IGNORED

Highway 1 in California

Guest Thumper

Guest Thumper

Highway 1 "Shoreline Drive" is just an incredible road. It has everything you could want in a road. Curves with Cliffside vistas of the Pacific Ocean. Little to no traffic (occasional yellow line drifters so watch out). Small, rustic towns to visit and eat lunch.

The best way to ride it, is from the North so you are next to the water.

You can take side trips through the Red Wood forests.

Absolutely amazing views so take several days to absorb this world class road.

Had the pleasure of riding down Pacific 1 this past June and of the nearly 12,000 miles of the trip, that stretch of road sets the twisty bar. Ran the Tail of the Dragon on my way home from Vogel in Aug. Man, now thats a great road (lost my rear brakes riding two-up pulling a trailer). The Dragon is a kiddie ride in comparison to US 1 from Legget out to the coast.

I would make the trip out to the west coast just to ride that road again.

Had the pleasure of riding down Pacific 1 this past June and of the nearly 12,000 miles of the trip, that stretch of road sets the twisty bar. Ran the Tail of the Dragon on my way home from Vogel in Aug. Man, now thats a great road (lost my rear brakes riding two-up pulling a trailer). The Dragon is a kiddie ride in comparison to US 1 from Legget out to the coast.

I would make the trip out to the west coast just to ride that road again.

Why is the dragon a kiddie ride? Is it just shorter? Or less twisty? I had no idea we had that good of a road out here.

Anyone ever heard of the "mini" dragon? Its on HWY 49. In the gold country.

Why is the dragon a kiddie ride? Is it just shorter? Or less twisty? I had no idea we had that good of a road out here.

Of all the asphalt my wife and I had the pleasure of riding this summer the stretch of road from Legget out to the coast is the only time my wife has tossed her cookies on the bike.:wow:My wife loves riding coasters

I think you're talking about the stretch of 49 between Hwy 89 and Nevada City. 57 miles of twisties. Haven't done it yet, but it's high on the list of 2do's...

Fun road, 49 is a great road, as is ... We gota bunch of them out here and many start within a few miles of us here in NorCal and they are all over California for that matter. Here in Sacramento we are a jumping off point for many great rides. And Thumper ... you got a great bike for our roads out here.

Guest Thumper

I would have loved to done a little of 49 but Shorline Drive was a treasure as far as what I get to ride normally in the South. I consider myself fortunate to have had the opportunity and I will certainly be out that way again to try some of the other side roads in that great state.

Could have been a little warmer in June for me. My wife and I were the only ones riding around with Jackets on when we were there.

• 5 months later...
Guest PT_Cruiser

I live in Roseville, near Sacramento, and I am trying to find a good day ride or maybe spend 1 night. Normally when I go to the coast (by car) we head to Bodega Bay. Highway 80 to 37 to Lakeville on to Petaluma, then take the Bodega Highway on out. According to this thread, I should go south.. So perhaps I ought to head toward Fort Bragg or Mendocino and then south to Bodega?

If that is the case, I think I'd take 65 to Marysville and pick up highway 20 west through Colusa, Clear Lake and on to the coast then down.

What do you think?

Last year Brad and I took 36 from Red Bluff to Fortuna and then we took 101 north up into Oregon and WOW what a ride!! Just make sure you gas up in Red Bluff!! 299 is also a great road out there. It runs from Redding to Eureka!! I wish we had more time when we were out there, because there are soooo many roads to travel.

Have fun, and either way you go, I'm sure you will find some intresting roads!

• 5 years later...

My wife and I love Hwy1 from Leggett San Fran. However, the last time we took it we had the venture with us, but it was strapped on the back of our motorhome. ( A converted Greyhound bus ) We also were towing our Jeep. Three times trying to complete turns we had to backup to make it. Our motorhome now has its first scrape mark on it , as well as the jeep. Guard rails are placed at the very edge of the road. No shoulder at all. Next time I would rather take just the Venture.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
I've started planning next years trip from Edmonton to San Fran. It will be the PCH from Astoria OR to Stinson Beach CA. Departure early June 2017.

When you get to Stewards Point on 1 in California head east on Skaggs Springs Road and ride it till your hearts content. Its an AMAZING unknown road way thru Red Woods that will make you wonder why the Red Wood National Forest north of there was chosen and not this spot = JUST BEAUTIFUL!! Lots of extremly tight hair pins on a single wide paved path in spots - have fun and enjoy your journey!!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Stewarts+Point,+CA+95480/@38.6833189,-123.4033389,16956m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8086b518cabccc8f:0x3fa18b437678f20e!8m2!3d38.6524433!4d-123.3988916

When you get to Stewards Point on 1 in California head east on Skaggs Springs Road and ride it till your hearts content. Its an AMAZING unknown road way thru Red Woods that will make you wonder why the Red Wood National Forest north of there was chosen and not this spot = JUST BEAUTIFUL!! Lots of extremly tight hair pins on a single wide paved path in spots - have fun and enjoy your journey!!

WOW!! This is an oldie but goody thread. So may old friends and members who have wandered off over the years. For me, it was a trip down memory lane....

:thumbsup2: