IGNORED

first impressions on new 09 RSV-S

jdzimme

Brief background;

I have owned too many bikes to list (mostly Yamaha's) and have been riding for about 40 years. Before I purchased the 09 RSV-S on 9/10/2009 I was riding an 07 Road Star (purchased new and has 24,000 miles) and an 08 HD Electra Glide (purchased new and has 21,000 miles). So I do a lot of riding. I am semi-retired so do have some time for lots of rides.

As of today my RSV has about 2,800 miles on it (bought it new 0 miles). The first 600 miles were pure hell. It was HOT, HOT, HOT! Outside temperatures ran from 90 degrees F to 105 degrees F. I thought I had really made the big mistake. I will come back to this later.

Forget the heat comment for a bit and let me tell you about the next 2,000 miles or so.

Pros:

The seat (pillow top) is sooooo comfortable I can easily ride hours without thinking about my butt being uncomfortable. The material does make my bottom sweat however, not sure why. I read here on the forum about Alaska leather and ordered a sheepskin butt pad and that helped.

Power to spare. I am still getting use to keeping the revs up. I find myself in 5th gear way to soon and have to down-shift back where I belong. Just a matter of getting use to the bike.

Ride is great. Very little vibration and everything is where it should be for me.

Headlight is so bright!! I have no trouble riding at night with out the running/passing lights I bought but have not installed.

Handles great! Heard so much about top heavy that I was a little worried and Yamaha would only allow a very short test ride. But a member of the star 153 chapter, let me ride his around in the parking lot to see how it handled with sharp u turns and figure eights. Seemed to handle fine. So I went and bought one. Like any new bike there are some things you have to get use to, but nothing out of the ordinary. With the Road-Star I drug something around almost every curve/corner, but with the Venture I rarely drag anything (completely stock).

Two up, still handles like a champ, put some air in the front and rear shocks to keep from bottoming out and rarely did. Passengers loved the seat and the speakers! Longest ride with passengers was 220 miles, but long enough for them to tell me how it felt.

Absolutely no regrets!! love the bike and wished I had purchase one sooner. I was waiting for Yamaha to add ABS and fuel injection, but gave up after seeing no change for 2010.

there are some cons:

The Kill switch!! I have hit it several times and when I turn it back on I get one hell of a backfire. Should I stop the bike and then restart??

the accessory position on the key!! I have never had “off-acc-on” in this position on any vehicle switch (bike, car or truck). Unless I remove the key each time I leave it on accessory. Bummer!

The CD player does not play MP3. I am trying to fix this with another post.

The cassette player. – 21st century technology – I think not!

Windscreen/windshield too tall. Did not get a short one with it as some of you did.

Engine hangs down below the frame. Purchased the adapter and that works great but still don't like anything hanging below the frame!

The cons are just minor irritants but thought I would mention them.

Back to the heat issues. A shorter windscreen will help get some air moving over the vents in my helmet. I ordered a clearview windscreen with the vents, and shorter. I ordered and just received some adjustable lowers that should help blow some of the heat off when I am moving. Stopped will be another matter. However outside temperature have dropped, and this morning went for a ride with temperatures around 38 degrees F. Did not get chilled at all. In fact with the heavy jacket and chaps on I was too warm. So nice cold weather bike. So I think I can get enough air movement to help the heat issues. Probably won't know until next summer as I think winter is coming fast.

The reason I bought new instead of saving a lot of money by buying used, could not get financing for a used bike at any good interest rates. Plus I am helping the economy grow. Lol.

I absolutely love this bike!!! I think it is the best riding tourer I have ever owned. I would and have recommended this bike to anyone and everyone! I do mention the heat, as there is a lot of it.

Just my first impression!

I will add a photo real soon, the color is seashell/black.

Jerry

Edited by jdzimme
add sentence about photos

I feel the same way about my new RSTD. At first it took a little getting used to coming off a Suzuki LC1500 which sits low and all the weight is down low. I have now gotten used to the difference and find this bike handles very well in the corners. I too am having a hard time getting used to keeping up the RPM's. I don't know about the heat from the engine because we havn't had any since I bought it in early September. The power is great compared to my LC which had a stage 3 kit. This bike I will leave stock as far as the engine goes because it has plenty of power. The seat is uncomfortable but I had a Mustang on the last bike and have ordered one for this one. I don't think anyone has a comforatable stock seat. I am really going to enjoy this bike and will ride a little more this fall but with hunting season upon us not that much. Can't wait till spring.

I got my RSV 9/11.

Ma nature dumped a 500 year flood on north Ga. right after I got it plus my VTX is my daily ride so I only have about 900 miles on it.

I havent noticed the heat but then it hasnt been very hot since I got it either. I'll deal with that when the time comes.

One thing I was expecting with this bike is comfort. I got it. I think the seat is fine and is getting better the more I ride it.

The foward position of the boards is the main reason I went with this instead of a wing. The bars and controlls are in the right spot.

I was not expecting this much power or the handling to be so good. :banana:

I'm sure I'm going to be very happy with the RSV for along time. (I hope so cause, Shirley says I better be).:bowdown:

Edited by Motorcycle Mike

I forgot one of the big pluses! the way it starts!! So quiet and quick. Other bikes make so much noise when they start, but the RSV/RSTD is as quiet or quieter that a car. I love it! Anyone who has not heard an RSV or RSTD start is also very impressed.

I do not think I will change anything about the engine, it runs so good as is.

have a great day

Jerry

Welcome to the family.

The backfire is caused when the throttle is continuing to feed gas into the carbs (and into the cylinders) while it is not running. When you turn back on the kill switch, the bike restarts in immediately ignites the raw gas in the system. Yup, big boom.

If you accidentally hit the kill switch (you will get used to not hitting it), take you hand off the throttle before you turn it back on.

RR

Guest Ken8143
Welcome to the family.

The backfire is caused when the throttle is continuing to feed gas into the carbs (and into the cylinders) while it is not running. When you turn back on the kill switch, the bike restarts in immediately ignites the raw gas in the system. Yup, big boom.

If you accidentally hit the kill switch (you will get used to not hitting it), take you hand off the throttle before you turn it back on.

RR

Are you ever right about the big boom. I hit the kill switch by accident, did n't know why it stopped running and cranked the throttle several times - then noticed the kill switch was off. turned it on. BANG. Dyed my underwear.

Welcome.

Remove the lower air deflectors when it is warm out and you will get a nice wind over the lower fairing and will hit you in chest.

The loud bang you may also get if you ride with the choke on, carbs out of sync or in higher altitudes.

Brad

Brad,

are you talking about the deflectors connected to the bottom of the fairing? if so, when i remove them, what happens to the space in the fairing? do i need to put a shim in there of equal thickness to the deflector.

or

are you talking about the deflectors connected to the fork? I kind of tried to remove them but I think Yami coated the bolts, because I put quite a bit of torque on the bolts and they would not give. I did not want to break anything so i stopped. if you are talking about these deflectors, I may take it to the dealer who helped me before and see if they will break them loose for me.

Jerry

I bought my 09 RSV on 09-26. I came off an 07 Suzuki c50T. My wife asked "Why do

want another touring bike?" She now understands after the first 500 miles. It is an adjustment for the height and weight of the bike, but not an un-pleasant one. The

weight seems to really keep the bike stable. I really like the sound system, but haven't

used the CD changer yet. I bought show chrome headsets that work with full or half helmets. The intercom is the best I've heard. I get to fifth gear too quick as well and

back down to 4th. I drove 250 miles to trade for this bike but got it for 13999! After the

trade I came out at under 10K for a great bike. Mine is the seashell/blk as well.

I thought I got a good deal, but yours is about a thousand less. you got one heck of a deal. With our temperatures down in the high 30s to mid 40s this bike keeps me warm. between all the deflectors, fairing and the heat it puts out, I am warm with just a summer jacket. great cold weather bike!

Jerry

+1 on the danged kill switch! (Though you will learn to avoid it!) As for the heat, I cut down the stock shield about 5 inches (kept original contour) and it makes a great summer shield. For cold weather went with the Yamaha 2+ inch wider @ 17" high. Great weather protection!

Brief background;

there are some cons:

The Kill switch!! I have hit it several times and when I turn it back on I get one hell of a backfire. Should I stop the bike and then restart??

Jerry

That is not a "con" when you see a few of those "fainting" goats,,,,,,,,,,,:smile5: Yep! it will make you laugh real good.:whistling:

Bryan

I live in Florida and it is HOT here most of the time,, I leave the fork wings on all the time but I added the adjustable side vents www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelscitemdetail/5/4/83/408/2009/1/4607/0/0/detail.aspx . You can close them when it is cold to make you warmer, and open them when it is hot to get air flow on your feet and legs. I also added a Clearview windshield with a Goldwing vent in it. http://clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=65 . Makes a huge difference. You can buy all the parts for the vent from www.Bikebandit.com . It is OEM for the newer 1800 wings. If you feel like modifiying your stock shield to save money.

Big problem with the stock sheild is that for some reason even at 65 to 70 mph, when it is raining the water drops do not blow off. I personally do not like looking over the windshield so it was a real problem for me.. The Clearview is more swept back and water runs off it much better.. Also my clearview is an XXL so it is taller than stock, which my wife likes as it eliminates the buffetting she experienced on the back of her helmet with the stock shield.

I take the lowers off the fairing and the fork defletors to in the summer, no need for shims in the fairing the bolts that hold the lowers on, do no hold the fairing together.

Much cooler ride, also and drivers road pegs to the forward crash bars and when you stretch your legs out on the wind will blow up your pants legs, we I get my feet in the right place air flows all the way up my legs, like air conditioning.

Also I have a narrow cut down windshield for summer, and a wide show chrome low shield for winter.

Gregg

Gregg,

that is exactly the information I was looking for. I attempted to take the lower fairing/cowling off and ran into wiring so I stopped at that point. but next summer I will definitely remove the deflectors (fork and fairing)and allow some air movement. I also bought the adjustable lowers that was recommended but have not installed them yet. probably next week. it has cooled off here considerabley so the urgency has diminished. I was in a rain storm the other day and agree with you, the rain did not flow off the windscreen. I have ordered the clearview with vents but has not arrived yet. I knew I needed more air movement.

thanks again

Jerry

Holy crap, $15,500 out the door for an 09 RSV-S!!! The $13,999 quote, I though was plus all the BS.

I feel like I got cheated now. Mine was $17,200 out the door in California. Our sales tax is a ridiculous 8.25% and license fees are high as well but even with that :bawling:

After I bought mine I did find brand new 08s selling around the $15,500 out the door price. that is one of the reasons I try not to look at other deals after I purchase something.

Bottom line, I thought I got a good deal so...

Love the bike.

Jerry

Just a note on the Clearview, because of the angle of the screen anything shinny on the tank will reflect in you line of sight at times, so you may want to get a gas cap cover.

The gas cap reflection was a real annoyance even on my stock shield. I painted the cap with flat black spraypaint. No more reflection.

I live in Florida too and I used to remove my fork deflectors in the summer. Since I went with the vented Clearview shield I have not had to remove the deflectors. Even with the new deflectors (wider and longer than stock) I still had no issues with heat. Im also running the lower fairing seflectors which direct air much better than no deflectors. On hot days the RSV engine will cook the inside of your thighs though. Smells like chicken BBQ'ing.....:scared: