IGNORED

please help, what would you do?

OK, as mentioned, the two biggies with the '83 were 2nd gear, and the frame cracking where the rear shock mounts. The frame issue was fixed in '84, the 2nd gear issue was fixed mid '85. IF (big IF) you are mechanically handy the actual part, a washer is only about $8 give or take but it requires splitting the entire motor to get to. Yes, it will go on forever without 2nd gear so it would be up to you.

You place a value on your Wing at $1500. Without seeing the bike or hearing it run, I would place the value of an '83 with 2nd gear out more around the $800 to $1200 price range, less if it is not running at present. A compatible '84 might be closer to $1500 to $2000 if the 2nd gear was good. Of course, the true value is in how much the buyer is willing to pay and how much they desire the bike.

When running properly the Venture is one heck of a great touring bike that you can really get over 200,000 miles out of. They are sometimes referred to a touring bike with the heart of a sports bike as they handle quite well even though they are a tall bike. Also, it is a close to 900-pound bike that will indeed do a wheelie...

Thanks for the info. In his pics he sent me, the chrome part on side of engine shows 1300 and he says it's a 1300 , so what year is it? Or as mentioned above, did someone change clutch cover with 1300 on it?

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were a 1300 2nd gear would not be an issue. The Blondes were made in '83 and '84 for the MK1 model, and in '87 for the MK2. Not to say someone at one time swapped a 1300 into it but if that were the case once again 2nd gear would not be an issue! Yes, somebody may have put a 1300 cover on it as they do fit. You would have to remove the cover to see what kind of a clutch is in there as the 1200's had a 5 spring arrangement whereas the 1300's have a large single disc type of spring.

I take it you have not actually seen the bike yet, much less heard it run. Is this a friend or a total stranger you are dealing with???

If it were a 1300 2nd gear would not be an issue. The Blondes were made in '83 and '84 for the MK1 model, and in '87 for the MK2. Not to say someone at one time swapped a 1300 into it but if that were the case once again 2nd gear would not be an issue! Yes, somebody may have put a 1300 cover on it as they do fit. You would have to remove the cover to see what kind of a clutch is in there as the 1200's had a 5 spring arrangement whereas the 1300's have a large single disc type of spring.

I take it you have not actually seen the bike yet, much less heard it run. Is this a friend or a total stranger you are dealing with???

Stranger. I have not seen the bike. Will check it out in a few weeks. He claims the po before him had it for a long time and he has not had it for very long. In his ad the bike is what you guys call here a blonde, so it's the cream colored two tone but has 1300 on chrome cover. He says it's an 83. I don't believe it runs and he is going to check the mileage on it when he gets back to his storage. He lives 40 min from where he has it stored.

If you can get the VIN that will tell what year it is. There is also a "Born on" date sticker on the frame below the engine but without going out to the garage I've forgotten what side it is on...

If it is an '83 and not running I put that in the parts bike category and worth $500 give or take. If you take the time to totally strip it down and sell the parts on eBay, which can take a very long time, you could get around $1500 total.

I'm starting to think "walk away" or take cash for your wing and find a better one...

Stranger. I have not seen the bike. Will check it out in a few weeks. He claims the po before him had it for a long time and he has not had it for very long. In his ad the bike is what you guys call here a blonde, so it's the cream colored two tone but has 1300 on chrome cover. He says it's an 83. I don't believe it runs and he is going to check the mileage on it when he gets back to his storage. He lives 40 min from where he has it stored.

Here is a pic.

IMG_2824.jpg

IMHO, judging from its forks I would say its a MK1 (83/85) as the later MK2 1300cc models had the electrical anti-dives and the one in the pic has hydraulics. Once again, another way of checking (besides though mentioned) would be to look at the intake connections for the sync gauges. If the #2 intake connection nipple is rubber plugged like the other jugs it is probably an actual 83. If it has a vacuum line leading up to the TCI rack (should have a small check valve in it too).

Either way though, I highly doubt someone dropped a 1300cc/86 or later motor in it as it would not be missing 2nd if they did. More likely a swapped clutch basket cover of just an emblem replacement..

Yup, the headlight, and the hydraulic (not electric) anti-dives prove it is an '83 or '84. I need to see the dash to determine what year as the '83 had a different dash from the rest of them...

IMHO as it stands it's not worth $1500...

Look at the rotors (also '83 - '85) and look at the oil on them. Betcha the forks leaked out all the oil. At best the rotors themselves need to be resurfaced. And speaking of brakes, the MK1 brakes left a lot to be desired! There is a reason they were upgraded in '86! I'm also betting that the right mirror is busted for adjustment but maybe not. With the amount of dust on that bike, I'm thinking it has sat there for several years...

Edited by bongobobny

Yup, the headlight, and the hydraulic (not electric) anti-dives prove it is an '83 or '84. I need to see the dash to determine what year as the '83 had a different dash from the rest of them...

IMHO as it stands it's not worth $1500...

Look at the rotors (also '83 - '85) and look at the oil on them. Betcha the forks leaked out all the oil. At best the rotors themselves need to be resurfaced. And speaking of brakes, the MK1 brakes left a lot to be desired! There is a reason they were upgraded in '86! I'm also betting that the right mirror is busted for adjustment but maybe not. With the amount of dust on that bike, I'm thinking it has sat there for several years...

Wow, that's impressive. The right mirror is busted !!

FYI, i paid $500 for my 89vr non-running due to carb #1 needed fixing. Carbs rebuild was another $600. Battery $120. New front tire $125 and Regulator was $40.

Ive drove it a ton of miles since last year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wow, beautiful bike.

I have an update. I am not going to trade my goldwing. I really was not thinking clearly since I'm starstruck on this yamaha. After some words of wisdom on this forum, I have offered him $500 and he is thinking about it.

Will keep you posted. Hope he accepts. i really want this bike !!

No question about the 500. It was no question about my bike and the man I got it from knew it. Running it would be 1500 or more but not a dime over 500 or I would walk away.

Okay, will do. Thanks

Geez guys, has any tried to see the badging more sympathetically?

Like an identity crisis?

It wants to be a MKII?

It wants to be bigger, better, faster?

It wishes it could pick up the chicks that the bigger, better, faster brother does?

It would like to have more room for chick shoes, slacks, makeup kits, and maybe a mirror with lights?

Or travel further with fewer LT’s of fuel, in more comfort?

Like maybe have the faded blue fast looking chick magnet appeal of big brother? Hmm

Gear heads with little empathy!

Congrats on the purchase. These old bikes are a true joy to ride. I've had an '84 since '96 and have piled a lot of klicks on it. 2nd gear disappeared at about 80k km. I considered living with it, but it bugged the heck out of me, so I took the plunge and decided to fix it. It's not that bad, a good winter's work project. And, has the side benefits of being very educational, and an opportunity to fix or replace a bunch of other stuff in the process. Not much by way of special tools required. Just get yourself a Venture shop manual, and go at it. Here's a link to my experiences:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?120493-Second-gear-repair-redux&highlight=redux

Good luck in any case.

Congrats on the purchase. These old bikes are a true joy to ride. I've had an '84 since '96 and have piled a lot of klicks on it. 2nd gear disappeared at about 80k km. I considered living with it, but it bugged the heck out of me, so I took the plunge and decided to fix it. It's not that bad, a good winter's work project. And, has the side benefits of being very educational, and an opportunity to fix or replace a bunch of other stuff in the process. Not much by way of special tools required. Just get yourself a Venture shop manual, and go at it. Here's a link to my experiences:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?120493-Second-gear-repair-redux&highlight=redux

Good luck in any case.

There is no way I could do this !! Way out of my league.

I read that as well! I have a strong mechanical background and i would NOT be able to do that and I don't have any help as well.

Two weeks ago I met a man and he told me he was going to get one many years ago but wouldn't over the 2 gear issue.

That's really a major repair. But, that's going to be your decision. Skipping the gear sounds good at 500 bucks though!