what I have. Back to my hunting...was raised and hunted Nebraska until 36 years old. Nebraska is range country and a shot at a white tail is either 200-300 yds (using a .30/06 accelerator, or if in what little tree stand area you hunt then my .45-70 worked well. Now I live in North Carolina which is covered in trees, therefore the 7.62x39 is great with 100 yd. shots a far shot. The .45-70 would work great but at my age the recoil and blast is more than I can take.

Love your posts. Stay warm and keep healthy.

I also bought 3 SKS rifles. I found out there are 2 versions, one has a pinned in place barrel and the other has a threaded in barrel. I heard the the pinned barrel is very hard to impossible to get to shoot good. 2 of my 3 were threaded barrels. All the rest of the parts were interchangeable. Between the 3 and a bit of customizing, I was able to get one to shoot sub MOA, but only with reloads. Recently a buddy of mine found four 50 cal ammo cans, in a hidden compartment in his basement, full of an unknown brand of 7.62x39, He gave them to me for proper disposal.:thumbsup:

cowpuc, didn't know how much knowledge you have in the differences between 556 and 223....so I wanted to learn myself and found this....

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

Myself....if I was younger, I think I would like to play around with the 5.7 round. Costs bux but would be fun to play with...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_5.7%C3%9728mm

Anyway. I'm a novice at this stuff....but was an expert shooter in the military. Did enjoy it then but no longer have the muscle co-ordination or steadiness of my youth!

I burned through thousands of rounds in my earlier years but don't shoot much anymore. At the rate I shoot now I should plenty of ammo for life. This is my version of fun with guns now. IMG_0581.jpg I hunt some for food but love to watch the kids on a hunt.

This is my favorite cal for a handgun I think it has to do with my Marine Corp heritage but this is fun ito see.

https://www.full30.com/watch/MDEwOTY2/how-far-will-a-45-acp-kill

I am right there with you Tuffy!! I have owned many handguns thru the years, had a scoped Smith 29 6 inch in 44 mag I did a LOT of deer killing/hunting with which was another of my favorites but gotta tell ya, my 5 inch 1911 is by far,, my favorite to shoot and have around. I know it is wayyy old school and this probably dont mean much by todays standards but it has a Gen 2 hardened slide, adjustable trigger, National Match Barrel/bushing (stuff you military folks used back in the 60's for competition shooting - THANK YOU for your service by the way TuffTom!!), Signature Pachmyer grips and Bo-Mar adjustable sites on her. I have ran thousands of rounds thru it in everything from +P 230's to Hornady XTP Hollow points (for hunting) to 150 Grain flat nose reman's and it will gobble em all up like @Condor and I eatin ButterNut ice cream as long as it's tuned for em. Matter of fact, that is one awesome thing that I have ALWAYS loved about my 1911, it is super easy to tune and clean. Last couple thousand rounds (just ordered and received another 1000 rounds) its been spitting out cheapy 200 grain flat nose remans. Tuned to spit the cases out to 6 feet with a 12 pound recoil spring - the thing LOVES EM! I know the National Match stuff is a thing of days long gone by but I gotta tell ya, this thing will roll a 5 inch ground roller indestructable target ball out past 75 yards if ya practice with it a little - its deadly.. WHAT AN AMAZING OLD SHOOTER FOR SOMETHING DESIGNED/CREATED IN 1911!!!!

@videoarizona,, David,, my AR15 upper parts are suppose to be here today if I am reading the tracker correctly (and if the Post guy can get thru all this white stuff that @Flyinfool left in my driveway)!! Keep an eye on this,, thing is gonna be AWESOME FUN!!DSCN7975.JPGDSCN7976.JPGDSCN7977.JPGDSCN7978.JPGDSCN7980.JPGDSCN7981.JPGDSCN7982.JPGDSCN7974.JPGDSCN7986.JPGDSCN7988.JPG

I am right there with you Tuffy!! I have owned many handguns thru the years, had a scoped Smith 29 6 inch in 44 mag I did a LOT of deer killing/hunting with which was another of my favorites but gotta tell ya, my 5 inch 1911 is by far,, my favorite to shoot and have around. I know it is wayyy old school and this probably dont mean much by todays standards but it has a Gen 2 hardened slide, adjustable trigger, National Match Barrel/bushing (stuff you military folks used back in the 60's for competition shooting - THANK YOU for your service by the way TuffTom!!), Signature Pachmyer grips and Bo-Mar adjustable sites on her. I have ran thousands of rounds thru it in everything from +P 230's to Hornady XTP Hollow points (for hunting) to 150 Grain flat nose reman's and it will gobble em all up like Condor and I eatin ButterNut ice cream as long as it's tuned for em. Matter of fact, that is one awesome thing that I have ALWAYS loved about my 1911, it is super easy to tune and clean. Last couple thousand rounds (just ordered and received another 1000 rounds) its been spitting out cheapy 200 grain flat nose remans. Tuned to spit the cases out to 6 feet with a 12 pound recoil spring - the thing LOVES EM! I know the National Match stuff is a thing of days long gone by but I gotta tell ya, this thing will roll a 5 inch ground roller indestructable target ball out past 75 yards if ya practice with it a little - its deadly.. WHAT AN AMAZING OLD SHOOTER FOR SOMETHING DESIGNED/CREATED IN 1911!!!!

videoarizona,, David,, my AR15 upper parts are suppose to be here today if I am reading the tracker correctly (and if the Post guy can get thru all this white stuff that Flyinfool left in my driveway)!! Keep an eye on this,, thing is gonna be AWESOME FUN!!https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115395https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115394https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115393https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115392https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115391https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115390https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115389https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115388https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115387https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115386

Always great to see a firearm that has been used and enjoyed. I would post some of mine but I lack the skills to do it.:bang head:

Got a question for the Pucster.... Doesn't the serial number part of that AR15 have to go thru an FFL dealer, or are things that much better in Michigan :think:???

I always thought the FFL ruling was the Feds... Maybe it's just Old Fage.... :-)

cowpuc, didn't know how much knowledge you have in the differences between 556 and 223....so I wanted to learn myself and found this....

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

Myself....if I was younger, I think I would like to play around with the 5.7 round. Costs bux but would be fun to play with...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_5.7%C3%9728mm

Anyway. I'm a novice at this stuff....but was an expert shooter in the military. Did enjoy it then but no longer have the muscle co-ordination or steadiness of my youth!

I've read a fair bit on the subject but I'm no expert, the consensus appears to be that 556 & 223 are NOT the same. HOWEVER that said (I don't want to get long winded) if a firearm is marked 556 & 223 there'is no problem using either.

IF it's marked 223, then 556 ammo should NOT be used

IF marked 556 it is generally widely accepted that 223 can also be used.

As I understand it, it's all to do with the pressures generated & the angle of the cartridge shoulder. I know, I know there will be many folks who will say they have shot both calibers from all sorts of rifles, I'm just stating the conclusions I've come to, to make sure I & those around me are safe. Like I said I'm no expert so take this for what it's worth! LOL

I've read a fair bit on the subject but I'm no expert, the consensus appears to be that 556 & 223 are NOT the same. HOWEVER that said (I don't want to get long winded) if a firearm is marked 556 & 223 there'is no problem using either.

IF it's marked 223, then 556 ammo should NOT be used

IF marked 556 it is generally widely accepted that 223 can also be used.

As I understand it, it's all to do with the pressures generated & the angle of the cartridge shoulder. I know, I know there will be many folks who will say they have shot both calibers from all sorts of rifles, I'm just stating the conclusions I've come to, to make sure I & those around me are safe. Like I said I'm no expert so take this for what it's worth! LOL

I wonder how that applies to a Mini 14. My guess would be that .223 would be intended for a bolt action, and that .556 would be for auto loaders. I dunno. Like you said, I've shot both with no problems.:confused07: